• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I'm glad Matt stands his ground with Ian at times. Before that minor kerfuffle in the stream last night, Ian had like minutes before been adamant he was correct about some other thing before realising he was wrong. So I wasn't surprised when he realised he was wrong again, only it was too late as he had already perceived that he was being slighted and acted like an angsty teenager, sarcastic attitude and all. Another reason Matt is strict with Ian is probably because Ian brings up something about the rules from his tome of fun every other turn when Matt should really be trusted to control the game unless he asks for assistance. This is Matt's show right? I remember Ian having a weird attitude from the off in the first video in the series, saying something to the effect of "this game will be boring" when he realised Matt wanted them to choose from a small selection of classes (I went back and checked around the start of the first video, it's from around 21 mins to 22 mins. His reaction when Dave confirms the available classes is just rude and unnecessary and really stood out at the time). It's just an odd way to act when you're clearly not at the helm. He just needs to chill out.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Wow, Dead Rising actually looks completely playable now. Will it be coming to PC?

derFeef

I only skimmed it, but is the last half really only BF4? Jeeze... I hope they at least talk about different stuff.
Curious what Brad thinks of DR3.

demidar

I would like (not love) to play Dead Rising 3, but unfortunately it's on the Bone. That game is the one I want to play most out of the Bone's lineup.

Capture.png

huehuehuehue

Zaph

I'm glad Matt stands his ground with Ian at times. Before that minor kerfuffle in the stream last night, Ian had like minutes before been adamant he was correct about some other thing before realising he was wrong. So I wasn't surprised when he realised he was wrong again, only it was too late as he had already perceived that he was being slighted and acted like an angsty teenager, sarcastic attitude and all. Another reason Matt is strict with Ian is probably because Ian brings up something about the rules from his tome of fun every other turn when Matt should really be trusted to control the game unless he asks for assistance. This is Matt's show right? I remember Ian having a weird attitude from the off in the first video in the series, saying something to the effect of "this game will be boring" when he realised Matt wanted them to choose from a small selection of classes (I went back and checked around the start of the first video, it's from around 21 mins to 22 mins. His reaction when Dave confirms the available classes is just rude and unnecessary and really stood out at the time). It's just an odd way to act when you're clearly not at the helm. He just needs to chill out.
Yeah, absolutely. They're both good guys, but the difference is Rorie's has experience on-camera and producing entertainment - he's explicitly said multiple times he won't follow all the strict rules because he's trying to keep it fun and fast.

Ian knows how to play, and wants to play properly - not realising it'll make it a lot harder to DM, slowing the game down (like when he wanted a class not in the beginner's guide).

But it doesn't matter, the passive aggressiveness is now part of the show and is hilarious.

MNC

Whenever I'm watching Pathfinder, Ian vs Matt always strikes me as a bit rough and awkward. So much passive agressiveness.

FStop7

Banned

Ian is like the Internet's official representative in the Giant Bomb office.

Dany

Banned
What does brad expect for launch games? Dead rising three could easily be a 360 game if it wasn't for the xbone coming out

Haunted

Ryse, DR3, Crimson Dragon were all 360 games at one point.
and it shows

Ryse's Kinect heritage moreso, but still.

Ryse actually looks like a game I'd want to watch someone else play, or on Youtube. Boring to play but kinda fun to watch with the finishers and cutscenes.

What does brad expect for launch games? Dead rising three could easily be a 360 game if it wasn't for the xbone coming out
I thought it was weird that he singled out DR3 as being "ambitious" for a launch game though. DR1 was a launch title and 2 was already very open. 3 looks like more of the same plus the minimum you'd expect beyond that with the benefit of stronger hardware.
Glad to see that the craziness remains but I'm not really feeling much from it overall. I think I'm just tired of zombies and DR2 hit the spot already.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I thought it was weird that he singled out DR3 as being "ambitious" for a launch game though. DR1 was a launch title and 2 was already very open. 3 looks like more of the same plus the minimum you'd expect beyond that with the benefit of stronger hardware.
Glad to see that the craziness remains but I'm not really feeling much from it overall. I think I'm just tired of zombies and DR2 hit the spot already.

Dead Rising came out August 2006. Not a launch game, almost a year later.

MormaPope

Banned

No it wasn't. Dead Rising 1 came out in the Summer of 2006.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Full Credit for the dual meaning, if that is indeed what you were going for.
I have no idea what the dual meaning is lol, please enlighten me. I just thought all their talk about Windjammers reminds me of the time they kept talking about Jungler in 2010.

Brashnir

I have no idea what the dual meaning is lol, please enlighten me. I just thought all their talk about Windjammers reminds me of the time they kept talking about Jungler in 2010.

Jungler is an old arcade game (which is what they were always talking about), but a Jungler in a MOBA is a character who spends his time killing neutral creeps outside the lanes.

Since it's an e-sports site, I imagine there will be a lot of MOBA coverage

popo

I assume he meant having all those assets on screen without hitting the frame rate. None of the games are especially innovative so when they say "looks like next gen" they can only really be referencing how it looks.

Ryse reminded me of Total Warrior on the OG xbox - if anyone remembers that. It was a ropey but fun third person GOW type game from the Total War ppl.

Man, seeing DR3 running well just made me sad that it has such an awful colour palate and the interesting restrictions have been taken out. The way that the car was modified didn't look dumb to me, it looked stupid.

ultron87

Those Pathfinder miniatures are so awesome.

I wonder if Rorie realizes all the prep work he'll have to do to run that Rise of the Runelords thing he bought. That book is significantly less helpful to the DM than the beginner thing. It is a really great adventure though.

derFeef

Man, seeing DR3 running well just made me sad that it has such an awful colour palate and the interesting restrictions have been taken out. The way that the car was modified didn't look dumb to me, it looked stupid.

They are not taken out, just moved to a seperate difficulty. And there is daytime, not only night time.

They are not taken out, just moved to a seperate difficulty. And there is daytime, not only night time.

The daytime footage from E3 was still more dull than at the very least 'my memories' of the previous games. It's not often the way 'Hardcore' modes are appealing to me, but we'll see how it's implemented and balanced I guess.

pizza dog

Banned
Ian is like the Internet's official representative in the Giant Bomb office.

Ian is the reason I don't play Role Playing Games. Every group has a grognard rule-guy like him. I kinda figure the whole point of games like that is the rules give you a structure to enable the other stuff. Shouldn't get in the way of having a good time / making a good story together.

FStop7

Banned
Ian is the reason I don't play Role Playing Games. Every group has a grognard rule-guy like him. I kinda figure the whole point of games like that is the rules give you a structure to enable the other stuff. Shouldn't get in the way of having a good time / making a good story together.

He is young. He will learn in time. /yoda

ultron87

If you play with people you know this kind of thing usually isn't a problem. It wasn't really even a rules lawyer thing. It was just that Ian thought the rules said one thing when they didn't and acted based on that incorrect knowledge.

My only problem with how Rorie handled the situation was that he punished Ian for a misunderstanding of the rules, which is just going to lead to bad feelings all around. Should just let him take his move back or not attack him that turn.

Zornack

Eh, at the same time it's been 5 weeks and Rorie doesn't seem to have done much studying. It's not uncommon for one of the duders to ask a question and Rorie to just shrug and redirect the question to Ian.

FStop7

Banned
I've mentioned it already but since it's relevant to this discussion, I watched a Wizards of the Coast D&D livestream they did for Extra Life. The GM was a designer at WotC. Like Rorie, he often made changes or exceptions. He knew the letter of the rules but he also frequently modified them in order to keep the game fun for the players and prevent it from becoming bogged down in technicalities. Based on what I observed while listening to that super-experienced DM run his game I'd say that Rorie did really well.

demidar

I've mentioned it already but since it's relevant to this discussion, I watched a Wizards of the Coast D&D livestream they did for Extra Life. The GM was a designer at WotC. Like Rorie, he often made changes or exceptions. He knew the letter of the rules but he also frequently modified them in order to keep the game fun for the players and prevent it from becoming bogged down in technicalities. Based on what I observed while listening to that super-experienced DM run his game I'd say that Rorie did really well.

Yep, it's important to not get bogged down in the specifics to keep things moving along. Rule 0 of D&D: DM can overrule anything. It's a rule that should be employed more often than it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom