• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvk1

Really? I can't remember the time I had a driver issue. Just run the installer (now Geforce Experience) and go..

It's an irrational fear.

I do the GeForce Experience installation as well.

But before that I make sure I shut every program down, turn off Aero, wait about 5 minutes after the installation so the PFM that goes in the background is settled, restart, give it another 5 minutes, and I'm good.

I've done this over a botched update.

Not the full waterworks, but slightly moist whimpering.
I wasn't kidding. There have been two or three times where I had.

Things are way easier nowadays but back then I had no clue what the fuck I was doing and all of a sudden my resolution is at it's lowest possible and now it's taking me to dos oh my god i broke my computer why god why

Zaph

I wasn't kidding. There have been two or three times where I had.

Things are way easier nowadays but back then I had no clue what the fuck I was doing and all of a sudden my resolution is at it's lowest possible and now it's taking me to dos oh my god i broke my computer why god why
Yup, and having limited/no internet really made the situation feel like a complete disaster. That feeling of not even knowing where to begin. Damn.

Manbig

Of course! and I agree wholeheartedly that PC gaming is fab (Sleeping Dogs at 60fps/1080p is one of my defining gaming moments of the last few years). I wouldn't have bought another gaming PC if I didn't think it's worth it, but I just wanted to point out as I see the argument a lot on GAF that you can buy cheap and get a superior experience with PC that it isn't exactly black and white and you should know what you're getting into.

Which is exactly what my point was. My apologies for not clarifying earlier, but when I said "breaking the bank" I meant making one near 1k purchase while losing the accessibility that comes with consoles. Sure, it's a more worthwhile and "cheaper" long term investment for people that don't mind that stuff, but your average consumer sees accessibility as a thing worth paying for. This is one of the main reasons a lot of those people love apple products and don't mind paying premium for them. When you keep that in mind, paying around $400 less for a PS4 than a PC is a steal for them. Even when considering the long term.

Zero315

Banned
Catching up on Pathfinder and goddamn Ian was salty as fuck over the invisibility potion. Then Dave took his book, lol!

sixghost

Which is exactly what my point was. My apologies for not clarifying earlier, but when I said "breaking the bank" I meant making one near 1k purchase while losing the accessibility that comes with consoles. Sure, it's a more worthwhile and "cheaper" long term investment for people that don't mind that stuff, but your average consumer sees accessibility as a thing worth paying for. This is one of the main reasons a lot of those people love apple products and don't mind paying premium for them. When you keep that in mind, paying around $400 less for a PS4 than a PC is a steal for them. Even when considering the long term.

I don't understand the accessibility argument for consoles. I'm not a very technical person, and I built a PC a year ago knowing virtually nothing about graphics drivers, how to actually build the thing, or what anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, ambient occlusion was. The only time I've ever felt overwhelmed during that entire year was when the CPU wouldn't go into the motherboard without feeling like I was going to break it. Every technical problem I've had has been solved in maybe 2 minutes with google.

At this point, the decision should really just be made based on what platform has the games you want to play. Every option has its upsides and downsides.

I actually ran into one of my toughest PC issues in a over a decade not too long ago. I had just bought and installed a 290x and shortly thereafter ran into issues where my PC would occasionally become unresponsive. Most common was coming back from idle. The mouse cursor would still work, but couldn't click on anything. If I had music playing it would keep going, if a YouTube video was playing it would still play but couldn't interact with the window. I could game for anywhere between 30 minutes and two hours before the game might crash. Replaced video card drivers, bought a new PSU (thinking my older Antec 650 may be on its way out with a power sucker like a 290x), eventually did a complete reformat. When it was still freezing on a completely clean install of Windows I became deathly afraid that my brand new 290x was bad.

Turns out all I needed was to update the firmware on my Crucial M4. SSD firmware is something I've always ignored, but Crucial's website basically stated that the most recent firmware was to correct the exact issue that I was having. So remember kids, keep your SSD firmware up-to-date!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Hmm, Patrick is gonna be on the PS4 livestream...kinda dislike his cynicism on next gen so I hope he doesn't bring down the vibe. :p

My last PC issue involved drivers. I have an Nvidia GTX 560Ti, and as it's been pointed out before on the Nvidia forums and on GAF, since around April or May 2013, the newer Nvidia drivers (~320.49 and beyond) have some serious stability problems with these older series cards. Mostly five-second system hangs and random BSODs. I downgraded to the 314.22 drivers back in August and haven't had any problems since. It sounds like the issues still pop up in the latest drivers, so I can't update until Nvidia fixes them.

At least they seem to be testing out cards and trying to work on a fix, according to the second thread I linked to above, but no major news yet.

Lunzio

Hmm, Patrick is gonna be on the PS4 livestream...kinda dislike his cynicism on next gen so I hope he doesn't bring down the vibe. :p

I think it's fair to say both of the console launches will be met with some snark - for better or for worse.

Really hoping for genuine enthusiasm and sheer bliss though. I want to see some love.

Mr. F

Banned
I think it's fair to say both of the console launches will be met with some snark - for better or for worse.

Really hoping for genuine enthusiasm and sheer bliss though. I want to see some love.

Vinny will be present, I'm not worried.

OatmealMu

My last PC issue involved drivers. I have an Nvidia GTX 560Ti, and as it's been pointed out before on the Nvidia forums and on GAF, since around April or May 2013, the newer Nvidia drivers (~320.49 and beyond) have some serious stability problems with these older series cards. Mostly five-second system hangs and random BSODs. I downgraded to the 314.22 drivers back in August and haven't had any problems since. It sounds like the issues still pop up in the latest drivers, so I can't update until Nvidia fixes them.

At least they seem to be testing out cards and trying to work on a fix, according to the second thread I linked to above, but no major news yet.

Damn, really? I set my computer to turn off the display after 10 minutes, and occasionally my 550 Ti has trouble turning it back on. I'll also randomly get display driver resets. The system generally performs a successful recovery, but still...

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
So long as we get a PS4 and Xbox One version of this GIF out of the livestreams I'm golden.

ienfvbvwl4xtie3e35.gif

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm kind of expecting a shitshow. Patches not downloading, accounts not working, Kinect freaking out. All that fine stuff. And I know the guys will make the best out of it.

Mr. F

Banned
I completely understand why this isn't the case, but as a premium subscriber it would be kind of cool to have filter control over what I see on GiantBomb. Worth Playing (sorry Patrick) and trailers are never going to be things I want to watch.

Dany

Banned
I completely understand why this isn't the case, but as a premium subscriber it would be kind of cool to have filter control over what I see on GiantBomb. Worth Playing (sorry Patrick) and trailers are never going to be things I want to watch.
I only go on the site to see what's coming up. Everything is rss fed up.

solarus

Totally agree, i like patrick a lot but i don't want his, often blatantly forceful, cynicism about next gen ruining the live stream, especially since vinny is going to be psyched and enthusiastic to see the new console OS and UI in full.

- J - D -

Vinny's enthusiasm
Jeff's indifference
Brad's disingenuity
Patrick's cynicism
Drew's _______ (I have no idea because Drew is almost impossible to read. he's a cypher)

The PS4/Xbone launch is going to be _________.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Totally agree, i like patrick a lot but i don't want his, often blatantly forceful, cynicism about next gen ruining the live stream, especially since vinny is going to be psyched and enthusiastic to see the new console OS and UI in full.
Yeah, it's gonna be bad. I cringed when he made the comment along the lines of "the world never asked for another Killzone game" in regards to Shadow Fall. Ughhhhhhhhh

- J - D -

Yeah, it's gonna be bad. I cringed when he made the comment along the lines of "the world never asked for another Killzone game" in regards to Shadow Fall. Ughhhhhhhhh

Doesn't necessarily mean he was disparaging the game, if taken literally. Then again I didn't hear him say it.

Doesn't necessarily mean he was disparaging the game, if taken literally. Then again I didn't hear him say it.

How could it not be taken as a disparaging comment? It's a semi-popular franchise that a lot of people really enjoy, saying no one wants another game in the series can hardly be taken as anything else.

- J - D -

How could it not be taken as a disparaging comment? It's a semi-popular franchise that a lot of people really enjoy, saying no one wants another game in the series can hardly be taken as anything else.

I guess I'm underestimating the popularity of the Killzone series. I thought everyone with whatever little enthusiasm left tapped out after K3.

November 22nd Dual Streams...

Stream 1: Brad. Jeff. Drew, Vinny plays Xbox One
Stream 2: Patrick plays Super Mario 3D World

Spoiler:
Stream 2 wins

Man, the video player has gone all crappy on me again. It has been fine for ages and now it's gone back to randomly stopping during vids or when I pause an HTML5 video for more than a minute or two it'll just reset itself. :(

Although their was certainly a lot of ammo during that PS4 event for riffing, I do remember Patrick's constant snark being overbearing. Not so much the content as the volume, like that one friend that tries too hard to be funny when you're watching a movie as a group. At one point Ryan of all people all but told him to shut up because he actually wanted to listen to what was being said.
But he's certainly toned down a lot since then so we'll see I guess. It's not like I want constant enthusiasm either, a little bit of cynicism is healthy if it's constructive.

diggler41

No Ryan on shrink wrap duty with his box cutter is gonna suuuuck :(

Ah fuuuck. That makes me sad. He was such a boss bringing that bad boy out. No plastic to hard. No shrink wrap to thick. He saved many of the guys fingers from getting cut due to poor plastic casings. A master of his craft he was. :(

LCfiner

Not that I really dislike Patrick but I’m not a fan of solo video stuff so I haven’t really heard his voice at all since the summer when he moved.

So having him on two full day live streams (it’s both streams, right?) is gonna be a shock to the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom