• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

So I've been watching Giant Bomb for quite a while, I actually don't watch cable television, it's either Netflix, YouTube or Giant Bomb. I've actually gotten my girlfriend a bit addicted to it as well, she'll see that I'm watching whatever new Quick Look or Unprofessional Fridays and sit down with me, she's gotten more familiar with everyone over time.

A few days ago though she dropped a bomb on me. She mentioned to me that Drew is a handsome man, I agreed, then she said that she had a dream that she slept with him. In that dream she told me what happened and my reply in her dream? Awesome! My reply in real life to her telling me? Awesome! (She asked me if I was going to post about it as well...)

Joking aside, I hope Drew's Patreon works out and can't wait for that content, his travel videos were the best!

🤙

J_Viper

Holy fuck, ME was so bad it made Jeff come around to Wildlands.

As someone who's 90 minutes into that game, it's pretty chill. I'm playing solo with podcasts in the background, and it's fulfilling that Ubisoft Trance craving I get every so often. The shooting actually feels solid.

"You scanned me pretty hard."

what does that even mean, Ryder?! Christ ME:A is such a fascinating mess. The bugs are so frequent and I've talked to several people who have had all of the same bugs with the same regularity as me. It's fucking INSANE. Add on all of the baffling design decisions, it's just fascinating. The combat is great though, I'm really liking it. And a few memebers of the Tempest crew are doing it for me but as a whole, holy shit what a bummer.

Edit: want the fuck, I just met some Salarian who works for The Collective which is lead by The Charlatan, a mysterious information broker who is never seen in person and no one knows who he/she is. Why is EVERYTHIG in this game just some knock off of a thing from the main game some? They have a goddamn shadow broker equivalent. Oh boy.

Teak cups. They said it was the smoothest cup out of the fostex variants so I'm happy for that.

Yeah I did warn you that the rabbit hole goes down deep. Sometimes it's best to just be happy with what you have.

That said I've been looking to the ZMF Eikons as an upgrade path....

I really like how those look. If you do ever get them, please let me know how they sound!

"You scanned me pretty hard."

what does that even mean, Ryder?! Christ ME:A is such a fascinating mess. The bugs are so frequent and I've talked to several people who have had all of the same bugs with the same regularity as me. It's fucking INSANE. Add on all of the baffling design decisions, it's just fascinating. The combat is great though, I'm really liking it. And a few memebers of the Tempest crew are doing it for me but as a whole, holy shit what a bummer.

Edit: want the fuck, I just met some Salarian who works for The Collective which is lead by The Charlatan, a mysterious information broker who is never seen in person and no one knows who he/she is. Why is EVERYTHIG in this game just some knock off of a thing from the main game some? They have a goddamn shadow broker equivalent. Oh boy.

Get Nier.

ME:A really does seem like a masterclass of bad writing. My face can't get over some of the stuff the characters say--it's either anachronistic or downright insane.

Also, I'd criticise the VO more, but I'm thinking now that the actors were thrown under the bus just like every other part of the game was. So I'll bear with them. Bad direction can really ruin VO work, I think.
is that the same as HRTF that Valve implemented in CSGO? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BltHXngvlk

I dunno if it's the same underlying tech or anything, but the effect seems similar. In Overwatch's case it just makes it easier to tell the location of sounds, especially useful when there's a lot going on.

Overwatch has really good sound design, with footsteps, hero callouts, gunfire, ability effects, and quips that let you know what's going on, so having locational audio like that is sogood.jpg.

Holy fuck, ME was so bad it made Jeff come around to Wildlands.

As someone who's 90 minutes into that game, it's pretty chill. I'm playing solo with podcasts in the background, and it's fulfilling that Ubisoft Trance craving I get every so often. The shooting actually feels solid.

The problem with Mass Effect is that nothing about the game is great and people only have so much money and so much time and there are way better games out there.

Kimaka

Amidst all this Andromeda talk, I became nostalgic for a better Bioware game, Dragon Age. While searching for the quick look, I came across this: QOTW: 11/08/09.

This is some playstation underground type shit. I never knew they used to showcase user-created content since I didn't star following Giant Bomb until 2011. Some of these QOTWs are gold.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
maybe Andromeda will be OK after several more patches...?

i'm struggling to reach the acceptance stage of a Mass Effect game being trash :(

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Amidst all this Andromeda talk, I became nostalgic for a better Bioware game, Dragon Age. While searching for the quick look, I came across this: QOTW: 11/08/09.

This is some playstation underground type shit. I never knew they used to showcase user-created content since I didn't star following Giant Bomb until 2011. Some of these QOTWs are gold.

There is a specific best one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8bC4j22iOM

maybe Andromeda will be OK after several more patches...?

i'm struggling to reach the acceptance stage of a Mass Effect game being trash :(

I love Mass Effect so much and am about 20 hours into Andromeda and patches aren't going to fix the fundamentals of this game. Yes, it is undeniably a buggy mess but even if it was perfectly polished the writing is still pretty uninteresting (there's some ok stuff here and there), the main plot is a mix of confusing and rote, the main character is straight up terrible, there is no sense of exploration or wonder or mystery to the planets since they are all littered with terrible fetch quests and repetition. The only thing I think is genuinely great about it is the combat. I am having a hoot with it. And it's kind of the thing I look forward to most while playing it. And most of the environments are really beautiful, but all of the charm and personality that made the original trilogy, especially ME1 and ME2, so great is gone, evaporated. Like it never existed in the first place.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I love Mass Effect so much and am about 20 hours into Andromeda and patches aren't going to fix the fundamentals of this game. Yes, it is undeniably a buggy mess but even if it was perfectly polished the writing is still pretty uninteresting (there's some ok stuff here and there), the main plot is a mix of confusing and rote, the main character is straight up terrible, there is no sense of exploration or wonder or mystery to the planets since they are all littered with terrible fetch quests and repetition. The only thing I think is genuinely great about it is the combat. I am having a hoot with it. And it's kind of the thing I look forward to most while playing it. And most of the environments are really beautiful, but all of the charm and personality that made the original trilogy, especially ME1 and ME2, so great is gone, evaporated. Like it never existed in the first place.

this sounds worse than i could've possibly imagined
pcYaPJr.png

and now it just just hit me that the Infinite Warfare campaign might be a better Mass Effect game than Andromeda
pcYaPJr.png

Has Bioware made any commitment to directly following up Andromeda? Because of sales aren't there, I wouldn't be surprised if they revisit The Shepard for the next entry.

valeo

So huh... I just played a bit of ME:A and I must admit I'm not completely turned off by it... not as much as I expected anyway...

Granted I'm still super early in the tutorial mission so I'm sure that's the most polished part of the game and it's also still very linear.

It sure does feel like the DA:I version of Mass Effect (as many people feared it would be since it was announced).

Anyway... I was planning on playing for like an hour or two just out of curiosity and then get a refund... I even installed ME1 earlier today because I've been thinking about doing a playthrough of the original trilogy instead but now I kinda want to play more MEA...

Also, on PC with everything maxed out I was surprised to think it actually looked good... Then again, like I said, that's the most polished part of the game and super linear.

Don't feel bad for liking it. I feel like no one has said it's a horrible game; it's mostly just disappointment because it could've been a lot better. You can say that about most games.

Megasoum

Banned
Don't feel bad for liking it. I feel like no one has said it's a horrible game; it's mostly just disappointment because it could've been a lot better. You can say that about most games.

Yeah but the problem is the 24h window for the refund lol. I need to decide what to do.

pizzacat

Banned
I just passed the ball to a guy across the field, the lady next to him couldn't block it but then the ball came to me again (somehow) to get blocked by the person next to me?

What

I just passed the ball to a guy across the field, the lady next to him couldn't block it but then the ball came to me again (somehow) to get blocked by the person next to me?

What

Blitzball is terrible. If you manage to score a goal and are leading in the 2nd half, grab the ball and hide behind your net. The AI won't chase you and you can run the clock out.

TraBuch

Banned
You change to manual pushing triangle or square during the match. It's a formation. Blitzball's actually really easy once you're able to recruit players. There're three people in Luca you can hire right away that makes things so much simpler; Jumal, Wedge and Zalitz. If you're having trouble with the story match, it's really not a big deal. All you get for winning is a Luck sphere I think.

Was I supposed to wait for wakka?

No, his return to the field is scripted, but if you have the Jecht Shot then you can get a point in at a better chance than the Jecht-Shot-less Wakka.

You change to manual pushing triangle or square during the match. It's a formation. Blitzball's actually really easy once you're able to recruit players. There're three people in Luca you can hire right away that makes things so much simpler; Jumal, Wedge and Zalitz. If you're having trouble with the story match, it's really not a big deal. All you get for winning is a Luck sphere I think.

And the satisfaction that the Goers, the worst name for a sports team ever in FF, didn't win.

TraBuch

Banned
I don't have to do it again right?
Only if you want to unlock all of Wakka's Overdrive reels and get an item to unlock his Ultimate weapon. You don't need either, but I would suggest you play enough to get his Attack Reels. It's his best overdrive and it's the first one you can win.

danm999

You don't ever have to play Blitzball again unless you want Wakka's Celestial weapon and other overdrive modes.

If you do, god help you. So tedious.

TraBuch

Banned
Eh, it's not so bad. Only have to win like 25 matches.

Probably breaks up the repetition of Capturing Monsters.

I recently played the game again for the first time since it was new on the PS2 and accidentally beat it when I was just two monsters short of getting 10 of every monster in the game.

daveo42

Banned
You don't ever have to play Blitzball again unless you want Wakka's Celestial weapon and other overdrive modes.

If you do, god help you. So tedious.

I did that. I think I got all the ultimate weapons for everyone on the PS2. Including the lightning one, which wasn't that bad. The one that was probably the worst without the guide was Auron's, as his was a random spot on the map, meaning hunting X:Y coordinates till you found the right spot.

TraBuch

Banned
Yeah it's not too bad once you figure out you can keep resetting your data when a League comes up with no Reels or Sigil prize.
It's especially easy when you're at the point where you can just recruit Brother immediately after every reset. He makes the game ezmode.

Top Bottom