• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done Patrick, though I keep trying to let him know about the last 3 parts of the Souls moveset but chat is too crazy for him to notice. If you happen to read this tricky, you can attack while sprinting, rolling and back stepping for different attack animations

Glad that Patrick, Vinny and Brad are all playing Dark/Demon's Souls AND bringing up this issue of there being some mythical "proper" way to play. All three are just using the tools the game provides for them, there isn't anything "wrong" with how they play.

Some of you brought up how this is a "challenge based game" and someone cheating themselves out of the experience if they "cheese" it. But that's assuming they aren't enjoying themselves with the way they play and putting too much value in the way you played the game and your own personal experience. In my opinion, the beauty of a game like Demon's/Dark Souls ISN'T how hard you can make the game for yourself, but how you can beat it and experience it in so many ways, all of them perfectly valid and doable if you put in the time and effort.

The train of thought that one should look down on players who make use of tactics the game allows (without the use of hacking) has always bothered me. It's like "no throws" house rules in fighting games. It's fine if you and your buddies abide by it, but don't start dictating how others play their games. It just seems silly and arbitrary.

Brashnir

Glad that Patrick, Vinny and Brad are all playing Dark/Demon's Souls AND bringing up this issue of there being some mythical "proper" way to play. All three are just using the tools the game provides for them, there isn't anything "wrong" with how they play.

Some of you brought up how this is a "challenge based game" and someone cheating themselves out of the experience if they "cheese" it. But that's assuming they aren't enjoying themselves with the way they play and putting too much value in the way you played the game and your own personal experience. In my opinion, the beauty of a game like Demon's/Dark Souls ISN'T how hard you can make the game for yourself, but how you can beat it and experience it in so many ways, all of them perfectly valid and doable if you put in the time and effort.

The train of thought that one should look down on players who make use of tactics the game allows (without the use of hacking) has always bothered me. It's like "no throws" house rules in fighting games. It's fine if you and your buddies abide by it, but don't start dictating how others play their games. It just seems silly and arbitrary.

It's certainly opened my eyes to one of the shittest groups of people I've encountered on the internet, that's for sure.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Also saying the way they are playing is "cheesing" it kinda implies that they read up on it and don't just naturally gravitate towards what works for them.

Very well said. It always amazes me how many people get so pissed off at this type of stuff.

chogidogs

Patrick is streaming on his own time so I guess I can't complain. But he's basically playing Vinny style without the quirks and the banter of a crew. Still enjoying it though, I might stick around til he beats it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's not as though I am blaming the players, it's just unfortunate that a game like Dark Souls lets players ignore so many of the mechanics of both the larger systems and the intricacies of specific fights through stacking heavily into poise.

I don't really care how people get through the game, but watching the streams makes me a little sad that Dark Souls is so enabling to players sloppy mechanics by use of brute force.

It's not as though I am blaming the players, it's just unfortunate that a game like Dark Souls lets players ignore so many of the mechanics of both the larger systems and the intricacies of specific fights through stacking heavily into poise.

I don't really care how people get through the game, but watching the streams makes me a little sad that Dark Souls is so enabling to players sloppy mechanics by use of brute force.
So what's a more interesting way to play it, out of curiosity?

I find the path of least resistance is generally not the most rewarding way to play a game.

Realizing the possibility, testing the math, testing under game logic, judging yoru capability of wielding it skillfully, hunting the necessary components, and mastering it isn't.

Only in games where the above doesn't exist isn't rewarding.

Patryn

How are they sloppy mechanics?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If you don't dodge or parry every attack clearly you're doing something wrong.

Fuck it, I liked tanking in dark souls. I also liked being a magician in demon's souls. I've also played other "satisfying" classes, like my demon great machete with no shield build, but I loved tanking in dark souls. So much fun to just take attacks and smash them right through it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I think that's more often referred to as "depth."

CommonProtocol

Neo Member
Dark Souls is a hard game, I was just glad to beat it all on my first run through and it wasn't until subsequent runs that I started experimenting with some of the more fun ways to play it.
So long as the crew is playing through what I believe to be one of the more important games of the last few years I'm happy, full stop.
I was worried when Vinny stopped playing it halfway through that the game would sort of fall by the wayside for them, but instead I've been delighted to see new content on it.

What is it with Brad and ignoring giant arrows pointing you in the direction you have to go? Watching him play Nuts and Bolts on an old UP and it's just insane.

WilyRook

here's that thing that happened

ir4HgXtOz5HjH.gif

Requeim

Why is it so special to be able to say "i beat dark souls"? If i had to guess it would be because of the (massively overstated) difficulty, the game is commonly presented as a rite of passage of sorts, it seems.

I sure as fuck wasn't celebrating when either of the souls games were over for me, if anything i was sad that there wasn't more. I guess people come to this series for different reasons, gameplay vs. accomplishment?

This probably ties into the other discussion (where people talk about playing in a "correct" way vs. brute forcing however possible)

mintyice

I agree total. Vinny and Patrick basically played the game the same way by just tanking everything. Granted, I did the same thing the first time I played it, but on subsequent replays I started to use light armor and dodge all attacks instead of brute forcing my way through it.

It's just disappointing because you only get to experience Dark Souls fresh once, the first time you play it, and Dark Souls is a game where it is so much more about the journey than the destination. It's frustrating when people try to bum rush their way to the end and put beating it above everything else. It's like taking an interstate versus back roads. Sure, the interstate will get you there quicker, but that drive sure is boring.

I wish I could go back and play Dark Souls without playing it before but actually dodge and wear light armor instead of just tanking my way through it to get to the end. It's so much more rewarding that way. I know there is no 'right' way to play it, and I'm not going to give someone shit for tanking their way through it, but it's probably the least gratifying in the end. Like yeah, you beat it, but you missed out on actually getting good at the mechanics and I guarantee dodging/light armor is ultimately more gratifying than tanking everything.

But no, Patrick/Vinny wasn't "playing it wrong", and I did the same thing, but in the end I wish I didn't.

That's a testament to how strong the game is that it rewards so many different styles of play.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
That's a testament to how strong the game is that it rewards so many different styles of play.
Being able to ignore mechanics and completely pass over many of the visual cues and tells of the bosses is not a testament to the strength of the game.

There is no wrong way to play the game. If it's in there it's legit. But I feel you miss out on some of the challenge or nuance with brute force.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Being able to ignore mechanics and completely pass over many of the visual cues and tells of the bosses is not a testament to the strength of the game.

Yes it is. It's not like tanking it is necessarily braindead. There's still stamina management and health management. So you can try to learn the patterns and dodge, or you can learn the patterns and block, and learn when to attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom