• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Hindl

Yeah. I just used regular shipping and the post came without it already. I don't actually care too much, I'm not going to get to put time into it until Thursday.

Oh alright. In the US usually packages for us come independently of the regular mail, sometimes delivered by entirely different companies. So it's normal for your package not to arrive until the late afternoon

bgbball31

Post office came through! Called them yesterday to tell them to hold my package and not load it on the truck. Went in right after work and was able to pick up Persona 5 in just a few minutes.

I watched the quick look, but seeing that opening on my TV... I could watch it forever. This game is a shoe-in for Best Styyyyyyle, right?

Catvoca

Banned
Oh alright. In the US usually packages for us come independently of the regular mail, sometimes delivered by entirely different companies. So it's normal for your package not to arrive until the late afternoon

We have private companies too, they usually handle bigger packages, but I cheaped out and got free shipping which just comes with our regular mail service.

Kimaka

surprised more people don't buy digital. i was able to stay up way too late playing last night when it unlocked at midnight and now i'm suffering through work

worth it

Steelbooks are cool and I won't be able to play until Wednesday night anyway. Maaaybe tonight if I feel like it after work.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Steelbooks are cool and I won't be able to play until Wednesday night anyway. Maaaybe tonight if I feel like it after work.
Steel books are cool. They're even cooler a few months for now on eBay when they're $20. Definitely have started doing that lately if I want a sweet physical copy but would rather have a digital install.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I haven't played any of the 20 good games released this year other than RE7. I hope to change that with Yooka-Laylee next week.

Suplexer

Playing through Kingdom Hearts 2 before Persona 5 shows up and Pence looks like what I imagine teenage Jeff Gerstmann looked like.

What do y'all think??

latest

Why does his shirt look like a menu from Persona 5?

Yup. I was interested in it on Switch, and for $25 it was easy

Well if it is, the Switch version won't be out until months after release, so I can just cancel if reviews are bad

I ordered too, but I'll probably cancel for one or more of the following reasons:

1. I don't know if the game will be good.
2. I probably want it on PC if at all.
3. If I want it on Switch, I'd prefer to have it digitally.

alr1ght

Y-L seems exactly the game they were trying to make. The best n64 platform collectathons would get terrible scores today and that's fine.

Hindl

I didn't know this. Waaack.

When they announced the date for everyone else, they said Switch would be "shortly afterward", but I'm expecting mid July or something. Can't expect much else when Nintendo gave out dev kits so late. Who knows though? Maybe it'll only be a week or two after

Y-L seems exactly the game they were trying to make. The best n64 platform collectathons would get terrible scores today and that's fine.

As a person who complains that too many newer games come out looking/acting retro without actually playing or performing retro, this is why I'm still looking forward to it. Really interested in an "accurate to era" experience in a new game.

Bacon

Seeing some of those pre release videos of yooka laylee really put me off that game. I don't think that game would have been good 20 years ago, let alone now. The level design seemed real bland.

alr1ght

I mean it looked like people got exactly what they wanted.

Pretty much. Polygon complaining about the lack of a mini-map is too much.

It seems like a game Jeff would give a 2/5 and Dan a 5/5, simply due to their age.

I'm actually quite happy this game has both 2/10s and 10/10s.

If people are paying to fuck progress then eh. It knows exactly what it wants to be and so did their backers.

In the end a niche is a niche.

you can do the retro throwback but still do smart shit to make it a better playing game

look at Doom

Doom doesn't lose its identity because you can look up and down and jump now

Meneses

I don't know, I was never interested in YL (or these kinds of games growing up) but this seems like a decent game for people who did like them.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
you can do the retro throwback but still do smart shit to make it a better playing game

look at Doom

Doom doesn't lose its identity because you can look up and down and jump now

I mean that's fair. I'm not say that YL will be remembered as a great piece of work, I'm just of the opinion that niche games and people who like them should be allowed to exist. Doom had a goal of elevating itself from its legacy, it's fine if YL didn't though. It'll just pass into obscurity way before something like doom does.

Speaking of incredible niches though how the fuck did yoko taro direct a million seller?

Ah alright, I'm assuming digital for everyone for some reason. 😥😥

I mean digital is the one true way to get games. Fuck getting off the couch to switch discs that take up shelf space. I had to work today otherwise I'd already be playing. Will hopefully get ~5 hours in tonight though.

I dunno... I played Banjo Kazooie to completion again about a year ago and I still think that game is pretty great (although it drags at the end). It'd be like a 7 or 8 out of 10 today I think. Tooie and DK64 probably hold up worse. I played Tooie for the first time on the 360 and was frankly pretty bored by it. Just gigantic levels that you spend a lot of time wandering around aimlessly trying to root out collectibles.

But I agree with the sentiment that they really should have tried to modernize and bring something new to the genre like Snake Pass or Grow Home. But that wouldn't have sold as well on Kickstarter.

You know what's a good game whose mechanics would still hold up well in 2017? Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts.

alr1ght

Nuts & Bolts was terrible.

Either way, that Snake Pass game looks excellent. Wishlisted.

New Shovel Knight campaign tomorrow and YL next week. I should be set for awhile.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm not gonna let GB rewrite history, Nuts and Bolts was awful.
I'm still hopeful for YL, haven't really read anything too bad so far. It seems to be what I wanted it to be + plus some janky camera and performance issues.

Top Bottom