• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think it has some significant pacing issues compared to Platinum's other stuff. Found Route A to be slow at times and B...well, you know.

MGR, the Bayonettas, and Vanquish just fly by.

Because you can finish MGR and Vanquish in like, 4 hours. :p

I dunno, you can pretty much fly through nier as well if you mainline it. I did stop to do the sidequests though and I'm glad that I did. They do a really good job making these goofy ass robots imitate humans only that they have a couple steps removed on how to imitate us.

Route B was kinda eh at the first half but then it starts picking up when you see how the character for that route really diverged.

robotrock

Banned
they flew by because theyre 5-10 hours long and not open world rpgs. Its pretty clear that Yoko Taro wanted the player to grow attached to the characters and world (which is why route B is the way it is)
I had a pretty boring time with the first ten hours of Nier. I warmed up to it around Route C.

I don't think it's as cut and dry as "Nier is the longest so that's why."

robotrock

Banned
Bayonetta can honestly get kinda tedious imho, and MGR has a couple of long bits where you're just fighting through offices.

If there's one thing I think Platinum haven't nailed yet it's environmental art. Even their fantastical locations are frequently pretty drab.

yeah they aren't great on that. I think I really felt this with Transformers especially

Antiwhippy

I just think that fights with ordinary mooks in platinum games are never the fights that you're there for.

Nier at least breaks it up with variety more often than a MGR or vanquish.

Also I really like the hacking minigame.

When it comes to Platinum, their smooth ass 60FPS gameplay with stylish animation plus combat pretty much overshadows everything else in my eyes. Nobody makes action games as exhilarating as them.

Does persona use the thicc power of the ps4 pro at all?

No pro support. It doesn't even really utilize the full power of the regular PS4. It is an uprezzed PS3 game locked at 30fps. At best the pro will make thing load a second earlier and keep the frame rate at 30fps for those times it drops when in boost mode but after playing the Japanese version loading is already snappy so it wont matter to much and it rarely dropped frames.

robotrock

Banned
I just think that fights with ordinary mooks in platinum games are never the fights that you're there for.

Nier at least breaks it up with variety more often than a MGR or vanquish.

Also I really like the hacking minigame.

I think the regular switching up of gameplay styles definitely helps it.

The hacking mini game was really welcome for me on Route B. Definitely played the game differently and made the most out of that.

why did people like vanquish

Like Max Payne 3, it depends on how you play. If you're taking cover and shooting, you're playing it wrong(I hate saying that).

PBwrXXO.gif

Also, there's a dedicated smoking button.

tomhan

I just finished watching the Persona 5 quicklook and I'm not sure if it is saying something bad about me or good about Vinny and Jeff but I have no desire to play Persona 5 but I really want to watch them play through the whole thing.

Antiwhippy

Still have much love for bayo that I still consider it their best game.

I don't consider Nier as a platinum game mostly because what I enjoyed the most out of it is the yoko taro parts. The platinum parts make getting to the yoko taro parts more enjoyable than usual though.

Drakengard 1+3 remaster by platinum when?

pizzacat

Banned
Still have much love for bayo that I still consider it their best game.

I don't consider Nier as a platinum game mostly because what I enjoyed the most out of it is the yoko taro parts. The platinum parts make getting to the yoko taro parts more enjoyable than usual though.

Drakengard 1+3 remaster by platinum when?
I know 2 wasn't yoko but I liked it more than 3 :<

Hindl

Haven't played Nier, but I go back and forth between W101 and Bayonetta 2 for my favorite Platinum game (deciding between bayo 1 and 2 is hard enough). Bayo 2 is the more overall solid game throughout, but W101 has some of the highest highs I've ever seen in a game. The problem is that there are some real low lows in that game where entire chapters are terrible trying a different gameplay type. But that Saturday morning cartoon vibe is also awesome

The series finale of Review (on Comedy Central) is on tonight and I don't know how to cope with it. It was such a brilliant show, I hope the ending is satisfying.

robotrock

Banned
They probably didn't install the PC fix for Nier right?

No that was a prerendered cutscene I think with the same bad framerate on everything.

I don't know if they actually installed the fix for Nier or not but I don't think they need it because there's a 1080 in there

The series finale of Review (on Comedy Central) is on tonight and I don't know how to cope with it. It was such a brilliant show, I hope the ending is satisfying.

It's been fantastic so far, and they've had all this time to come up with a finale in a three-episode season, so I can't imagine they'll bungle it.

Megasoum

Banned
aren't you playing the new mass effect &#55357;&#56384;

Yup and actually enjoying it (so far anyway...still somewhat early).

It's janky as fuck for sure (I don't care about the animations but it's super buggy) but whatever... Still having fun.

I mean... The game has really big issues no doubt about it but I feel like the pile on since pre-release has been a bit ridiculous.

Antiwhippy

That went better than expected.

I don't expect everyone to love the things I do because I have a lot of niches, but I'm glad to see that they dig what they played.

Now to see if they'll stick with it till route c.

Moaradin

Wish they played a little bit more and got to the amusement park but I'm glad they're enjoying it and want to play more. I hope someone other than Alex actually finishes the game.

Top Bottom