• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjim89

Ok, watching a bit more of the P4 ER and enjoying it more than I had before, though I prefer the pretty girl that wears red to the tomboy one that Jeff and Vinny like. But holy shit. Just getting to the bathhouse part, and this game somehow manages to go about portraying a character being a closeted homosexual with even less tact and subtlety than you'd expect a JRPG to display.

Though the part where the dude comes on the TV naked and flamboyant and Jeff and Vinny just end the episode had me laughing pretty hard.

Yep. The reason that pretty much all of the Endurance Run-style content has been good is because of an enthusiasm for the game being played; Persona 4 is one of Jeff's favourite games at this point, Vinny likes Dark Souls and Brad likes to conquer a difficult game like Volgarr. Also, a proper ER is usually daily content, and you're fucking crazy if you think Jeff would want to play a Souls game every single day until completion.

The most i'm holding out for is Brad playing XCOM: Enemy Within Ironman, with Jeff sitting in.

To be fair, Persona 4 is the kind of game you'd expect Jeff to hate, and the reason it was "the Endurance Run" to start with was because neither Jeff or Vinny would ever play some 100 hour anime nerd game off camera and there was an expectation that they would give up if they got bored or stuck. It wasn't until several hours in that Jeff goes from being a bit interested sounding but somewhat annoyed to audibly digging the crap out of the game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It might be Dark Souls 2 related, there are press events for that (and Lightning Returns plus four hours of hands on time with Thief) this week, so they might just be doing a live stream of DS2.

Doubt Namco would be ok with that being locked behind a paywall

Odrion

Banned
To be fair, Persona 4 is the kind of game you'd expect Jeff to hate, and the reason it was "the Endurance Run" to start with was because neither Jeff or Vinny would ever play some 100 anime nerd game off camera and there was an expectation that they would give up if they got bored or stuck. It wasn't until several hours in that Jeff goes from being a bit interested sounding but somewhat annoyed to audibly digging the crap out of the game.
It was a bummer that Jeff and Vinny didn't do Yakuza 3 after almost considering it. That really did seem to have a lot of the same ingredients for a quality ER.

Jintor

Ok, watching a bit more of the P4 ER and enjoying it more than I had before, though I prefer the pretty girl that wears red to the tomboy one that Jeff and Vinny like. But holy shit. Just getting to the bathhouse part, and this game somehow manages to go about portraying a character being a closeted homosexual with even less tact and subtlety than you'd expect a JRPG to display.

Though the part where the dude comes on the TV naked and flamboyant and Jeff and Vinny just end the episode had me laughing pretty hard.

Dude, it's a place where all your repressed fears turns up as an exaggerated archetype that embodies stuff you deny even to yourself. There's a bad bad bathhouse in us all!

IaN_GAF

Do forgive me if I am mistaken as I tend to watch things like Load or Last Souls whilst doing something else, but didn't Jeff just randomly walk in on the last episode when Vinny was basically done with the game?

The first thing that sprung to mind was: is this some sort of teaser or something? This was before I even saw the "?????" thingy.

Mind you, I could be very much mistaken in which case you should all completely disregard this (coincidentally first) post on NeoGAF.

Do forgive me if I am mistaken as I tend to watch things like Load or Last Souls whilst doing something else, but didn't Jeff just randomly walk in on the last episode when Vinny was basically done with the game?

The first thing that sprung to mind was: is this some sort of teaser or something? This was before I even saw the "?????" thingy.

Mind you, I could be very much mistaken in which case you should all completely disregard this (coincidentally first) post on NeoGAF.

Welcome, stranger

hamchan

So okay, it's a Demony thing.

That they want to keep a secret.

Hmmm....

Breaking Brad: Demon's Souls Edition?

Probably.

He did promise to do a 24 hour stream of Dark Souls during the charity event last year.

Changing that to an ongoing Demon Soul's run is probably better for the site.

Brashnir

Probably.

He did promise to do a 24 hour stream of Dark Souls during the charity event last year.

Changing that to an ongoing Demon Soul's run is probably better for the site.

That might be the case, but I suspect it's probably just Vinny loading up his save in the game and continuing on from wherever he was in it.

That might be the case, but I suspect it's probably just Vinny loading up his save in the game and continuing on from wherever he was in it.

Vinny beat Demon's Souls.

I see no reason to believe that video is going to be anything other than Brad playing Demon's Souls. The question is whether he commits to finishing it.

OMG Aero

Demon's Souls 2 has been pretty much confirmed by our insiders here, with Miyazaki directing.
Could someone explain to me why Demon's Souls 2 is a thing that people want?
I've played Dark Souls to completion several times and put a few hours into Demon's Souls and I really don't understand why people specifically want a sequel to Demon's Souls.
Dark Souls is a sequel to Demon's Souls in all but name, it's a mechanically better game and plays much better. If people like the enemies or locations better in Demon's Souls then I can understand that, but it's not like a Demon's Souls 2 would mean a return to those since Dark Souls 2 seems to be set in a completely different area.

Is it just a case of people thinking "Dark Souls ruined the series! I want it be like Demon's Souls again!" or is there something in Demon's Souls that people want more of that would never be in a Dark Souls game?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Some people like the hub world better compared to the more open dark souls.

I like dark souls' structure better myself, but I can see why some people might not like it.

Dark souls is easier to pick up and play since you don't need to remember paths between locations and it has more a a traditional level based structure. Dark Souls is basically the best sequel ever. Meaningful changes with the same core concepts.

I've played Dark Souls to completion several times and put a few hours into Demon's Souls and I really don't understand why people specifically want a sequel to Demon's Souls.
Dark Souls is a sequel to Demon's Souls in all but name, it's a mechanically better game and plays much better. If people like the enemies or locations better in Demon's Souls then I can understand that, but it's not like a Demon's Souls 2 would mean a return to those since Dark Souls 2 seems to be set in a completely different area.

Is it just a case of people thinking "Dark Souls ruined the series! I want it be like Demon's Souls again!" or is there something in Demon's Souls that people want more of that would never be in a Dark Souls game?

I don't know that anyone wants Demon's Souls 2 because they think Dark Souls was a bad direction. And the mechanics of Demon's Souls 2 could be easily adjusted to take what was learned from Dark Souls and improved upon.

Personally, I'd like a Demon's Souls 2 because there was more exploration to be done in that universe. It was more of a horror game than Dark Souls.

Demon's Souls was a great exclusive game for PS3, Demon's Souls 2 could be a great exclusive for PS4. Something where you could say, yeah, this is a good reason to own that console.

Above all though, I want a next gen Souls game. I was horribly disappointed that Dark Souls 2 was not going to be on PS4. It could be ported, sure. The textures and resolution being better would be okay. I want a more complex game with smarter AI, more expansive, awe inspiring architecture and open spaces, better lighting and shadows, ect. Things they could only do with a better baseline to start with.

Wereroku

Some people like the hub world better compared to the more open dark souls.

I like dark souls' structure better myself, but I can see why some people might not like it.

This is the main thing for me but I also like the story and setting more. Also some of the DS changes were not the best IMO.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

You should finish it.

The games are similar, but I can't get enough of either. Next gen Souls game from the OG would be great.

popo

I think people want Demons' 2 because it is more content of the same type, a type that they like. I don't think many want it instead of dark souls 2, they want it as well as.. Like with people playing DS multiple times because it is 2-3 years between games.

Tan

He also said something along the lines of 'maybe I should play it some time' or something.

Curufinwe

To be fair, Persona 4 is the kind of game you'd expect Jeff to hate, and the reason it was "the Endurance Run" to start with was because neither Jeff or Vinny would ever play some 100 hour anime nerd game off camera and there was an expectation that they would give up if they got bored or stuck. It wasn't until several hours in that Jeff goes from being a bit interested sounding but somewhat annoyed to audibly digging the crap out of the game.

The Funky Student moment.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nidhogg quick look is about what I expected.

Also lol at brad near the beginning. It's like the guy who complained about throwing in street fighter.

Darklord

Banned
because neither Jeff or Vinny would ever play some 100 hour anime nerd game off camera and there was an expectation that they would give up if they got bored or stuck.

Actually both owned it. They just didn't have the time to play it so they did the endurance run. That idea of playing games then turned into UPF later and then it got kinda lost in there too.

IaN_GAF

Welcome, stranger

Thank you, kind sir.

He also said something along the lines of 'maybe I should play it some time' or something.

Right? Thank a deity of your choice, I am not insane. I don't know if Jeff playing Demon's Souls would be the worst/best thing ever, I just know that I thought it sounded "forced" as if it was meant to convey some sort of message.

While on the subject of possible new content, one thing I would really like to see is a, perhaps weekly, feature of Jeff going through his favourites in his collection. I feel like I could listen to him talking about "old" games for hours on end and have the sneaking suspicion that he owns quite a few awesome gems.
I also wouldn't mind a repeating feature in which the duders take each other on in competitive multiplayer games with actual leaderboards and such. I do believe Thursday Night Throwdown was kinda like that?

Xater

I think people want Demons' 2 because it is more content of the same type, a type that they like. I don't think many want it instead of dark souls 2, they want it as well as.. Like with people playing DS multiple times because it is 2-3 years between games.

I just want Demon's Souls 2 because it would probably be on my PS4. I'll have to skip Dark Souls 2 because I have nothing to play it on.

Patryn

Actually both owned it. They just didn't have the time to play it so they did the endurance run. That idea of playing games then turned into UPF later and then it got kinda lost in there too.

As I said before, I'd love it if UPF went back to the "I've been playing this game, but haven't had a lot of time, so I'm just going to play it here."

I can kind of understand why they went away from that, though. If you're playing a game that you care about, having to talk while you're playing and being unable to devote 100 percent of your attention on the game can be frustrating.

OMG Aero

I'm waiting for O&S and Tomb of the Giants. Shame Vinny already beat O&S before LOLS. Can't wait for Tricky to hit that wall.
If you aren't already, you should watch Jeff Green's streams. He recently got to Anor Londo and going by how he's played so far Ornstein and Smough are going to be really rough for him.

While on the subject of possible new content, one thing I would really like to see is a, perhaps weekly, feature of Jeff going through his favourites in his collection. I feel like I could listen to him talking about "old" games for hours on end and have the sneaking suspicion that he owns quite a few awesome gems.

You mean like if Jeff was able to accomplish his Quick Look everything idea that morphed into Encyclopedia Bombastica?

LiK

If you aren't already, you should watch Jeff Green's streams. He recently got to Anor Londo and going by how he's played so far Ornstein and Smough are going to be really rough for him.

Yea, I was in chat during his first show. Watched some of the rest. The Havel ambush was the best.

As I said before, I'd love it if UPF went back to the "I've been playing this game, but haven't had a lot of time, so I'm just going to play it here."

I can kind of understand why they went away from that, though. If you're playing a game that you care about, having to talk while you're playing and being unable to devote 100 percent of your attention on the game can be frustrating.

I don't think having to talk was the issue there. The format had to change because the show is only 2 hours long. Divide that time with everyone on the team. If there's a game you really want to play, making 20 minutes of progress in it per week doesn't seem especially worthwhile.

justjim89

Nidhogg looks like one of those games like Samurai Gunn that would actually be fun if I had friends to play video games with. But I'll inevitably end up getting and not playing it at all..

Dany

Banned
I havn't watched any video feature that's just patrick. It's probably the same reason I don't watch DOTA, since its just brad. Matt and Pasquale aren't enough :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom