• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
YouTube went behind the premium pay wall a looooong time ago.

It coincided with their own video player going to shit, too.

Really? Even though I can just watch the Youtube videos free on Youtube? Are they trying to get people to never visit the site? That seems bizarre.

YouTube went behind the premium pay wall a looooong time ago.

It coincided with their own video player going to shit, too.

This is what happens, Larry. This is what happens when you find a stranger in the alps.

I've been a paid subscriber since Day 1, but I've always felt that the video player went to hell when they were compelled (I think that is a better term than "forced") to include ads into their videos. Because of this and the switch to whatever video server they switched to eons ago, the site has always been unstable to me, so I follow things by 1: an RSS feed containing the news, and 2: iTunes Premium RSS feeds that allow me to download Features, Subscriber, and Quick Looks at the leisure of my internet connection. Also, the unofficial iOS app is handy, too. Basically, I do everything possible to avoid the website, and it is a shame. But, at least I get the content and they get my money. Makes them happy too, I suppose.

I consume like 90% of GB content through their roku channel streaming to my TV. It's good stuff to have on while gaming with my friends on the PC.

Thomper

This is what happens, Larry. This is what happens when you find a stranger in the alps.

I've been a paid subscriber since Day 1, but I've always felt that the video player went to hell when they were compelled (I think that is a better term than "forced") to include ads into their videos. Because of this and the switch to whatever video server they switched to eons ago, the site has always been unstable to me, so I follow things by 1: an RSS feed containing the news, and 2: iTunes Premium RSS feeds that allow me to download Features, Subscriber, and Quick Looks at the leisure of my internet connection. Also, the unofficial iOS app is handy, too. Basically, I do everything possible to avoid the website, and it is a shame. But, at least I get the content and they get my money. Makes them happy too, I suppose.
Saying that they were 'forced' to put ads into the videos sounds really weird. GiantBomb is a business that needs to make money, and most of its content is video-based. *Not* including ads on those videos would be a terrible decision economically.

(The video player works fine for me btw, but I'm not trying to say that a broken video player isn't annoying. It's more that ads are essential to the survival of GiantBomb.)

Ulumsk

Yup, been premium for years, but I avoid the website for videos. Way too unstable and it seems to only have gotten worse. I usually use the GB Video Buddy/win8 app or just download the videos for later.

pronk420

have they ever looked at cataclysm DDA? I think that would be ideal game for Drew/Vinny.

once Brudds has finished Demon's souls he should brogue for breaky brad. its amazing and that would gaurantee decades of video content.

oh god what if they a yakuza ishin endurance run...

Aaron

When you get the capsule toy, it just shows you a tiny picture and tells you to look in the extras? I know it's a minor thing, but that's real shitty game design. It should have been a moment where it popped open with a little fanfare and showed it off a little. Do something kids will appreciate.

So is the crew aware that the old Whiskey Media app allows you to watch premium videos without having to log in or anything? I subscribed a couple days ago and thought I would catch up on old content at work so I searched to see if it was on the app first and it allowed me to play it. I was surprised so I went back and checked if I maybe logged in a while ago and just forgot, but apparently I never did.

It only has older premium stuff, but apparently there's no safe guard on it? Is this a known thing?

popo

Drew discovered animated gifs as backgrounds. I hope he does not abuse this power.

Really? Even though I can just watch the Youtube videos free on Youtube? Are they trying to get people to never visit the site? That seems bizarre.

The explanation I heard was that if you watch it on their site via their player then they can run ads. If you watch it on the youtube main site then they run ads and GB gest a cut - meager as it is. If you watch youtube embeded on the GB site then nobody gets paid for ads, hence a premium option as they don't get ads anyway Not sure how that works but that is what was said.

Patryn

So is the crew aware that the old Whiskey Media app allows you to watch premium videos without having to log in or anything? I subscribed a couple days ago and thought I would catch up on old content at work so I searched to see if it was on the app first and it allowed me to play it. I was surprised so I went back and checked if I maybe logged in a while ago and just forgot, but apparently I never did.

It only has older premium stuff, but apparently there's no safe guard on it? Is this a known thing?

I'm fairly certain that after Whiskey was bought, Tested made all the premium content they had access to free, so all the Happy Hours are up on YouTube.

I'm fairly certain that after Whiskey was bought, Tested made all the premium content they had access to free, so all the Happy Hours are up on YouTube.

Yeah, it looked like some Happy Hours and an unprofessional Wednesday were all that was on the app, but search brought up pretty much everything. Guess I'll catch up on old content a lot easier now.

Dany

Banned
Mario 3D world is the best mario game since Galaxy 2.

They see Mario as stagnant but when they introduce new mechanics like the 3 coins or new suits, that doesn't do it for them.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Pretty sure it's a feature of their new video player. Gamespot has been doing it for awhile.

It is ultimately just a gif as background-image, though. It's not really tied to the video player per se.

Video player is all over the place for me. Never works on my laptop's FF. Sometimes works on IE on my laptop. Sometimes works on my desktop's FF. Occasionally works on my desktop's IE.

Adverts don't stream properly sometimes, then the content works smoothly. Turn it to progressive, and it stops buffering at 5% past the point I pause it at.

Used to work perfectly before the buyout, not sure what happened.

I'd like to hear a bombcast special just based on Dark Souls and hopes for Dark Souls 2, with Vinny, Patrick and Brad. Jeff can get involved as well as long as he promises not to be a negative nancy :p

Did Brad ever play 3D World? Calling it a retread seems rather silly, as does saying the press is jaded when most of their titles are still critically well-received.

npa189

Trying to watch the DK quick look, just end up yelling at Brad. How can you work at a site like GB and not remember if DKCR had an overworld! I know they play a ton of games, and its trivial as fuck, but get it together.

Tamanon

Banned
Trying to watch the DK quick look, just end up yelling at Brad. How can you work at a site like GB and not remember if DKCR had an overworld! I know they play a ton of games, and its trivial as fuck, but get it together.

Maybe it just wasn't that memorable a game or feature.

skynidas

Banned

... Get what together? He didn't remember If some game had an overworld. Why make such a deal like this? Don't be dumb.

Alfredo

As someone who doesn't normally watch Patrick content, I would totally watch him play through Danganronpa.

Edit: (Then again, I guess lack of Vita capture options wouldn't let that happen anyway)

Dragon

Banned
As someone who doesn't normally watch Patrick content, I would totally watch him play through Danganronpa.

Edit: (Then again, I guess lack of Vita capture options wouldn't let that happen anyway)

It may work with the VitaTV. Not sure he has one though.

npa189

... Get what together? He didn't remember If some game had an overworld. Why make such a deal like this? Don't be dumb.

It just makes him sound completely unprepared. I know its dumb but if you are playing a sequel to a major nintendo game (made by retro) just boot up the first one for like 5 min?

Is Giant Bomb slow for anybody else ? I'm downloading videos to my hard drive and my speed is fluctuating between 5KB/s and 200KB/s, when usually I'm close to 2MB/s. It's been like this since yesterday night. :/

Being so dismissive of EDF is a bit of a bummer, especially the mechanics which can get very tactical as you increase the difficulty and team numbers. Really aren't just bad, dumb games. Hopefully by the end of the quiclook Brad realizes you can blow up every building.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
You're not playing Sudoku if you're not crushing easy levels in ~2 minutes. With all the information they give you, they're incredibly simple logic puzzles. Stuff gets messy at the intermediate difficulty, where you really have to search for your first breakthrough without needing to make guesses and too many notes. Really tough ones require you to fill up the whole damn board with notes, make logical assessments of those, and usually have you wasting 20 minutes of your life before realising you made a tiny mistake with your notes at the start and now have two 7s in one row.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It just makes him sound completely unprepared. I know its dumb but if you are playing a sequel to a major nintendo game (made by retro) just boot up the first one for like 5 min?

Why? He wasn't playing it, and the video wasn't about the previous game. It's also completely useless information that doesn't actually add anything to the video.

FStop7

Banned
Come on weekend, hurry up and get here so we can get past this strife and go back to talking about what aftershaves we think the GB crew uses

(we already know the answer)

roRLz.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom