• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Look at the community game of the generation on the forums. Did it spark a lot of interesting discussions? I certainly didn't see any. It was mostly a bunch of "you're an idiot if you vote for X, only Y deserves to win."
And people don't need a pointless popularity contest to have these kinds of debates anyway. There's already plenty of that going on. If you want oppising arguments on why Infinite or The Last of Us are terrible games, there's a lot of that.

Personal lists are great because people get to talk about games that went under the radar, like Frog Fractions last year. Other awards like best soundtrack or worst trend absolutely do spark meaningful discussions.
Overall GOTY however, only prolongs and makes louder the endless debates over which AAA game was better than the others this year. I don't see the point, but hey that's just my humble opinion.

You're opinion is wrong and your stupid for holding it.

I'm looking forward to everybody being angry cause somebody else liked a game they didn't.
And then ALL forums are going to explode cause neither GTA nor Last of Us will win GotY

I want this to happen for personal joy.

the real wildcard this year will be brad suddenly arguing tlou for goty

Or Brad just obediently agreeing with the rest over GOTY. Also leads to forum insanity.

Oxx

Maybe the race seemingly being a bit more open this year will produce a better debate.

I haven't generally been a fan of the GB method of spending 2 hours picking holes and finding flaws in a long list of games before reaching the 2 titles that have a legitimate shot of winning.

Hopefully everyone will back a different horse.

Kerned

Banned
Look at the community game of the generation on the forums. Did it spark a lot of interesting discussions? I certainly didn't see any. It was mostly a bunch of "you're an idiot if you vote for X, only Y deserves to win."
And people don't need a pointless popularity contest to have these kinds of debates anyway. There's already plenty of that going on. If you want oppising arguments on why Infinite or The Last of Us are terrible games, there's a lot of that.

Personal lists are great because people get to talk about games that went under the radar, like Frog Fractions last year. Other awards like best soundtrack or worst trend absolutely do spark meaningful discussions.
Overall GOTY however, only prolongs and makes louder the endless debates over which AAA game was better than the others this year. I don't see the point, but hey that's just my humble opinion.

A lot of people, myself included, can enjoy a healthy debate without needing to call anyone an idiot for having a different opinion. Likewise, I enjoy listening to the GB guys have a healthy debate about their favorite games of the year. If you find the debate itself or the conversations surrounding it too awful to take part in, then don't take part. I can't see any downside to them creating a site-wide GOTY list.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
The real tragedy was the lack of Miasmata discussion in their GOTY stuff last year.

LeBart

A lot of people, myself included, can enjoy a healthy debate without needing to call anyone an idiot for having a different opinion. Likewise, I enjoy listening to the GB guys have a healthy debate about their favorite games of the year. If you find the debate itself or the conversations surrounding it too awful to take part in, then don't take part. I can't see any downside to them creating a site-wide GOTY list.
I guess that's a fair point.

erawsd

the real wildcard this year will be brad suddenly arguing tlou for goty

Now that Brad has flipped and thinks the game is "incredible", I think it has a fairly good chance -- much better than folks around here seem to think. If not GOTY, I think it'll def land in the top 3. Brad and Patrick both love it; Drew and Vinny enjoyed it.. besides Infinite, I can't think of many other games that the large majority of the team enjoyed as much.

popo

Look at the community game of the generation on the forums. Did it spark a lot of interesting discussions? I certainly didn't see any.

You are more than entitled to your opinion. I would say the majority enjoy the podcasts though, I certainly do, so no need to scrap it just because a minority takes it too seriously.

Patryn

Now that Brad has flipped and thinks the game is "incredible", I think it has a fairly good chance -- much better than folks around here seem to think. If not GOTY, I think it'll def land in the top 3. Brad and Patrick both love it; Drew and Vinny enjoyed it.. besides Infinite, I can't think of many other games that the large majority of the team enjoyed as much.

I don't see Jeff letting it be GOTY.

I wish they would at least put up a list of the final 10 for goty in advance so if there is one or two games you are interested in hearing them debate and don't wish to be spoiled by the discussion you have a week or so to catch up.

I get why they wouldn't do it but it would help with avoiding getting good games spoiled for yourself.

Jeff doesn't use his pull with these decisions. He usually rolls with the consensus, if anything. If he did use his pull Saints Row 3 would've easily won the year it came out.

JonCha

I've never listened to the GOTY podcasts before. Do they literally just have debates and whittle down their choices? And do they really do this spontaneously? They must have some idea of what is going to be debated.

I don't get this. Jeff seemed to compliment the game on what it does and realizes it's good at what it does he just doesn't like it himself. It's not like he's coming in and saying the game is horrible and everyone should feel stupid. With everyone else seeming pretty positive toward it I could definitely see him being ok with it being GOTY.

I don't really see him being actively against it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I've never listened to the GOTY podcasts before. Do they literally just have debates and whittle down their choices? And do they really do this spontaneously? They I must have some idea of what is going to be debated.

They already have their personal lists made.

They compile a big list of "These are the GOTY contenders".

They whittle down that contenders list to 10 they all think need to be on the list.

They debate what should go where and why.

The 1st and 2nd place normally are a long sticking point for what is the number 1 GOTY.

Patryn

I've never listened to the GOTY podcasts before. Do they literally just have debates and whittle down their choices? And do they really do this spontaneously? They must have some idea of what is going to be debated.

They have categories ahead of time, and some general ideas of which games fit in which categories, but yes, they do just sit around and debate.

Damn, my membership expired. I wonder if they are bringing back the 35 dollar deal.

They never stop...

Hey, I'm going to be giving out some codes to PAX attendees, but I figured I'd also send some along for the forum users as well. If you want to use them, these can all be redeemed at store.giantbomb.com! I'll be updating this post with more codes as we give them out. These are first-come first serve, but there are plenty of activations for the premium memberships if you know anyone who's on the fence about that!

Also might want to follow us on Twitter and Facebook, as I forgot to bring my laptop charger and it might be easier to just send them all over there when this thing dies.

$10 off any store purchase: 97JKK
$5 off any store purchase: QQR7B
$15 off Yearly Paypal No-Shirt membership (essentially the sale price): YA85PZ
$15 off Yearly Paypal No-Shirt membership: T7RJ1VW

Note that with the Paypal memberships, it's going to take me until early next week to actually hook you up via Paypal. Sorry for the inconvenience! I also won't be around in the forums to answer questions very much, but I will be checking my twitter when I can actually get cell/wifi service.

More codes:

$15 off yearly no-shirt membership: 6MVJB, QFA5U, 5KARZ, 6RYWK, Y95XE. These all have multiple uses.

/$5 off many purchase at store: VJURK

$10 off any purchase: 88EZV

Just again, please keep in mind that it will take me a few days after Pax to hook up these memberships or extensions, as they all have to be done manually. Sorry for the inconvenience.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/pax-store-membership-codes-1451036/

Jb

I was hoping we would get the final Load our Last Souls before the end of the year. I'm sure they get a ton of traffic for their GOTY stuff but I personally find it to be the feature that plays least well to the strength of the crew. They're just not great debaters.

popo

Eh, I don't know. If its 4 votes vs his I'm not sure he could fight it. The fact that he hasn't played much of the game also works against him.

It's Jeff's GOD DAMN SHOw (site). It could happen but I don't see it. None of them want to choose a game that one of the group actively dislikes. GOTY usually comes down to a compromise game they can all agree upon.

Jeff mentioned he wouldn't buy every game in their top 10. I don't think he has that much sway by himself.

Also, why is Brad playing AC4 on Xbox? For shame Brad.

Zornack

It's Jeff's GOD DAMN SHOw (site). It could happen but I don't see it. None of them want to choose a game that one of the group actively dislikes. GOTY usually comes down to a compromise game they can all agree upon.

Jeff doesn't rule Giant Bomb with an iron fist. Both Skryim and Uncharted 2 were not his choice for GotY but they still won.

Also, why is Brad playing AC4 on Xbox? For shame Brad.

He has (is borrowing form the office?) an Xbox they received from Microsoft and is waiting for the PS4 to be available for purchase with Sony reward points.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
The Walking Dead Game wasn't even on Jeff's list, and that got the number two slot last year. I think the guy would be willing to let TLoU slide up to number one if the other duders make a compelling argument (which, between Patrick, Vinny and Brad, I think they certainly can do).

My concern is that I really don't know if there are more than ten really great games this year to make that top ten discussion interesting. It seems a little weak of a year, especially compared to years past where they had to cut a bunch of cool games to get it down to ten.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The site is already warning us about Punk Brad's influence on the GotY deliberations:

unbenannt2u6sey.jpg

edit: Beaten. I'm so mad.

Fox318

My god we are still talking about that GOTY vote.

Ryan caved because for the past few years he was barely playing games that weren't You don't know jack.

If it got to the stage that everyone except Jeff agrees on TLOU, Jeff's argument of 'the gameplay sucks' won't really hold any sway. I don't think he would stop it from happening. And honestly I can't of another game that the majority of the crew love other than that game. Maybe Gone Home or zelda, but I don't think either of those would happen.

I think that is just what he has at home right now. Didn't he say on the last podcast he doesn't have a PS4 full time?

He has (is borrowing form the office?) an Xbox they received from Microsoft and is waiting for the PS4 to be available for purchase with Sony reward points.

I think he mentioned he doesn't have a PS4 at home.

I would think he would play on PC at the very least instead of the worse next-gen version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom