• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCfiner

I've noticed a fairly obvious pattern whenever Brad is driving a QL for an open (or open-ish) world game. He will talk about how there is so much shit to do in the game and then do nothing but walk aimlessly for 30 minutes. :)

Please, Brad, just start a mission/dungeon asap for these games. Pacing would be better, imo. world wandering and level up systems can be the back half of the QL.

That was a really weird complaint actually, because that's how it is for EVERY beat 'em up. Ever. Or videogames in general.

I can't name one game where there aren't repeated models. At least not for games where there are tons of enemies.

While I agree that Ryse looks really boring to play, I don't think repeated character models is something you should really get mad about, as most games (even critically acclaimed/loved on GAF ones) do this.

Except there seem to only be basically 3-4 different models repeated throughout an entire level where encounters are limited to about 6-8 at a time. It's noticeable and certainly a valid complaint for a game that only has it's looks going for it at the end of the day. More to the point on what Brad said, I really don't care if it's harder for the developers to render a different model; if it's jarring it's jarring.

denshuu

Saw the Toyota AE86 on the Forza quicklook and spent the next two hours listening to Eurobeat. Initial D is a hell of a drug.

demidar

BTW, I don't know how many of you listen to the Tested podcast, but Gary Whitta and Jeff Green are on it this week. May contain non-video game talk.

BTW, I don't know how many of you listen to the Tested podcast, but Gary Whitta and Jeff Green are on it this week. May contain non-video game talk.
I stopped listening to it around the time the site became Jamie and Adam's Tested and the topics went from tech to an all round site..

LCfiner

The Ryse character models repeating is pretty bad to my eyes for three reasons.

1) the higher fidelity makes it an even greater disconnect to see the same models repeat
2) the same models are used in small fighting groups and it becomes more obvious as there's 2 fat dudes, two small dudes and two double handed weapon dudes.
3) the game's focus on executions means the camera zooms in a lot and you see more detail of the characters making the repetition easier to notice.

I get it. launch game. but a game focusing on small fights with lots of close ups should have more variety of enemy models. it's not the same as an action game with lots of dudes on screen at once. No one's complaining about DR3 having repeating zombie models.

stawnkald

Hey guys, I usually lurk this thread but I have a question: did anyone else's GB subscription suddenly... stop? I renewed my yearly back in August via Paypal and last night it suddenly just reverted me back into a basic member, with ads and lack of access to the premium vids. I already contacted support of course, but I was curious if it was a glitch exclusive to me, or more widespread.

Curufinwe

I stopped listening after Will said it doesn't matter what resolution a game runs at if the scaler is good.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I get it. launch game. but a game focusing on small fights with lots of close ups should have more variety of enemy models. it's not the same as an action game with lots of dudes on screen at once. No one's complaining about DR3 having repeating zombie models.

And yet ironically dr3 has a ton of zombie variety. They actually have a system to try and make every zombie unique

Just noticed on the Forza QL that they have two ingame currencies. That is the classic hallmark of a F2P game

LCfiner

And yet ironically dr3 has a ton of zombie variety. They actually have a system to try and make every zombie unique

Just noticed on the Forza QL that they have two ingame currencies. That is the classic hallmark of a F2P game

Re DR3. yeah, they've done a good job with zombie variety. Ryse feels like Final Fight or Streets of Rage, by comparison.

Re: Forza. you hit the nail on the head. Tokens and XP. Jewels and Coins. It feels fucking grubby when you're managing different types of currency to advance.

FStop7

Banned
https://twitter.com/BobbyMiller3/status/403751657370292224

BZpp_jPIEAAH90H.jpg:large

BLOCKED.

Defunkled

A Link Between Worlds and 3D World look so fucking good. When was the last time a single company released such high quality games on the same day?

Jeff leaving the Zelda QL was hilarious

They probably were too lazy to work out games from other regions.

plus they got an "excuse" since its only available in Japan right now :/

I thought the Vita capture kit worked pretty well once you downloaded a new version of the PC software. Digital Foundry wrote an article about it.

I was always curious about their issues with it especially when others seem to be fine. Maybe they are really picky about the video quality.

Sony providing no officially method even though there are signs (debug/devkit has hdmi on it) is kinda sad. I guess they are really cautious given the PSP stuff last time.

popo

So I didn't really get why Jeff left in the beginning of the Zelda QL?

Sounds like he was only in the room to do a comedy walk out. They make a cut before you hear the door slamming. If they had planned to do a 4 man QL from the start then I woul imagine they would have to be on the main set and there would be no door to slam. Was très amusant though.

Into

3D World did not look fun at all with 4 people, its too messy. Comparing this QL to the QL's they did for NSMB games, and its pretty evident that the 2D esque space makes it easier to relate to 4 people

Mind you the game will kick all sorts of ass and looks amazing, but mostly as a single player or maybe 2 player game.

popo

Quick Q. I have a copy of the cart along with my old snes gathering dust in the loft - so legality/morallity is not really an issue.

Given that. Is there a good way to play Link to the Past on the PC? Do the emulators provide an authentic experience and can you map controls to keyboad or something?

Watching that QL gave me the itch, it must be over 20 years since I payed that.

denshuu

Does anyone know where that GB thread with all the music they use before their livestreams is? I've got that p-a-r-t-y song stuck in my head.

Edit: Found it.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Sounds like he was only in the room to do a comedy walk out. They make a cut before you hear the door slamming. If they had planned to do a 4 man QL from the start then I woul imagine they would have to be on the main set and there would be no door to slam. Was très amusant though.

Almost as good as the Jurassic: The Hunted walk out from Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom