• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find the lizard thing funny. If Vinny would be playing all of you would love it. He has a similar style anyway.

People are more annoyed because it's Brad - it's tiresome.

Did you even watch LoLS, Vinny just got stuck in even if he died constantly, Brad is indecisive and seeks reassurance for every decision from Vinny who trolls the hell out of him.

I'm not more annoyed because it's Brad, I am annoyed because he is too afraid to make a decision for himself.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
When Brad has been known for dismissing other opinions (even this week) about what other people have experienced?

Good. It was easy for him. I'm happy for him. But he has a tendency to make declarative statements about what he just experienced that make people upset.

Well, did he say to other people "Yeah that was fucking easy you guys are just fucking pussies." or was it just that comment saying that he found it easy? I feel like I'm missing something because I don't get the outrage.

Also which opinions did he dismiss? Again I feel like I'm just missing something.

Well, did he say to other people "Yeah that was fucking easy you guys are just fucking pussies." or was it just that comment saying that he found it easy? I feel like I'm missing something because I don't get the outraged.

Also which opinions did he dismiss? Again I feel like I'm just missing something.

Unless I completely misunderstood it, what Brad said wasn't "Penetrator was easy because Biorr was here", it was "Biorr did all the work, but whatever the boss didn't seem that hard anyway."

The second one being a weird thing to say about a boss you didn't even fight.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Well, did he say to other people "Yeah that was fucking easy you guys are just fucking pussies." or was it just that comment saying that he found it easy? I feel like I'm missing something because I don't get the outraged.

Well this week's podcast had a little spat and Jeff didn't start it from my point of view.

derFeef

Well, did he say to other people "Yeah that was fucking easy you guys are just fucking pussies." or was it just that comment saying that he found it easy? I feel like I'm missing something because I don't get the outrage.

I think he means the PvZ argument, in which case I feel like people also got hung up on because it was Brad. It was his opinion and Jeff did not really have an argument there, or did not want to understand what Brad means. Imo it was Jeff dismissing Brad's argument - not vice versa.

Antiwhippy

Unless I completely misunderstood it, what Brad said wasn't "Penetrator was easy because Biorr was here", it was "Biorr did all the work, but whatever the boss didn't seem that hard anyway."

The second one being a weird thing to say about a boss you didn't even fight.

I can't remember it entirely either, but if it's the second one then yeah I agree that it's weird, but it's more about him being misinformed due to lack of experience more than anything really, which is why I don't understand why it makes people angry.

Well this week's podcast had a little spat and Jeff didn't start it from my point of view.

From my point of view jeff massively misconstrued what brad said and extended it beyond what either of them probably wanted (I mean, how the fuck do you get "play for months" when the guy just recently said "play for one or two more weeks"), but to be fair it was poorly worded by brad from the start. He wasn't trying to dismiss jeff's opinions (if anything it was jeff really), he was just stating what he liked.

In other words, people tend to get upset about how Brad feels about games. Good going, people.

What?

The moments this thread generally gets upset about are Brad saying "I held the grab button down until the grip meter ran out and then I fell down, what the hell is this shit?"

That's a tiny bit different than getting upset about his opinions.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
From my point of view jeff massively misconstrued what brad said and extended it beyond what either of them probably wanted (I mean, how the fuck do you get "play for months" when the guy just recently said "play for one or two more weeks"), but to be fair it was poorly worded by brad from the start. He wasn't trying to dismiss jeff's opinions (if anything it was jeff really), he was just stating what he liked.

Jeff gave fair warning last week that he was tired of people shitting on COD. Brad was going off about the 'left stick, right stick' when even in the quicklook he was doing that with his 'class'

Antiwhippy

I mean, it's a fucking dumb argument anyway, but his point wasn't "left stick, right stick" as much as it is that the classes in PvZ give you more options than "shoot the enemy". Which is reductive but rings true for me too.

Also should we really care about people shitting on games jeff likes? How many other popular games have jeff shitted on already? Remember yoshi island and nights? If he can't deal with that (I also don't think he really cares about other people shitting on COD, his thing last week was more about saying they like titanfall while dismissing COD) he shouldn't dish it out either.

LackingSaint

Neo Member

I think the point was that Brad was saying a game like PvZ: Garden Warfare was "far more appealing" to him than a game like TitanFall, when the reality is he's probably going to spend just as much time- if not more- with TitanFall than PvZ: Garden Warfare.

Antiwhippy

Would he? I don't think it's a guarantee at all. Mostly because it'll just eat away at his dark souls II and dota time.

I don't really think titanfall would be something he's into.

pronk420

the other thing is that he pretty much always ignores the archstone and just runs into the next level after he defeats a boss. I don't actually know if it matters but i wonder if you don't touch the archstone (so it has never been touched) and then die, can you warp to it?

the part where he
beat penetrator and then ran into 1-4 and started agro-ing the black phantoms with like 40000 souls and not having touched the archstone had me wincing with souls induced stress

i'm not sure if this is what brad is referring to in the souls video (circa 40 minutes), i don't really understand what he's saying about the archstones.

the point i was trying to make is that potentially if you don't touch the archstone after beating a boss, it might not be 'activated', having never been touched, and so next time you die you might respawn at the previous level's archstone and not even be able to warp to the new one from the nexus, meaning you would have to run the level all over again to get back to the archstone after the boss.

so if you beat penetrator and then went on into 1-4 and died, then you would have to run all they way through 1-3 to get back to your souls.

i'm not even sure that this is how it works, and quite possibly it doesn't, but brad does this at every boss (runs on beyond the archstone without touching it) and it stresses me out like crazy lol. like you could just touch it and then cancel the option to warp to the nexus.

demidar

i'm not sure if this is what brad is referring to in the souls video (circa 40 minutes), i don't really understand what he's saying about the archstones.

the point i was trying to make is that potentially if you don't touch the archstone after beating a boss, it might not be 'activated', having never been touched, and so next time you die you might respawn at the previous level's archstone and not even be able to warp to the new one from the nexus, meaning you would have to run the level all over again to get back to the archstone after the boss.

so if you beat penetrator and then went on into 1-4 and died, then you would have to run all they way through 1-3 to get back to your souls.

i'm not even sure that this is how it works, and quite possibly it doesn't, but brad does this at every boss (runs on beyond the archstone without touching it) and it stresses me out like crazy lol. like you could just touch it and then cancel the option to warp to the nexus.

When you die, it jumps you back to the previous archstone level-wise. That is, if you spawned in 1-3, went back one room to the end of 1-2 and died there, you'll respawn at the 1-2 archstone.

pronk420

When you die, it jumps you back to the previous archstone level-wise. That is, if you spawned in 1-3, went back one room to the end of 1-2 and died there, you'll respawn at the 1-2 archstone.

right but what i'm not sure about is if the archstones need to be 'activated' by touching them for the first time?

like if he spawns at 1-2 (phalanx archstone) beats tower knight, doesn't touch the 1-3 archstone at all, runs into 1-3 and dies somewhere in 1-3, where will he respawn?

i've tried googling on the internet and all i can find is that you will respawn at the 'nearest' one, which clearly isn't true if you die in 1-1 outside the phalanx door, never having defeated phalanx. what i'm wondering is, is it defeating the boss that 'activates' the archstone, or is it touching it for the first time?

i also wonder do you still get the boss soul if you die before you pick it up?

i expect i'm just being overly cautious, and it would seem like common sense that you would respawn at 1-3 in the situation above. but then given some of the evil stuff demon's souls does (like losing items forever if you can't find space to pick them up after you tried once), you can't really expect it to behave like other games, and i wouldn't really be surprised either way.

i'm not throwing a hissy fit i'm just genuinely wondering about the mechanics of the game, and I'm guessing this isn't something brad has considered. given how upset he gets about the lizards, if he missed out on getting a boss soul the meltdown would be pretty great.

Zaph

At this point? That's the best thing about Brad. Everytime he does anything the chat explodes with tears of anger.
It's pretty funny. You'd think by now people would know Brad's play style and watch accordingly.

Personally, I don't find Breaking Brad Demon Soul's interesting to watch because it just feels like a protracted play through. Older BB's, like CoD and Volgarr, felt truer to the spirit of the feature by having short, repetitive runs - and waiting for Brad to 'break'.

Really hoping for DS2 content with Vinny in the driver's seat.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
It's pretty funny. You'd think by now people would know Brad's play style and watch accordingly.

Personally, I don't find Breaking Brad Demon Soul's interesting to watch because it just feels like a protracted play through. Older BB's, like CoD and Volgarr, felt truer to the spirit of the feature by having short, repetitive runs - and waiting for Brad to 'break'.

I still enjoy Brad getting 'broken' in this run - like getting killed repeatedly to that samurai skeleton last night.

Fox318

Is Endurance Run dead?

Its been over 2 years and at this point I wonder if they have just decided to replace it with Dark Souls and what ever Patrick does for the week.

Jarlaxle

I think he means the PvZ argument, in which case I feel like people also got hung up on because it was Brad. It was his opinion and Jeff did not really have an argument there, or did not want to understand what Brad means. Imo it was Jeff dismissing Brad's argument - not vice versa.

I agree. It was pretty funny to listen to because I feel like Jeff is constantly shitting on all types of games that others like and once Brad mentions that he's tired of a certain type of gameplay that Jeff actually happens to like, Jeff gets all upset about trying to defend the merits of said game type. I was laughing pretty hard. Jeff overcomplicated the argument.

popo

The chat gets to complain live - it used to be amusing when ER comments would be "you should do this and do that" oblivious to the idea that the episode was likely filmed at the beginning of the week and they were way past that part.

Is Endurance Run dead?

Its been over 2 years and at this point I wonder if they have just decided to replace it with Dark Souls and what ever Patrick does for the week.

They should just take the 2 5 hour DS stream and chop it up in to half hour segments and then put out one a day labelled as ER, instead of the usual archive. Then ask : Do you still want an Endurance Run?

Fox318

The Endurance Run is alive and well. They just changed its name and put it behind a paywall

Endurance Run was fun only because it was daily. It forced the crew to have to play the same game without a break.

I know they are shot on staff and I wouldn't be surprised if they start to merge the site with Gamespot and start closing giant bomb by the end of this year but its such a shame that the feature is dead.

If this was a few years ago they would have done a run of Ride to Hell: Retribution or another game with a crazy or dumb story.

newjeruse

I like it because it's basically a live endurance run of an insane game. And Brad and Vinny are awesome (unless Brad is on a GOTY podcast).

And man, Demon's Souls. Do you know the type of conviction a developer needs to design a game like that? From Software had no business having the nerve to put out the game they did at the time they did for the console they did. What vision and courage.

Endurance Run was fun only because it was daily. It forced the crew to have to play the same game without a break.

I know they are shot on staff and I wouldn't be surprised if they start to merge the site with Gamespot and start closing giant bomb by the end of this year but its such a shame that the feature is dead.

If this was a few years ago they would have done a run of Ride to Hell: Retribution or another game with a crazy or dumb story.

Ride to Hell is not Deadly Premonition, quality wise.

Fox318

Deadly premonition is stupidly wacky

Ride to hell is garbage in a distilled form

The best quick looks gave been garbage games. What could be better than watching the crew play through it. Plus if would give Alex a well deserved break from being the garbage man of the website.

Do we talk about Scoops and the Wolf here? Because I'm watching today's edition and OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL. Their conversation about DanganRonpa was excruciating. "holy fuck the principal is a bear HOW THE FUCK DOES ANYONE PLAY THIS SHIT YOU SHOULD BE EMBARRASSED." Meanwhile Wolfenstein is about an alternate reality 1960s where the Nazis have robots and superweapons, but that's totally normal and not at all weird. Donkey Kong has a fucking geriatric talking gorilla as a character. That's totally normal and not at all weird.

Yeah, DanganRonpa is supposed to be weird, and certain aspects of Patrick's critique are totally valid (ex. the voice acting, haven't played it but I know some people hate the English VA for some Japanese games) but there's this real stink of "oh fuck anime games that's so weeeeeeeird" that I really didn't expect from either Alex or Patrick, given the usual level of discourse. It was shockingly dismissive, especially on Alex's part.

Clockwork5

Jeff gave fair warning last week that he was tired of people shitting on COD. Brad was going off about left stick, right stick' when even in the quicklook he was doing that with his 'class'

So because Jeff is tired of people shitting on a franchise with a tired formula. He can tell Brad that PvZ is a bad game that he shouldnt enjoy, it has an inferior horde mode, it is the same thing as COD (which it is not), and that CoD offers a wealth of variety? Jeff doesnt even play CoD or like it, for that matter. Brad simply said that it was cool to see something different from the left trigger, right trigger; then gave examples of how it is not CoD and Jeff went off on him. It was gross. Jeff doesn't even like playing games anymore and it is apparent

Every single quicklook he shits on the game. I'm pretty much done with GB.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
So because Jeff is tired of people shitting on a franchise with a tired formula.
No, the rant was about people enjoying games like Titanfall for the exact same reasons others enjoy Call of Duty and he was pointing out how tired he is of that hipocrisy.
Just a justified #ThruthBullet.

Clockwork5

No, the rant was about people enjoying games like Titanfall for the exact same reasons others enjoy Call of Duty and he was pointing out hot tired he is of that hipocrisy.
Just a justified #ThruthBullet.

Brad said he liked PvZ more than Titanfall.

This had nothing to do with TF. Brad said PvZ was different from CoD, and that it was "more interesting to him" and Jeff got ugly about it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Brad said he liked PvZ more than Titanfall.

This had nothing to do with TF. Brad said PvZ was different from CoD, and that it was "more interesting to him" and Jeff got ugly about it.
I was talking about the "fair warning last week" part, I thought you were, too.

Teddified

Do we talk about Scoops and the Wolf here? Because I'm watching today's edition and OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL. Their conversation about DanganRonpa was excruciating. "holy fuck the principal is a bear HOW THE FUCK DOES ANYONE PLAY THIS SHIT YOU SHOULD BE EMBARRASSED." Meanwhile Wolfenstein is about an alternate reality 1960s where the Nazis have robots and superweapons, but that's totally normal and not at all weird. Donkey Kong has a fucking geriatric talking gorilla as a character. That's totally normal and not at all weird.

Yeah, DanganRonpa is supposed to be weird, and certain aspects of Patrick's critique are totally valid (ex. the voice acting, haven't played it but I know some people hate the English VA for some Japanese games) but there's this real stink of "oh fuck anime games that's so weeeeeeeird" that I really didn't expect from either Alex or Patrick, given the usual level of discourse. It was shockingly dismissive, especially on Alex's part.

Ugh, I was gonna watch it later, is it all kinda like that or can I just skip that part if it becomes unbearable?

justjim89

Damn it, my subscription ran out and I can't afford to renew for another year. Might have to double dip and buy a month subscription until I can afford another yearly one. So much of the good stuff on Giant Bomb is locked behind a paywall it's easy to forget.

bonercop

Ugh, I was gonna watch it later, is it all kinda like that or can I just skip that part if it becomes unbearable?

I don't think either were being very dismissive. they were just going on about how weird DanganRonpa is, which is 100% true and part of the appeal. I would not play a dangan ronpa without #truthbullets!

SummitAve

Banned

Not all weird is the same...

The best quick looks gave been garbage games. What could be better than watching the crew play through it. Plus if would give Alex a well deserved break from being the garbage man of the website.

Ride To Hell looks genuinely painful to play though. Deadly Premonition's story and characters kept me hooked in a way which let me (and I assume the 4 crew members) forgive the seemingly terrible gameplay.

I think the humour of RtH's shoddiness would only be funny for like 2 hours, then it would become a bit of a chore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom