• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Well, the way jeff plays can be really frustrating for a viewer as well.

his constant commentary though is amazing. I'm now listening to 2006 GFWL Radio

At first I was sort of cursing flake83 for invading and decimating Patrick, figuring him to be a typical stream troll. I realize now, however, that he's a supervillain, ever-present and looming, like the end-boss who shows up at various points in the game who you aren't supposed to beat until the end. It's really fantastic, kudos flake83.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
At first I was sort of cursing flake83 for invading and decimating Patrick, figuring him to be a typical stream troll. I realize now, however, that he's a supervillain, ever-present and looming, like the end-boss who shows up at various points in the game who you aren't supposed to beat until the end. It's really fantastic, kudos flake83.

At the end, Patrick, having accumulated all the knowledge he had throughout the game, will defeat flake83, and flake will fade away, with a smile and a wink.

trw

Oh my god, a PC version of viva pinata?
How is it performance and bugwise? It can't be a good port, that's for sure, but if it's playable enough...

They didn't even bother program in mouse input so the mouse controls like an analog stick making just moving the cursor a pain in the ass. So even though it's technically playable I wouldn't recommend it.

At the end, Patrick, having accumulated all the knowledge he had throughout the game, will defeat flake83, and flake will fade away, with a smile and a wink.

So you're saying, flake is really the Zoom to Patrick's Flash?

Comic Vine said:
Former FBI profiler and once close ally to the Flash, Hunter Zolomon believes that to make Wally West a greater hero he must test him by being his greatest villain.

729806-zoom011.jpg

Brashnir

I find the path of least resistance is generally not the most rewarding way to play a game.

I use screwdrivers to turn screws, hammers to hammer nails, and wrenches to turn nuts. When a tool presents itself as the best one for the job, that's the tool I use.

Finishing up that Demon's Souls BB. So far it's been the worst one. Vinny is giving way too much advice and strong hints. And the game just isn't that hard. I don't see Brad ever "breaking" in the same way he did with the other BBs, and that was the whole point.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I think 1-1 and his magic wand will actually set him up for some surprises in later levels and worlds. I can't wait to see him take on the Tower of Latria.

However, he's also not a complete noob to the Souls games, like everyone else was when they first played Demons', so he'll always be a step ahead of how we might expect him to fare.

Kelas

I've only watched Pat's stream a couple of times, but he only ever seems to go human to kindle. The fact that he often stays alive for so long, and gets through areas fairly quickly (and on to new bonfires to kindle), leads to him overall being human for a larger percentage of game time.

The dude that keeps invading him is weird. It's hardly funny, and it tends to happen so soon after turning human that it's hardly that annoying either; it's just weird that this one guy takes the time to follow him around. Would have been interesting to see a normal spread of invaders coming into his game over the course of a playthrough.

ArjanN

I use screwdrivers to turn screws, hammers to hammer nails, and wrenches to turn nuts. When a tool presents itself as the best one for the job, that's the tool I use.

That's a great analogy if you think of gaming as a chore.
The most efficient way to play a game is often cheesy and boring and leads you to miss content, or not experience the game to it's fullest.

To be fair I think Patrick was doing fine for the first time playing.
It was mostly Vinny trying to break the game, and I'm sure he was doing that because he feels he has to be entertaining on the stream.

Brashnir

The most efficient way to play a game is often cheesy and boring and leads you to miss content, or not experience the game to it's fullest.

To be fair I think Patrick was doing fine for the first time playing.
It was mostly Vinny trying to break the game, and I'm sure he was doing that because he feels he has to be entertaining on the stream.

I don't think of games as a chore. I see them as a set of tools and obstacles laid out to reach an objective. If I find a tool that presents an efficient way to pass an obstacle, I'm going to use it. If I'm not supposed to use it, the designer shouldn't have given me that tool to begin with.

I don't think of games as a chore. I see them as a set of tools and obstacles laid out to reach an objective. If I find a tool that presents an efficient way to pass an obstacle, I'm going to use it. If I'm not supposed to use it, the designer shouldn't have given me that tool to begin with.
Dark Souls is an interesting case for this argument, due to how little the game itself tells the player and how much knowledge of the game increases easiness. The game doesn't tell the player which tools are the most efficient, and discovering that for yourself seems to be a big element of the game. It isn't easy to find & test all the tools and therefore, without prior knowledge, you may be forced to make due with worse than optimal. It's a game where the more you learn, the easier it gets, but its also very difficult to learn stuff in the first place. However it's also very easy to listen to someone tell you which tools are most efficient and then follow that path.

The game is definitely designed not to be as blatantly obvious as "use water attacks on fire monsters" as a lot of other games are, so it depends on how much you value discovering that for yourself or making your own, probably more difficult, path without perfect knowledge vs doing whatever the internet says is easiest in order to make the game less challenging. It's a weird balance that not many games create, and I can see why people who prefer either side or somewhere inbetween.

I just now figured out Patrick has been uploading the Dark Souls videos to youtube. I've been having a horrific experience trying to watch his stuff on twitch. Finally I can watch his run in more than 30 seconds chunks.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

So you are saying: Gaming is no chore, but you should try to make it one?
Cause making a game artificially harder and playing a way I don't want to play sure sounds like a chore to me.

KarmaCow

Being able to get through Dark Souls by brute force tanking your way through everything From Software's problem, not the player's fault.

Though I wont lie, it is disappointing to see people play that way. It's like using the cape in SMW to fly over all the levels.

HawkeyeFIN

Neo Member
I just now figured out Patrick has been uploading the Dark Souls videos to youtube. I've been having a horrific experience trying to watch his stuff on twitch. Finally I can watch his run in more than 30 seconds chunks.

Oh shit, thanks for the heads up! Now I'll just need to make a sandwich and start watching.

Doopliss

I was a bit disappointed to hear Patrick write off the Crystal Caves as devoid of any positives when there were really just a few small factors that led him to having a bad time. Those being the slippery collision on the path forward which caused him to instantly disregard it as a dead end, the presence of an inexplicable 2 foot invisible ledge to nowhere, and that crystal whose orientation makes it not at all obvious that one face is perfectly safe to walk on and the other an instant slide to death.

I thought that area was visually really cool and distinct from the anything else in the game, and I liked that you had to approach it with patience despite being in a wide open space without the threat of enemy attack.

Catching up on "Dr" Luigi QL. Now I normally love me some Brad baiting but anyone else get a bit uncomfortable at Jeff's back seat heckling? He sounded so sincere and it isn't like Vinny was playing any better.
I thought the gentle ribbing was hilarious.

what are you watching it through? the youtube versions look about the same as I remember.
The youtube versions have always looked terrible, since 360p videos get recompressed at a minuscule bitrate.

Duriii

So, I recently bought Premium membership for giantbomb.com and obviously started watching paid content. And I have a question - Is there a different site that hosts older TNT's other than Ustream? Earliest TNT on giantbomb.com is from 02/10/11, but there are like 30 older ones on qlcrew.com (http://qlcrew.com/?vid_type=tnt&anyone=anyone&inc[0]=&exc[0]=&p=10&per_page=15) that are not available on the main site. There are some Twitch ones, which seem fine, and most of those are Ustream ones, which have some awful bitrates, that makes them literally unwatchable...

Is it even worth watching them, or should I just skip to those available on the main site?

So, I recently bought Premium membership for giantbomb.com and obviously started watching paid content. And I have a question - Is there a different site that hosts older TNT's other than Ustream? Earliest TNT on giantbomb.com is from 02/10/11, but there are like 30 older ones on qlcrew.com (http://qlcrew.com/?vid_type=tnt&anyone=anyone&inc[0]=&exc[0]=&p=10&per_page=15) that are not available on the main site. There are some Twitch ones, which seem fine, and most of those are Ustream ones, which have some awful bitrates, that makes them literally unwatchable...

Is it even worth watching them, or should I just skip to those available on the main site?

The early TNTs were done out of the OG Sausalito basement, where there streaming setup was janky at best (I remember the herculean efforts it took to do the Matrix Online finale stream). So yeah, the bitrates were real, real rough. There's nothing very memorable about those early episodes anyway, I wouldn't worry about skipping them.

Kelas

Have you watched all the other old premium stuff like Random PC game and LOLS? All the UPFs since January? I would really only look for old TNTs if I was really desperate for content. Aside from a few great ones, most of them were not particularly good at the time; watching them now would be even less entertaining.

hamchan

Started watching Patrick's Dark Souls run and him beating the Capra Demon in one go is pretty great. He even got surprised at the beginning like everyone else who does the battle.

ArjanN

Being able to get through Dark Souls by brute force tanking your way through everything From Software's problem, not the player's fault.

Though I wont lie, it is disappointing to see people play that way. It's like using the cape in SMW to fly over all the levels.

I don't think it's problem per se, they just made that a possibility for people who are bad at games, so even they could beat the game eventually.

So you are saying: Gaming is no chore, but you should try to make it one?
Cause making a game artificially harder and playing a way I don't want to play sure sounds like a chore to me.

No, I'm saying that in challenge based games, not cheesing the game is ultimately more fun and rewarding.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
No, I'm saying that in challenge based games, not cheesing the game is ultimately more fun and rewarding.

How exactly are they cheesing the game again? I don't watch Patrick's playthrough but I don't remember Vinny doing anything cheesy (?) besides the one time when he let other people kill a boss for him...
Cheesing the game, at least for me, would be exploiting a glitch or an AI routine (like sniping them with the bow outside of their agro range), not wearing heavy armor and double handing a weapon...

I don't think it's problem per se, they just made that a possibility for people who are bad at games, so even they could beat the game eventually.

Oh wow. Don't even bother responding to me. This is probably the stupidest thing I read all day

I'm thinking of getting Dark Souls at some point and I feel I would enjoy it more if people told me the easiest way for me to not die and be less frustrated with it. That's how I got through Demon's Souls, just used the soul ray or whatever it's called throughout the entire game and thankfully was never invaded. I don't see the problem and I don't get this "you have to play it a certain way" attitude.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So.... has anyone else just completely fallen off the Bombin' in the AM train?

Havent listened in weeks.

Nah I still listen to it all the time, I wish they could have a way to get the audio up ASAP though. I don't really have any interest in it as a video feature and lots of times I end up just playing the video on my phone just to listen to the audio which kills the battery life. I wish they would prioritize the audio version and get it up like 15 minutes after the live stream ends.

Aaron

Those two guys actually play games so no. I do skip the ones with guests though.
Yeah, I don't want to admit it, but I don't find the guest ones compelling, but the core cast is great. Alex's Singapore story tops anything on a recent bombcast.

I got the impression Alex meant that the GB guys weren't invited to attend.
It sounded more like it was a point of contention with his girlfriend, and probably that the funeral was arranged too quick to get an easy flight out.

paul187

I haven't seen either of them play Dark Souls, but I agree with this philosophy. Playing a hard game and cheesing it to win kinda defeats the point. If you're just playing the game to get to the end you kinda cheat yourself out of playing the game the way it was intended. Your time would be better spent playing something you enjoy. Though, for some, cheesing a game is what they get their enjoyment from. So to each there own.

I don't know about this. An example I'll give is I just finished Rondo of Blood the whole way through with Richter. Who is a very stiff controlling character. He is designed to be unforgiving. Maria a secret character who can be unlocked by stage 2 plays so much better than Richter. She has double jumps, rolls, and her attacks can be spammed. She is overall much better suited for the player. She isn't rewarding however, since you can cheese the whole game with her. Taking away from the challenge which is a major part of the game. She is the best tool for the job, but Richter is the character the game was designed for. He is the more rewarding character to play and I got a ton of satisfaction from playing as him.

What I'm really saying is Rondo of Blood should be the next Breaking Brad game.

Brashnir

Patrick has been human for like 20 minutes and Flake hasn't shown up. Kinda surprised, since I figured Flake would have the day off Junior High today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom