• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff was the one who put Tomb Raider/the game's producers on fucking blast on the podcast before the game came out for the "you'll want to protect her" bullshit and using sexual assault as a QTE in the trailers.

I find it pretty goddamn careless and irresponsible to assail someone's character like that re: that Brad tweet without backing it up whatsoever.

Why is it always "emails" and never "females" with you, Shoemaker?
post-23470-jeremiah-jv0p1x.gif

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That article isn't exactly wrong but its kind of upsetting calling out GB. GB isn't really about videogames its about the chemistry between the staff and yeah it'd be really fuckin' cool to have a lady in the mix constantly but that lady is going to be just as much of a manchild as the rest of the crew.

IDK, its clear the formula needs to change.

Einbroch

Banned
That article is so strange.

They don't like Tomb Raider because it was a QTE fest to them and wasn't fun. I loved Tomb Raider, but I get why people don't. Then the author says that they don't understand why it was important when during the same deliberations they say that Ellie from The Last of Us is an awesome character because you get to
play as her and see things from her point of view, as a girl/woman in a strange world

Why would you even point that out when it has nothing to do with the topic on hand? She just wanted a reason to bring up podcasts like Giantbomb for being all-male and didn't have a way to do it effectively.

They even gave the damn game GOTY because of the characters, ie Ellie and Joel, so the line
But as you consider the GOTY of 2013
makes no sense.

Edit: Oh, this has been discussed to death, neeeeeeevermind.

A female voice on the crew would be great but...

No video-game site represents boys-only gaming more than Giant Bomb.

How do you defend yourself when someone makes accusations like that without making the situation much worse? Boys-only gaming doesn't seem at all what Giant Bomb promotes.

And inevitably, there will be a lot of poorly guided Giant Bomb fans defending them in the worst way possible.

That article isn't exactly wrong but its kind of upsetting calling out GB. GB isn't really about videogames its about the chemistry between the staff and yeah it'd be really fuckin' cool to have a lady in the mix constantly but that lady is going to be just as much of a manchild as the rest of the crew.

IDK, its clear the formula needs to change.

Adding a girl for the sake of adding a girl would be a horrible move, especially for a group as close knit and idiosyncratic as the bombcrew.

All that matters is if the person has the knowledge, charisma and chemistry to work in that setup. Whether or not they have external genitalia is irrelevant.

For example, I think Carrie Gouskos would make a great permanent member, whereas Patrick struggled.

Brad has been attacked for having a particularly bad understanding of women's issues?

The year can't get any more ridiculous.

I hope they send him to gender sensitivity courses and his top 10 next year consists purely of games with female leads. It would be the only thing to do after this scandalous episode.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Adding a girl for the sake of adding a girl would be a horrible move, especially for a group as close knit and idiosyncratic as the bombcrew.

All that matters is if the person has the knowledge, charisma and chemistry to work in that setup. Whether or not they have external genitalia is irrelevant.

For example, I think Carrie Gouskos would make a great permanent member, whereas Patrick struggled.

Yeah! Thats what I said!

Haunted

Stop piling on that poor woman.

Yes, she wrote a shitty and poorly researched article, but she's getting called out on it from pretty much everyone already, so no need to twist the knife any more, really.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I find it amusing that the takeaway from the Polygon/Dragon's Crown review thing was sexism rather than Sony games consistently getting low scores after Polygon got $750,000 from Microsoft.

The Polygon comment section was equally vitriolic when they gave TLOU a 7.5

2014 off to a great start with Brad being accused of having a lack of conscience about women's issue.

Certainly thought the article was poorly researched. For starters they were considering it for Best Surprise. Of course it wasn't a surprise. I don't want to dogpile on the article, but there are probably better sources for people hating on Tomb Raider than the GB guys. I really dislike the fact that Brianna seems to have the view that it's bullshit it didn't win GOTY simply because she enjoyed it so much.

It's a good game, but it isn't a great game and parts of the game really didn't feel as if Lara was being empowered. Quite the opposite in fact.

Igo

How do you defend yourself when someone makes accusations like that without making the situation much worse? Boys-only gaming doesn't seem at all what Giant Bomb promotes.
The best part is she called Brad out publically and then requested that he respond to her accusations, again publicly. Now he can't ignore it lest he then be accused of refusing to start a dialogue, reinforcing her belief that he doesn't care about women's issues. So grimy.

Tan

why is there hardly a reaction to vinny's antics during the last podcast? i nearly lost it when he made himself a dinosaur

That was all contained in the bombcast thread. And it goes without saying that all that google effects stuff is hilarious.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The best part is she called Brad out publically and then requested that he respond to her accusations, again publicly. Now he can't ignore it lest he then be accused of refusing to start a dialogue, reinforcing her belief that he doesn't care about women's issues. So grimy.

He can most certainly ignore it. And he most certainly should.

Stop piling on that poor woman.

Yes, she wrote a shitty and poorly researched article, but she's getting called out on it from pretty much everyone already, so no need to twist the knife any more, really.

She wrote an attempted hit piece that is inane, poorly founded, and almost impossible to respond to, then followed it up with a public accusation at Brad over Twitter. Doesn't make a difference what the subject matter is, you don't get to pull that shit without having some damn good reasoning behind it, or you deserve to get fucking buried over it.

faridmon

I am all for women in games, and especially amazingly created women in games. However, why doe we have to discuss every game that features a woman in GOTY discussion? Its games that are the best of the year, not the best social commentary in a game of the year.

Some people need to lose their Cognitive Dissonance view they live in.

Not to mention that she omitted Gone Home and The Last of us from her arguments. I think she had a point to make, and would just use the games that have women in it and support her argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom