• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

popo

If those early reviews (GI, EDGE) turn out to be right, Vinny is going to be so disappointed. Like that 3DS game all over again.

They should bring in Kat Bailey for the quick look.

Did you see that so called "rape" scene? Shame a few abusive pricks caused any critics of her preview article to be branded women haters. I wonder if Patrick will mention it at all?

wow i wonder who's doing the EDF quicklook. seems like a Brad/Jeff thing?

I would say Jeff driving and he is going to rip it to pieces. they remade the same buggy PS2 game twice now.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
Brad seriously criticizing the framerate of a VIDEO of MGS5. Wow.

Just so you know Brad, the game will run at 60.

If it's the video's fault, why is the frame rate so up and down in that demo? This isn't complicated.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
vinnyhatsune8pj50.jpg

mrJared

Banned
Brad seriously criticizing the framerate of a VIDEO of MGS5. Wow.

Just so you know Brad, the game will run at 60.

Weird how he seems so perceptive to frame rate dips at times...ie: Tomb Raider PS4, MGS 5 PS4. Yet has no issues with or, doesn't notice choppy frames in games like Dead rising 3, Ryse, and Titanfall.

Oh wait... I get it.

Zornack

Weird how he seems so perceptive to frame rate dips at times Tomb Raider PS4, MGS 5 PS4, yet has no issues with or doesn't notice choppy frames in games like Dead rising 3, Ryse, and Titanfall.

Oh wait... I get it.

That's just not true!

These are lies!

Weird how he seems so perceptive to frame rate dips at times...ie: Tomb Raider PS4, MGS 5 PS4. Yet has no issues with or, doesn't notice choppy frames in games like Dead rising 3, Ryse, and Titanfall.

Oh wait... I get it.

What do you get?

Tell me, I want to know.

Where did Brad criticize the MGS5 video originally? Didn't see it anywhere.

If it's the video's fault, why is the frame rate so up and down in that demo? This isn't complicated.
The 60FPS trailer that was released yesterday? The framerate looks rock solid on next-gen versions to me... maybe you're watching a bad version or the PC/player you're using can't handle 60FPS? Try playing this in VLC:
http://trailers-ak.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/1/t_metalgearsolidv_consolecomparison_10kbps.mp4

In addition, the E3 Phantom Pain Xbox One demo (running at 720p) also looked fantastic to me. Whether or not this is on real hardware, we know the PS4 version will probably look better than this: http://openpandora.info/df/MGS5 MS Conference 720p60.mp4

Bsigg12

Where did Brad criticize the MGS5 video originally? Didn't see it anywhere.

The 60FPS trailer that was released yesterday? The framerate looks rock solid on next-gen versions to me... maybe you're watching a bad version or the PC/player you're using can't handle 60FPS? Try playing this in VLC:
http://trailers-ak.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/1/t_metalgearsolidv_consolecomparison_10kbps.mp4

In addition, the E3 Phantom Pain Xbox One demo (running at 720p) also looked fantastic to me. Whether or not this is on real hardware, we know the PS4 version will probably look better than this: http://openpandora.info/df/MGS5 MS Conference 720p60.mp4

It's during the Japanese PSN store video during the old Ground Zeroes video.

I am no expert on tech but I am pretty sure streaming a trailer from pre release Japanese servers of a video that was first shown at a Microsoft Press Conference for a game that isnt out for another year is indicative of its final frame rate.

edit. thought he was talking about TPP trailer and not the GZ video. Who knows.

The GZ video already looks pretty old. It still has clouds and everything.

It's during the Japanese PSN store video during the old Ground Zeroes video.

Oh wow, that video looks like shit compared to the 60FPS videos we've seen (which I linked to above).

Brad, definitely watch the 60FPS videos, they look way better.

edit: also Brad, you can totally get an inconsistent framerate from a 60FPS source depending on the encoding options. In some of the encoders I've used there's a slider between "crisp" and "smooth". With Crisp you get a sharper image but there can be frame drops if the bitrate isn't high enough, and with smooth it won't drop frames but if the bitrate isn't high enough the image will be soft, have macroblocking, etc.

Oh wait... I get it.
BRAD A CONFIRMED XBOT
IT'S 2008 ALL OVER AGAIN

Brad should quit being such an xbot and play a real game on a REAL system. Like Demon's Souls.

Yeah, I asked myself the same several times. I think he was permed.

Can someone tell me from which video this is ?

Speaking of which... I never got around to watching that bit where Vinny used that shock thingy during the 24 hour stream. Could someone point to me where exactly I can watch that bit?

He requested a ban, he'll be back in a few months.

Hah, I was gonna say, I looked through his post history and unless his post was deleted everything seemed to be pretty on the level.

Why would someone request a ban though? Does GAF really interfere with people's lives enough that they need to request a time out?

Jintor

If I were to calculate it out, I don't think there's been more than a span of a few days that I haven't checked GAF in the last few years. And they were probably days that I didn't have access to the net.

Were I in a situation where I had serious exams or something, I might consider it. My uni courses were generally assignnment based, tho

I liked Lords of Shadow a lot but LoS 2 looks like it's not going to be great. I will probably be waiting for a steam sale, unfortunately.

There's only been two outlets to review it though, right? Seems like LoS reviews were all over the place as well. I'd be worried if once the embargo lifts all the reviews are bad. I have a feeling as reviewers get more impatient with AAA and more used to shorter games like Gone Home and Journey (which I did enjoy too!), we'll see a downturn of review scores for games that are 20+ hours in length just because reviewers have to crunch so much harder to complete these reviews and won't be able to enjoy the game.

I honestly hope Vinny just endurance runs LoS2. I guess it just hasn't been Giant Bomb's thing to do that with a new game though.

Ketch

man I love this world of imaginary yet real vinco items. So far Vinco is into the business of energy drinks, ironworks, and skin success cream(?). It's perfect.

Bsigg12

Hah, I was gonna say, I looked through his post history and unless his post was deleted everything seemed to be pretty on the level.

Why would someone request a ban though? Does GAF really interfere with people's lives enough that they need to request a time out?

People have different reasons. For some not being able to post kind if gets rid of the fun of being on GAF so they can focus on work and school.

Isn't that MGS video from the PS3 version? There's the "start" button as well as the Dual Shock 3 d-pad when the player changes weapons, and on top of that I thought it looked a bit blurry.

Unless it was so early that they hadn't put in the PS4 button icons I really think it's the PS3 version.

demidar

People have different reasons. For some not being able to post kind if gets rid of the fun of being on GAF so they can focus on work and school.

If I couldn't post on Gaf, I think I'd go crazy from the studying. If anything it helps me keep my sanity, especially during exams.

Then again, I'm not totally dedicated to go for 95+ scores (though a couple of my friends do). Solid B student + fun sounds better to me.

Must be something really deep to want to get off Gaf.

If I couldn't post on Gaf, I think I'd go crazy from the studying. If anything it helps me keep my sanity, especially during exams.

Then again, I'm not totally dedicated to go for 95+ scores (though a couple of my friends do). Solid B student + fun sounds better to me.

Must be something really deep to want to get off Gaf.

My thing is that Im more of a lurker. I do have 2,272 posts to my name, but I only post like once or twice a day. However, I visit and read through a ton of threads. So for me it wouldnt really be a viable solution. Also, I think you're right. When Im in between classes a visit to Gaf is like a quick blast of fresh air. Same way with studying, when you get done studying hours on end its nice to load up a good twitch stream and browse Gaf.

Is there some reason I can't watch Youtube videos from the site any more? It won't let me select it from the Quality menu, says 'Members Only' (and I am a member, just not Premium). Is that something they changed on purpose or just a 'site's broke, Dave' situation?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is there some reason I can't watch Youtube videos from the site any more? It won't let me select it from the Quality menu, says 'Members Only' (and I am a member, just not Premium). Is that something they changed on purpose or just a 'site's broke, Dave' situation?

YouTube went behind the premium pay wall a looooong time ago.

It coincided with their own video player going to shit, too.

Speaking of premium, I just bought a year subscription after letting it lapse for some time and the sound clip that plays at the completion screen made be sad because it has Ryan thanking me :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom