• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuripaw

Banned
I know this is old news, but omg...watching this week's unprofessional fridays while eating food is a serious choking hazard, lol. I could not stop laughing at moments during that ridiculous Gang Beasts game, hahaha.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So does anyone listen to Polygon's podcast "Besties"?

It was originally a podcast that was about 30 minutes - an hour long and the 4 people would each bring in one game that came out that week. Then they'd argue over why their game was the best and everyone would vote on who should win and the winner gets to say "Hey I won!"

There was talk that they might cancel it but they decided to bring it back in a new format! Now in this new format, the episodes are much longer (first episode is nearly 2 hours!) they talk about any great games that came out, then they go over news, and then they take emails...

Hey, wait a sec?

I wouldn't normally take anything away from this, but coming right after they introduced their "Overview" videos and a lot of people noted their Quick Look like similarity, it seems like they're looking to GB for a little bit more inspiration.

Also, Oh jeff

7PPV3Fz.png

So does anyone listen to Polygon's podcast "Besties"?

It was originally a podcast that was about 30 minutes - an hour long and the 4 people would each bring in one game that came out that week. Then they'd argue over why their game was the best and everyone would vote on who should win and the winner gets to say "Hey I won!"

There was talk that they might cancel it but they decided to bring it back in a new format! Now in this new format, the episodes are much longer (first episode is nearly 2 hours!) they talk about any great games that came out, then they go over news, and then they take emails...

Hey, wait a sec?

I wouldn't normally take anything away from this, but coming right after they introduced their "Overview" videos and a lot of people noted their Quick Look like similarity, it seems like they're looking to GB for a little bit more inspiration.

Also, Oh jeff

7PPV3Fz.png

Isn't it monthly? Also that's basically the default template for podcasts, I don't think GB really invented it.

Screw the Myst talk, they should play The Longest Journey because there's another game coming instead.
Whynotboth?

Played it recently, doesn't hold up. By that logic though, I would like to see them play the Syberia games, well the first one at least.
Uh, were you talking about The Longest Journey? I played it for the first time recently and enjoyed it immensely. It's one of my favorite games of all time, even.

obonicus

I actually listed to a bunch of besties. It got to be pretty terrible. I really like MBMBaM, but Griffin's 'snarky, cool one' persona works when he's with his pretty dorky brothers. It kinda clashed with Plante doing the same sort of schtick, and Frushtick just being really unfunny.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Isn't it monthly? Also that's basically the default template for podcasts, I don't think GB really invented it.

People said the same thing about the Overview videos lol.

It's not that GB invented it, it's clearly a good, generic styling for a gaming podcast that Giant Bomb is doing really well with.

It just seems weird that it's coming RIGHT after they start the Overview videos. Like I kept expecting them to offhandedly mention inspiration at some point, or just some subtle tip off that they're taking some inspiration by saying something like "Hey everybody it's Besties!". It just feels super weird!

It's not that GB invented it, it's clearly a good, generic styling for a gaming podcast that Giant Bomb is doing really well with.

It just seems weird that it's coming RIGHT after they start the Overview videos. Like I kept expecting them to offhandedly mention inspiration at some point, or just some subtle tip off that they're taking some inspiration by saying something like "Hey everybody it's Besties!". It just feels super weird!

It just seems like a stretch. The new Besties is way more structured than the Bombcast, they all play the games they're talking about and only talk about the "best" games of the month. I get the Overview comparison, but this just doesn't seem that similar to the Bombcast.

there's like a million reasons to hate polygon but this "they're ripping off giant bomb" stuff that's turned into a thing lately seems like a pretty big stretch.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
there's like a million reasons to hate polygon but this "they're ripping off giant bomb" stuff that's turned into a thing lately seems like a pretty big stretch.

i wouldn't say they're ripping them off

i think their personality driven content like the podcast and their video stuff just isn't as popular as they hoped and they're in that awkward stage of drawing inspiration and switching up formats

their old video series' like Today I Played were really pretty awful, i don't blame them for going back to the drawing board.

http://youtu.be/U6ta4eD-TUE

stuff like this is actually hard to watch.

Zaph

I don't think Polygon is copying, they're just desperate to have something click for them with the wider audience. Aside from the odd longform article, everything they produce is forgettable and uncompelling. They're using their massive resources to try and be everything: the formal news and article site, the gameplay playthrough site, the casual 'buddies' site etc. The videos I've seen by them sound like strangers pretending they're good friends.

Only reason they're still around is because Vox is massively overfunded. It's weird, it's like a new Gamespot trying to launch in 2012 when gaming enthusiast publishing has gone in the complete opposite direction to more niche, focused sites and personalities.

McLargepants

Neo Member
Dude The Besties podcast is still talking in depth about four strong games that all of them have played, not just whatever they've been playing. It's monthly, and every podcast ever takes emails, so come on.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It just seems like a stretch. The new Besties is way more structured than the Bombcast, they all play the games they're talking about and only talk about the "best" games of the month. I get the Overview comparison, but this just doesn't seem that similar to the Bombcast.

i wouldn't say they're ripping them off

i think their personality driven content like the podcast and their video stuff just isn't as popular as they hoped and they're in that awkward stage of drawing inspiration and switching up formats

their old video series' like Today I Played were really pretty awful, i don't blame them for going back to the drawing board.

http://youtu.be/U6ta4eD-TUE

stuff like this is actually hard to watch.

I don't think Polygon is copying, they're just desperate to have something click for them with the wider audience. Aside from the odd longform article, everything they produce is forgettable and uncompelling. They're using their massive resources to try and be everything: the formal news and article site, the gameplay playthrough site, the casual 'buddies' site etc. The videos I've seen by them sound like strangers pretending they're good friends.

Only reason they're still around is because Vox is massively overfunded. It's weird, it's like a new Gamespot trying to launch in 2012 when gaming enthusiast publishing has gone in the complete opposite direction to more niche, focused sites and personalities.

Dude The Besties podcast is still talking in depth about four strong games that all of them have played, not just whatever they've been playing. It's monthly, and every podcast ever takes emails, so come on.

Yeah only reason I mentioned it is because it came RIGHT after the Overview thing and just seemed weird. I mean, Bombcast is (probably?) the most popular gaming podcast out there, so it wouldn't be surprising that in the same episode where they mention that the show was almost cancelled because of low listener numbers, they also decided to take inspiration from one of the biggest gaming podcasts.

frostyxc

Jeff rocking that Montreal Expos hat

I had a guy stop me in the supermarket the other day, asking me about my Alouettes hat. I corrected him about it being an Expos hat and we had a good laugh. Then something inside me died.

And you know what's cool about the illusion of freedom? You don't have to listen to any ol' crappy podcast, Alo81. Try exercising that illusion, buddy!

Deimo5

Where can you watch that Demon's Souls playthrough btw? I tried looking a couple of times in the past but I guess I am not super familiar with Giant Bomb.

Where can you watch that Demon's Souls playthrough btw? I tried looking a couple of times in the past but I guess I am not super familiar with Giant Bomb.

It's subscriber only. If you're a subscriber, go to "Videos" and seach for Breaking Brad Demon's Souls (in the "Search for videos.." box a bit down the page). Searching for videos on the site is a bit awkward.

Or you could just check them on the game's wiki page: http://www.giantbomb.com/demons-souls/3030-24057/videos/

Lethal

Neo Member
I actually listed to a bunch of besties. It got to be pretty terrible. I really like MBMBaM, but Griffin's 'snarky, cool one' persona works when he's with his pretty dorky brothers. It kinda clashed with Plante doing the same sort of schtick, and Frushtick just being really unfunny.

Yeah, I can get with this. I love MBMBaM but the Besties stuff comes off as being really awkward. Also, I just find Russ Frushtick to be incredibly unfunny.

EDIT

Wait, how come Jeff's sudoku stream isn't on his Twitch "Past Broadcasts" page?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom