• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

I also got invaded in Demon's Souls, in 2-1, and got all my stuff broken by a scraping spear, though this was like 4 years ago.

Seems to be an unlucky stage for that.

M3z_

No, I think Patrick handles that topic very well. I'm talking about issues of class, poverty, and race. Issues that seldom if ever get covered in this field. Things that cast a pale on the industry that I see no mainstream reportage of that someone like Klepek (along with every one of his cohorts, that I read anyway) seems ill-equipped to handle.

You think class and poverty are issues for videogames? You mean like how people of different social classes are portrayed in videogames or people in certain classes can't get jobs in videogames? From what angle do you feel those two issues blight the videogame industry?

I also got invaded in Demon's Souls, in 2-1, and got all my stuff broken by a scraping spear, though this was like 4 years ago.

I'm pretty sure it happens to everyone at one point or another. For me it was 1-4 right before I was going to go face Allant at the end of the game.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
No, I think Patrick handles that topic very well. I'm talking about issues of class, poverty, and race. Issues that seldom if ever get covered in this field. Things that cast a pale on the industry that I see no mainstream reportage of that someone like Klepek (along with every one of his cohorts, that I read anyway) seems ill-equipped to handle.

Just seems weird that you want them to stop talking about shooting old TVs with guns and musing about fast foods to talk about social issues. Not really in their wheelhouse imo.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

Its not that I don't think its important to be aware of those issues I just think this is the wrong website to ask. And so what if Patrick had rich parents, dude clearly works his ass off and earns his keep.

You think class and poverty are issues for videogames? You mean like how people of different social classes are portrayed in videogames or people in certain classes can't get jobs in videogames? From what angle do you feel those two issues blight the videogame industry?
It's systemic. Name a triple A game series that stars a POC. Name a notable video game designer that is a POC. Name an indie darling that has been featured across gaming websites who is a POC. Then ask yourself why that is.

Just seems weird that you want them to stop talking about shooting old TVs with guns and musing about fast foods to talk about social issues. Not really in their wheelhouse imo.
Patrick's made his bones writing about the fringe and the disenfranchised of the industry, it's not unwarranted to question why he sticks to criticism that only pertains to a specific group instead of widening his scope re: problems of representation within video games. The Jeff stuff I brought up is perhaps wishful thinking on my part. That's just a gut feeling there from inference over the years that he has a populist view that I'd like to hear more in depth.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think Patrick's made his bones breaking legitimate news in a professional non-blog starved way.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

Getting your stuff wrecked isn't that bad. It's just annoying. The devs were nice enough to make repair costs not that expensive. Just go to 4-1, kill a couple skellys and you're up and running again minus being at full health.

Zornack

It's systemic. Name a triple A game series that stars a POC. Name a notable video game designer that is a POC. Name an indie darling that has been featured across gaming websites who is a POC. Then ask yourself why that is.

Grand Theft Auto, Hideo Kojima and I don't follow gaming websites so I can't say.

But, what does it matter? The majority of video game consumers are white men so the industry caters to its market. Could there be a more diverse range of characters? Sure, I'd have no problem with that, but the constant declarations that the industry is massively racist/sexist/misogynistic/etc get old.

Is it also problem that the majority of Bollywood actors are Indian?

Women's Issues Correspondent, Patrick Klepek
Senior Black Correspondent, Jeff Gerstmann
Has A Latin Girlfriend, Brad or Rorie I don't remember which (maybe both??)
Italian, Vinny Caravella

Surely a team well equipped to deal with all of the social issues in the games industry.

At the other end of the spectrum, Brad could not be better if he tried:

Anonymous asked: What are the name's of your guinea pigs? They are very cute. :3

The tan one is Gracie. She’s a sweet, curious little explorer. The red and white butterball is Guinevere (Gwen), who’s a recluse and a bit of a grouch.

M3z_

Patrick's made his bones writing about the fringe and the disenfranchised of the industry, it's not unwarranted to question why he sticks to criticism that only pertains to a specific group instead of widening his scope re: problems of representation within video games. The Jeff stuff I brought up is perhaps wishful thinking on my part. That's just a gut feeling there from inference over the years that he has a populist view that I'd like to hear more in depth.

I think there is a difference between barriers existing outside the industry that affect it and barriers that exist within the industry that affect it, Also I asked specifically about class/poverty and not race. I mean there are factors like quality of education in lower income schools, likelihood of console ownership, culture within lower income areas, ability to get loans for schooling for lower income students, and a variety of other things that would likely help explain why there are fewer game developers/designers from lower economic backgrounds. Videogames have certain hurdles purely because of what it takes to make them,.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Apparently fobwash from gaintbomb made this. It's pretty awesome.

2594368-9624482884-25940.gif

popo

As to the the other guys not talking much about social injustice in gaming. I think they represent the view of the majority - in that they are aware of issues, they have empathy for those offended, but when it comes down to it, they really don't spend much time thinking about it.. It is enough that Pat raises such issues on the site.

I think Patrick's made his bones breaking legitimate news in a professional non-blog starved way.

Two big scoops in the last 5 years, Infinity Ward and Xbox u-turn, and you could argue that hi-fi site beat him on the xbox one.

l value his output but he isn't really a breaking news guy any more. Much more of a feature writer.

dan2026

I wish Matt Rorie was in every video.

I could listen to that guy talk about nothing for hours.

The greatest Giantbomb/Whiskey Media moment is still where Rorie was drunk and rambling about puppies on some livestream and the female guest next to him was clearly freaked out.

Does anyone else remember this?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Listening to the Patrick/Alex cast and it's almost hilarious how wrong they are about Broken Age. Not that it's necessarily better, but the assumptions they make based on what they've played are just plain wrong. It'd be funny to hear their reactions after they finish the game anyway.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
Hey, I know i'm suuuuper later on this, but does anyone else find it kind of weird that a couple Bombcasts ago the duders seemed so excited about the new Aliens game based on the premise, despite the fact that it seems like an exact copy of Miasmata (survival-based gameplay based around avoiding a single AI-controlled monster with little emphasis on combat) which came out over a year ago and none of them cared about at all?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Thats not weird at all. Also the non-combat aspect of Miasmata wasn't unique to that game. The cartography/crafting aspect of Miasmata was what made that game special. This Aliens thing sounds a lot like Amnesia on a Spaceship. I also think you're misreading their excitement level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom