• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

That Ryse QL feels like it's 30 minutes too long. I think I have seen everything the game has to offer in the first 15 minutes.

Listening to the bombcast.

How many Xbox Ones did MS send GB?

Brad and Jeff both have Home units. I think they have 2 in the office.

Thats almost as many as my local game shop has day 1. lol.

Oxx

Ha, Brad hyping up the formation section of Ryse throughout the QL. And it was about 20 seconds of variety.

Einbroch

Banned
Listening to the bombcast.

How many Xbox Ones did MS send GB?

Brad and Jeff both have Home units. I think they have 2 in the office.

Thats almost as many as my local game shop has day 1. lol.
Patrick mentioned somewhere, I think, that he partially came back to the office to "pick up his Xbox", so he might be getting one.

Makes sense, as he can stream and quick look some indie games coming out for it.

Megasoum

Banned
Patrick mentioned somewhere, I think, that he partially came back to the office to "pick up his Xbox", so he might be getting one.

Makes sense, as he can stream and quick look some indie games coming out for it.

He said on multiple occasions that he would recieve his personal console in Chicago while he's in SF.

Megasoum

Banned
So I'm watching the Ryse quicklook... Are we really getting a whole generation of every game using the Windows 8 front end?

It started with Madden last year and now Ryse, Forza and AC4 (and probably more too) are using the same boring square menus.

FStop7

Banned
Ryse looks like pretty garbage.

If it weren't a platform exclusive launch game it would get 6's across the board. Actually I just saw the review thread and it is getting 6's across the board, so make that 5's.

ArjanN

That Ryse QL feels like it's 30 minutes too long. I think I have seen everything the game has to offer in the first 15 minutes.

I want Shadow of Rome 2 with this technology. it basically seems like a tech demo with a bunch of arena fights strung together but there's not nearly enough 'meat' there as an actual game. Not enough moves, not enough enemy variety etc.

Xater

I want Shadow of Rome 2 with this technology. it basically seems like a tech demo with a bunch of arena fights strung together but there's not nearly enough 'meat' there as an actual game. Not enough moves, not enough enemy variety etc.

Yeah all the gladiator stuff in Shadow of Rome are better then whatever Ryse offers. I actually really wanted a sequel to that game. They had a good foundation, they basically just needed to get rid of the bad stealth sections.

So I'm watching the Ryse quicklook... Are we really getting a whole generation of every game using the Windows 8 front end?

It started with Madden last year and now Ryse, Forza and AC4 (and probably more too) are using the same boring square menus.

It's particularly weird because I thought the whole point of giant square icons was to make them seem more tactile and easy to touch...on a touch screen. It always seems odd to me to have uneven squares and yet you can only move around the menu in four directions.

Jamie OD

I wouldn't say it will last the whole generation but it looks like it will be prominent in some titles for the next few years.

Yeah all the gladiator stuff in Shadow of Rome are better then whatever Ryse offers. I actually really wanted a sequel to that game. They had a good foundation, they basically just needed to get rid of the bad stealth sections.

Such a great game. Shadow of Rome 2 became Dead Rising. If you look at Dead Rising 3 you can see some Shadow of Rome type moves in there.

Megasoum

Banned
It's particularly weird because I thought the whole point of giant square icons was to make them seem more tactile and easy to touch...on a touch screen. It always seems odd to me to have uneven squares and yet you can only move around the menu in four directions.

It's to make it easier to navigate with Kinect.

Zaph

No, I'm sure first/second party games will fall in line with whichever Microsoft initiative comes next after they're bored with (or given up on) the 'New UI'/Metro/pseudo-touch stuff. Especially so now that Xbox has no evangelist like J Allard who was willing to upset other departments by not falling in line.

Fun fact, a long time ago I interned at the design company that created the original 360 'blades' UI (yes, they know it wasn't great, but it fit the design spec at the time which was for a fraction of the content that eventually ended up there), they got the contract because Allard and his team were determined to keep Microsoft out of the design process as much as possible. How times have changed.

I think the groundwork set in place by Ryse is fantastic. But the combat and gameplay seems to need a lot more variety. The things they avoided; magic, loot, monsters, should be added if there is ever a sequel.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Do they typically wait until December to work on their GOTY vids, or with Patrick there for a week do they start on them this early? They seem to get increasingly involved each year.

Nestunt

I think the groundwork set in place by Ryse is fantastic. But the combat and gameplay seems to need a lot more variety. The things they avoided; magic, loot, monsters, should be added if there is ever a sequel.

I kinda think they should stick to the realistic tone. The main problem is the lack of depth not the lack of fantasy. If they have the team to do it, they can make something very interesting with this base simply for the fact that the setting and ambiance are rare

Nestunt

There are still games coming out of for 360/PS3. Well, Dark Souls 2 anyway.

Not trying to dismiss that

but 1) I dont think that one would take Dark Souls 1 place (and i dont think they would put both) 2) I have my suspicion that it will come out to PS4/Xbone 3) With GTA V and The Last of Us this generation "feels" like it ended, alongside the new consoles

i know these may not be the most scientific arguments

but I think 8 years is more than enough (because in all seriousness, there will be a lot of games coming to ps360 in the coming years, but that kind of lists are always valuable for conversation -healthy- sake)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom