• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serra

While I generally agree with the general tone of your post, mine was a response to the guy who I quoted who said that the point of consoles is not breaking the bank and thus comparing to PCs was stupid. Which is untrue.

You still have to build it. Yeh yeh, I know people say it's easy nowadays, but that really depends on the technical capability of the user. What's easy for you isn't necessarily easy for everyone.
I dunno about other countries but here in Finland the top online PC component store will assemble your PC for 20 euros if you buy a case, motherboard etc not just a 2 random parts.

Plus, warranty, You have to tech diagnose and RMA a specific part if anything fucks up rather than just go to Sony/MS/Nintendo and say "hey, my shit's broken & I re-set it and it still does it". If you have a PC that's randomly crashing, that shit can be the worst, especially to a non tech savvy user. Even amongst the savvy, no-one wants to sit there doing memory/gfx/cpu tests to find out what's broken.
You are absolutely right about this one. Its the worst and RMAing stuff is really annoying. It can happen to consoles too, of course but its simpler just sending the whole console in since its one manufactorer.

Sure you can go dell/alienware/other pre-build and stuff like the much maligned "apple" prices are there for a reason.
Yup, the mark ups are quite high with those brands. Again, just speaking for my country, several of the most popular local online PC component stores have ready built gaming rigs with very minimal markup for sale.

We still live in a world where for every Nvidia & ATI/AMD update people recommend completely un-installing, re-booting and reinstalling the latest drivers for christ sake.
Can't speak for AMD but Nvidia experience makes this a non-issue.

You are absolutely right about this one. Its the worst and RMAing stuff is really annoying. It can happen to consoles too, of course but its simpler just sending the whole console in since its one manufactorer.

Yeh, that's my main bugbear with building my own machine. For the sake of £100-£300 over the odds, I'd rather pay extra for a console like RMA experience. The old adage of money vs time stands true. My PC gaming plan is the same as my apple ownership plan. Sell on ebay every 1-2 years and just buy all new (probably whatever new x51 is out at the time).

Can't speak for AMD but Nvidia experience makes this a non-issue.

I have an Nvidia card, but I've avoided installing any of the "experience" stuff so far. I heard warnings about the "updateususer" stuff and have avoided it ever since.

While I generally agree with the general tone of your post, mine was a response to the guy who I quoted who said that the point of consoles is not breaking the bank. Which is untrue.

Of course! and I agree wholeheartedly that PC gaming is fab (Sleeping Dogs at 60fps/1080p is one of my defining gaming moments of the last few years). I wouldn't have bought another gaming PC if I didn't think it's worth it, but I just wanted to point out as I see the argument a lot on GAF that you can buy cheap and get a superior experience with PC that it isn't exactly black and white and you should know what you're getting into.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Jungler is an old arcade game (which is what they were always talking about), but a Jungler in a MOBA is a character who spends his time killing neutral creeps outside the lanes.

Since it's an e-sports site, I imagine there will be a lot of MOBA coverage
Thanks for the explanation :).

Haunted

tumblr_mfpq0zOu7H1r9zdybo1_500.gif

Jokab

So Drew is eating 5 days old pizza. Had it at least been in a fridge somewhere? Even with that I probably wouldn't eat it.

FStop7

Banned
What the fuck? I've been saying "BONUS SODA!" to myself all day long. I haven't thought about that game since the first time it appeared on UPF. Then I turn on today's stream and there's Soda Drinker Pro.

That is really, really weird.

fourstorks

Neo Member
What the fuck? I've been saying "BONUS SODA!" to myself all day long. I haven't thought about that game since the first time it appeared on UPF. Then I turn on today's stream and there's Soda Drinker Pro.

That is really, really weird.

BONUS SODA

I do the same thing.

BONUS SODA

fleck0

Dave introduced me to Dice Towers in the pathfinder stream, can't believe I've never heard of something so awesome.

I love Jeff's take on the whole Diretide rage between the podcast and now UPF

"Should turn it on permanently and go "Here, Fuck You. We gave Diretide. Eat a Dick!"'

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Goddamn, I had way too much pizza (and it wasn't even super heavy pizza; it was prawn, feta and capsicum), and I felt so tired from it that I went to sleep.

It's a miracle that they stayed up for the full 24 hours.

bjork

Goddamn, I had way too much pizza (and it wasn't even super heavy pizza; it was prawn, feta and capsicum), and I felt so tired from it that I went to sleep.

It's a miracle that they stayed up for the full 24 hours.

What the hell is that? Are you a ninja turtle?

fourstorks

Neo Member
I like my pizzas to be more than edible plates filled with cheese and meat.

Oh, look at Mr. Fancypants over err wit his fancy schamncy pizza. Doesn't eat the common folk pizza he says. Needs to say capsicum because peppers is too common speak.

Don't make us feel too small Mr. Fancypants, I don't know if our little brains can handle it.

I'm just giving you shit, man. A feta and prawn pizza sounds fucking awesome.

popo

So Drew is eating 5 days old pizza. Had it at least been in a fridge somewhere? Even with that I probably wouldn't eat it.

Bread, sauce, cheese - maybe some form of processed meat loaded with salt and preservatives. It might taste stale but in a fridge all those things are good for weeks.

Xyber

We still live in a world where for every Nvidia & ATI/AMD update people recommend completely un-installing, re-booting and reinstalling the latest drivers for christ sake.

People who does that just do it because that's what they've always done. It is not needed and haven't been for a long time.

If something would screw up, then you can do a complete uninstall and install. But that rarely happens.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
People who does that just do it because that's what they've always done. It is not needed and haven't been for a long time.

If something would screw up, then you can do a complete uninstall and install. But that rarely happens.
I admit I thought that was needed until I tried doing it myself. Lol

kvk1

Man, I still treat a GPU driver update like it's open heart surgery.

There are still some moments of terror that haunt me from the cards/drivers of yesteryear that I don't feel safe doing it any other way.

Zaph

Man, I still treat a GPU driver update like it's open heart surgery.

There are still some moments of terror that haunt me from the cards/drivers of yesteryear that I don't feel safe doing it any other way.

Really? I can't remember the time I had a driver issue. Just run the installer (now Geforce Experience) and go.

Then again, I've always made sure my PC builds stick to popular configurations. Always went with CPU/GPU/Motherboard/RAM combinations which were very common. It doesn't really matter as much now, with everything becoming so consumer-friendly, but the odds were good that one of the several rigs developers/QA used would match mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom