• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
You guys seen the new shirt?

bombdudersasphalt_grande.jpg
bombdudersroyal_grande.jpg

111_a1e2374d-b7be-4ca6-a96d-f94203a8d3a4_grande.png

Yeah, the showed it off on the friday show. It's great.

popo

Jeff mentioned on Tumblr they wanted someone to handle the business side of things. That way they don't have to attend tons of meetings and do all the organization for the company.

Those were his long term dreams. I imagine short term realistic prospects is a new video guy and maybe a junior editor.

Fucking ironic that ol' papa Moonves finally loosens up the purse strings just as the three great GB contenders all start new jobs.

If Moonves ever finds out that Giant Bomb exists then he will likely shut it down. I doubt he even realises they have a CBS Interactive.

He has a job that will be announced next week.

But, he has been saying it will be announced "next week" for about the past month so grain of salt!

He said it wasn't press so I immediately lost interest in which ever PR gig he got. Sounds like he just jumped the gun and started talking about it before all the paperwork was in. It was amusing watching that thread turn on him fast though :)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I feel like whoever they hire would be playing the host role, but I bet it'll be somebody you really wouldn't guess or expect. I actually feel like Vinny is great at playing host to podcasts and videos, but I guess he's got other things to worry about.

Tan

I feel like whoever they hire would be playing the host role, but I bet it'll be somebody you really wouldn't guess or expect. I actually feel like Vinny is great at playing host to podcasts and videos, but I guess he's got other things to worry about.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was more production folk so they could go off to events more often.

Lunzio

Most of the time the team is capped by what they can do based on what Drew and Vinny can handle so more background duders is the wisest decision in my opinion. Think back to all the crunching they have to do for GOTY. If they can have 1-2 more dudes for help, they can visit more events to film and edit.

Jintor

I foresee a problem where all the production folk end up being interesting on-camera people and then they are more in on camera stuff and then they need to hire more people to cover their roles

this of course won't happen but it's fun to think about!

for a given value of fun

Megasoum

Banned
He said it wasn't press so I immediately lost interest in which ever PR gig he got. Sounds like he just jumped the gun and started talking about it before all the paperwork was in. It was amusing watching that thread turn on him fast though :)

He didn't talk about it, he wrote a tweet about it that was meant to be a DM....and yes, if it's still the job he was talking about in that job then you can just forget about Jeff, we won't see him publicly anywhere now (outside of his personal streams of course).

popo

He didn't talk about it, he wrote a tweet about it that was meant to be a DM....and yes, if it's still the job he was talking about in that job then you can just forget about Jeff, we won't see him publicly anywhere now (outside of his personal streams of course).

No, I heard about the DM mistake but he has also been promising to announce his new employer "in a few days", "in a week or so" and "during DICE" for a while now. He isn't teasing for the sake of it but the inadvertent trolling has annoyed a few.

He also said it was "not press" on twitter publically. No real surprise. The number of people going from press to dev/PR and back again can be counted on one hand. Can't blame them. A lowly community manager earns more than a senior editor.

Megasoum

Banned
No, I heard about the DM mistake but he has also been promising to announce his new employer "in a few days", "in a week or so" and "during DICE" for a while now. He isn't teasing for the sake of it but the inadvertent trolling has annoyed a few.

He also said it was "not press" on twitter publically. No real surprise. The number of people going from press to dev/PR and back again can be counted on one hand. Can't blame them. A lowly community manager earns more than a senior editor.

Yeah, I meant that we won't see Jeff publicly in his new job.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
The last thing they need is someone in-house putting tons of effort into their video content. People would happily tune in to see them press record on a camera and go. It certainly seems like they need an extra body for the control room, but I think hamster is too talented to only do that.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Well, it doesn't sound like it's going to be limited to one hire.

I think they just need more background staff, who could possibly move to the foreground like alexis and ian.

Chuck

Still without luck
They need camera and video people. Vinny behind the scenes doing stuff is unacceptable at this point and it would be great if they had some camera people for event videos and stuff. Vinny should just be their manager and train them.

GB could definitely use more production people who actually want to produce stuff. Hamster is pretty damn talented.

Most things now are just hit the record button and go and Vinny and drew are having a hard time doing that already. They dont get a chance to edit a lot of stuff anymore.

Also when Drew and Vinny get to actually show there talents with things like the GOTY videos its great. If another full time producer meant they could experiment with some high production quality content then I would be for it.

The last thing they need is someone in-house putting tons of effort into their video content. People would happily tune in to see them press record on a camera and go. It certainly seems like they need an extra body for the control room, but I think hamster is too talented to only do that.

Crazy talk, some (most?) of Giant Bomb's best content has been videos that Vinny and Drew actually spent a long time editing. Think about what Hamster could bring to the GOTY videos.

Damn it.

I hadn't touched Dark Souls in so long, but after watching Vinny, Brad, and Patrick all taking a whack at dying in the souls games again, I had to get back in there. I've put in 6.5 hours over the last few days, despite having other more important things I should be working on. And I'm loving it.

Damn it.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I burst out laughing because you could just see it coming when he started climbing up

I thought I was spoiled by his high score in the spelunky thread because it said 5-4, so i assumed he finally did it. How wonderfully wrong I was. I am glad, I want the daily spelunky to continue. Though i want to see him venture out into the Mothership and worm levels too.

Kelas

Crazy talk, some (most?) of Giant Bomb's best content has been videos that Vinny and Drew actually spent a long time editing. Think about what Hamster could bring to the GOTY videos.

Again, I don't see someone as talented as hamster moving in-house with GB to spend most of his time in the control room. Partnering with them for their infrequent, higher-production-value videos makes a lot more sense. That is unless they're planning to start some regular, higher-produced features that require a lot of editing, but the slow introduction of new features to the site would indicate that's probably not on the cards.

As an aside, I'd argue that most of their best content has been them sitting in front of a camera playing video games and chatting. I'm in favour of whatever enables them to do more of that.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's not like they need his editing skills, but maybe his familiarity with livestreaming and video editing software. This could free up drew and vinny for on-camera duty which is clearly what the audience wanted.

Also who knows? Maybe their new ideas might involve needing a good editor.

Still, I don't really think it's on us to know what kind of personnel they should and shouldn't get.

demidar

Working the Tricaster is probably the toughest part of the job (but not most time-consuming). Have you seen their recording studio? It's like a goddamn jungle of wires, switches and buttons that have been jury rigged together. If they do hire new people it would probably be about teaching them how to work that beast.

Kelas

It's not like they need his editing skills, but maybe his familiarity with livestreaming and video editing software. This could free up drew and vinny for on-camera duty which is clearly what the audience wanted.

Also who knows? Maybe their new ideas might involve needing a good editor.

Still, I don't really think it's on us to know what kind of personnel they should and shouldn't get.

Of course it's not on us, but it's a discussion forum after all and this is just some harmless speculation.

popo

Running the tricaster does not seem that hard to teach. It has hundreds of dials and options but like most things, they likely only use a handful on a regular basis. They trained Ian up quickly and, afaik, he had no experience in video.

A junior position under Drew and Vinny seems like a perfect entry level position for some ambitious kid out of school.

Why would I watch this ripoff? already seen the Polygon one :D

Patryn

Running the tricaster does not seem that hard to teach. It has hundreds of dials and options but like most things, they likely only use a handful on a regular basis. They trained Ian up quickly and, afaik, he had no experience in video.

A junior position under Drew and Vinny seems like a perfect entry level position for some ambitious kid out of school.

That's fully what I expect. Given how long it took to loosen the pursestrings, I doubt that they'll want to waste most of the new money on a single hire of a high-profile person when they can hire 2 to 3 fresh faces instead. They need bodies, not flashy hires.

Listening to the Jeff/Dave Mixlr and Jeff just mentioned he's heading in for a meeting about hiring someone to handle the business side of GB, hope they have enough to get some more backend ppl to help Vinny & Drew out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom