• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eot

Banned
I'm kind of astonished Patrick is moving so quickly through Dark Souls. It took me 40 hours just to beat Quelaag.

He's going pretty fast, but he's also not streaming all his play so it's hard to judge. 40 hours for Quelaag is pretty slow though :p

Snow

Not to continue the Deactivision conversation too much, but if the NES remix video is literally the first QL he saw, he maybe has kind of a point. It is kind of an outlier in how negative Jeff is on the whole thing. Usually one of the appeals of the QL videos is that you get to watch them forming their opinions to some extent, but it seems like Jeff had so soured on the game already, that he almost didn't want to engage with the whole thing. There were a bunch of times where I went "hey that's neat" and a second later I heard Brad or Vinny echo my thoughts, and then Jeff basically went "naw it's still terrible" based on how far removed it is from the crazy NES Warioware game he was expecting. His opinion is a fair one, and it seems like the game is more aimed at an audience that wants to (re)discover some of the NES classics (where Jeff still remembers them and still engages with games from that time). But the video was a bit of a bummer.

I think once upon a time the idea was that QLs would have them going in completely cold. And they did that for a while, but it often resulted in just seeing loads of tutorials and intro levels that aren't super indicative of the game. So now they end up playing at least a bit of the game beforehand, which in 99% of the cases ends up with a video that's a lot more telling of the game. But on rare occasions their play before they record end up colouring their experience so much that the QL isn't really that effective anymore.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
Not to continue the Deactivision conversation too much, but if the NES remix video is literally the first QL he saw, he maybe has kind of a point. It is kind of an outlier in how negative Jeff is on the whole thing. Usually one of the appeals of the QL videos is that you get to watch them forming their opinions to some extent, but it seems like Jeff had so soured on the game already, that he almost didn't want to engage with the whole thing. There were a bunch of times where I went "hey that's neat" and a second later I heard Brad or Vinny echo my thoughts, and then Jeff basically went "naw it's still terrible" based on how far removed it is from the crazy NES Warioware game he was expecting. His opinion is a fair one, and it seems like the game is more aimed at an audience that wants to (re)discover some of the NES classics (where Jeff still remembers them and still engages with games from that time). But the video was a bit of a bummer.

I think once upon a time the idea was that QLs would have them going in completely cold. And they did that for a while, but it often resulted in just seeing loads of tutorials and intro levels that aren't super indicative of the game. So now they end up playing at least a bit of the game beforehand, which in 99% of the cases ends up with a video that's a lot more telling of the game. But on rare occasions their play before they record end up colouring their experience so much that the QL isn't really that effective anymore.

From the perspective of somebody who hasn't played NES Remix, almost none of the gameplay I saw in that 36-minute-long video seemed more than just kind of tedious. That isn't to say the game might not pick up, but man, it sure is a shame that barely any of the neat stuff about the game actually surfaces in the first hour or so. This isn't Dark Souls or something, where there's some complex systems at play you need to familiarize yourself with, it's a series of mini-games that (with some exceptions) were just kind of dull.

Yeah, I don't know about anyone else, but I watch Quick Looks to get a slice of the game being played by funny people, to see what the game is actually like for a normal person. If I wanted someone to read off press kits detailing all the features of a game, I'd save time and shove white-hot nails into my eardrums instead.

Seriously, this idea that people are playing the "wrong" part of a game, or need to be at some zen-like master level to show off how the game is "really" played is so elistist it makes me want to vomit uncontrollably.

Look, I will be honest. That QL actually made me want to buy NES Remix, more or less because the reason you bolded... but when a 'microgame' consists in "jump 5 barrels" I actually rolled my eyes as Jeff. What I'am trying to say is that I can see Jeff point withouth being bummed out because he didn't like the game. I want to buy the game, but is pretty clear that Nintendo is not learning about tutorials that stay their welcome.

Snow

From the perspective of somebody who hasn't played NES Remix, almost none of the gameplay I saw in that 36-minute-long video seemed more than just kind of tedious. That isn't to say the game might not pick up, but man, it sure is a shame that barely any of the neat stuff about the game actually surfaces in the first hour or so. This isn't Dark Souls or something, where there's some complex systems at play you need to familiarize yourself with, it's a series of mini-games that (with some exceptions) were just kind of dull.
Look, I will be honest. That QL actually made me want to buy NES Remix, more or less because the reason you bolded... but when a 'microgame' consists in "jump 5 barrels" I actually rolled my eyes as Jeff. What I'am trying to say is that I can see Jeff point withouth being bummed out because he didn't like the game. I want to buy the game, but is pretty clear that Nintendo is not learning about tutorials that stay their welcome.
I think you guys are reading more of a defence of NES Remix in my post than I intended. Pretty good chance I'll never play it in my life. QLs tend to be my favourite thing Giant Bomb puts out. It doesn't really matter that much if the game they're looking at is good or not for me. I felt this particular one was a bit of an outlier for how much Jeff already had soured on the game before anything was really shown. Which made me feel a bit more bummed out than I usually do watching QLs, even for QLs on bad/disapointing games. That's all.

I certainly don't want some objectively fair thing out of my QLs the way Deactivision seemed to want. That would be completely counter to the personality driven thing that's the very reason I like GB.

sixghost

Which is going to suck for me because the PC version is released at a latter date.

Has it been confirmed that it was going to be a significant amount of time between the two releases? I had always just assumed it would be like a week or two. They've said multiple times that the PC is the lead platform, so releasing it that much later would just be bizarre.

Prodigal

Banned
I'm kind of astonished Patrick is moving so quickly through Dark Souls. It took me 40 hours just to beat Quelaag.

It's pretty clear he's done his homework and researched a lot of the game. I doubt many areas or encounters will surprise him as he goes through it.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
PC release for Dark Souls 2 will be a great sweet-spot for me, because it'll be prior to the point of saturation where I can't really avoid seeing at least some areas/enemies from the game beforehand, but also late enough that when I really need a hint I can probably find one. My Dark Souls playthrough was perfect when I was able to discover things at my own pace rather than constantly be worrying if i'm missing content because of obscure shit (I highly doubt i'd have revisited the Asylum or seen the Painted World without taking a couple looks at wikis, or found half the helpful secret bonfires).

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's pretty clear he's done his homework and researched a lot of the game. I doubt many areas or encounters will surprise him as he goes through it.

Also he stated that he isn't streaming everything, just when something interesting like a boss might happen.

PC release for Dark Souls 2 will be a great sweet-spot for me, because it'll be prior to the point of saturation where I can't really avoid seeing at least some areas/enemies from the game beforehand, but also late enough that when I really need a hint I can probably find one. My Dark Souls playthrough was perfect when I was able to discover things at my own pace rather than constantly be worrying if i'm missing content because of obscure shit (I highly doubt i'd have revisited the Asylum or seen the Painted World without taking a couple looks at wikis, or found half the helpful secret bonfires).

Yeah, to be honest this is probably how I'll go as well. :p

Yeah, that was gross. I was interested in the upcoming PC port, but so much of that game killed my interest.

dat Hayter though...

Pre-MGS3 Hayter or MGS3-Post Hayter?

Speaking of MGS, I loved the heck out of the new Rising Quick Look except that I thought Jeff would have known that he could parry every attack that he was dodging or unable to avoid in those RAY fights. Hmm.

Loving catching Patrick's Spelunky videos while I play Spelunky too. Beat it for the first time today! Not a Hell run, but still!!

Megasoum

Banned
A real tribute to Ryan would have named him Bobo.

Edit - oh, I see people voted to get the name into the run. That's pretty awesome. Well done, guys.

It was a donation run... They had a couple of names possible for each character and the one with most donations won.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
Brad talking about his apparently dashed high hopes for Rust after spawning in and refusing to engage with the core element of the game is a bit like firing up Mario for the first time, choosing not to use the jump button and being disappointed.

Yeah, I should have just killed those guys for your amusement, you know, the GB fans who were trying to help me out in a game where dying means you lose all your hard-earned stuff. Cool idea.

Zaph

Yeah, I should have just killed those guys for your amusement, you know, the GB fans who were trying to help me out in a game where dying means you lose all your hard-earned stuff. Cool idea.
Come on dude, most of the time complaints in this thread are hot air.

But you can't re-watch your UPF Rust footage and seriously say you weren't being slightly hard headed? In-game players were trying to engage you, guys on the couch were trying to engage you, chat was trying to... enrage you.

You're weren't building a career or managing your finances, it's a video game. Who gives a fuck if you lose your 'hard-earned' stuff? Unclench and have some fun.

Tan

I mean I get how someone can misunderstand and lose interest in a lot of things in Rust but... seeing Brad run into some other dude's giant fortress and then run out was heart breaking. What if there was a gun in one of those boxes!? Or something else real crazy!

Holy shit did something happen to Jeff? He was pretty nasty in that NES remix QL.

Man when they first announced NES Remix I had built up impossibly high expectations of some wario-ware style super mario crossover type thing and it sounds like Jeff had the same idea. I can totally see why he's so bummed about it even if it does get more interesting later on.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
Come on dude, most of the time complaints in this thread are hot air.

But you can't re-watch your UPF Rust footage and seriously say you weren't being slightly hard headed? In-game players were trying to engage you, guys on the couch were trying to engage you, chat was trying to... enrage you.

You're weren't building a career or managing your finances, it's a video game. Who gives a fuck if you lose your 'hard-earned' stuff? Unclench and have some fun.

What else was I supposed to do if I couldn't build the hatchet, the first item on the entire tech tree? All the stones were mined out on that server; it took me the entire segment to find a single node. It was that or uselessly flail my stone at guys with guns, which I did. It's live TV, shit happens. Don't let that get in the way of the nonstop refrain of HURRRR BRAD SUX DONT UNDERSTNAD GAMZ, though.

What else was I supposed to do if I couldn't build the hatchet, the first item on the entire tech tree? All the stones were mined out on that server; it took me the entire segment to find a single node. It was that or uselessly flail my stone at guys with guns, which I did. It's live TV, shit happens. Don't let that get in the way of the nonstop refrain of HURRRR BRAD SUX DONT UNDERSTNAD GAMZ, though.

Fortunately not all of us are on that train. I shudder to think what GAF would think of my videogame skills is this is somehow considered bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom