• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What else was I supposed to do if I couldn't build the hatchet, the first item on the entire tech tree? All the stones were mined out on that server; it took me the entire segment to find a single node. It was that or uselessly flail my stone at guys with guns, which I did. It's live TV, shit happens. Don't let that get in the way of the nonstop refrain of HURRRR BRAD SUX DONT UNDERSTNAD GAMZ, though.

Calm down.

What else was I supposed to do if I couldn't build the hatchet, the first item on the entire tech tree? All the stones were mined out on that server; it took me the entire segment to find a single node. It was that or uselessly flail my stone at guys with guns, which I did. It's live TV, shit happens. Don't let that get in the way of the nonstop refrain of HURRRR BRAD SUX DONT UNDERSTNAD GAMZ, though.

There are plenty of things on the tree you can build with just wood (as I just found out by glancing at the tree for 2 seconds) You could have tried some of those, as it seemed like wood was everywhere.

Question though. What the hell were you actually gonna do with the hatchet if you found the stones for it? You weren't gonna use it as a weapon, because oh no the GB fans who are playing a game where the entire point is people unexpectedly turning on each other might be upset if someone turned on them. I also don't see the point of it as a resource gathering tool, considering you spent that entire time not finding any resources to gather.

You would have died, lost the hatchet, and been even more disappointed at the game.

Chuck

Still without luck
Goodness this republique writing is super duper bad. I guess Ryan Payton has problems with more than just spelling...

Yeah, I should have just killed those guys for your amusement, you know, the GB fans who were trying to help me out in a game where dying means you lose all your hard-earned stuff. Cool idea.

Pardon? Did you quote the wrong person?

Who said anything about killing them? How about listening to them, or reading what they were typing out in global chat, you had tons of people pointing out what you should try to do. Just about everyone you came across during the stream was talking to you and offering help but your character was basically a naked deaf-mute running around hitting things and people with a rock.

The core mechanic of the game is interaction with other players, whether that involves violence or not is up to the individual and the situation. And I honestly would like to know what it was that made you have such high hopes for a game that could be dashed by (as Jeff pointed out) the least conducive way to try the game for the first time. Like I said, Rust is probably not a game you'd be into, and that's fine, I'm just curious about what drew you to it in the first place.

Tan

Goodness this republique writing is super duper bad. I guess Ryan Payton has problems with more than just spelling...

Yeah that was probably one of the few times I've completed disagreed with their impressions on a quick look. I came away from that thing completely uninterested.

You should have shown them your dong imo. What's what I did and I'm not awesome at Rust.

valeo

Jesus some of you guys take quick looks and giant bomb in general far too seriously. It's pretty pathetic ragging on someone just because they didnt play a game the same way you would

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Considering how much I'm enjoying watching Patrick play Spelunky and Dark Souls, I would be totally fine if GB didn't hire more people and instead the gaps in content was just videos of the guys making their ways through games. Hopefully Brad starts up something after making it through Volgarr.

AcridMeat

Banned
Those emotes were my favorite thing about that quick look.

(「‘ω’)」
Me too honestly. Well apart from the AI wigging out.
Jesus some of you guys take quick looks and giant bomb in general far too seriously. It's pretty pathetic ragging on someone just because they didnt play a game the same way you would
These kinds of comments are about as bad as anyone who actually does rag for no reason. The people who replied to Brad aren't even being aggressive. They're using reason for why he is mistaken. But keep on labeling it as pathetic ragging, because everyone should just be sheep.

Yes because the only two options you have when playing Rust are "Play it exactly like I would" and "Run in a straight line and don't do anything"

As someone actively disinterested in watching anything DOTA, I would actually like to watch some Rust gameplay on a semi-regular basis from Brad.

zam

What else was I supposed to do if I couldn't build the hatchet, the first item on the entire tech tree? All the stones were mined out on that server; it took me the entire segment to find a single node. It was that or uselessly flail my stone at guys with guns, which I did. It's live TV, shit happens.

Hi Brad, just wanted to give you a few pointers on Rust, not hating on you or saying you suck at games, it's just that everyone who goes into Rust completely blind usually have the same experience as you did.

*First order of business is to get your bearings and figure out where you are. A map over the areas can be found here.
*Resource valleys will (obviously) have lots of resources (aka wood and mining nodes). Towns and compunds will have good loot but will be irradiated. Some type of clothing and anti-rad meds will help combat the radiation. You can withstand up to about 500 rads until it starts to affect your health.
*Mining nodes constantly respawn. Some areas have more nodes than others.
*You can gather wood from any tree, but will get more wood/swing from wood piles. You can only gather stone from mining nodes.
*Building a hatchet is a good idea, but while being the first weapon you can craft, there are plenty other things you can build
*Building a wood shack with a fireplace (and possibly a furnace for smelting metal ore) is also a good idea, and a crate to store your stuff in.
*If you craft and put down a sleeping bag, you can respawn at that sleeping bag (by clicking "At Camp" instead of respawn), unless the sleeping bag is destroyed.

For more info check out the "official" Rust Thread.

Obviously many of the things on that list are hard to do or figure out when you're doing a livestream and trying to talk to everyone else at the same time, and are completely new to the game. I just hope that it didn't completely sour you on Rust because although the game is in very early Alpha, it still is a great experience with lots of opportunities for emergent gameplay.

Also, roguelikes. Seeing Nethack showed me how I've apparently actually never played a proper roguelike, because those things are way more insane than "It has permadeath" The amount of times Ian went "Oh and also I forgot to mention this completely insane thing." was amazing.

I think going straight to ASCII might be too much, but is there a modern effort that comes close? Is Dungeons of Dredmor a proper roguelike?

As someone actively disinterested in watching anything DOTA, I would actually like to watch some Rust gameplay on a semi-regular basis from Brad.

This sentence has the wrong name at the end of it.

Brashnir

Also, roguelikes. Seeing Nethack showed me how I've apparently actually never played a proper roguelike, because those things are way more insane than "It has permadeath" The amount of times Ian went "Oh and also I forgot to mention this completely insane thing." was amazing.

I think going straight to ASCII might be too much, but is there a modern effort that comes close? Is Dungeons of Dredmor a proper roguelike?

Dredmor is in the ballpark. You might also want to look at something like Hack, Slash, Loot, which is also on Steam.

I'd watch any of them run it, but Brad seemed like the only one that actually would.

DoctorZ

I find the notion of people getting all up in arms about the GB crew not playing games right or in an informative way hilarious, especially when Brad's the target. Brad went into Rust cold, what do you expect from him? It ended up being pretty entertaining to me as someone who could care less about spending money on Rust at the moment (I'll probably check it out when its further along). Maybe if I was way into it right now I'd feel a bit angry and how Brad represented the game, but I'd still be entertained by what I watched.

He just doesn't go into games with the mission to break it, like Vinny does so its not the same type of comedy mayhem. But in the end I'd rather watch Brad, Jeff or Vinny fumble through a new game over anything else that might be considered actual "games coverage".

I'd actually prefer them to go into games cold more often and play it how they want. It usually ends up entertaining, as in Jeff demanding for murder while Brad runs around confused with GB users awkwardly making noises into their mics that the GB guys probably can barely hear.

Also, glad to finally see Ian get a segment on UPF. I wish they would have just gotten him to show off some more PC games. Similar to how they had Dave do QLs in the past.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Brad playing Rust was exactly like my experience playing Rust, well minus people actually helping me. I don't really get the anger. He tried to find stones and didn't find them. Same thing happenes to me all the time. And then I get killed by some guy. Some dude kept yelling at him in the chat and he ignored him. Okay, so what? I didn't know about pigs when I started the game, I had to learn about them by myself. Brad played Rust like most people play Rust the first time (except he wasn't killing everybody which makes me wish more people were like that).
I guess Rust is a game like Dark Souls were people are so invested in that they can't stand to see someone new play it without him having spent time on soe FAQs? I dunno, this all seems kinda exaggerated to me.

Oh yeaaaaah. Especially this "Oh you found my super duper awesome video game! Man I love the boss music, it's so great. Here is a link, buy it. Also it's an Atari cartridge cause that's cool" stuff is suuuuuuuuuuuuper off-putting and dumb.

zam

I didn't really have any problems with how Brad played Rust, that's pretty much how it goes for everyone else who is new to the game (unless they are playing with someone who knows the game). I just hope he wasn't soured on it from that short playtime (and some people's reactions in this thread), because the game does have some great experiences to offer.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Yeah, I should have just killed those guys for your amusement, you know, the GB fans who were trying to help me out in a game where dying means you lose all your hard-earned stuff. Cool idea.

Yes, because anyone who attempts to bring constructive criticism of the GB staff is a troll.

But keep on labeling it as pathetic ragging, because everyone should just be sheep.

Yes because the only two options you have when playing Rust are "Play it exactly like I would" and "Run in a straight line and don't do anything"

sarcasm levels are through the roof in this thread

BanGy.nz

Banned
Brad, forget these Rust assholes and go play the only game that matters Dotes. (Please stream more DOTA2 or get Crispy (RANKED WARRIOR) to stream more... What I'm saying is someone needs to stream DOTA2).

derFeef

Games like Rust and DayZ are games that you can enjoy your own way, I think it's pretty silly to say you are playing those games wrong if you do your thing. If it's my desire to make a hatchet as my first goal, let me make a hatchet.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
Games like Rust and DayZ are games that you can enjoy your own way, I think it's pretty silly to say you are playing those games wrong if you do your thing. If it's my desire to make a hatchet as my first goal, let me make a hatchet.

Especially when your main complaint is "ALL HE DID WAS RUN STRAIGHT AHEAD". Like seriously, it's an undirected open-world game, exploring is the thing every single person would do if they started a game like that cold.

f0rk

Especially when your main complaint is "ALL HE DID WAS RUN STRAIGHT AHEAD". Like seriously, it's an undirected open-world game, exploring is the thing every single person would do if they started a game like that cold.
He ran away from everyone. Some of them might have been able to help. The group at the end following him seemed to want to but they were mostly just ignored. The biggest problem was presuming everyone was out to kill him when he didn't even have any stuff.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
He ran away from everyone. Some of them might have been able to help. The group at the end following him seemed to want to but they were mostly just ignored. The biggest problem was presuming everyone was out to kill him when he didn't even have any stuff.

Are you playing Rust? I'm just curious cause that is EXACTLY what is happening to me.

Nes remix is such a let down. Rust seems alright will wait until the game is fully released also stop fighting violence breeds more violence.

chogidogs

Ryan is #1 on Reddit. Good job guys!

267OJU7.png
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1v0t5t/agdq_hits_1_million_dollars/

obonicus

Nethack is somewhat unique in its weirdness, even as far as roguelikes go.

Brad playing Rust was exactly like my experience playing Rust, well minus people actually helping me. I don't really get the anger. He tried to find stones and didn't find them. Same thing happenes to me all the time. And then I get killed by some guy. Some dude kept yelling at him in the chat and he ignored him. Okay, so what? I didn't know about pigs when I started the game, I had to learn about them by myself. Brad played Rust like most people play Rust the first time (except he wasn't killing everybody which makes me wish more people were like that).
I guess Rust is a game like Dark Souls were people are so invested in that they can't stand to see someone new play it without him having spent time on soe FAQs? I dunno, this all seems kinda exaggerated to me.
Yeah, first time I went in cold I found no stones, and built an abortion of a structure I couldn't finish because I put it in a bad spot. Then I starved to death

Were people really losing their shit that much over this? Christ alive.

Sakwoff

Instead of complaining about nonsense you guys had better watch Jeff's archived C64 stream on twitch. It's awesome. Him being close to tears (not really, but you know, gametears) after half an hour of failing to pick up the thing on the railing in that motorbike game is priceless.

Kerned

Banned
Instead of complaining about nonsense you guys had better watch Jeff's archived C64 stream on twitch. It's awesome. Him being close to tears (not really, but you know, gametears) after half an hour of failing to pick up the thing on the railing in that motorbike game is priceless.

I'd love to watch that, but I can't get anything on Twitch to play for more than 10 seconds without buffering for 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom