• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm

Alex brings up the recycled CoD cutscene and Patrick completely dismisses it "I wasn't going to play that anyway".

Especially after he shat on people for calling developers lazy. Sounds a lot like his "I don't care about resolution because my tv is 720p"

Dragon

Banned
Hmmm

Alex brings up the recycled CoD cutscene and Patrick completely dismisses it "I wasn't going to play that anyway".

Especially after he shat on people for calling developers lazy. Sounds a lot like his "I don't care about resolution because my tv is 720p"

He answered it better on tumblr, but yeah Patrick gonna Patrick.

Xater

Hmmm

What I thought is more curious is that I am pretty sure the episode before that he said he is going to play the SP. Well guess he just had a change of heart after the reviews kicked in.

So with Jeff and Brad in NYC, we get another VinnyCast right? Wonder if they'll skype in Patrick again or maybe pull in Alexis again

It should be just Vinny and Drew talking about racing and flight sims for 3 hours.

I would not mind if they brought Danny on though. He is not over in SF.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hmmm

Or his "consoles are good enough because I can't be bothered to buy a 500 dollar PC".

Jeff has said that he wants the stream to have a unit already set up so they can play games, but in the background also have a fresh out of the box unit that we can watch them set up. He said something like while it's important to show the initial process of setting up the system, it'd be pretty boring if that's the only thing to watch for a few hours.

So expect a lot of updates inbetween games while they're like "STILL DOWNLOADING THE PATCH, JEFF!"

Guys.

Guuuuuuuuuys.

Windjammers. :D

Serra

It should be just Vinny and Drew talking about racing and flight sims for 3 hours.

I would not mind if they brought Danny on though. He is not over in SF.

Hell yeah, Vinny and Drew. But who the fuck is Danny? Why not Ian and Rorie.

Curufinwe

Hmmm

Patrick gonna Patrick.

I doubt Ian will ever be on the podcast.

image.php

LuchaShaq

Banned
Hmmm

I like Patrick but he is a horrifically bad hypocrite at times.

Pre getting a high end PC for free from a fan? 20 fps console games are fine!

After getting a high end PC for free from a fan? Next gen consoles suck everyone has a high end gaming PC hooked to their tv!

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
I like Patrick but he is a horrifically bad hypocrite at times.

Pre getting a high end PC for free from a fan? 20 fps console games are fine!

After getting a high end PC for free from a fan? Next gen consoles suck everyone has a high end gaming PC hooked to their tv!

I've taken a break from this thread for a long time (nothing personal, I just think it's healthy to focus on your work and not what people are saying about your work), but I've been doing a lot of thinking about this specific point, since it's come up before.

As someone that takes the idea of being a consumer advocate for those without a voice very seriously, it distresses me. One of the problems with opening your mouth all the time--Twitter, Bombin' the AM, Tumblr, etc.--is that you say many things, and open yourself to both accidental and forced hypocrisy. I say that not as a cop out, but only to stress that when you have a platform to say things all the time, you don't spend as much time thinking about the implications of your words. I should do more of that.

But I try to listen, and I don't take accusations of hypocrisy lightly. The only criticism that I take more seriously is cynicism.

I do think I've undersold the importance of resolution, specifically in regards to responding to the people who it is important to, because it's not that important to me. That is related to the specific context of who I am, how I play games, what my setup is. But as a consumer advocate, I should be doing a better job of stepping outside of that, and ensuring that I'm asking questions and considering things that are precisely the opposite of that.

It's very easy to fall into that mindset as a member of the media, and it's not because you get free games. It's because falling out of touch doesn't take much effort.

I appreciate your feedback, even when it's unnecessarily harsh. It keeps me humble.

Thanks.

Curufinwe

I do think I've undersold the importance of resolution, specifically in regards to responding to the people who it is important to, because it's not that important to me.

Just for clarity, the resolution differences aren't important just because games look better rendered in more pixels. They're important because they are proof of the gap in hardware power between the two new consoles, even though Microsoft employees have desperately been trying to dismiss the idea that there could be a meaningful power gap between them.

Great post, though. It's appreciated.

I've taken a break from this thread for a long time (nothing personal, I just think it's healthy to focus on your work and not what people are saying about your work), but I've been doing a lot of thinking about this specific point, since it's come up before.

As someone that takes the idea of being a consumer advocate for those without a voice very seriously, it distresses me. One of the problems with opening your mouth all the time--Twitter, Bombin' the AM, Tumblr, etc.--is that you say many things, and open yourself to both accidental and forced hypocrisy. I say that not as a cop out, but only to stress that when you have a platform to say things all the time, you don't spend as much time thinking about the implications of your words. I should do more of that.

But I try to listen, and I don't take accusations of hypocrisy lightly. The only criticism that I take more seriously is cynicism.

I do think I've undersold the importance of resolution, specifically in regards to responding to the people who it is important to, because it's not that important to me. That is related to the specific context of who I am, how I play games, what my setup is. But as a consumer advocate, I should be doing a better job of stepping outside of that, and ensuring that I'm asking questions and considering things that are precisely the opposite of that.

It's very easy to fall into that mindset as a member of the media, and it's not because you get free games. It's because falling out of touch doesn't take much effort.

I appreciate your feedback, even when it's unnecessarily harsh. It keeps me humble.

Thanks.
You might also want to also cut down on the superior attitude towards people who do care about graphics quality, resolutions, frame rates, etc.. regarding next gen consoles, you don't care about it but some people do, you don't have to talk about it but groaning, dismissing the topic and looking down on your fans and readers who consume your content isn't the best way to go about it.

You might protest to the contrary but its on record in your videos.

If I'm spending over £400 on a console I want to know everything about it, warts and all, including the performance and image quality delta between the two.

I'm probably going to get savaged by the apologists in this thread but whatever.

Chuck

Still without luck
Resogun QL looks really really bad. They NEED to get the quality and resolution up on these Quick Looks for next gen stuff asap.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Thanks.

I have no idea if you still listen to the The Player One Podcast (where we learned about your EGM adventures), but Greg brought up an interesting point - if we were talking about washing machines, and each machine essentially does the same in terms of making your clothes clean by agitating them in a pool of water - then it IS the minituae that matters to people. How much energy and water does each machine use? Does it have a tray for bleach, or do you have to add in the bleach yourself later? Is it loud or quiet? Stuff that is for "nerds", but also can greatly affect your purchasing decision.

When journalists get their consoles for free or are able to write them off their taxes because they are work related expenses, then it doesn't matter because they are getting both of them. But these details do matter to some people, which is why it sounds like FUD when things like "you can't see the difference" and "it's all about the games" comes up.

Imagine if a car magazine compared a Ferrari to a Porsche and all they said was, "Both have four wheels and can drive on pavement, so why does it matter what engines they have?".

I'm glad you are at least taking the time to consider these issues, which is more than can be said for most journalists who seem to feel a need to be advocates for game companies rather than game consumers.

Resogun QL looks really really bad. They NEED to get the quality and resolution up on these Quick Looks for next gen stuff asap.

I think they're fine, better than other sites (sans Gamersyde) at least. Resogun is really intense with particles which probably doesn't help.

It's not the video quality, it is the content. Game footage is hard to compress let alone ones that have thousands of particle affects flying about the screen. He could double the bitrate and it still not look amazing.

If you went 1080P you'd need at least 8Mbps which means file sizes double if not triple. 2 hour 4GB videos are already ridiculously large.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

If they did a 2pass encode it would look a whole lot better. Still, 720/60 @ 4MBps with lots of particle effects is going to look ugly.

Chuck

Still without luck
I think they're fine, better than other sites (sans Gamersyde) at least. Resogun is really intense with particles which probably doesn't help.

It's not the video quality, it is the content. Game footage is hard to compress let alone ones that have thousands of particle affects flying about the screen. He could double the bitrate and it still not look amazing.

If you went 1080P you'd need at least 8Mbps which means file sizes double if not triple. 2 hour 4GB videos are already ridiculously large.

If they did a 2pass encode it would look a whole lot better. Still, 720/60 @ 4MBps with lots of particle effects is going to look ugly.
all fair points. I do think we should expect many particle effects in the coming years though if Cerny-sama is to be believed. I also think now is the time for 4GB gameplay videos.

I have no idea what a second pass on encoding means though...

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I have no idea what a second pass on encoding means though...

i'll steal afterdawn's definition

Multi-pass encoding, also known as 2-pass or 3-pass encoding, is a technique for encoding video into another format using multiple passes to keep the best quality.

The video encoder analyzes the video many times from the beginning to the end before the actual encoding process. While scanning the file, the encoder writes information about the original video to its own log file and uses that log to determine the best possible way to fit the video within the bitrate limits user has set for the encoding process -- this is why multi-pass encoding is only used in VBR encoding (the CBR encoding doesn't offer any flexibility for the encoder to determine the bitrate for each frame).

The best way to understand why this is used is to think of a movie -- when there are shots that are totally, absolutely black, like scene changes, normal 1-pass CBR encoding uses the exact same amount of data to that part as it uses for complex action scene. But by using VBR and multi-pass, encoder "knows" that this piece is OK with lower bitrate and that bitrate can be then used for more complex scenes, thus creating better quality for those scenes that require more bitrate.

i believe they throw their vids into their compressor and don't play with the settings. It's much quicker (half the time) but quality will be much worse.

The GB dudes are some of the best salesmen when they're enthusiastic about a game, Resogun wasn't that interesting to me before this QL, now I'm really excited about it.

LuchaShaq

Banned

Thanks.

Wasn't trying to be a dick honestly. I enjoy the vast majority of the stuff you do, and occasionally irking me or other viewers with hypocrisy over video game platforms isn't a big deal.

It's pretty clear as a whole that the games press doesn't give a fuck about 720p vs 1080p because

A. A large portion of the games press plays most of their stuff on PC now due to how long the last generation went.

B. The people who thought "Man the xb1 isn't even pumping 1080p? What a bummer that the hardware is that weak." was drowned out by people going insane as if the xbox1 looking worse was some fatal blow against certain forum posters life long enemy.

Not a grand pro xbox conspiracy. (That said the media largely not giving a fuck about the anti used stances of the xb1 at the time felt super duper gross.)

The only media people I hold truly negative opinions are in the political arena, not videogames, because misinformed voters can hurt the country/world while misinformed video game players might buy the wrong thing.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Thanks.

I bought a high end gaming pc myself last year and it drastically altered my perception of consoles. It's just that I'm not paid to constantly give my opinions on these things so nobody notices or cares that my tastes have changed, It's okay to change your mind, it's just off putting when you're dismissive about things that don't directly affect you.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Also, hypocrisy is A-ok. More people should embrace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom