• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

Nidhogg looks like one of those games like Samurai Gunn that would actually be fun if I had friends to play video games with. But I'll inevitably end up getting and not playing it at all..

It has online matchmaking! Though the net code isn't the best. If you get a match with a good connection it is sooo good.

popo

As I said before, I'd love it if UPF went back to the "I've been playing this game, but haven't had a lot of time, so I'm just going to play it here."

I can kind of understand why they went away from that, though. If you're playing a game that you care about, having to talk while you're playing and being unable to devote 100 percent of your attention on the game can be frustrating.

They got a ton of "Castlevania again !?!?!?!?" and "Why are you playing this again, we already saw a quick look" type comments.

Ok, watching a bit more of the P4 ER and enjoying it more than I had before, though I prefer the pretty girl that wears red to the tomboy one that Jeff and Vinny like. But holy shit. Just getting to the bathhouse part, and this game somehow manages to go about portraying a character being a closeted homosexual with even less tact and subtlety than you'd expect a JRPG to display.

Though the part where the dude comes on the TV naked and flamboyant and Jeff and Vinny just end the episode had me laughing pretty hard.

I
t's not what the makers think gays are, it's what a terrified 15yo japanese boy from the sticks thinks gays are, and what he would be if its true he is, plus mortified of being a laughingstock for that by others who think that.

Perhaps too subtly, rather...

Could someone explain to me why Demon's Souls 2 is a thing that people want?
I've played Dark Souls to completion several times and put a few hours into Demon's Souls and I really don't understand why people specifically want a sequel to Demon's Souls.
Dark Souls is a sequel to Demon's Souls in all but name, it's a mechanically better game and plays much better. If people like the enemies or locations better in Demon's Souls then I can understand that, but it's not like a Demon's Souls 2 would mean a return to those since Dark Souls 2 seems to be set in a completely different area.

Is it just a case of people thinking "Dark Souls ruined the series! I want it be like Demon's Souls again!" or is there something in Demon's Souls that people want more of that would never be in a Dark Souls game?

MORE SOULS GAMES.

MORE SOULS GAMES!

MORE! BRING ME MORE!!!

FStop7

Banned
How come I feel like Max will be rich enough to buy Giant Bomb someday?

Temkin or Caravella?

I like the idea of GB in the employ of a wealthy toddler.

"Sooo, boss... we need to plan out our subscriber content for the next few mo--"

"TRUCKS."

"I know, trucks. Right. But that's all we've done for the past year. What ab--"

"TRUCKS."

LackingSaint

Neo Member
Listening to the old 2008 GOTY podcast. They all sounded so enthusiastic about their top 10, much more compared to 2013.

They were doing a Top Ten List on the podcast in 2008? I could've sworn they were doing that dumb "Awards by platform, with best overall game being one winner with two runners-up" set-up until a few years ago.

hamchan

They were doing a Top Ten List on the podcast in 2008? I could've sworn they were doing that dumb "Awards by platform, with best overall game being one winner with two runners-up" set-up until a few years ago.

2008 was pretty much one 3 hour GOTY podcast, where they just went through the top 10 and explained why they were all awesome and deserved to be on the list. Then the last hour was a GTA4 vs MGS4 argument.

Jeff says GTA4's story made him cry.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
2008 was pretty much one 3 hour GOTY podcast, where they just went through the top 10 and explained why they were all awesome and deserved to be on the list. Then the last hour was a GTA4 vs MGS4 argument.

Oh yeah, I remember now. Man, it's a damn shame GTA5's satire became so overpowering that the cartoonish villains overshadowed all of the actually interesting character development and relationships, because I really think that could have gone somewhere.

QP3

Hey all, I have been away for a few months without internet or anything. I will try to catch up on all the episodes that missed, but any in particular that were exciting or memorable? Thanks!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I played through the game recently (late last year) and nearly teared up at the
wedding
. You could see it coming from a mile away but when you get invested in characters it's still emotionally affecting.

Wasn't it a very specific part of the GTAIV that made jeff cry, a Stranger mission? Looking through, maybe it was Marnie Allen?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Vinny's coward style is the best style.
Coward? He went in HARD. I have never seen the game played that way, I wonder how you are supposed to counter all the jumping and rolling.

I havn't watched any video feature that's just patrick. It's probably the same reason I don't watch DOTA, since its just brad. Matt and Pasquale aren't enough :p
He played with Max Temkin and Adam today, it was great.

I
t's not what the makers think gays are, it's what a terrified 15yo japanese boy from the sticks thinks gays are, and what he would be if its true he is, plus mortified of being a laughingstock for that by others who think that.

Perhaps too subtly, rather...

I think Persona 4's characters are fantastic, but I always thought it was a little weird that (full P4 spoilers)
by the end of the game the gay character isn't actually gay and the transgender character isn't actually transgender
. I guess that's how it goes sometimes in high school though. I've always been impressed by how maturely the Persona games handle the more serious parts of the game.

Wasn't it a very specific part of the GTAIV that made jeff cry, a Stranger mission? Looking through, maybe it was Marnie Allen?

I recall him saying that parts of GTAIV were uncomfortably similar to the experiences of people he knew in real life, specifically in relation to drugs I think.

OMG Aero

I think Persona 4's characters are fantastic, but I always thought it was a little weird that (full P4 spoilers)
by the end of the game the gay character isn't actually gay and the transgender character isn't actually transgender
. I guess that's how it goes sometimes in high school though. I've always been impressed by how maturely the Persona games handle the more serious parts of the game.
The whole point of
Kanji and Naoto's storylines is that they aren't gay or transgender, they just wanted to be accepted. Kanji outright says that during his social link.

Kyari

The whole point of
Kanji and Naoto's storylines is that they aren't gay or transgender, they just wanted to be accepted. Kanji outright says that during his social link.

Exactly this. Naoto's story is specifically about overcoming the gender roles placed upon her by soiety, a much larger problem in Japan than the west.

It's healthier in both respects that they come to accept themselves rather than continuing a facade because of societal pressures.

As a sort of related aside (story spoilers for P4):
The movie Victor Victoria came to mind a lot as the story unfolded between Kanji and Naoto.

Tucah

you speak so well
From Jeff's tumblr:
Anonymous asked:What is the Premium '???????' content tomorrow? Is it a secret? You remember we promised each other not have secrets anymore, right?
No idea. Brad wouldn’t say.

So Brad's playing Demon's Souls?

From Jeff's tumblr:
Anonymous asked:What is the Premium '???????' content tomorrow? Is it a secret? You remember we promised each other not have secrets anymore, right?
No idea. Brad wouldn’t say.

So Brad's playing Demon's Souls?

Wasnt that the thing he promised on that charity stream?

Would suck if it was premium then. Maybe he is going all in on Souls and doing a Demons Souls run before doing a 24 hour Dark Souls stream?

Brad promised a Souls stream, so why does it say ??????????? instead of "Hey I'm doing this now"?

That's right, because it's gonna be an Endurance Run.

If Brad does follow through on a Dark Souls stream he should do Dark Souls 2 on release day just so there are fewer tips from the chat and fewer discovered exploits.

Dark Souls without a guide seems like fun nightmare.

OMG Aero

If Brad does follow through on a Dark Souls stream he should do Dark Souls 2 on release day just so there are fewer tips from the chat and fewer discovered exploits.

Dark Souls without a guide seems like fun nightmare.
The thing with that is no-one would be able to watch it because no-one would want to spoil Dark Souls 2 for themselves.
And if you don't want to play Dark Souls 2 but care enough to watch someone else play it what is wrong with you.

inky

"Nobody is going to believe that I beat you like 5 times before this quick-look started"

- Brad Shoemaker

You are right Brad. So right. Nidhogg looks fun as hell.

Manbig

The thing with that is no-one would be able to watch it because no-one would want to spoil Dark Souls 2 for themselves.
And if you don't want to play Dark Souls 2 but care enough to watch someone else play it what is wrong with you.

There's actually a lot of people like that and there's nothing wrong with it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Does their video player not hide the mouse cursor? That seems crazy, I've had to push my mouse off to the side when I watch stuff. That's like such a standard feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom