• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dany

Banned
Now he knows what watching Giantbomb's PS4 reveal stream was like.
mc63t.gif

If Brad fights hard enough, Dota 2 will win GOTY.

I dont think Dota 2 should be up for GOTY. Yes, it officially came out this year. However, the game was so widely popular and well known that it had competitive play where the winner took home a lot of cash. Those beta keys were so easy to get you couldnt throw a rock without hitting one. If Dota 2 wins it will win on the bases of a semantic argument which is really dumb

f0rk

I dont think Dota 2 should be up for GOTY. Yes, it officially came out this year. However, the game was so widely popular and well known that it had competitive play where the winner took home a lot of cash. Those beta keys were so easy to get you couldnt throw a rock without hitting one. If Dota 2 wins it will win on the bases of a semantic argument which is really dumb

So what you're saying is the GOTY awards in 2011 or 2012 were completely flawed and they should do them again?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Then why didn't they allow dota into past year's discussions?

So what you're saying is the GOTY awards in 2011 or 2012 were completely flawed and they should do them again?

Yeah, I knew someone would bring this up. You make a valid point. Because Dota 2 is a good game, and I want it to be recognized as such. But I cant get over the fact that it was so popular before its "release". Plus, I dont even think Brad was playing Dota 2 in 2011 or 2012 so even if we had a time machine, Dota 2 would have never won.

I see two ways of getting around the issue. One, create a category for best game with on going development, Dota 2 would probably win that. Two, make the top 10 lists more personal. Instead of those lists adhering to games released this year, they should be games the individual person had played that year. Because I think the majority of us play a game that we missed last year and it becomes a favorite of ours. I think having different pentameters for the top 10 lists are really the way to go

sixghost

Yeah, I knew someone would bring this up. You make a valid point. Because Dota 2 is a good game, and I want it to be recognized as such. But I cant get over the fact that it was so popular before its "release". Plus, I dont even think Brad was playing Dota 2 in 2011 or 2012 so even if we had a time machine, Dota 2 would have never won.

I see two ways of getting around the issue. One, create a category for best game with on going development, Dota 2 would probably win that. Two, make the top 10 lists more personal. Instead of those lists adhering to games released this year, they should be games the individual person had played that year. Because I think the majority of us play a game that we missed last year and it becomes a favorite of ours. I think having different pentameters for the top 10 lists are really the way to go

who fucking cares

Megasoum

Banned
But isn't that what happens every single year with this event?

Oh yeah...nothing new tonight lol. I guess the difference is that unlike in the past years where it was just dumb and awkward (like the uncle you see once a year that tries to be "cool" and "hip") where this year McHale was bordeline insulting to anybody who genuinly love video games and its industry.

In a way I kinda feel bad for Geoff Keighley. He really sound like a cool dude that love his job but is always stuck in the worst situations.

demidar

No Man's Sky looks kinda cool, but I have a very strong feeling I just love the idea of it, and not the actual playing of it. I also think it's way too ambitious for its own good, but I guess one should aim high.

Joel McHale acting disinterested and mocking games/gamers/'game culture' wasn't what was embarrasing. It's kind of his shtick. Plus, it was fun to see him put some pressure on pr-trained studio representatives that only got softball questions from Keighley (i.e. Joel straight up asked Reggie how much money SM3DW made and if he liked the PS4/Xbox One, and asked Keighley if he has ever publicly disliked a game).

What was embarrasing were the jokes that were written for him to read off the teleprompter. Jokes about adult diapers, the female orgasm, his testicles, etc. Just really lazy, really cringy stuff. It's like the writers thought 'nobody over the age of 15 is going to watch a video games award show, right?' That's why people say that VGX/VGA is why people don't take games seriously.

Oh, and then there where the guys who were supposed to hype up the GTA concert. Oof.

What was embarrasing were the jokes that were written for him to read off the teleprompter. Jokes about adult diapers, the female orgasm, his testicles, etc. Just really lazy, really cringy stuff. It's like the writers thought 'nobody over the age of 15 is going to watch a video games award show, right?' That's why people say VGX/VGA is why people don't take games seriously.

I think this is key. A lot of people seem to be acting as if Joel just walked in off the street and started telling these terrible jokes. This was clearly written poorly in an attempt to offset Keighley. And, I mean, I'd at least hope Keighley had some say in the tone of the show and who his co-presenter is. I'd personally place the blame on the writers and whoever thought it'd be a great idea to drag the whole thing on for 3 hours.

Zaph

VGA/X is not the video game equivalent of something respectable like Academy Awards/Golden Globes - it's closer to the MTV movie awards. Expectations should be set accordingly. Not sure what Patrick hoped for.

IMO Joel gets some respect by going offscript and putting some pressure on the PRs/developers/Geoff. It's ridiculous how the gaming press generally acts like an extension of the marketing machine. Barring a couple publications, they're all scared of getting their access cut off, so they stick to whatever line of questioning PR has told them. This is why we're now in a situation of having trailers for a new gun or single car and announcements of announcement for the release date announcement. And why so few developers are allowed to sit down with Giant Bomb for an hour. PR has access wrapped up that tightly.

Not acting like Joel was some sort of savior, but because he's 'Hollywood' he doesn't have to worry about being out of a job tomorrow and can say what he pleases. We need more of that freedom (but a little less toilet humor).

demidar

VGA/X is not the video game equivalent of something respectable like Academy Awards/Golden Globes - it's closer to the MTV movie awards. Expectations should be set accordingly. Not sure what Patrick hoped for.

IMO Joel gets some respect by going offscript and putting some pressure on the PRs/developers/Geoff. It's ridiculous how the gaming press generally acts like an extension of the marketing machine. Barring a couple publications, they're all scared of getting their access cut off, so they stick to whatever line of questioning PR has told them. This is why we're now in a situation of having trailers for a new gun or single car and announcements of announcement for the release date announcement. And why so few developers are allowed to sit down with Giant Bomb for an hour. PR has access wrapped up that tightly.

Not acting like Joel was some sort of savior, but because he's 'Hollywood' he doesn't have to worry about being out of a job tomorrow and can say what he pleases. We need more of that freedom (but a little less toilet humor).

Would you say Joel acted more like a journalist than games journalists? I slept through the whole thing.

I've always said the problems with the PR-journalist (or enthusiast press really) is because publishers hold too much power. That's not likely to change anytime soon since enthusiast press will always look out for whoever gives them their pay, which is most definitely not the consumers.

What story heavy games should we expect the crew to discuss during their podcast deliberation series? I wanna get those of my to do list before they spoil them in their discussions.

Jintor

Stanley Parable
Gone Home
Papers Please (arguably)

Uh... AC IV, if you care about any of that stuff
Batman Origins? But probably not
Bioshock Infinite
Last of Us (maybe)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
God, I can't imagine how many people will be pissed off at him spoiling THAT moment in the middle lane's second tower.

Zaph

Would you say Joel acted more like a journalist than games journalists? I slept through the whole thing.

I've always said the problems with the PR-journalist (or enthusiast press really) is because publishers hold too much power. That's not likely to change anytime soon since enthusiast press will always look out for whoever gives them their pay, which is most definitely not the consumers.
No, I wouldn't go so far as to say he acted like a journalist, that would be disrespectful to the few good ones in this industry at the likes of RPS and Kotaku.

But he did shine a light on just how ridiculous the enthusiast press has allowed this industry to become - no normal person from the outside could look at all the bullshit and layers and layers of controlled PR and marketing and not go "err wtf guys?".

But because press access is so limited, because developers/designers/artists remain so invisible, were left with a environment where, unlike Hollywood, the press isn't feared. They're toothless and too eager to please PR firms/publishers (for when they apply for a job...) which allows everyone involved to lose sense of reality and we end up with VGX - couple of interesting moments wrapped in hours off bullshit.

Great thread here with people putting it far more eloquently than I: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=730645

It all originates from the same problem that causes people in this very thread to complain it's always the same developers on Giant Bomb's couch. This is an industry so artificially controlled that for most PR's, the idea of a developer sitting down and just chatting for an hour is *crazy* and would never happen.

I just watched the highlight videos in the one VGX thread. He was a comedian observing ridiculousness and improvised. From the producers point of view, it had to be a disaster but from what I saw, it was hilarious.

Was this really a celebration of the talent of the industry and the past year of games or a vehicle to promote upcoming titles to the consumer? The majority of the improvised jokes that I caught seemed to be targeting that aspect of the show.

demidar

No, I wouldn't go so far as to say he acted like a journalist, that would be disrespectful to the few good ones in this industry at the likes of RPS and Kotaku.

But he did shine a light on just how ridiculous the enthusiast press has allowed this industry to become - no normal person from the outside could look at all the bullshit and layers and layers of controlled PR and marketing and not go "err wtf guys?".

But because press access is so limited, because developers/designers/artists remain so invisible, were left with a environment where, unlike Hollywood, the press isn't feared. They're toothless and too eager to please PR firms/publishers (for when they apply for a job...) which allows everyone involved to lose sense of reality and we end up with VGX - couple of interesting moments wrapped in hours off bullshit.

Great thread here with people putting it far more eloquently than I: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=730645

It all originates from the same problem that causes people in this very thread to complain it's always the same developers on Giant Bomb's couch. This is an industry so artificially controlled that for most PR's, the idea of a developer sitting down and just chatting for an hour is *crazy* and would never happen.

It all comes from publishers having too much power, that's the root of the problem. From executive meddling to the carefully controlled press access to the poor management to the focus testing to the...

The only question is whether that's a necessary evil.

popo

Drew might look a little like Dexter but Jeff is confirmed as a sociopath.

Anonymous asked: You look like you cry a lot.

Jeff: I can’t. It’s sort of weird. There’ve been plenty of situations where it feels like I should, but it never happens.

bjork

Someone asked awhile back in this thread about the episode where Ryan tells the story of a kid throwing water on a guy. It's April 9 of this year.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Drew might look a little like Dexter but Jeff is confirmed as a sociopath.

People who are constantly "on" all the time are totally like that. Jeff can't even be alone with his thoughts for the 20 minute drive to work.
I'm not passing judgement one way or another, just observing. Jeff is a big boy.

demidar

People who are constantly "on" all the time are totally like that. Jeff can't even be alone with his thoughts for the 20 minute drive to work.
I'm not passing judgement one way or another, just observing. Jeff is a big boy.

I'm like that. My brain is constantly buzzing with activity and I find it hard to "shut off" which also makes it hard to sleep unless I'm dead tired. I just really like to think and my mind constantly wanders from topic to topic, although I prefer stewing with my thoughts to sharing said thoughts (unless I'm on Gaf).

Ken

i hope jeff's #1 game that he likes but didn't actually play so it can't be his real #1 is persona 4 dancing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom