• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

elfinke

Everything about this stream has been great. The realist of Souls fuckery just occurred. Every fight from here on out will be a better experience than that. Flamelurker, Dragon God and so on.

And Vinny has unwittingly sent Brad to an area where he can replace his gear too, lol. 4-1 next and he is an improved character.

/edit: he just found the gear. Hahaha. These last 5 minutes encapsulates everything that is fucking great about Souls. Shame the Flayer didn't get him though.

Tucah

you speak so well
This has been a perfect Breaking Brad. Progress in the game, Brad being broken, then getting his Shoemaker swagger back.

OMG Aero

Just seeing that one invasion makes all the bloodstains of people falling to their deaths in the Nexus suddenly make sense to me.
I'm so glad there's nothing like that spear in Dark Souls.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Welcome to why I never have or will play a souls game without pulling my Ethernet cord out first.

Yep, same here. I miss the messages but I don't miss the assholes
Nice to hear that people are willing to lose out on an amazing PvP and Co-op experience just because they let a few assholes get to them.

Honestly? I never, ever cared for PvP or Co-op (plus I don't think they are really that good) I just wanna play the game.

dalVlatko

Welcome to why I never have or will play a souls game without pulling my Ethernet cord out first.

There really is no need to do that in Dark Souls. The worst anyone can do is kill you.

Seems like they want to make Breaking Bad more frequent and I'm all for it. I'm running out of time to watch videos though.

LiK

Nice to hear that people are willing to lose out on an amazing PvP and Co-op experience just because they let a few assholes get to them.

it's worth playing Demon's offline to control tendency stuff. as for Dark, to each they're own. Sometimes the solitude in the Souls game is what's great and invasions do ruin that.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You have no proof that he was stream sniping

Guess we'll see if he does invade next time, but I've always seen people like him invade on a souls stream multiple times, decked out in high level gear. Especially streams with people who are pretty new to the game.

lol51

Chat was starving to see Brad suffer that some in chat were applauding that griefer - 'welcome to demon souls' and 'cry brad cry'. Pathetic.

Phatmac

I've always preferred playing the Souls games alone for this reason. I love the dark and lonely atmosphere of them and having invasions or co-op ruins that. I wanna be on my lonesome all the time.

This has been a perfect Breaking Brad. Progress in the game, Brad being broken, then getting his Shoemaker swagger back.

It really highlighted one of the great aspects of the Souls series. You are presented with a seemingly impossible scenario. You have no souls. Your gear is broken. It's impractical to farm the starting area. What do you do?

You gather your wits, do some sensible repairing, and forge ahead. He ended up finding a new set of gear and was back in top shape.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
How random is the invading in DS? I could see someone wanting to invade Brad's game while he was streaming, but do you just have to be really lucky?

LiK

How random is the invading in DS? I could see someone wanting to invade Brad's game while he was streaming, but do you just have to be really lucky?

online community for Demon's is a lot smaller these days. Much easier for the guy to get into Brad's game. he also knew where Brad was so that helped.

Finally watching part of of Brad's demons souls playthrough lmao

Brad: Oh man that guy's got a giant shield
Vinny: Yea watch out for that giant shield(BOULDER ROLL!)

There's a nice quote from Miyazoe on Dark Souls II that applies nicely to Demon's Souls:

Miyazoe is unapologetic. “This is going to sound a little bit rude, but being invaded is part of the game,” he says. “It’s like an enemy in the game that just happens to be controlled by another player.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
There's a nice quote from Miyazoe on Dark Souls II that applies nicely to Demon's Souls:

Again, getting invaded is not the problem, that IS part of the game. Getting all your stuff broken by some guy who does nothing but that? That is just plain stupid. And the fact that a weapon like the Scraping Spear was NOT in Dark Souls is evidence enough that they realised how aweful it is.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I went from hating that invader to hating Brad's unwillingness to use items to get back on his feet. He's lucky he found that gear, but damn it, consumables are meant to be consumed! I can't decide which is worse: refusing to use a repair item to repair a broken item, or refusing to consume a soul to earn souls in favour of tediously farming for them instead.

Again, getting invaded is not the problem, that IS part of the game. Getting all your stuff broken by some guy who does nothing but that? That is just plain stupid. And the fact that a weapon like the Scraping Spear was NOT in Dark Souls is evidence enough that they realised how aweful it is.

Dark Souls still has Acid Surge. Definitely not the same caliber, though.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Watching today's Spelunkin' Max is really good on camera, etc. He's very therapeutic and concise.

Dartastic

Everything about this stream has been great. The realist of Souls fuckery just occurred. Every fight from here on out will be a better experience than that. Flamelurker, Dragon God and so on.

And Vinny has unwittingly sent Brad to an area where he can replace his gear too, lol. 4-1 next and he is an improved character.

/edit: he just found the gear. Hahaha. These last 5 minutes encapsulates everything that is fucking great about Souls. Shame the Flayer didn't get him though.
Wait what. What have you been watching? I wanna watch!!!

Also. Jeff doesn't like Popeyes. What. The. Fuck.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
But Popeyes over KFC? I haven't KFC in a few years but I remember when a Popeyes opened in RP and I went like twice and it was great.

This is the most rude and insulting comment ever. But it seems like Jeff just isn't willing to learn new games. And I'm not either, learning new games sucks.

M3z_

Damn, I hate it when I miss a premium stream, waiting for the upload is always so painful. Doesn't help that I'm stubborn about watching them from the beginning so if I show up 15 minutes late I force myself to wait for the upload.

online community for Demon's is a lot smaller these days. Much easier for the guy to get into Brad's game. he also knew where Brad was so that helped.

It almost has to be a stream sniper because I've been finishing up Demon's Souls for the past week or two and I haven't been invaded once over the 20-30 hours I've played.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

I loaded the game up not too long ago and I got invaded in 2-1 pretty quickly. Person was nice though and guided me through the entire level and was pointing out secret areas etc. Shortly after that, I got invaded in 1-2 by a different person and got completely destroyed :D

I still remember originally playing through this game and wound up going offline after the 2 people I met at old monk were using scraping spears.

Jerks.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
In Dark Souls PC the last invasion I had was before the gargoyles while I was grinding my dexterity stat. He popped in as I was getting mobbed by pygmys, killed me. I got so fucking pissed I signed off. But I signed back in and he sent me a message saying "damn, you struggling with the gargs? need help" He's still a piece of shit that ruined my game, but he was in proper spirits.

Ken

In Dark Souls PC the last invasion I had was before the gargoyles while I was grinding my dexterity stat. He popped in as I was getting mobbed by pygmys, killed me. I got so fucking pissed I signed off. But I signed back in and he sent me a message saying "damn, you struggling with the gargs? need help" He's still a piece of shit that ruined my game, but he was in proper spirits.

Last time I got invaded I was running around Sen's Fortress. Spend like 20 minutes looking for the guy and when we finally met, he turned around and triggered of those big arrow traps and died.

r5RZ5kq.png

Brad Brad

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Funny that Jeff never saw Empire and says he doesnt like Star Wars. I feel like most people love Star Wars because of Empire. It's like a legitamitely great film compared to the first one.

mpgeist

My problem with invasions isn't even that they can use gear like that. When you're fighting someone with ping in the 100's it becomes less about technique and more about who can spam cheap garbage you can't react to. I am very much looking forward to summoning sentinels whenever I get invaded and being summoned to help others. That said, I hope the netcode is vastly improved for DS2.

My problem with invasions isn't even that they can use gear like that. When you're fighting someone with ping in the 100's it becomes less about technique and more about who can spam cheap garbage you can't react to. I am very much looking forward to summoning sentinels whenever I get invaded and being summoned to help others. That said, I hope the netcode is vastly improved for DS2.

I think I read that From is using dedicated servers for DS2 instead of the peer-to-peer system that the first game used.

justjim89

Bases Loaded was my NES Baseball game of choice. Makes me sad it gets a bad reputation these days.

Edit: And for the topic at hand, I ended up playing Dark Souls offline because of the invasion garbage. Sounds like I'll have to do the same for DS2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom