• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

phuturist

Banned
https://twitter.com/bradshoemaker/status/409036809796976641

maybe everyone will now stop mentioning that he should play TLOU now

Sure, but man, Brad's enjoyment of Last Of Us is a bummer, read this:

Brad Shoemaker said:
@alexriviello couldn't agree more. now that i have a rifle and upgradeable melee weapons, it's getting tolerable. stealth is still a drag

I...I mean he can have his opinion and all, sure, but i just don't get how The Last Of Us becomes "tolerable" with stronger weapons. I always felt the combat & stealth gameplay was one of the best gameplay systems in recent years. At least one of the more fun ones.

Thank god Patrick wrote the review, he really understood the gameplay mechanics. It seems the rest of Giant Bomb wants to play Last Of Us like a normal TPS, only some are less resistant to boredom as others.

But still of course, everyone can have their opinion and I won't be mad at them because of that. I just hope they realize not every third person game with guns has to play like Gears Of War, that's all.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Sure, but man, Brad's enjoyment of Last Of Us is a bummer, read this:

I...I mean he can have his opinion and all, sure, but i just don't get how The Last Of Us becomes "tolerable" with stronger weapons. I always felt the combat & stealth gameplay was one of the best gameplay systems in recent years. At least one of the more fun ones.

Thank god Patrick wrote the review, he really understood the gameplay mechanics. It seems the rest of Giant Bomb wants to play Last Of Us like a normal TPS, only some are less resistant to boredom as others.

But still of course, everyone can have their opinion and I won't be mad at them because of that. I just hope they realize not every third person game with guns has to play like Gears Of War, that's all.

It's not hard to understand the mechanics of the stealth, just some people like me and apparently brad found them poor/boring. The combat/stealth wasn't hard but it was not fun or rewarding so I ended up just watching the rest of the story on youtube, that is a failure in gameplay design.

ibv9XgR3uUgD9k.gif

this is amazing.

Turnstyle

Anyone else having issues with the Whisky Media buddy app on Nexus 7?

Not sure if it's since I've updated to KitKat, or they've changed their videos in some way, but recently they've been really jerky. Audio plays fine, but the video stutters. Pretty much unwatchable.

Blastoise

Banned
Man they just sold me on Stick It To The Man. Never even heard of it before.

Anyone else having issues with the Whisky Media buddy app on Nexus 7?

Not sure if it's since I've updated to KitKat, or they've changed their videos in some way, but recently they've been really jerky. Audio plays fine, but the video stutters. Pretty much unwatchable.

Yeah its a problem with KitKat. The developer said to play videos through a third party player, like MX Player.

phuturist

Banned
It's not hard to understand the mechanics of the stealth, just some people like me and apparently brad found them poor/boring. The combat/stealth wasn't hard but it was not fun or rewarding so I ended up just watching the rest of the story on youtube, that is a failure in gameplay design.

I find Racing games boring and would never play them, but I would not accuse them of failure in gameplay design, because obviously a lot of people really really like Forza 4. I also find Dishonored really boring, but maybe that kind of stealth is just not my kind. It's not like every review of TLOU said "gameplay is a failure, but the story is so good, 96/100!". Maybe it's you.

Droop

Neo Member
I really wonder what they will pick as the overall game of the year. There does not seem to be one single game that they all really, really enjoyed. At least none of the big AAA games. Brad and Jeff didn't exactly love TLOU, none of them seemed to love GTA5.
I wonder if something like Gone Home or Gunpoint will take it. I highly doubt the others will agree with Brad that Brothers is the best game. Could be an interesting discussion. I'm just bummed that they didn't like TLOU as much as I did. Definitely my GOTY.

Also,
5Etbm

Darklord

Banned
Why did they momentarily act weird on UPF when Drew was playing that Indiana Jones rip off game and the women said something like "You know the driver who tried to steal my bag? The Arab". Jeff even went 'Whoa". Is...Arab offensive in America now? The fuck?

fourstorks

Neo Member
Why did they momentarily act weird on UPF when Drew was playing that Indiana Jones rip off game and the women said something like "You know the driver who tried to steal my bag? The Arab". Jeff even went 'Whoa". Is...Arab offensive in America now? The fuck?

I'm pretty sure he was being facetious.

popo

It is at worst politically incorrect - and even then only if you are grouping anyone with brown skin. I suspect they were making a joke similar to Tested's long tunning "That's racist!".

AcridMeat

Banned
I really wonder what they will pick as the overall game of the year. There does not seem to be one single game that they all really, really enjoyed. At least none of the big AAA games. Brad and Jeff didn't exactly love TLOU, none of them seemed to love GTA5.
I wonder if something like Gone Home or Gunpoint will take it. I highly doubt the others will agree with Brad that Brothers is the best game. Could be an interesting discussion. I'm just bummed that they didn't like TLOU as much as I did. Definitely my GOTY.
Jeff may argue for it, but people are forgetting Bioshock Infinite came out this year. I think that has the best chance among that group.

Is Brad still playing TLOU on hard? Because he is going to have a bad time.

He said he just got the rifle. When does that happen again?
Bills town
is when you cross the difficulty hump early on in the game and you finally have enough stuff to handle pretty much everything.

The opening few hours of that game do beat you down quite a bit. Hope Brad doesnt give up before then.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Is Brad still playing TLOU on hard? Because he is going to have a bad time.

He said he just got the rifle. When does that happen again?
Bills town
is when you cross the difficulty hump early on in the game and you finally have enough stuff to handle pretty much everything.

The opening few hours of that game do beat you down quite a bit. Hope Brad doesnt give up before then.

I am playing on hard as well (with Listen Mode off) and just got the hunting rifle in the
gold dome building maybe 25% of the way through
, so very early on.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I find Racing games boring and would never play them, but I would not accuse them of failure in gameplay design, because obviously a lot of people really really like Forza 4. I also find Dishonored really boring, but maybe that kind of stealth is just not my kind. It's not like every review of TLOU said "gameplay is a failure, but the story is so good, 96/100!". Maybe it's you.

Do I really need to preface every statement with "in my opinion"? Since I posted it it is obviously just my opinion unless I say something like "the game crashed every time I tried to stealth kill" or something along those lines.

I felt the combat in TLoU was at it's best early when all you had was a pistol and maybe a melee weapon. It annoys me when people say "it's more enjoyable now that I have 5 guns". It's not a shooter. The stealth is what makes the game fantastic.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
I feel like Brad is really really over-thinking his experience with The Last of Us. Waiting this long to play it, taking all these breaks, going on twitter to talk about how it's getting "tolerable". I hope he's at least past Bill's Town, because I can agree that the first few hours of TLoU are grueling but the rest is super well-paced and really fun.

I hope he comes around on it, because i'm really not looking forward to the GOTY podcasts if Jeff and Brad are just completely not on-board with The Last of Us. It's easily one of my favourites of this generation, and this is coming from someone who doesn't like the Uncharted games at all.

I feel like Brad is really really over-thinking his experience with The Last of Us. Waiting this long to play it, taking all these breaks, going on twitter to talk about how it's getting "tolerable". I hope he's at least past Bill's Town, because I can agree that the first few hours of TLoU are grueling but the rest is super well-paced and really fun.

I hope he comes around on it, because i'm really not looking forward to the GOTY podcasts if Jeff and Brad are just completely not on-board with The Last of Us. It's easily one of my favourites of this generation, and this is coming from someone who doesn't like the Uncharted games at all.

Stealth isn't for everyone. I think most of the Bomb crew have expressed their distaste for stealth sections/games at one point or another. It's a real shame because they miss out on great games like the Hitman series, Dishonored (I think they all tried it, but only Patrick liked it), Splinter Cell, and now The Last of Us.

Man, I absolutely love stealth games. I can easily see why people wouldn't like them and yet I don't think I can really explain why I enjoy them so much.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
Stealth isn't for everyone. I think most of the Bomb crew have expressed their distaste for stealth sections/games at one point or another. It's a real shame because they miss out on great games like the Hitman series, Dishonored (I think they all tried it, but only Patrick liked it), Splinter Cell, and now The Last of Us.

Man, I absolutely love stealth games. I can easily see why people wouldn't like them and yet I don't think I can really explain why I enjoy them so much.

Full disclosure, I have never enjoyed stealth games and not one stealth game is on my list of favourite games. That's exactly WHY I think The Last of Us is so spectacular. It approaches stealth in (in my opinion) completely the right way: Stealth is beneficial, and the longer you can go without being spotted the easier an encounter will be for you. However, if you fuck up and get spotted you can then seamlessly swap into a more traditional combat section. It's not one of those half-baked "Stealth is optional" mechanics where not using Stealth just means you have an extremely slim chance of not getting completely wrecked.

That's also why I also found the first couple hours of The Last of Us to be a drag; way too much of a focus on zombie/clicker mixed encounters which lead to a lot of dying the second I didn't perfectly stealth my way through. Once it hit Bill's Town though, it all fit together exactly as I described above.

Anth0ny

I wonder what their GOTY will be this year. XCOM made sense last year, they must have talked about it for like 5 straight bombcasts. Seems like only Jeff and Vinny really enjoyed GTAV, only Patrick was into TLOU (did Vinny say he liked it? I thought he played it). Can't see 3D World winning either lol

so I'm going to go with Animal Crossing New Leaf

Cronen

Tested's first piece of premium content is up. Will, Norm and Adam doing an audio commentary of the film A.I. Artificial Intelligence. Link

Did anybody go ahead and get a Tested premium account? Let us know how it is!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tested's first piece of premium content is up. Will, Norm and Adam doing an audio commentary of the film A.I. Artificial Intelligence. Link

Did anybody go ahead and get a Tested premium account? Let us know how it is!
I'm hoping both GB and Tested do the 15 dollar off sale thing this Christmas.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
I wonder what their GOTY will be this year. XCOM made sense last year, they must have talked about it for like 5 straight bombcasts. Seems like only Jeff and Vinny really enjoyed GTAV, only Patrick was into TLOU (did Vinny say he liked it? I thought he played it). Can't see 3D World winning either lol

Yeah, it seems like there aren't any games this year the crew have fallen in love with. Vinny liked The Last of Us with some conceits, Jeff liked GTAV with some conceits, and everyone liked BioShock: Infinite with some conceits.

Everyone loved Bioshock.

Dota 2 will win.

As it should.

I saw this coming from when Brad refused to play any on that stream he did because he wanted to have a "pure experience". Whenever you start going into a game like that treating it as if it is some kind of transcendent experience you are going to have a bad time.

RE_Player

Whatever Brad thinks of TLoU in the end his opinion is, for lack of a better term, tainted. Him putting it off and being nagged by users to play will effect his views on it. He can love it or hate but to what degree won't be what he would have felt organically, at least that is how I would feel in his situation and based on his comments this far.

fleck0

I'm expecting both Rogue Legacy and Thomas Was Alone to have strong showings.

Edit: Stanley Parable, not thomas was alone, doh.

Whatever Brad thinks of TLoU in the end his opinion is, for lack of a better term, tainted. Him putting it off and being nagged by users to play will effect his views on it. He can love it or hate but to what degree won't be what he would have felt organically, at least that is how I would feel in his situation and based on his comments this far.

Or he played the game and doesn't really like it.

justjim89

Dota 2 will win.

As it should.

How could that win game of the year? Haven't basically been playing that same game for about 10 years? The "official release" seemed almost more like an artificial designation than anything else.

Besides, only Brad seems to really enjoy it.

Brad really liked Uncharted 3 which was a game full of poorly designed combat scenarios, cheap deaths, poor stealth design and shitty writing so if he doesn't like TLOU thats really disappointing.

TLOU is hardest in the early hours so I hope its just that.

Then again its a hard game anyway so if he went in expecting the same old super safe AAA blockbuster design that hand holds, auto aims and checkpoints you to the end of the game then thats his problem. That planned Dark Souls stream should be real interesting then.

Bookoo

Was really hoping they were going to do some sort of commentary to the VGXs. I would much rather watch them watching the VGX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom