• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck

Still without luck
Anyone else miss Vinny and Drew playing original Xbox games? I really really hope they start doing that again.

The PC version is awful in regards to invasions - all the people invading have hacked the game and instantly kill you. The PC version is awesome but i never played as human for that reason.

My experience has been the opposite. I've been doing nothing but pvp over the past few days and it's been completely free of hackers.

Joeku

Likewise, I only ever had one hacker invasion on Dark Souls PC and it was on a new character in Undead Parish. The dude sent me a message claiming to be the "Dark Santa" and dropped me the max number of every regular soul, boss soul, and type of titanite then bailed out after making the praise the sun gesture.

So that was weird.

bigkrev

He would make sense, as he was a CM of the largest video game streaming site, and Giant Bomb is all about community interaction in video content. The fact that he's a friend of the website, and GB Podcast regular on the Powerbombcast also helps.

I would assume if Jared joined GB it would mainly be on camera stuff as they've got Rorie for the community manager position and it could possibly mean Drew going back into the control room to replace Ian.

Well Dark Souls was a Load Our Last Save, hopefully they continue with that series it's one of my favorites.

Yeah, Vinny being into it turned Dark Souls into more of an endurance run, but now it's done I'd like LOLS to go back to its original format. He still hasn't returned to Ninja Gaiden.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
Are you looking up guides? ;)

No, but I'm inevitably gonna become aware of the solutions to every problem I run into in a given episode, since people tend to send hints on Twitter, Tumblr et al as soon as it's over. I already know the score with the Adjudicator's sucking belly wound, for instance. Kinda unavoidable.

LiK

No, but I'm inevitably gonna become aware of the solutions to every problem I run into in a given episode, since people tend to send hints on Twitter, Tumblr et al as soon as it's over. I already know the score with the Adjudicator's sucking belly wound, for instance. Kinda unavoidable.

Yea, I'm expecting people are gonna send a bunch of tips your way. But that's fine, all about the execution.

Catching up on the third part now and the extreme lack of blocking during the Adjudicator fight is making me laugh. Brad spent all that time blocking the skeletons' attacks pretty well then completely neglects it during the boss.

I'm liking this series a lot so far. I wish I had known about the skeletons' weakness to blunt attacks when I was going through the fourth area.

Edit: Welp, I guess you can't effectively block his attacks with that little stamina. I've never fought the Adjudicator from up there so I didn't run into that tongue attack. That boss music is so awesome, hopefully Dark Souls 2 gets more great music.

Requeim

Yea, I'm expecting people are gonna send a bunch of tips your way. But that's fine, all about the execution.

If that was the case, why not just load up a guide from gamefaqs right away, so he never gets stuck. I could not disagree more, discovery is just as much part of the experience.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
My experience has been the opposite. I've been doing nothing but pvp over the past few days and it's been completely free of hackers.

I've only seen one person who was clearly hacking (as far as I know there's no legitimate way to steal levels from a person, and I lost 18 SL after he invaded), but in early areas there are a ton of jackasses who at the very least get the best gear they can on a low level character to mess with players new to the game.

LiK

If that was the case, why not just load up a guide from gamefaqs right away, so he never gets stuck. I could not disagree more, discovery is just as much part of the experience.

Even when people know everything, it's still actively entertaining when they die. I've watched LPs for both the blind plays and the ones where they know the game front and back. Still fun to watch either way.

The true joy with watching Brad's run to me is seeing his reactions to the the enemy designs and locations. Vinny still guides him around so it's not like he's going in super blind. If we wanted a true blind experience, Brad would be playing the game by himself without chat.

styl3s

I don't know if this was ever pointed out but i was watching this video on YT then suddenly

OggSZ2P.png

It's uncanny to me.

derFeef

Even when people know everything, it's still actively entertaining when they die. I've watched LPs for both the blind plays and the ones where they know the game front and back. Still fun to watch either way.

The true joy with watching Brad's run to me is seeing his reactions to the the enemy designs and locations. Vinny still guides him around so it's not like he's going in super blind. If we wanted a true blind experience, Brad would be playing the game by himself without chat.

Yeah it's great, it reminds me how much more I enjoyed Demon's.
I kinda don't like the overexposure of the Souls games on GB, but they are great games and attract people, so I am kinda neutral on that.

I know how beloved the Souls series is so I'm not exactly shocked that people are so excited that they're playing yet another one. And I didn't mind watch Vinny play Dark Souls sometimes. I played plenty of it myself.

That said, watching Brad do the exact same thing for over two hours was very boring.

Requeim

Vinny is very subtle and careful about guiding him though, and has only really fucked up once on that part (shouldn't have told him about the unintended 4-1 shortcut that Brad would never have discovered on his own)

I guess people watch for different reasons, i think it would be better if there wasn't any audience interference, Vinny would still be there after all. It also messes with the natural order of such a playthrough, because next time Brad will most likely just go straight to the 4-1 boss, and beat him on the first or second try because someone told him exactly what to do. If he doesn't know on the other hand, it's more likely that he would explore more of 4-1 or go chip away at another level.

M3z_

I think this is one of the funniest things about the Souls community. There exists a portion of the community that goes out of its way to make the game as easy as possible to a new player by giving them every bit of helpful/exploitable information possible even at the cost of the player never having to think for themselves and then the portion that then completely flips out over altering the experience by doing anything but playing it blind to any available information.

LiK

Vinny is very subtle and careful about guiding him though, and has only really fucked up once on that part (shouldn't have told him about the unintended 4-1 shortcut that Brad would never have discovered on his own)

I guess people watch for different reasons, i think it would be better if there wasn't any audience interference, Vinny would still be there after all. It also messes with the natural order of such a playthrough, because next time Brad will most likely just go straight to the 4-1 boss, and beat him on the first or second try because someone told him exactly what to do. If he doesn't know on the other hand, it's more likely that he would explore more of 4-1 or go chip away at another level.

It's cool how Vinny is working with the chat. He doesn't relay anything unless Brad is super stuck or they're confused about something. I am also annoyed people are sending tips to Brad in other places.

Defunkled

Isn't it most common to move on to 1-2 or 2-1 after the first area of Demon's Souls? Jumping right into 4-1 seems like it might be a little much.

Requeim

Isn't it most common to move on to 1-2 or 2-1 after the first area of Demon's Souls? Jumping right into 4-1 seems like it might be a little much.

Different places will be easier or harder depending on your build, and you can go where ever you want. The levels aren't actually numbered in game, it's just the easiest way to refer to them.

If you're careful you can handle the enemies there, the loot is extremely good for early gameplay and the amount of souls you can farm from the enemies is fairly high. It's worth giving it a shot early in the game.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Not to reignite an earlier argument at all, but if that dude wasn't stream sniping Brad, he must've gotten incredibly unlucky. I just completed a ~23 hour run through every last bit of Demon's Souls in human form, and only now in 4-1 in NG+ have I gotten invaded. Thankfully my invader wanted a fair-ish fight, didn't have a scraping spear, and I won :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom