• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering how much I'm enjoying watching Patrick play Spelunky and Dark Souls, I would be totally fine if GB didn't hire more people and instead the gaps in content was just videos of the guys making their ways through games. Hopefully Brad starts up something after making it through Volgarr.

After this, we sure have to hope so....

Zabant

Guys!!

I finally cracked the code to Breaking Brad so it's enjoyable!

Ignore all the shit that's going on screen and anything that brad says and treat it like a Bonus Bombcast starring Matt Rorie where they talk about Film.

I'm now suddenly really enjoying it.

Sakwoff

I'd love to watch that, but I can't get anything on Twitch to play for more than 10 seconds without buffering for 30.

Yeah, it's really horrible right now. Jeff's made a highlight of it though, so maybe he'll upload the archive to youtube or something.

lol51

I wanted to watch Jeff's Good Morning Commodore but it buffers for minutes time before showing 5 seconds of clip. This is horrible - what happened to twitch.

I found a site (twitchtools.com) where you can link a twitch video url and it will retrieve 30 minute segmented FLV files of that video. I think that'll be what i'll do to watch this content.

Edit: At their bandwidth it takes about 2 hours to download 400MB (30 minutes of content)

LackingSaint

Neo Member
Guys!!

Ignore all the shit that's going on screen and anything that brad says and treat it like a Bonus Bombcast starring Matt Rorie where they talk about Film.

Is it just me who doesn't at all understand this kind of view? Like, sure, Brad fucks up, but he's also playing difficult games live on a stream. I couldn't even try to start playing Volgarr or Mile High Club, let alone with an audience of hundreds. And yeah, the best part of a GiantBomb Video Series is the conversation, not the gameplay. Shocking!

EDIT: Oh, I missed the "ignore anything that Brad says" point the first time reading. I guess you're just a dick?

Guys!!

But I like the stuff that's going on screen and anything that Brad says. : (

RealMeat

Banned
Also, roguelikes. Seeing Nethack showed me how I've apparently actually never played a proper roguelike, because those things are way more insane than "It has permadeath" The amount of times Ian went "Oh and also I forgot to mention this completely insane thing." was amazing.

I think going straight to ASCII might be too much, but is there a modern effort that comes close? Is Dungeons of Dredmor a proper roguelike?

Tales of Maj'Eyal just came out on steam. It's a proper old-school roguelike (I first played it in ascii over a decade ago) but it's been updated graphics and a decent GUI.

On a less assholish note, Spelunkin with Scoops is becoming one of my favorite series of content. Really fun to watch, Patrick does entertaining commentary, and it got me to start using my Vita again for Spelunky.

I finally made it to the jungle after picking up some tips from watching Patrick play. I still suck but I'm having fun. Thanks Scoops.

Zabant

Is it just me who doesn't at all understand this kind of view? Like, sure, Brad fucks up, but he's also playing difficult games live on a stream.
There is no way at all to respond to this without me sounding like an elitist douche, but i'm going to say it anyway.

I make the same mistakes as Brad, but only the once, then I learn from them, he doesn't, he keeps banging his head against a problem till he lucks into the solution.

At first the videos are hilarious as he fails, but when he keep fucking up, then he starts blaming the game itself, he blames the developers, sometimes he just straight up lies "I DIDN'T PRESS THAT" I feel a twinge of annoyance and feel It's insulting to both the game's quality and the developer due to his stubbornness.

Jeff takes over at this point in making the video enjoyable again by making fun of brads ineptitude, "you should kill that" or responding to his claims of foul play by the game with "Uh-huh"

after that it descends into "fuck shit!" "COME OOON" "I DIDNT DO THAT" as he dies to the same enemy in the same way for the umpteenth time.

It's my own fault, I believe brad can change, I believe he can get past blaming the games and realise it's only himself holding him back, it's the foolish hope that keeps me going.

Thank god for vinny, his upbeat attitude to everything and just general likeability keeps me watching if only to hear him interact with rorie and jeff as they talk about other shit.

On a less assholish note, Spelunkin with Scoops is becoming one of my favorite series of content. Really fun to watch, Patrick does entertaining commentary, and it got me to start using my Vita again for Spelunky.

I finally made it to the jungle after picking up some tips from watching Patrick play. I still suck but I'm having fun. Thanks Scoops.

I just watched the first episode and it was great. I've sucked at the game since I got it on 360 and never made it passed the first level of the ice caves (which I've only got to once). I've never really looked into tips or the various Spelunky streams/vids, so I've already picked up a few tips from Patrick. He's definitely right about the Shotgun, I don't know why I never tried using that.

His second run on the first ep was fantastic, so many stupidely lucky moments only to get die from a silly mistake. I've now been playing some on my Vita while watching a Jar Time video, first time I've picked it up in a few months, didn't do very well on the daily though :(

Zabant

Also, as an add-on to my last post. Don't amount me getting annoyed with how Brad plays games to me not liking the guy.

I think his insight on the things that interest him is worth listening to and he's an intelligent guy that brings subjects to the table the other members of the bomb crew don't have an interest in; for example he's a fellow fan of cosmology and science in general, I'd love to get a drink with the dude and talk about some of that stuff.

Too many folks on GB and here are prone to kneejerk reactions such as "If you hate him so much why do you visit this site?!"

That question is tantamount to "if you don't like chicken bones why do you even eat chicken" (bonless4life)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Also, roguelikes. Seeing Nethack showed me how I've apparently actually never played a proper roguelike, because those things are way more insane than "It has permadeath" The amount of times Ian went "Oh and also I forgot to mention this completely insane thing." was amazing.

I think going straight to ASCII might be too much, but is there a modern effort that comes close? Is Dungeons of Dredmor a proper roguelike?

This sentence has the wrong name at the end of it.

Dungeons of Dredmor is one of the more accessible roguelikes that's actually still a roguelike. Sword of the Stars: The Pit is another good choice, but it's not quite as forgiving as Dredmor can be. Relatively speaking, of course. Neither is an easy game in the grand scheme of things, but Dungeons of Dredmor does have more difficulty settings and an option to make the maps smaller with faster experience gain.

Guys!!

Yup, all Breaking Brad streams are treated as Video Bombcasts for me :) (though I disagree with ignoring anything Brad says part)

Okay team, let's get serious *pulls out chair, sits on it backwards*

This thread has kind of a weird reputation. The mods barely ever come in here. It gets creepy on weekends. People get bizarrely, personally upset at others having different opinions, be they games journalists or people disagreeing with games journalists. It's insular. And while it's gotten better in the six to twelve months, the people that this thread loves to watch have a notorious reputation of only jumping in here to post angry responses.

So I think we need to go over some ground rules going forward.

Don't be a jerk.
A self-explanatory rule, but an important one nonetheless. People who disagree with you are not "insane." They are not "pathetic." They are not "a dick." Even if you think they're wrong about something, there's no reason to treat them with disrespect.

If someone is posting something that terrible or offensive that you really feel the need to respond strongly? Either keep it clean or report it to a moderator and one or more mods will decide what to do. Y'all are rather good about not needing mod intervention, so I can trust that will rarely ever happen.​

Remember that the Giant Bomb staff are posters and read this thread.
Please try to remember that Jeff, Brad, Patrick, and Vinny are posters here. While that doesn't mean you can't criticize or disagree with anything they say or do (more on that below), it does mean that you should treat them like any other NeoGAF user: with the same respect as outlined above. While commentary on a on-screen personality's attitude or performance in games is expected, try to remember that they're reading the things you write, and that it impacts whether and how they'll respond here.

As examples:

• "Brad seemed to be wrong there. He didn't understand that you had to junction the bafmodad in order to hyperjump even when the prompt told him to." This is fine.
  • "Brad is so hardheaded and terrible at games lol" This isn't necessarily rulebreaking, but it doesn't really add to anything, especially if the page is already filled with similar comments.
  • "Jeff seemed to be in a bad mood today. Wouldn't want to get on his bad side!" Sure, fine.
  • "Jeff seemed to be a jaded husk of a man today. After going through his Twitter timeline and Facebook photos, and crossreferencing with the DSM-5, I'm fairly certain I can diagnose Jeff and recommend some lifestyle changes." This is really creepy and overly personal!
  • "I find myself disagreeing with a lot of what Patrick writes." Patrick doesn't write articles just for people to agree with him!
  • "Patrick is such a shit writer. I hope he stays in Chicago, the Bombcast is better if he's gone." Wow, you're a real jerk!

This is not the Giant Bomb Secret Clubhouse.
Giant Bomb is a unique site. It covers games in a way that a lot of other sites don't. That's why we love them! So it's to be expected that a passionate and dedicated community would spring up here. Hooray for Giant Bomb!

That said, it's still a thread on NeoGAF, and not everyone will have the same tastes as you, especially if something is unique. If someone comes in and doesn't "quite get" what Giant Bomb is about or why they do the things they do, please be courteous in responding to them. Don't just drive them away by being bossy or getting up in their face about it.

This also, in general, applies to anyone (new or old) who merely has a criticism or differing opinion on what Giant Bomb's doing or saying. If someone notes that a Quick Look or UPF wasn't great for whatever reason, don't accuse them of being fanboys for the game(s) in question or get overly defensive of Giant Bomb. When a person thinks a video might have been more entertaining if the staff knew more about the game, don't trot out ridiculous false dichotomies like "Oh, so you think they shouldn't have fun, they should be thrown in jail for 20 years because they don't play like soulless TAS robots, huh!?!?!?" This doesn't contribute to the conversation at all. Trying to be passive-aggressive about it by airing complaints about "some people in this thread" isn't any different, it just makes you look condescending and overdefensive.​

There were a few other topics I considered bringing up, like pirating subscriber content or going off-topic for 500 pages about a Polygon editor picking his nose on Twitter, but the first never happens and the second is something that only happens on another forum's Giant Bomb thread.

To be clear, there's very rarely occasion for direct mod intervention in this thread, and I'm sure a lot of these rules are obvious to y'all. Just try and remember the first rule and I'm sure you'll all be fine. This isn't an occupation enforcing imperial law, I'm not going to be crucifying people if they start to edge close to the (fuzzy) line on these things. In practice, practically nothing should change except people being a bit nicer to each other. So let's try and work towards that, okay?

Kind of a bummer to see Jeff talk about Rising only from the perspective of normal mode and not the higher difficulties which really completely change how you approach combat and reveal its intricacies. Vinny and Brad's reactions to some of the absurdity was amusing though.

Having a resident mod in here is gonna make this thread so much less schizophrenic.

As long as nobody messes with my Drew gifs.

tumblr_mz9hq22FDx1s4wcdio1_250.gif

Glix

There is no way at all to respond to this without me sounding like an elitist douche, but i'm going to say it anyway.

I make the same mistakes as Brad, but only the once, then I learn from them, he doesn't, he keeps banging his head against a problem till he lucks into the solution.

At first the videos are hilarious as he fails, but when he keep fucking up, then he starts blaming the game itself, he blames the developers, sometimes he just straight up lies "I DIDN'T PRESS THAT" I feel a twinge of annoyance and feel It's insulting to both the game's quality and the developer due to his stubbornness.

Jeff takes over at this point in making the video enjoyable again by making fun of brads ineptitude, "you should kill that" or responding to his claims of foul play by the game with "Uh-huh"

after that it descends into "fuck shit!" "COME OOON" "I DIDNT DO THAT" as he dies to the same enemy in the same way for the umpteenth time.

It's my own fault, I believe brad can change, I believe he can get past blaming the games and realise it's only himself holding him back, it's the foolish hope that keeps me going.

Thank god for vinny, his upbeat attitude to everything and just general likeability keeps me watching if only to hear him interact with rorie and jeff as they talk about other shit.

I don't think your should ever watch Game Center CX. Ever.

Zaph

People pirate subscriber content... really?! -_-
Yup. A couple threads back there was a guy trying to argue that just because it's possible to access member content if you know the direct URL to the media, it's okay to spread the links because it's GB's fault for not having a more secure system...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The content quality jump between subscriber and free stuff is pretty depressing though. Free stuff is barely worth watching these days.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
That was realtalk, Emcee. It's a little hard to watch the way things go in here sometimes knowing that GB actually reads/posts too.

MormaPope

Banned
Kind of a bummer to see Jeff talk about Rising only from the perspective of normal mode and not the higher difficulties which really completely change how you approach combat and reveal its intricacies. Vinny and Brad's reactions to some of the absurdity was amusing though.

For Rising Hard difficulty basically amounts to being medium difficulty for anyone that has played action games before. I'm glad Jeff is fighting the good fight and trying to get Vinny/Brad to play Rising. Wish Rising was more explicit with how almost everything can be parried though, I don't know if Jeff knows that all of Metal Gear Ray's physical attacks can be parried.

justjim89

People pirate subscriber content... really?! -_-

I'll admit I did for a short period of time right around when they first started doing UF. Posted on the Giant Bomb thread at the time about it assuming it was a fairly common practice. Like all people caught doing something shitty and foolish, I got real defensive before getting a ban for a few days. Right around then during my ban I had some birthday money come in and bought a full year sub and have since felt much better about myself. My sub ends in April, I hope I can afford to renew.

Lesson of the day: Don't take advice from scumbags on /v/ and assume it's an alright thing a lot of people do.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Is it just me who doesn't at all understand this kind of view? Like, sure, Brad fucks up, but he's also playing difficult games live on a stream. I couldn't even try to start playing Volgarr or Mile High Club, let alone with an audience of hundreds. And yeah, the best part of a GiantBomb Video Series is the conversation, not the gameplay. Shocking!

EDIT: Oh, I missed the "ignore anything that Brad says" point the first time reading. I guess you're just a dick?

Sometimes I think people only think Brad is bad at games cause he is the only one of the crew who plays really hard games and enjoys them. And watching somebody play hard games makes it easy to think "Man, HOW THE HELL did he jump on those spikes? That guy is bad at games!"

Ketch

Sometimes I think people only think Brad is bad at games cause he is the only one of the crew who plays really hard games and enjoys them. And watching somebody play hard games makes it easy to think "Man, HOW THE HELL did he jump on those spikes? That guy is bad at games!"

Exactly, he's got a serious rap sheet. Mile high club, and doom 2 on ultra violence is enough to qualify him in my book. But the meme is hilarious, and if it motivates him to torture himself for our enjoyment then I'm all for it!

Cyrix

Neo Member
In a Professional Wednesdays, Brad was constantly failing a jump in a Trials game. Ryan was like "Dammit give me a shot" and did it on his first try. Oh god that was hilarious.

I had a similar experience to this with a friend of mine.

He was stuck on a boss in Odin Sphere, a game I had never played before and was much more in his wheelhouse than mine, he bashed his head against it 5-6 times just while i was there. So I ask to give it a try cause I'm curious and the game looks cool he even gave me a "you're gonna get blown up cause you haven't played any of this game" speech, I proceed to just demolish the damn thing, and hand the controller back to him.

fomXvN0.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom