• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

I keep trying to watch the P4 ER, I'm at probably part 25 or so. But I just really don't have any interest in the game or the characters at all. So the more they get invested into the game and the world and the story the less interested I find myself.

you monster ;__;

Flandy

I also assume that you haven't seen their new super mario bros Wii quick look?

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-new-super-mario-bros-wii/2300-1633/

One of the their first great quick looks and one of their best in fact.

Mostly just to see them suppress their urge to kill each other.
This sounds wonderful
Have you watched Farming Simulator 2011 and 2013?
Nope. I'll get to it later

Kinda depressing watching some of the videos with Ryan. Didn't know how he was like but its bums me out whenever I watch a video with him :\

Haunted

Real talk, I'm done with Drew. Just doesn't work with me
zYl28IV.gif

ibQrjanSQnJHw.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Motorbike just reminds me that I want to know where my new Trials game is.
And a better Trackmania.

Basically, more racing games need sick ass jumps.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
The content quality jump between subscriber and free stuff is pretty depressing though. Free stuff is barely worth watching these days.
Pretty much just listen to the bombcast these days. Maybe a quick look here or there if there's a game I'm interested in, but there's not a lot of those.

Pretty much just listen to the bombcast these days. Maybe a quick look here or there if there's a game I'm interested in, but there's not a lot of those.

Yeah I agree, they are missing a good non subscriber show, not much interesting for non subs during this game drought and without Thursday Night Throwdown. They could even make Breaking Brad or Load our Last Souls non sub to kind of help the problem.

Xanathus

Yeah I agree, they are missing a good non subscriber show, not much interesting for non subs during this game drought and without Thursday Night Throwdown. They could even make Breaking Brad or Load our Last Souls non sub to kind of help the problem.

It's pretty clear they're just coasting on the bare minimum amount of work they need to do to retain sub numbers or whatever target CBSi is asking them to achieve. They no longer have a vested interest to make Giantbomb bigger than it currently is because they do not own any stake in it anymore. I wouldn't expect any new shows or video events unless it's something one of them personally wants to do like Spook's Spelunkin.

Oxx

I've been slowly going through the P4 ER over the years (with huge gaps in between), but I've started getting back into it this week.

Still only at episode 77, so a long way to go. I might finish it before P5 comes out in English.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Jeff keeps talking about how he wants to make the site bigger in every other Jar Time and it comes up pretty often on tumblr as well.

Not going to do that with most the recent quick look quality, honestly. I don't see anything they put out recently that someone, who's unfamiliar with them, would say 'oh, that's hilarious and memorable, i'd like to subscribe to see more.'

The free Friday show was pretty dull, too much Windjammers(such a thing exists), and what was even the last really memorable quick look? Where as premium had stuff like Vinny beating Dark Souls, Just Cause multiplayer, and all sorts of great stuff. It's great if you're a subscriber, but I can't imagine hooking new people with the current free content.

skynidas

Banned
They should say, Fuck it, and become a suscriber only website. I think they can do it, i doubt they get too much ad revenue on the website banners.

Not going to do that with most the recent quick look quality, honestly. I don't see anything they put out recently that someone, who's unfamiliar with them, would say 'oh, that's hilarious and memorable, i'd like to subscribe to see more.'

The games they've looked at lately have been so dull that there's not much for them to work with. They make great videos about games that they're passionate about and games that are so awful that they can just crap on them for 45 minutes. Ashes Cricket video was absolutely great.

They should say, Fuck it, and become a suscriber only website. I think they can do it, i doubt they get too much ad revenue on the website banners.
You don't get more subscribers by being subscriber-only, though. I know I would've never subscribed if it wasn't for their quick looks.

Mr. F

Banned

The free Friday show was pretty dull, too much Windjammers(such a thing exists), and what was even the last really memorable quick look? Where as premium had stuff like Vinny beating Dark Souls, Just Cause multiplayer, and all sorts of great stuff. It's great if you're a subscriber, but I can't imagine hooking new people with the current free content.

I want to think the quick look quality thing is more to do with them just having come off of holidays and January being a bit of a wasteland more than anything else. I imagine (and hope) things will pick up soon.

You're right though, as it stands there aren't really any subscriber hooks. Makes me wonder if that means The Raid is closer to or farther from a possibility.

It's pretty clear they're just coasting on the bare minimum amount of work they need to do to retain sub numbers or whatever target CBSi is asking them to achieve. They no longer have a vested interest to make Giantbomb bigger than it currently is because they do not own any stake in it anymore. I wouldn't expect any new shows or video events unless it's something one of them personally wants to do like Spook's Spelunkin.
So clear.

Xanathus

Jeff keeps talking about how he wants to make the site bigger in every other Jar Time and it comes up pretty often on tumblr as well.

Actually Jeff *might* be the only one who still has interest in Giantbomb as it was his child and he may have retained an ownership stake in it as part of the deal with CBSi. Probably Ryan too. However I doubt the others would have gotten that deal.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

The free Friday show was pretty dull, too much Windjammers(such a thing exists), and what was even the last really memorable quick look?

Ashes cricket, barbie dream house and samurai gunn were pretty memorable, and they were all last month, where they had a break. Things are only starting to ramp up this year.

Don't really see where the pessimism is coming from honestly. Free content has been pretty sparse for around 2 years now (as I have talked about before), but they're still growing from the latest updates.

Jintor

you get quality QL ifs you get games suited for quality QLs. Sometimes they just don't come along on a regular basis.

Big Jeffrey says: drop 'em.

Antiwhippy

What pessimism? I just don't think the quick look quality's been that great for a while now.

Like, how do you define a quality quick look? Not saying it in the "everything is subjective dude" kind of way, but just actually curious.

I think the quick look quality has been largely consistent for a long while now, with breakouts like ashes cricket, barbie dreamhouse and samurai gunns being the recent standouts to me, but as Jintor said, you only get those kind of games once in awhile. Generally though they've kept me entertained, even games that look incredibly boring to me like Max and halo spartan assault by providing color commentary along with useful information.

Also I don't mean pessimism in the quality way, more like people thinking that the people at giantbomb has stopped caring about the site and notcaring about making content, which wasn't really directed at you.

Also seriously, we just came from a long break, and we all know that shit all comes out at the beginning of the year. Their content is still largely dictated by how the game industry releases its games. I can see why things might look a little dire at the moment but up until the christmas break I thought everything seemed pretty much normal.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Like Barbie was them playing a bad game, which usually leads to funny, memorable things. and yet, I don't remember a thing about it. Not like the Story Book game or the Autobahn g ames. I completely forgot about it until you mentioned it. And subjective, agian, but I thought Samurai Gunn was the most boring 4 player quick look they ever did. Even the more recent 3d World was a lot more entertaining to me.

There's been a ton of great Bombcast moments, so it's not them. I just think that the free stuff now pretty much feels like the stuff that they have CBX expect them to do to please publishers with coverage and everything else is locked away. So it's just like 'recent game release coverage' the site if you don't have premium - minus stuff like Spelunky, obviously.

Like Barbie was them playing a bad game, which usually leads to funny, memorable things. and yet, I don't remember a thing about it. Not like the Story Book game or the Autobahn g ames. I completely forgot about it until you mentioned it. And subjective, agian, but I thought Samurai Gunn was the most boring 4 player quick look they ever did. Even the more recent 3d World was a lot more entertaining to me.

There's been a ton of great Bombcast moments, so it's not them. I just think that the free stuff now pretty much feels like the stuff that they have CBX expect them to do to please publishers with coverage and everything else is locked away. So it's just like 'recent game release coverage' the site if you don't have premium - minus stuff like Spelunky, obviously.

maybe you grew up

Antiwhippy

Thing is for me that has seemed to be the way things are going even before the CBS buyout. Problem is that it is next to impossible to make a good reason to make something subscriber or free ever since they introduced the change of subscription not being just that stupid whiskey media show.

I've talked about them neglecting the free stuff before, but I don't think it's due to them not bothering and just meeting the status quo, it's just that they also have to justify the subscription. It's a tricky balance to strike because you don't want to alienate the subscribers by making it seem like it's not worth it. So the subscriber stuff has been great, but there's even less free stuff now compared to before.

Weirdly enough patrick is the one who has been giving the most to free users. The worth playing segment, bombin' the AM and now spelunkin' are all pretty fun, free features.

I don't really think that quick look quality dropped either, but that's just me. Seems like their standard coverage really, for quite a number of years now.

Though it's worth noting that last year had some enormous free streams in the extra life stuff and the next gen coverage stuff.

Goldmund

I don't think it's the format or the balancing of content, the core Giant Bomb crew are simply well into their thirties now, their lives don't change much anymore, they don't (have to) explore new ways of thinking or approach things differently much anymore, -- it's where we're all headed. I think people underestimate the effect age has and how incompatible certain absolute age differences are.

I'm guessing that a lot of people who feel the site has gone stale became and remained fans when they entered a very transformative phase in their lives (finishing high school, going to college, getting a degree, applying for your first job etc.); they still want something from the world that's theirs, they experience their world as constantly changing (juxtaposed with which their favorite bands etc. will seem to have lost their edge), -- they don't (yet) just execute their workload, they haven't (yet) arrived (in their field or whatever).

Patryn

I think the problem more is that it's been a very bad period for game releases. This fall felt exceptionally light, and a lot of the games that did come out were underwhelming launch titles. In addition, I wouldn't be surprised if they have a lot heavier workloads behind the scenes which may be impacting things. I also think that we're feeling the loss of Ryan as a passenger in the QL more than we know. He may have not been the best driver of a QL (menus, menus, menus!), but his work as second chair in them was fairly top notch.

We'll see what happens when, hopefully, things pick up in the fall.

Although I will say that I wish on Unprofessional Fridays they'd veer a little more into doing things like Vinny going through Castlevania: Lords of Shadow territory where they take the time to play something that they want to play but haven't had time to do so, and a little less in the "Here's this weird thing I've never played before, let's see how wacky it is!" I don't want them to necessarily cut that out, but when nearly half or more of UPF is doing that, it loses a little something.

Mesoian

You obviously missed the period of time in which he was Giant Bomb's news guy, prior to the hiring of Patrick.

Yup. I know Nicholstone from the old Destructoid podcast, back when it was worth listening to. He was great, but I feel like the few times that he was around Giantbomb, his personality never really came out.

Patryn

Yup. I know Nicholstone from the old Destructoid podcast, back when it was worth listening to. He was great, but I feel like the few times that he was around Giantbomb, his personality never really came out.

I don't think his problem was that his personality didn't come out, I think the problem was that the tone and personality he did show clashed with what the site was at the time. I think he tried to bring something akin to a more snarky Destructoid-esque tone to his articles that just didn't really work.

It also likely didn't help that he was basically a freelancer, was nearly never on the Bombcast and never appeared in any video. I believe Jeff has hinted on his blog that the audience's rejection of Nicholson is part of the reason that they had Patrick doing Quick Looks and the like, as opposed to solely doing news stories.

Of course, now that we have stories written with the classic Alex Navarro dripping sarcasm, I'm curious if Nicholson would have fit in better.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I have exhausted this list (BioForge was awesome) and am looking for more stuff to watch. Starting February 2013, premium included! Keep the recommendations coming guys, thanks.

If you have an interest in Dark Souls and/or Vinny quick looks, Load our Last Souls (10 parts).

Ya'll are overloading me with suggestions. Keep it up!
Simulator/Shitty games Quicklooks are great

This list is a pretty great resource. I recommend Story Hour Adventures, Intel Discovered, and Motion Sports.

That clipping when Vinny yelps is ear piercing. Gah.

For some reason a lot of their content over the summer was super clippy. I went back to some of the FMVinny segments from that time and they had the same thing going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom