• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

demidar

So I finally got around to watching that Xbone stream and I have just one gripe.

Why didn't they call the battery hammer in Dead Rising 3 Mjolnir?

Xater

Wait huh?
11am on November 14'th or 11am on November 15'th? (like.... they are skipping all the line bullshit and stuff - just starting back in the office?)

Of course on the 15 th. They get all their PS4 stuff today from Sony. Maybe they need to pick up a couple third party games but that's it.

wizzbang

Banned
Of course on the 15 th. They get all their PS4 stuff today from Sony. Maybe they need to pick up a couple third party games but that's it.

Oh what the fuck, how dumb am I.
I thought that PS4 event was on the 14'th (which always felt late and odd!) - makes sense then it's on the 11'th. So (I assume?) todays is the likely UI reveal, significantly more info, review consoles for people?

Jeff flies home, 11am Friday 15'th they then do a launch show and ... to an extent pretend they haven't used one? About right?
(Means that instead of rushing home from work, I go home, go to bed early, get up at 7:30am on Saturday my time)

P.S thanks for reply, be fucked if I can get anyone @GB to respond to me confirming the time.

popo

I thought that PS4 event was on the 14'th (which always felt late and odd!) - makes sense then it's on the 11'th. So (I assume?) todays is the likely UI reveal, significantly more info, review consoles for people?

Jeff flies home, 11am Friday 15'th they then do a launch show and ... to an extent pretend they haven't used one? About right?
(Means that instead of rushing home from work, I go home, go to bed early, get up at 7:30am on Saturday my time)

P.S thanks for reply, be fucked if I can get anyone @GB to respond to me confirming the time.

I think there is a televised event for the public on the 14th, might be how you got confused. Still waiting to see if they can get direct video out of this thing.

Also. Nobody at GB would reply to you confirming an event time they have likely not agreed upon yet? In the middle of the night on the weekend no less. Poor customer support.

This, from Jeff's tumblr, is the best you will get for now.

Anonymous asked: Any idea at all when your PS4 livestream is going to start? Is it going to be early like the Extra Life one?
Jeff: We haven’t set a start time yet, but it’ll probably be around 11ish, Pacific time.

Xater

On the 14th is the GTTV launch event, but the console does not get released until midnight of the 15th.

Xater

So the GTTV one has some new bombshell news or some shit - but what is todays event then? Any news coming out of that?

Yeah GTTV apparently will have some new PS4 games.

Today is the Sony event in New York where everyone can play the games and get their PS4s. Not sure until when the embargo is for that stuff.

wizzbang

Banned
Yeah GTTV apparently will have some new PS4 games.

Today is the Sony event in New York where everyone can play the games and get their PS4s. Not sure until when the embargo is for that stuff.

I wonder if they get them for free?
Well it'll be good for GiantBomb to have some - but I'm curious if we can finally fucking get those UI videos.
(Talking about that, scope this out!)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=89386642#post89386642
About time we got something - it's actually quite good.

derFeef

If they get PS4s for free there should be a similar (faux) outrage like with the 360 Slim Opera moment, lol

Exciting times.

Xater

If they get PS4s for free there should be a similar (faux) outrage like with the 360 Slim Opera moment, lol

Exciting times.

Getting a free unit for your outlet is a totally normal thing (after all you need one to do reviews) and not equivalent to that. If you are part of the press your outlet already had 360s and those were basically private gifts.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
No, they are given the units because it's what they need to do their jobs and what Sony needs them to have if they want giantbomb to cover their games.

Can we not tack on some dumb outrage onto everything now?

It will be a different story if they were given extra units for their private use, but if you've followed them you would know that they have always purchased their own private units.

derFeef

No, they are given the units because it's what they need to do their jobs and what Sony needs them to have if they want giantbomb to cover their games.

It will be a different story if they were given extra units for their private use, but if you've followed them you would know that they have always purchased their own private units.

Will those be units they can keep? I mean the guys totally buy their own systems as always, but I see no problem that they can keep that for the office.

Xater

Will those be units they can keep? I mean the guys totally buy their own systems as always, but I see no problem that they can keep that for the office.

That's the whole point. They get their office unit. That's why there was all that faux outrage from Sessler. That he had to go to New York to get their unit.

derFeef

So I guess the guys will have the system already set up by friday and probably have some saves on? Sweet. The whole figuring out, patching, installing is always kinda of broing. But often very funny of course.

Xater

So I guess the guys will have the system already set up by friday and probably have some saves on? Sweet. The whole figuring out, patching, installing is always kinda of broing. But often very funny of course.

Their intent still is to have a vanilla unit and set it up live.

Also don't they usually get debug units?

Maybe not debug units but a console maker sending a retail until a few days before release is nothing out of the ordinary.

When Nintendo sent Wii's to gamespot/1up/IGN etc and handed them out from a Ice Cream Truck.

Now if GB gets 4 free ps4's and they get to keep them at home that might be questionable.

I wonder if they have a way to get around HDCP or will they just point a go pro at a screen.

Really they just have to get through today. By the time the second batch of ps4 games come out early next year, Infamous / DriveClub / Destiny etc... that should hopefully be patched out.

popo

I wonder if they have a way to get around HDCP or will they just point a go pro at a screen.

There are very easy ways to strip HDCP. The problem is they work for a huge company and I am not sure there is a legal way to bypass it. Youtubers will be okay but CBS officially supports HDCP for all the content their studios put out.

Unless Sony can hook them up with something then I think it will be off screen footage. You would think Sony would want decent footage out there that doesn't look like crap - then again, didn't stop them with Vita.

Now if GB gets 4 free ps4's and they get to keep them at home that might be questionable.

I imagine it is one per person atending, hence sending 2 ppl. Everyone at GB has pre-oredered one anyway - except Brad, so it isn't like they are scamming free units.

kvk1

Watching that video in the last page got me thinking: did anyone figure out what the hell those people were doing on that custom ARMA map?

Patryn

I kind of hope they don't have it all setup. I want to experience everything about launch day, warts and all.

Jeff has said that he wants the stream to have a unit already set up so they can play games, but in the background also have a fresh out of the box unit that we can watch them set up. He said something like while it's important to show the initial process of setting up the system, it'd be pretty boring if that's the only thing to watch for a few hours.

So expect a lot of updates inbetween games while they're like "STILL DOWNLOADING THE PATCH, JEFF!"

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

I'd say it's pretty shitty forcing people to attend some dumb event at the other side of the country just get their review units.

Zaph

I'd say it's pretty shitty forcing people to attend some dumb event at the other side of the country just get their review units.

Sony seriously did that? Could they not FedEx them? It's not like the PS4 is some big secret, there are units already out in the wild.

Jamie OD

I kind of hope they don't have it all setup. I want to experience everything about launch day, warts and all.

Yeah. As catastrophic as the Wii U day was, it was a pretty accurate situation a lot of Wii U owners went through. Not saying I want a botched launch, I just want to see what to expect when I set up the new console.

There are very easy ways to strip HDCP. The problem is they work for a huge company and I am not sure there is a legal way to bypass it. Youtubers will be okay but CBS officially supports HDCP for all the content their studios put out.

Unless Sony can hook them up with something then I think it will be off screen footage. You would think Sony would want decent footage out there that doesn't look like crap - then again, didn't stop them with Vita.

Thats what I was thinking as well. Its not the recording. Its telling CBSi legal its ok.

Maybe Sony will give legal "all clear" for professional sites to use HDCP strippers for gameplay purposes while they work on the update? Maybe they have another way to get around it. Maybe they get a debug.

Kimaka

the giant bomb stream is the part im most excited about this whole launch

i dont know what that says about me

You and me both. After the Xbone fiasco, I got bored of this launch. There were three or four games that I was interested in but not enough to get excited over. The giant bomb stream is the one thing launch related event that I'm looking forward to.

As someone who used to be obsessed with wrestling as a kid, the Powerbombcast is so fun to listen to. Especially whenever Jeff brings up some super ridiculous arc that at the time I took deadly serious.

I think it would be nice if for the first 15 minutes or so they'd just run through what happened in the world of wrestling for the past month though, because it's kinda hard to follow sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom