• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every single time Vinny takes on a boss, I say to myself, "No way does this work for him." Guess I shouldn't doubt the V-bomb.

Edit: Oh Vinny fucking slaying her is too much.

Havok

Jesus, Vinny.

Edit: Good lord, he's the goddamn Terminator. No expression, no dodging, just Iron Flesh and swigging.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Man, the way Vinny is handling every boss fight with iron flesh is a total bummer.

Seeing him do a real one on one fight was incredible.

Cheesing everything is super weak. I get that they put it in there so it's valid but it's a lame way to play if you really want to enjoy the game. It's basically an opt out.

eot

Banned
Man, the way Vinny is handling every boss fight with iron flesh is a total bummer.

Cheesing everything is super weak. I get that they put it in there so it's valid but it's a lame way to play if you really want to enjoy the game. It's basically an opt out.

Yeah, the Artorias fight was the best episode

Vinny flaunting how poorly designed some of Dark Souls is to some of its biggest fans (including the two sitting next to him) is really my favourite site feature probably ever

ArjanN

Giant bomb is pretty big on the path of least resistance, which honestly is a good way to ruin games for yourself.

Brad really needs to just plan in Breaking Brad as a weekly feature. Currently It kinda seems like Patrick is providing about twice as much content as the other guys.

eot

Banned
Vinny flaunting how poorly designed some of Dark Souls is to some of its biggest fans (including the two sitting next to him) is really my favourite site feature probably ever

That you can over-level and stack defensive stats is pretty low on the list of actual problems with Dark Souls. It's just not as fun to watch.

What the fuck is the point of challenging combat if you can just subvert it entirely using readily available mechanics? Vinny and friends ask that and more live every Wednesday

Booshka

Well to be fair you only get away with it on your first playthrough. On NG+ and beyond that shit doesn't work. I don't really mind the face tank strategy too much, it's fine that it is viable. But seeing as how epic the Artorias fight was and how amazing it was to fight him with dodging and hit and run tactics, it'd be nice to utilize that strategy across the board. Like Vinny said early in the stream though, playing the game for 2 hour spurts every week or 2 weeks is not a great way to play. It's tough to get a rhythm for the combat and enemies if you aren't playing regularly. So, you just tank a boss, swing and swig on Estus because you feel obligated to kill a boss for every episode of the show.

Nothing about what Vinny is doing couldn't be done at a more reasonable slvl

and RPGs you can easily outlevel without even really realising it, as Vinny has, are poorly designed. All Vinny's been doing is trying to get weapon upgrades. And RPGs aren't usually lauded entirely on the merits of their challenge.

ArjanN

What the fuck is the point of challenging combat if you can just subvert it entirely using readily available mechanics? Vinny and friends ask that and more live every Wednesday

Because challenging combat is fun, and grinding and cheese tactics are not, but can still get bad players through a game. Intentionally making the game less fun for yourself is dumb. I understand it's born from reviewers playing lots of games and having deadlines, but it's still a bad habit.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

and RPGs you can easily outlevel without even really realising it, as Vinny has, are poorly designed. All Vinny's been doing is trying to get weapon upgrades. And RPGs aren't usually lauded entirely on the merits of their challenge.

No, if vinny didn't max out his strength to an insane level for where he is at currently, he would not have been doing enough damage to mitigate the constant damage he was receiving. It's pretty clear that he used the forest exploit. Nothing about his current strength level is indicative of normal progression.

Booshka

Vinny isn't over-leveled or over-geared at all. +15 'A' Grade Scaling STR weapon with 40 STR will deal a ton of damage. From Software spaces out the Embers for weapon modifications to dictate how well your gear is upgraded for certain portions of the game. Good players can bypass some of that by going into tough areas early and going for embers that usually are much later game.

SL 80 ish is also perfectly fine for a Soul level at this stage of the game. Vinny has killed nearly every boss in the game and the DLC, and he hasn't spent that many souls on spells or upgrade stones. Dark Souls really isn't as hard as people say it is, it just takes a lot of time and effort. Vinny has put 80 hours into it, he should be doing a ton of damage and able to take damage.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
He's been at roughly the same strength level just after getting the lord vessel. I really don't think normal play would get you that strong that fast.

+15 weapon definitely helps, though he's been wielding +5 BK halberd since the beginning too.

Because challenging combat is fun, and grinding and cheese tactics are not, but can still get bad players through a game. Intentionally making the game less fun for yourself is dumb. I understand it's born from reviewers playing lots of games and having deadlines, but it's still a bad habit.

If Dark Souls is asking entirely for self-imposed challenge it really diminishes the accomplishment of beating it. Note that the game's subtitle is "Prepare to Die".

I haven't done the DLC but Marus looks to demand a shitload of mobility so Vinny's choices were to either strip down to 25% encumbrance and trial and error through the fight for a bit before he knew enough about it to skill through, live on the internet, or to just use what the game gave him. He did, in the most hilarious way.

LordCanti

No, if vinny didn't max out his strength to an insane level for where he is at currently, he would not have been doing enough damage to mitigate the constant damage he was receiving. It's pretty clear that he used the forest exploit. Nothing about his current strength level is indicative of normal progression.

I feel like this stream would be hours and hours of failure if he wasn't so overleveled and I don't think that would have been more fun to watch. I know people have differing opinions on this, but by the time he was on his tenth or so attempt at Artorias, I was pretty checked out. Imagining the entire game being played that way...uggg....

Jintor

I think Black Dragon's stream is probably going to be more enjoyable to watch.

I hope he can get Vinny to guest or something

If Dark Souls is asking entirely for self-imposed challenge it really diminishes the accomplishment of beating it. Note that the game's subtitle is "Prepare to Die".

I think you are missing the beauty of that game, that is difficult but flexible enough. Vinny is overleved by choice and still the tank strategy would not always work.

Jams775

I think you are missing the beauty of that game, that is difficult but flexible enough. Vinny is overleved by choice and still the tank strategy would not always work.

That's the beauty you see in it. Not everyone feels that way. I notice that tons of people put Dark souls on a pedestal surrounded by their own ideas of how the game should be played. If none of those ways are done then they complain and say the person playing is doing it wrong.

But guess what? People enjoy games in different ways. Sorry but those things you hold so highly are not held as highly by everyone else. He didn't cheat the system. He used the tools provided to him and he had fun with it. That's what ultimately matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom