• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Patrick's crazy luck makes me angry

don't get me wrong, he's also a pretty good player, adaptive and patient and stuff, but he's ALSO really goddamn lucky and it makes me annnnnngrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Highly enjoyed bombin' with zoe. Really enjoying the new format of every other bombin' being an interview with a game dev. Obviously it won't work with every developer, but I think that it's a new piece of content that is pretty great.

eot

Banned
On my first playthrough of Dark Souls I barely dodged any boss attacks, I just blocked everything even though I mostly used light armor. I think Patrick played well, it's not like he was running around with the Greatshield of Artorias and using Iron Flesh in every fight. The problem isn't with the mechanics in my opinion, it's that you just get way more souls than they initially balanced for. One free level from each boss = 25+ levels higher by endgame. It's not a slight to Patrick, but it is easy to end up OP after Anor Londo. Previously you had to go out of your way to grind if you wanted to brute force your way through the game.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Highly enjoyed bombin' with zoe. Really enjoying the new format of every other bombin' being an interview with a game dev. Obviously it won't work with every developer, but I think that it's a new piece of content that is pretty great.

The one with the guy who made "I get this call every day" was kinda depressing. Guy is kind of a mess at the moment it seems. Intelligent, but in a bit of a mess.

sixghost

don't get me wrong, he's also a pretty good player, adaptive and patient and stuff, but he's ALSO really goddamn lucky and it makes me annnnnngrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

I can't control my jealously when watching that bed of chaos gif. That stupid boss has killed me so many damn times while making the jump. The thing practically grabs patrick and carries him to freedom.

Zaph

Yeah. IMO one of the best things to come out of indie game industry is how open and accessible the devs are.

Sites like Giant Bomb, with lots of personality and video content, must get insanely frustrated by how off-limits most developers are without massive amounts of PR hoop-jumping first - which is one of the main reasons you often see the same faces on the couch. It probably took one email or tweet to get Zoe on Bombin.

Eventually, if publishers want to get in on this organic and human profile raising (which also leads to hundred of millions in crowd sourced funding and Stream top 10), they're going to have to ease the iron grip on their developers and accept that occasionally the wrong thing might get said but it's not the end of the world.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker

He was some real crazy luck in spelunkey the first two days or so. I couldnt believe some of the shit that was happening.

popo

What was Pat's total playthrough time?. I have not been following but he seemed to blast through it pretty quickly.. A lot quicker than me at least.. Although I did obsess a bit other collection items and weapons.

Kerned

Banned
So, Patrick skipped Ash Lake and Gwyndolin?

Yeah. Too bad he skipped Gwyndolin, it's an interesting fight. Ash Lake is a cool area and all, but getting down there is a pain in the ass and there's not much there aside from some cool scenery.
He certainly wouldn't have been getting the slab on his playthrough.

Curufinwe

Brad playing Demon's Souls got me in the mood to go back to my New Game+, and I got as far as starting the elevator to Blacksmith Ed. Then I started item duping to get some of the best weapon trophies.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I loaded up my old save in Demon's Souls. I don't know what the fuck I was doing with that character. Soul level 100 and something, I had left off in 1-4 (I think that's where the final, or the penultimate boss is?), and I'm just getting murdered by even the damn crossbow dudes. I don't seem to have upgraded armour or weapons, apart from the Morion blade I had equipped. No wonder I quit the game when I did. Gonna start a new character I think.

M3z_

I find it so weird when people say demon's souls is more difficult than dark. I went back and played it and it wasn't even in the same league for me. I know I now have all the skills of 100+ hous of dark souls benefiting me but I still die way more on any random playthrough of dark souls than I did on this first time through Demon's. And you have to keep in mind I know where every enemy and trick is in dark souls an I knew nothing about demon's other than how to play a souls ham. I think it took me until my 3rd stage to experience my first death. I spent more time in human form in that game than soul and not cause I used ephermal eyes but because I pretty much never died in a level until I fought the boss. I have never steam rolled through dark souls the way I did through demon's even now with 4 completed playthroughs under my belt.

demidar

Got $400,000+ on today's Daily Challenge. Stupidly killed myself using landmines. Argh, I was on my way to Hell too :(

Edit: What the FUCK is up with Tricky's luck?

Mr. F

Banned
I'm kind of jealous of Patrick's luck and adaptiveness on DS, I've played dozens of hours but don't feel like I entirely grasp some of the systems and what makes a good character build. Still fun as hell, though.

Xater

2593167-askscoops.gif

sikkinixx

I was really surprised Patrick beat DS already, seems like he plowed through it?

I only watched him play through a few times and he is way more bold at it than I am, I basically creep around with a shield up at all times and grinded like fuck to get my weapons all maxed up early. But he didn't seem all that great with the combat every time I watched, getting hit a lot, using flasks all the time. Though I guess he made it through and I haven't so that says it all.

Kind of crazy that Tricky is putting out as much or more content than the rest of Giant Bomb combined

It would be crazy if he wasnt doing it consistently for the past 2 years.

Sometimes I wonder what people who discover GB recently on youtube must think the site is since free content is 75% Patrick now.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I never fire that Anubis staff for that particular reason.

You can fire it as long as there are valid targets around. He was the only living thing in the area, he was asking for it. It can be really helpful to take it near the bottom of the level and kill the shopkeeper before unlocking the door, so you have a shotgun to take into 4-3.

I ended up doing the dame thing with the final Dark Souls boss. Learning how to parry him and *poof* done. I got him down to half health once just trying to fight him straight, but he'd always destroy me soon after that.

eot

Banned
I ended up doing the dame thing with the final Dark Souls boss. Learning how to parry him and *poof* done. I got him down to half health once just trying to fight him straight, but he'd always destroy me soon after that.

It's a pretty fun fight if you don't parry him, just use the pillars to heal.

popo

Kind of crazy that Tricky is putting out as much or more content than the rest of Giant Bomb combined

To be fair he is just playing the games he wants to and streaming it. The others could do that but being in an office means there are a lot of other things that require your attention. Being off site there is little excuse not to fill the void.

Really hoping we do get the bombcast today. According to Jeff's Twitter earlier, they seemed to have internet issues in the CBSi building today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom