• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcridMeat

Banned
It looks alright but Street Cleaning Simulator clearly is the superior product

iLS1g3TegJBnE.gif

iKqJEv1hJ7inR.gif
idhx5yS9AxZAL.gif

imapxMycNgbaw.gif
i3o3822zFGkzY.gif

iboTg3sE5OvgJd.gif
I come into this thread to show my pleasure at the warehouse quick look, and now I'm crying thanks to this post. Where's the video these gifs were from?

Zornack

The vicarious pleasure I got through Jeff calling BS on Brad's double standards regarding the PvZ/Titanfall debate was great.

It simply came down to brad enjoying a shooter type game that was not dressed up in the normal way (ie military dudes with guns, etc) but then he tried to make up some bull about it not being a shooter to justify it, just to be a contrarian.

I don't agree at all. Brad's point was that in games like TF2 and horde modes there's more to do than lone wolf lt rt, which I agree with 100%.

Bradley Shoemaker doubling down on a dumb argument for the sake of being a contrarian? Surely, you jest.

Brad didn't have a dumb argument. Jeff took Brad's preference of a game type and mixed it with his hatred for ME3 to come to the conclusion that Brad wanted to play Garden Warfare for months and never touch Titanfall, which isn't even close to what he said.

Aaron

I don't agree at all. Brad's point was that in games like TF2 and horde modes there's more to do than lone wolf lt rt, which I agree with 100%.
Even in TF2's horde mode, each class has a specific role, and everyone needs to do their part as a team, rather than just gunning down whatever, to pass the harder waves.You can't play it COD style.

RPS37

All the giant bomb videos are saying I need an html5 browser on my iPhone/iPad.
But I'm in an html5 browser. Anyone else have the same problem? What gives?

All the giant bomb videos are saying I need an html5 browser on my iPhone/iPad.
But I'm in an html5 browser. Anyone else have the same problem? What gives?
Think I saw a tweet from the gb twitter today saying theres something wrong with iOS access to the videos

Zebetite

Banned
The comment Jeff was kind of making at 13:35 of that Warehouse Simulator QL along with some of the comments he made in the podcast following Ryan's passing really make you wonder how much longer he may continue doing this. But who knows. Could be reading too much into it all.

If this sort of thing was the case, I'm pretty sure Vinny would know a whole lot more about it than we do. And in that case, I'm not sure Vinny would be laughing along with it.

pronk420

despite brad's insistence that the black phantoms aren't entertaining and just waste everyone times I think its hilarious, even more so because of how salty he gets.

the poison/breaky cloud/scrapey guy was delicious

Fheonix

Neo Member
Wow... Seems like there needs to be some hugs in the Giant Bomb offices this week. Not heard Brad & Jeff go at each other like that before!

despite brad's insistence that the black phantoms aren't entertaining and just waste everyone times I think its hilarious, even more so because of how salty he gets.

the poison/breaky cloud/scrapey guy was delicious

I especially enjoy how in his quest to move on and provide actual entertainment he runs around an NPC for 10 minutes asking if he should talk to him or maybe attack him but I shouldn't attack him but ask the chat but if I do maybe he kills me but maybe he drops something but maybe it locks me out of something later but maybe the other thing that unlocks only unlocks after you kill him but maybe he shows up later I remember reading things on the internet and I would hate to miss three more pieces of some stone I'll never-ever use ever.

pronk420

I especially enjoy how in his quest to move on and provide actual entertainment he runs around an NPC for 10 minutes asking if he should talk to him or maybe attack him but I shouldn't attack him but ask the chat but if I do maybe he kills me but maybe he drops something but maybe it locks me out of something later but maybe the other thing that unlocks only unlocks after you kill him but maybe he shows up later I remember reading things on the internet and I would hate to miss three more pieces of some stone I'll never-ever use ever.

yeah that was pretty painful

the other thing is that he pretty much always ignores the archstone and just runs into the next level after he defeats a boss. I don't actually know if it matters but i wonder if you don't touch the archstone (so it has never been touched) and then die, can you warp to it?

the part where he
beat penetrator and then ran into 1-4 and started agro-ing the black phantoms with like 40000 souls and not having touched the archstone had me wincing with souls induced stress

Zaph

I'm still waiting for Simulator Simulator 2014.

You have to navigate your way to the local shops and buy the game of your choice while fighting off old German men who are also on their way to get the latest Simulator game. Americans will be so confused when they're at the cashier and have to use Chip & Pin for the first time.

LordCanti

The guy with the
scraping spear and acid cloud in
Demon's Souls...lolllllll.

Once you're raking in souls it hardly matters, but it is definitely funny to watch. People doing it to low level people are pretty damn shitty though.

LiK

So they had both versions of Thief and still did the QL on the worst version? For shame.

I was really curious about the PS4 version since Jeff mentioned you can only swipe the touchpad for the menu? That isn't true right? Wish they played the PS4 version for a bit.

So after several episodes of yelling together with Brad at the scraping spear bastards I was suddenly wondering. Why is using the scraping spear all OMG WTF YOU CHEAP PIECE OF NO-LIFE FUCK-worthy, but Brad's super sword that kills most things in one hit is totally fine?

Destroying Brad's weapon seems like a completely valid strategy when fighting against him. Also I call bullshit on "But then you have to repair it" being a real issue, because you're talking about a game that makes you run through the entire level again if you die. Having to press three extra buttons before you can get back into the level is nothing.

LordCanti

So after several episodes of yelling together with Brad at the scraping spear bastards I was suddenly wondering. Why is using the scraping spear all OMG WTF YOU CHEAP PIECE OF NO-LIFE FUCK-worthy, but Brad's super sword that kills most things in one hit is totally fine?

Destroying Brad's weapon seems like a completely valid strategy when fighting against him. Also I call bullshit on "But then you have to repair it" being a real issue, because you're talking about a game that makes you run through the entire level again if you die. Having to press three extra buttons before you can get back into the level is nothing.

It's a legitimate strategy, it was just kind of bullshit when Brad was very low level and the soul cost to repair was relatively exorbitant (that guy was specifically built and leveled to be as big of an asshole as possible). At the level he is now, it's fine. It was really funny to watch and had a great conclusion.

ultron87

The thing about Souls games usually is that dying isn't a big deal, because you come back and can go pick your souls up. You learn the levels and they have enough shortcuts that running through it again typically isn't a big deal. So if someone invades and kills you it is a one and done thing.

What the Scraping Spear does is adds an additional soul debt on top of that because repairing an entire outfit's worth of equipment can be pretty expensive depending on where you're at in the game. Brad was pretty early on when that happened so the few thousand souls to repair seemed like a lot. Also, when you get killed by the spear you're respawning with 0 souls, so to repair you either need to use some one-shot soul items or cobble together a back up set of gear to go get your dropped souls/farm some up. It turns getting invaded from a "oh darn, he killed me, okay back to it!" to (if you're a new player) "oh darn, he killed me and now I have this stupid mess to deal with for some amount of time". The person that killed you with the spear doesn't get anything out of this besides the troll-ey satisfaction that they're putting an unnecessary annoyance on another player.

Because this is not exactly a competitive game. I

There's nothing wrong with the scraping spear. It's a valid tactic as part of the game mechanics. As you can see, even broken his weapon was still wrecking. The Souls series is about presenting you a challenge and having the player solve the problem. "My gear is broken, now what?" Figure it out, you're a big boy, now.

Ugh the constant seeking reassurance and indecisiveness really kills this series for me, I love the Souls games despite never having played them properly, I want to experience the game and the lore but watching Brad play is tough.

I hope any DS2 content GB do that Vinny is in the driving seat.

LordCanti

Because this is not exactly a competitive game. I

It is. A lot of streamers just choose not to play it that way for some reason. Jeff Green, Brad, Vinny, etc.

Half the fun is riding dirty in human form and seeing what shenanigans are going to come your way. After you've beaten the game, pretty much the only fun left is PVP.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

It was really shitty at the start, when he had virtually no souls for repairing.

Also you're talking about PvE vs PvP where there are obviously differences. Crescent falchion is not the best PvP despite being pretty good PvE.

Also it's entirely based on use. Scraping is good against turtlers but if it's a newbie who has no idea about any of that it's obvious that it's just being used for trolling.

Ugh the constant seeking reassurance and indecisiveness really kills this series for me, I love the Souls games despite never having played them properly, I want to experience the game and the lore but watching Brad play is tough.

I hope any DS2 content GB do that Vinny is in the driving seat.

It kills me that he has to confirm everything rather than experience it. I thought he was actually going to get to Allant, and possibly figure out the boss for himself. Sadly, he saved it and 1000 people are going to tell him exactly how to do the fight over tumblr.

LordCanti

So is not a obligatory gameplay mechanic.

In the same way that you don't have to interface with a lot of mechanics in a lot of games I guess. The experience is enriched through doing it though. I've had an immense amount of fun getting invaded/invading and seeing what goes down.

Zaph

I've always wondered, with all the 'we must have multiplayer'/'always online'/'please don't trade this game in' tactics publishers have tried, why haven't more developers tried implementing the multiplayer gameplay seen in Souls series (instead of just shoehorning TDM)?

It extends the life of the SP campaign, gives people something to do afterwards, creates tension etc etc. Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't think of a single other game that's tried it.

I've always wondered, with all the 'we must have multiplayer'/'always online'/'please don't trade this game in' tactics publishers have tried, why haven't more developers tried implementing the multiplayer gameplay seen in Souls series (instead of just shoehorning TDM)?

It extends the life of the SP campaign, gives people something to do afterwards, creates tension etc etc. Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't think of a single other game that's tried it.

It's not the same. You can't 'party' with your friends and all go play Souls... I feel it works so well with souls because, even though it's multiplayer, it still very much so feels like a single player experience.

Though I would like to see more games experiment with similar multiplayer.

Bradley Shoemaker doubling down on a dumb argument for the sake of being a contrarian? Surely, you jest.

Bad choice of words on Brad's point, but Jeff would just not accept that Horde type MP scratches a different itch than team deathmatch. Jeff didn't even bother to argue, he just laughed at him.

Listening to the Bombcast, I love Vinny's rambling, convoluted, and nonsensical explanations of video game stories that have gone on longer than they probably should. His "explanation" of DBZ in that Quick Look was great as well.

The comment Jeff was kind of making at 13:35 of that Warehouse Simulator QL along with some of the comments he made in the podcast following Ryan's passing really make you wonder how much longer he may continue doing this. But who knows. Could be reading too much into it all.

That's awfully dramatic. It was obviously a joke.

dan2026

There seems to be a lot of barely repressed hostility between Brad and Jeff, I seem to notice this more and more every podcast.

Feels like they are one step away from blows half the time, what on earth is going on between those two?

You've answered half of your own question by taking on board a comment someone made almost immediately after his best friend had prematurely passed away.

erawsd

There seems to be a lot of barely repressed hostility between Brad and Jeff, I seem to notice this more and more every podcast.

Feels like they are one step away from blows half the time, what on earth is going on between those two?

Thats almost always been there as far as I could tell. They're both stubborn about their opinions, so they butt heads occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom