• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Jintor

i will never understand what occult hold Fallout 4 held over Austin.

Even with the benefit of hours of him talking about it it is still completely inexplicable to me

LiK

Played a bunch of Horizon last night and I disagree with Jeff. This plays way more like Witcher 3 than Far Cry. I can literally do side by side comparisons if I needed too. Altho not surprised Jeff would compare it to FC more since he barely played Witcher 3 past the tutorial section.

Bacon

Played a bunch of Horizon last night and I disagree with Jeff. This plays way more like Witcher 3 than Far Cry. I can literally do side by side comparisons if I needed too. Altho not surprised Jeff would compare it to FC more since he barely played Witcher 3 past the tutorial section.

What he showed in the quick look looked nothing like W3

i will never understand what occult hold Fallout 4 held over Austin.

Even with the benefit of hours of him talking about it it is still completely inexplicable to me

I think he just loves open large games like that. I heard him talking about the concept of open world fatigue and how maybe that concept doesn't really exist, but rather you need to talk about the quality of the open world. That's possible for him when he does dive into so many games that feature that aspect, but I pretty much avoid them because I don't enjoy how those areas feel like a lack of design.

LiK

What he showed in the quick look looked nothing like W3

I didn't watch it for fear of spoilers so I dunno what he showed. But it's def way more like Witcher 3 than FC especially in exploration and some of the sidequests. Even some of the NPCs I met could be characters in a Witcher game.

I feel like that Horizon QL was like the worst thing I could have watched when I was really excited about the game.

What was so bad about it? So far, the combat feels friggin' awesome and I'm loving the story.

Please just tell me if side characters from Yakuza Zero return later in later chapters because I don't want these social links to disappear

this director better turn up again later

The director shows up in one of the best side quests

Also hope they do the pizza one

Hindl

I'm hearing a few people compare parts of Zeldas structure to Majora's Mask, so I'll be interested to hear Jeff's thoughts on it

What was so bad about it? So far, the combat feels friggin' awesome and I'm loving the story.

I don't think it was so much the game itself but the way it was presented. Just getting head shots over and over while slowly walking to get the enemies heads in the reticle as they appear over the slope of the walkway and the enemies seemingly being endless just to get the end and press a button just seemed really boring. I'm sure there are many other ways to address that type of situation but it made me wonder if there was any bigger type of attack to address large rooms of enemies.

Just seeing that one tedious long side quest was probably the most boring and simple way to show off that game.

LiK

I don't think it was so much the game itself but the way it was presented. Just getting head shots over and over while slowly walking to get the enemies heads in the reticle as they appear over the slope of the walkway and the enemies seemingly being endless just to get the end and press a button just seemed really boring. I'm sure there are many other ways to address that type of situation but it made me wonder if there was any bigger type of attack to address large rooms of enemies.

Just seeing that one tedious long side quest was probably the most boring and simple way to show off that game.

Huh, so I guess he showed more of the combat and less of the story parts? The game does offer a lot of weapons but you're not required to use them if you don't want to. Maybe he only used the ones he liked. I'll probably watch it once I play more of it.

Huh, so I guess he showed more of the combat and less of the story parts? I'll probably watch it once I play more of it.

He basically showed a extra side quest after the game was already completed. He fought a couple flying enemies on his way to the side quest and then once he got there it was basically a really long dungeon crawl facing a lot of human enemies the exact same way over and over again. Followed by getting lost on how to get out.

I think it's a mix of doing a QL after the game has already been completed and then being hyper sensitive at showing the wrong things. It made for a pretty bad quick look of the game, I think.

LiK

Wha, post game content? That's really odd to show for a QL. Def not watching it until after I beat the game then. I would've recommended he showed it about 2 hours in instead. Some sidequests have really funny and weird NPCs. Now I understand. Thanks for the summary.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Wha, post game content? That's really odd to show for a QL. Def not watching it until after I beat the game then. I would've recommended he showed it about 2 hours in instead. Some sidequests have really funny and weird NPCs. Now I understand. Thanks for the summary.

It's the typical "I already beat the game and have no previous save, so let's run around the world and do some mop up quests" problem. I never look forward to QLs of games they already beat. (Unless it's an adventure game)

LiK

It's the typical "I already beat the game and have no previous save, so let's run around the world and do some mop up quests" problem. I never look forward to QLs of games they already beat. (Unless it's an adventure game)

Huh, game lets you do manual saves so I wonder why he didn't make extra ones mid game. I see.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Man, might in the woods is,,, depressing, Surprisingly depressing. Which is kinda cool.

Hanging out with Bea is like a bummer in the best way,

Meguro

Banned
I have to join the chorus of people who were kinda turned off by what they saw in the Horizon QL.
It just looked really....bland despite the giant robots?
Maybe it plays better than it looks.

LiK

I have to join the chorus of people who were kinda turned off by what they saw in the Horizon QL.
It just looked really....bland despite the giant robots?
Maybe it plays better than it looks.

i'm loving it so far. I guess if you're not compelled to play it, watch the beginning of the game and see if it grabs you.

Lunar FC

Squad trying to get fucked up for my friend's birthday tonight but after work I just want to stay in and play Horizon. 😬

Played horizon for about 4 hours last night (thank you best buy shipping) and it is really fun. Even early on they give you access to a lot of weapons which gives you a ton of variety in how you want to take on encounters. Fighting the robots feels pretty good. The story started pretty strong as well and so far the side quests I have done have been interesting. Definitely excited to play more tonight.

Hindl

Yeah I'm just gonna assume Jeff didn't show off a good section. To be fair, he didn't really spend a lot of time outside, it was pretty much go straight to the cauldron and slowly slog through a tight corridor headshotting human enemies. I'm sure if he spent some time out in the world fighting more robots it would've gone better

Jeff basically just showed some 3rd tier side stuff

The Witcher 3 would look pretty crappy too if all you saw was a random notice board quest.

Horizon looks totally competent. Curious how the actual story is handled since GG have hired some decent writers for it but I just cant buy it now. Need to save.

LiK

The Witcher 3 would look pretty crappy too if all you saw was a random notice board quest.

Horizon looks totally competent. Curious how the actual story is handled since GG have hired some decent writers for it but I just cant buy it now. Need to save.

From what I played so far, the story has been superb and well told.

Mr. F

Banned
Has anyone in here changed their tune on picking up a Switch after the recent Zelda impressions have come through? I'm starting to regret not having at least placed a pre order to think it over.

Horizon looks a fair bit like how I played Skyrim (sneaky archer with summons) so I'm down. I realise no one compares stuff to Skyrim favorably on GAF but I enjoyed it quite a bit that way.

Has anyone in here changed their tune on picking up a Switch after the recent Zelda impressions have come through? I'm starting to regret not having at least placed a pre order to think it over.

I really want one now, but still feel like I'm better off waiting until summer at least. I'll be happy in the summer with Zelda, Mario Kart and Splatoon as I skipped the Wii U.

daveo42

Banned

No. I have a Wii U and a ton of other games coming out in the next 1-2 months to keep me busy, so I'm perfectly fine with waiting on BotW until I have more time this summer. By then I can decide if there are enough titles on the Switch to warrant making the purchase or just getting the game on Wii U.

I recall some awesome quest lines coming off notice boards... but it has been a little while since I played. I agree with your points on Horizon--looks solid but also fairly derivative. Went from 'pick up asap' to a summer game for me.

idk I've dozed off watching Horizon footage, once during a waypoint stream and now during Jeff's QL. Maybe it's just not the game for me 😔

Meanwhile the Sniper Elite 4 QL made that game look like a great time waster. Not $60 worth though.

Guess I'll stick to Yakuza and Hitman.

So far (granted all I have done is the initial stuff and then a few side quests) it is well done. Definitely invested in the story. Feels good to have an open world game start strong, especially after FFXV and its almost complete lack of story telling.

I have had it preordered since the nintendo direct and all of these impressions are just making me more excited. Sucks to hear if the Wii U version doesn't have good performance though, usually thats something you can count on with Nintendo.

OkayRene

Do any of you remember what episode of the Bombcast Brad told a story about one of those mobile bars where people pedal?

Top Bottom