• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesoian

I don't think his problem was that his personality didn't come out, I think the problem was that the tone and personality he did show clashed with what the site was at the time. I think he tried to bring something akin to a more snarky Destructoid-esque tone to his articles that just didn't really work.

It also likely didn't help that he was basically a freelancer, was nearly never on the Bombcast and never appeared in any video. I believe Jeff has hinted on his blog that the audience's rejection of Nicholson is part of the reason that they had Patrick doing Quick Looks and the like, as opposed to solely doing news stories.

Of course, now that we have stories written with the classic Alex Navarro dripping sarcasm, I'm curious if Nicholson would have fit in better.

That's a shame. The old Podtoid with Anthony Burch, Aaron Lindee, Brad Nicholson, Jim Sterling, and Sports Sarkar was really an amazing show. Those guys just had so much chemistry together. I guess it makes sense that, individually, you lose a lot of the charm. But Brad's tangents about going to the gym and lifting and the injoke being that Brad was the strongest person in the world really went places. Kind of wish those guys managed to stay together, what they had was special. The moment they all went their separate ways was the moment I stopped going to destructoid.

Kerned

Banned
The heartbreak on Patrick's face is priceless. Sad, but priceless. Leave the spiders be, Scoops.

2590023-spiderwhy.gif

Patryn

That's a shame. The old Podtoid with Anthony Burch, Aaron Lindee, Brad Nicholson, Jim Sterling, and Sports Sarkar was really an amazing show. Those guys just had so much chemistry together. I guess it makes sense that, individually, you lose a lot of the charm. But Brad's tangents about going to the gym and lifting and the injoke being that Brad was the strongest person in the world really went places. Kind of wish those guys managed to stay together, what they had was special. The moment they all went their separate ways was the moment I stopped going to destructoid.

Ironically, as I recall, he continued those tangents about going to the gym and working out to Giant Bomb, which was one of the major criticisms of him. As someone who didn't know about all that stuff, it felt really random and egomaniacal (As I recall, I kept wondering why I should care about the workout schedule of this random guy).

It's pretty clear they're just coasting on the bare minimum amount of work they need to do to retain sub numbers or whatever target CBSi is asking them to achieve. They no longer have a vested interest to make Giantbomb bigger than it currently is because they do not own any stake in it anymore. I wouldn't expect any new shows or video events unless it's something one of them personally wants to do like Spook's Spelunkin.

Finally, an armchair psychologist to diagnose the Giant Bomb crew and tell us all how they really feel.

I don't think his problem was that his personality didn't come out, I think the problem was that the tone and personality he did show clashed with what the site was at the time. I think he tried to bring something akin to a more snarky Destructoid-esque tone to his articles that just didn't really work.

It also likely didn't help that he was basically a freelancer, was nearly never on the Bombcast and never appeared in any video. I believe Jeff has hinted on his blog that the audience's rejection of Nicholson is part of the reason that they had Patrick doing Quick Looks and the like, as opposed to solely doing news stories.

Of course, now that we have stories written with the classic Alex Navarro dripping sarcasm, I'm curious if Nicholson would have fit in better.

The main issue was that he only wrote a handful of news story a week, and usually a days late. They were short blurb articles like you'd see on Destructoid or Joystiq, with no editorial or insightful information, either. At that point, no news is better than what he was producing.

Not necessarily his fault, as that's what he was hired to do, and it was just freelance, but they were pretty pointless articles that were posted pretty late, so I don't really miss his contributions.

Doesn't look like a Souls game to me for some reason, and it can't be the Diablo 3 expansion because they probably wouldn't make a premium show out of a new release.

Kerned

Banned
That definitely looks Souls-esque, but that setting and character do not look familiar. I never finished Demon's Souls, so that could be why. Can anyone confirm 100% that's what it is? I would freak out.

During Extra Life, Brad promised to play 24 hours of Dark Souls. He later confirmed it on tumblr.

Considering Vinny already did that and Patrick is also in the process, I can see him throwing in Demon's Souls instead to mix it up.

Kerned

Banned
Holy shit, I hope we're really getting a Vinny plays Demon's Souls series.

Also, EmCee, reverse image search actually works really well! I'll be damned, I've never tried it.

But that image though. Who is the dude in the background? There were random zombies walking around during that boss fight, and the main boss itself didn't look like that. Or am I just totally remembering it wrong.

derFeef

Demon Souls is cool and all, but I miss the random or oldschool pc game shows - they suffer a bit and could be done instead of one of the DS shows.

Kerned

Banned
But that image though. Who is the dude in the background? There were random zombies walking around during that boss fight, and the main boss itself didn't look like that. Or am I just totally remembering it wrong.

Maybe it's from an early build or something. The book is the same, but the rest of the model is different.

It's possible that the screenshot is from an early version and they just picked a shot from the gallery.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

The dude is the boss, Fools Idol.
You can see one of those zombie guys at the feet of the player.

Speaking of Demons' Souls, in the last LOLS Ian said that because Demons' Souls NG+ skips the tutorial there's an item you can't get because you can't fight the boss again, but doesn't that boss show up again in 4-1? Is it a slightly different version with different drops?

Speaking of Demons' Souls, in the last LOLS Ian said that because Demons' Souls NG+ skips the tutorial there's an item you can't get because you can't fight the boss again, but doesn't that boss show up again in 4-1? Is it a slightly different version with different drops?

According to the Demon's Souls wiki
"After killing Vanguard you get 4 Full Moon Grass, 3 Renowned Soldier's Souls, 3 Shard of Hardstone, and 3 Shard of Sharpstone in addition to a Grey Demon's Soul and a cutscene of you getting a beatdown."

If you kill him in 4-1 you just get the Grey Demon's Soul

LiK

One of the bonuses about Breaking Brad is that they talk about other stuff so it's like a bonus podcast. Some of the conversations are hilarious. I rarely watch them play the games. I just listen to it.

BigAT

According to the Demon's Souls wiki
"After killing Vanguard you get 4 Full Moon Grass, 3 Renowned Soldier's Souls, 3 Shard of Hardstone, and 3 Shard of Sharpstone in addition to a Grey Demon's Soul and a cutscene of you getting a beatdown."

If you kill him in 4-1 you just get the Grey Demon's Soul

It's been a while since I played Demon's Souls, but if I remember correctly none of those drops is anything you can't already get somewhere else in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom