• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

6vZCVed.png

"Why are we still here Jason? Just to suffer?"

hamchan

Yeah not complaining or anything and I understand learning new equipment takes time, just curious.

He's joking.

It's always a shitshow at the start of streams or it starts late which tells us it has been a shitshow off screen.

It's part of the GB package.

daveo42

Banned
Which excuse is your favorite? I'm partial to "it's summer you can't expect GB(W) to do things and make content" but "It's X months before/after E3 what do you expect" has to be up there too

E3 is coming. The last Bombcast confirmed it's just around the corner.

Hindl

The "they have families" excuse doesn't really work when half the world is married or have family to look after, and they don't get Mondays off, or get to come into work at 10am, or are doing much more laborious work at more hours in general.

And the attachment to Persona 4 characters sounds like a hollow reason to me too. It's been 9 years and the games are standalone from each other. Like, how do they play any other game after Persona 4 now apparently? Is Persona 4 the be all and end all of video games? If Persona 5 wasn't called Persona 5 and called like "High School Danger Thieves: Zero Dawn: Blood and Wine" would their attachment to the Persona 4 characters not matter anymore?

The families thing means that they can't just work late anymore if something goes wrong, and like I said, they're a part of a giant corporate conglomerate. You've seen Vinny talk about his day, and Jeff is the boss of the entire thing, and probably has to report to CBSi management all the time. I'd bet that over half of their day is spent in meetings, so that gives them around 4 hours a day to do stuff. All those Youtubers doing daily streams and stuff don't have nearly the corporate mess hanging over them that Jeff and Vinny do. I'm not saying their jobs are easy, but they have a lot more time in a day to devote to actually doing content. Consider that an episode is probably going to be around an hour and a half long, and they're recording that every day, and then give another hour-hour and a half at least for editing and uploading the content every day, and if they did the P5 endurance run that would pretty much be the only content Jeff and Vinny have time to do other than the respective podcasts. Like, where do you think this time is going to fit in? Because a P5 ER would pretty much mean Alex and Dan steering all GBE content, with Brad and Jason doing GBW. They probably wouldn't even have time for respective GBE playdates/UPF.

As for the other stuff, look at Final Fantasy games between VII and X. They all have generally the same structure in their design and combat and the main differences are the characters, stories, and world, along with combat enhancements and changes. Yet there are people who love one of those games but have no interest in the other ones. If it didn't have the Persona name they wouldn't even have Quick Looked it

ev0

Which excuse is your favorite? I'm partial to "it's summer you can't expect GB(W) to do things and make content" but "It's X months before/after E3 what do you expect" has to be up there too

"there's not enough releases during the summer to do quicklooks"

and

"theres too many games in the fall to do quickooks"

oti

Banned
It's not that bad. It's fun if repetitive. Also, I know there's a twist and I'm a sucker for twists!

I promised I would finish more games!

I feel you and MGSV is a really well-made game but maaaan is it repetitive. I was just bored once I reached the second map. So I stopped. Looked up the twist. Moved on. Don't regret it at all.

kiguel182

I feel you and MGSV is a really well-made game but maaaan is it repetitive. I was just bored once I reached the second map. So I stopped. Looked up the twist. Moved on. Don't regret it at all.

I wish it wasn't this long. I looked up how many missions there were and couldn't believe it. (I do know some are repeting old ones).

I have until the 26th to decide so let's see how it goes.

hamchan

The families thing means that they can't just work late anymore if something goes wrong, and like I said, they're a part of a giant corporate conglomerate. You've seen Vinny talk about his day, and Jeff is the boss of the entire thing, and probably has to report to CBSi management all the time. I'd bet that over half of their day is spent in meetings, so that gives them around 4 hours a day to do stuff. All those Youtubers doing daily streams and stuff don't have nearly the corporate mess hanging over them that Jeff and Vinny do. I'm not saying their jobs are easy, but they have a lot more time in a day to devote to actually doing content. Consider that an episode is probably going to be around an hour and a half long, and they're recording that every day, and then give another hour-hour and a half at least for editing and uploading the content every day, and if they did the P5 endurance run that would pretty much be the only content Jeff and Vinny have time to do other than the respective podcasts. Like, where do you think this time is going to fit in? Because a P5 ER would pretty much mean Alex and Dan steering all GBE content, with Brad and Jason doing GBW. They probably wouldn't even have time for respective GBE playdates/UPF.

As for the other stuff, look at Final Fantasy games between VII and X. They all have generally the same structure in their design and combat and the main differences are the characters, stories, and world, along with combat enhancements and changes. Yet there are people who love one of those games but have no interest in the other ones

You're making it sound like they have literally no time in the world to do a P5 endurance run or anything new at all. Yeah, this isn't true. Where do I think it would fit in? Monday? The space opened by Film and 40s finishing? Cutting some random QLs to give more time? Also they certainly don't record it every day and they never have btw. One recording session can provide content for multiple days.

How do they ever record new things with how busy they are? I'm not even saying they have to do it ASAP. Just wait for a good slot and time of the year to record it the same way they did for the other endurance runs they somehow managed to squeeze into their extremely full schedules that apparently prevent them from doing anything. I don't even care if it's an endurance run. It can be something like Metal Gear Scanlon, Yakuza or every other full playthrough of games they do on the site. Oh man, how did they ever squeeze those into the timetable. Just saying, this is a real flimsy reason to me.

Also bringing up Final Fantasy proves my point? That's a series where each entry is completely standalone from each other. No one rational thinks that a past FF game being great will stop them playing more, because a future game can't ever tarnish the story of the past game (unless you're a direct sequel like X-2).

Hindl

You're making it sound like they have literally no time in the world to do a P5 endurance run or anything new at all. Yeah, this isn't true. Where do I think it would fit in? Monday? The space opened by Film and 40s finishing? Cutting some random QLs to give more time? Also they certainly don't record it every day and they never have btw. One recording session can provide content for multiple days.

How do they ever record new things with how busy they are? I'm not even saying they have to do it ASAP. Just wait for a good slot and time of the year to record it the same way they did for the other endurance runs they somehow managed to squeeze into their extremely full schedules that apparently prevent them from doing anything. I don't even care if it's an endurance run. It can be something like Metal Gear Scanlon, Yakuza or every other full playthrough of games they do on the site. Oh man, how did they ever squeeze those into the timetable. Just saying, this is a real flimsy reason to me.

Also bringing up Final Fantasy proves my point? That's a series where each entry is completely standalone from each other. No one rational thinks that a past FF game being great will stop them playing more, because a future game can't ever tarnish the story of the past game (unless you're a direct sequel like X-2).

For the time thing, the last endurance run was Shenmue. All the other ERs happened when they weren't at CBSi yet, so they had more time. Now think about what happened with the Shenmue ER. They dropped it out of the blue because they were recording it in secret the entire time Dan was in NY, which was awesome. But don't you remember everyone here questioning what the hell Dan was doing when he was visiting GBE? Outside of podcasts, the content we got out of GBE while Dan was visiting was:

3 QLs
Summer Games Olympiad
GBE Game Design Academy
Hitman Double Agent
A VinnyVania episode

for an entire month. No GBE playdates either. Compare that to their current output. That's the content output you're looking at if you have Jeff and Vinny do a P5 ER, and consider that a P5 ER would be probably 4 times as long as a Shenmue ER.

Now maybe they only do it every so often, or once a week. That could work. But an Endurance Run is never going to happen. And they don't show enough interest to do it once a week either.

And the FF thing wasn't about that, it's just that there are people who love one game but the other doesn't grab them because it doesn't have the same world or characters. It's not like Jeff didn't play Persona 5. He played it for an hour and a half, and it didn't do enough to interest him. You can say that's unfair, but if he isn't into the characters or the story, especially compared to P4, he's not going to play further and try to get into it

oti

Banned
That's my new favourite YouTube video. It's so calm. And DOGS.

Forget Persona 5. What we really want is a Kingdom Hearts ER.

Top Bottom