• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FHIZ

2QTVm1a.png

That look of contained joy, lol.

Also, of course he's going on about the concept of bosses and what not. Just enjoy the win, Scoops!

I missed it but major congrats to scoops for finally doing it.

Yesterday way too much of a tease to not attempt it again even with the heartbreak that accompanied it.

Damn, I was really hoping to see Patrick do it live. Oh well, guess the archive will have to do.

Also very glad to see him taking down the "Stop whining, you're making money" argument towards the Flappy Bird developer in his article. It was a shame to see the GAF thread full of that sentiment.

Zaph

Lol, I love Rorie, but that gif makes him look like he has an extra chromosome.

It was a joke Patrick, no need to write an article about this post.

Mesoian

Damn, I was really hoping to see Patrick do it live. Oh well, guess the archive will have to do.

Also very glad to see him taking down the "Stop whining, you're making money" argument towards the Flappy Bird developer in his article. It was a shame to see the GAF thread full of that sentiment.

It is easy to understand why a large group of people with varying situations would look at someone who is now EXTREMELY successful complaining about said success and feel dejected. It's a grass is always greener thing and complaining about a lack of empathy is sort of silly because, for the majority, it is a position that they will never be in, nor do they believe they might ever be in.

I'm not saying that these people are justified, but I understand where their anger comes from. I have a few friends who are game developers with stuff on iOS who cannot stand this guy's attitude. They're still struggling while this guy fell into success and now wants out because "it's hard". This was his opportunity to start a company and he let it go because he doesn't know how to handle the Internet PR reigns. That's frustrating for a ton of people who are biting and clawing and scratching and making shady deals to get a little bit more exposure.

To each his own and I wish him all the best in the future, but man. MAN. I don't get it. This is one that I simply cannot get. You did it, you made it, you're in, and now you want out? The only thing I can relate it to in my life was the boyfriend of one of my cousins who made it into the NFL, signed up, on contract, heading to camp the following week, and he decides he doesn't want to play anymore. On the eve of making MILLIONS, decides it's not for him. I didn't understand that either. No one I spoke to about it understood. It felt like...such a waste.

It is easy to understand why a large group of people with varying situations would look at someone who is now EXTREMELY successful complaining about said success and feel dejected. It's a grass is always greener thing and complaining about a lack of empathy is sort of silly because, for the majority, it is a position that they will never be in, nor do they believe they might ever be in.

I'm not saying that these people are justified, but I understand where their anger comes from. I have a few friends who are game developers with stuff on iOS who cannot stand this guy's attitude. They're still struggling while this guy fell into success and now wants out because "it's hard". This was his opportunity to start a company and he let it go because he doesn't know how to handle the Internet PR reigns. That's frustrating for a ton of people who are biting and clawing and scratching and making shady deals to get a little bit more exposure.

To each his own and I wish him all the best in the future, but man. MAN. I don't get it. This is one that I simply cannot get. You did it, you made it, you're in, and now you want out? The only thing I can relate it to in my life was the boyfriend of one of my cousins who made it into the NFL, signed up, on contract, heading to camp the following week, and he decides he doesn't want to play anymore. On the eve of making MILLIONS, decides it's not for him. I didn't understand that either. No one I spoke to about it understood. It felt like...such a waste.

It's all about priorities, I guess. Everyone's got a different vision of success, and that defines what we consider rational decisions and irrational decisions. I don't know much about this dude but I get the sense that he wasn't ever especially interested in starting a company, or getting exposure, or "making it big." It makes sense for the people who are looking for that to see him and be like, "Fuck dude, you had it! Are you crazy?" And I bet it's super frustrating to see that spotlight land on someone who wasn't even looking for it, but that's kind of the random nature of fame and there's no real reason to direct that anger at the guy himself for it. That's the key to empathy, is being able to say "You don't think the way I do, and you're in a position that I will never be in, so I really can't put myself in your shoes, but I'm going to trust that your emotions are valid and do my best to understand anyway." And besides, even if he did want it, there can be a wide gap between your perception of something and the reality of it. It's like changing majors, kinda. You think something's for you, and you realize it isn't, and it sucks that you put all the time into it but the best thing to do is to try something else.

Dude never came across as very complainy to me either. It's mostly because everyone kept badgering him about his decision that he has to keep explaining why he's unhappy, which prompts more people to label him as a whiner.

obonicus

People don't get to harass him because they're angry at the dude's choices, though. That's kinda the point. You don't feel sympathy for him? Fine. You don't have to. There's a wide gulf between that and going to twitter and telling him to kill himself. That's where empathy comes in. Do you want a million angry assholes yelling at you? No? So don't be one of those angry assholes.

Mesoian

People don't get to harass him because they're angry at the dude's choices, though. That's kinda the point. You don't feel sympathy for him? Fine. You don't have to. There's a wide gulf between that and going to twitter and telling him to kill himself. That's where empathy comes in. Do you want a million angry assholes yelling at you? No? So don't be one of those angry assholes.

Totally. The lack of understanding doesn't suddenly mean people are allowed to hurl insults.

chogidogs

*cries quietly*

LOL, am I talking to buzzclick right now? If yes, I meant that overrated in a way that you are basically in charge of art design of most if not all GB merch and sometimes those get really really predicable. As an artist you do solid work.

If you're not buzzclick I do enjoy your video renditions of the bombcast very much.

Tucah

you speak so well
Seems the Risk of Rain show with Alex that Patrick talked about at the end of Spelunkin' is going to start tomorrow.

I wish GB would do more shirt designs that weren't in-jokes and just had a simple design. I thought the Whiskey member shirts with the small emblem were nice looking.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Would love him to start Binding of Isaac.
I really think he should make a thing out of it when (if?) the remastered version comes out. Wait for that one.

And john Davison would be a really cool fit, but he seems to not stick around at jobs for very long these days.

LordCanti

Their first hire should be in charge of making sure shit is sorted before it's time to go live :p

Except on Friday's, of course. That'd be too professional.

Their first hire should be in charge of making sure shit is sorted before it's time to go live :p

Except on Friday's, of course. That'd be too professional.

it's video. it's live streaming. it's never 100% set in stone. problems can and will happen even with hardware that worked 5 minutes ago. also, it's basically a 3-man team doing the work of ideally 5 or 6.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year

It's...it's almost as if money doesn't equate to happiness, and some people prioritize happiness over money.

So what, you're endorsing jealousy? His choice, not yours, your friends or anyone else's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom