• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1071027-ds_080915_183831.jpg

i think that's Demon's Souls

Looks like Fool's Idol boss fight

yep
ONnwnDC.jpg

OMFG BACK IN LATRIA MOTHERBITCHES YES.

Tucah

you speak so well
I actually hope it's not Demon's Souls. Dark Souls was fun and all but something completely new would be nice.

popo

That would be really mean, but definitely not outside the realm of possibility.

I mean it could just be that they are undecided and someone threw Demons' out as a suggestion, so they used that as an image. As ppl have said, Vinny and rorie have both beat it and I really can't see brad going for it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also seriously patrick, the more developed parts of china are so boring. It's just like any other modern city with just a lot more people. The rural parts and the wilderness are what makes china worth visiting.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is it weird for me to think it was weird that Alex didn't get to go to Ryan's funeral? I'm not on the tweeterz like the rest of GB GAF, so since none of the crew brought it up I just assumed it happened and they moved on with it afterwards.

Is it weird for me to think it was weird that Alex didn't get to go to Ryan's funeral? I'm not on the tweeterz like the rest of GB GAF, so since none of the crew brought it up I just assumed it happened and they moved on with it afterwards.

I don't think anyone talked about it, even on Twitter. Really respectable move on the crew's part, I think.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think anyone talked about it, even on Twitter. Really respectable move on the crew's part, I think.
That's fair, and I'll drop the subject. But I can understand why Alex would feel frustrated at not being able to/allowed to attend.

It's not entirely out of the realm of possibility, since they've already made a Dark Souls cafe!
They make cafes for everything in Japan though. lol Most of them are promotional and last only a few months.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Jeff enduring Demon's Souls with Vinny second chair-ing it would be pretty damn cool. After all of Jeff's talk about his hatred for "animation priority" mechanics and how certain he is that Dark Souls isn't for him, I'm really curious to see how he would actually play either Souls games.

I really doubt that's what that feature is though.

Antiwhippy

One thing I don't understand about jeff's point about animation priority is that he's a huge fighting game fan.

Does he hate mortal kombat because he has to wait for the animation to finish when he misses scorpion's rope spear?

popo

On one hand, Patrick is right that DS difficulty is over rated. On the other, I can't imagine how hard it must have been to beat on the first few weeks of release when the basic knowledge of how systems work was just not out there. Even if Pat isn't looking anything up he will have absorbed an awful lot of that just from second hand chatter.

That's fair, and I'll drop the subject. But I can understand why Alex would feel frustrated at not being able to/allowed to attend.

They make cafes for everything in Japan though. lol Most of them are promotional and last only a few months.

You make it sound like they banned him. Pretty sure he could have booked a flight if he really wanted to.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You make it sound like they banned him. Pretty sure he could have booked a flight if he really wanted to.
Maybe I'm just reading too much into what he said about it on the podcast. The fact that he said he wanted closure for me implies that he wanted to go but couldn't for some reason outside his control.

Kerned

Banned
Maybe I'm just reading too much into what he said about it on the podcast. The fact that he said he wanted closure for me implies that he wanted to go but couldn't for some reason outside his control.

Airfare from New York to SF with very little notice isn't exactly cheap.

OMG Aero

One thing I don't understand about jeff's point about animation priority is that he's a huge fighting game fan.

Does he hate mortal kombat because he has to wait for the animation to finish when he misses scorpion's rope spear?
I'm pretty sure that Jeff's problem isn't about animation priority and that was just a misunderstanding of what that means.
Jeff's thing is that he doesn't like slow attacks. Unless you are using a select class of weapons the majority of your attacks are going to be slow, you can't just run in and hammer on the attack button because an enemy is going to catch you during/after your animation and punish you before you can move again. It's the same thing he mentioned when Patrick got into Monster Hunter and it also lines up with what Jeff has said about fighting games before where he likes to play as fast characters who get up in the other guy's face and just wails on them.

I've never been a subscriber but I might subscribe if Jeff plays Demon Souls. He'd probably feel the exact way I did about that game even though I ultimately enjoyed it.

demidar

As soon as you step in to Dark Soulsland, a guy in armour completely coated in red stabs you in the back, then does a "Y" motion.

sixghost

I've never been a subscriber but I might subscribe if Jeff plays Demon Souls. He'd probably feel the exact way I did about that game even though I ultimately enjoyed it.

I think Jeff would like those games if he ever got past the hump in either Demons or Dark Souls. The game doesn't really play anything like Monster Hunter once you're comfortable with the controls.

FStop7

Banned
I'm not sure why people are wanting to see these guys do things they pretty clearly don't want to do, especially when one of the most frequent complaints about GB is a lack of enthusiasm. I don't want to see Jeff play a Souls game because he's made it pretty clear that he doesn't like them or at least has zero interest in them. I want him to play stuff he is passionate for and interested in, or at least stuff he's passionate for and interested in beyond Windjammers and Divekick.

Oxirane

One piece of Monster Hunter content I would like to see is a video of Jeff (maybe the others as well) trying each weapon type while trying to kill an easy monster.

Or even a 4 player hunt with one competent player and the rest goofing around.

Well that's weird timing. I couldn't sleep last night and decided to get up early this morning and play about nine hours of Demon's Souls. It's still so fucking great! Plenty of ghosts running around and invasions a-plenty! I'm really looking forward to seeing the GB crew play it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Can anyone who's bought a yearly membership lately tell me when in the process you can enter the promo code? Because it's not at the beginning and I don't want to accidentally pay full price. Something incredibly lucky came up and I have $35 I can spare and I want to put it towards GB.

Edit: Bought through the store rather than the "upgrade" process.

It takes a couple hours to activate yea?

Antiwhippy

During last week's Volgarr show Brad mentioned that he heard a rumor about Dark Souls II but then said he couldn't remember if he could repeat it or not.

Wasn't that a rumour that's existed ever since it was announced that miyazaki isn't working on DaS 2?

LackingSaint

Neo Member
I'm not sure why people are wanting to see these guys do things they pretty clearly don't want to do, especially when one of the most frequent complaints about GB is a lack of enthusiasm. I don't want to see Jeff play a Souls game because he's made it pretty clear that he doesn't like them or at least has zero interest in them. I want him to play stuff he is passionate for and interested in, or at least stuff he's passionate for and interested in beyond Windjammers and Divekick.

Yep. The reason that pretty much all of the Endurance Run-style content has been good is because of an enthusiasm for the game being played; Persona 4 is one of Jeff's favourite games at this point, Vinny likes Dark Souls and Brad likes to conquer a difficult game like Volgarr. Also, a proper ER is usually daily content, and you're fucking crazy if you think Jeff would want to play a Souls game every single day until completion.

The most i'm holding out for is Brad playing XCOM: Enemy Within Ironman, with Jeff sitting in.

tm24

So this has been bugging me for a while. How can i watch fullscreen videos in chrome and have that damn playbar disappear?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yep. The reason that pretty much all of the Endurance Run-style content has been good is because of an enthusiasm for the game being played; Persona 4 is one of Jeff's favourite games at this point, Vinny likes Dark Souls and Brad likes to conquer a difficult game like Volgarr. Also, a proper ER is usually daily content, and you're fucking crazy if you think Jeff would want to play a Souls game every single day until completion.

The most i'm holding out for is Brad playing XCOM: Enemy Within Ironman, with Jeff sitting in.

Given that Yakuza 3 was a planned ER until Persona 4 happened, I feel like Jeff should go back and play that game. Since he's a fan of DOA5's Japanese craziness, the game is perfect for him in that sense.

[PREMIUM] ???????????????????????
LIVE SHOW ON JAN 15, 2014 06:30 PM

WHAT COULD IT BE?

It might be Dark Souls 2 related, there are press events for that (and Lightning Returns plus four hours of hands on time with Thief) this week, so they might just be doing a live stream of DS2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom