• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm betting that will get a Patrick solo quick look or something, doesn't seem like it would be up any of the other guys' alleys (maybe Vinny).
Didn't a bunch of them love The Walking Dead?

Mr. F

Banned
Didn't a bunch of them love The Walking Dead?

I'm probably misremembering but I think Patrick and Ryan pushed Walking Dead a lot, I get the impression the others are indifferent toward Telltale stuff. I could be talking out my ass though, just get the feeling that if it hasn't gotten any acknowledgment from the guys now it'll likely get lost in the shuffle and forgotten.

LiK

I'm probably misremembering but I think Patrick and Ryan pushed Walking Dead a lot, I get the impression the others are indifferent toward Telltale stuff. I could be talking out my ass though, just get the feeling that if it hasn't gotten any acknowledgment from the guys now it'll likely get lost in the shuffle and forgotten.

You're misremembering. They all loved TWD.

Xater

I'd say games designed completely around their story should probably be played to completion before you start judging them in full, :p

Well you can judge an episode by itself. especially if it is great.

I haven#t played it yet. Waiting for a Mac release or maybe if they also put it on PS4.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's like criticizing Memento or Pulp Fiction's style of narration when one's barely seen what it involved.

I'm merely talking about how it's being presented in the quick look. Of course I can't talk about how it'll wrap up in the end and if it'll make sense then. Even in the standalone scenes though like the combat training sequence, the narrative flow looks really stilted.

Vinny's commentary to Brad after chapter completions echoes exactly mine to my girlfriend well playing.

"I thought I would have gotten to the prologue by now"

"We're almost to the prologue"

Well you can judge an episode by itself. especially if it is great.

I haven#t played it yet. Waiting for a Mac release or maybe if they also put it on PS4.

Sure, alas Alex already said he'll wait until the finale to review it.

Maybe he could give it a push for best graphics or something. The style is gorgeous.

Mr. F

Banned
I know nothing about Beyond and only played the first few hours of Heavy Rain. Is there anything in Beyond that works mechanically like HR in the sense that certain actions would allegedly dead end certain story threads? I remember they made a big deal of "if your character dies that's that" or whatever for HR, and it was a pretty intriguing concept (whether or not it made good on it).

LiK

What really looks bad is the gameplay.

It's similar to Cage's previous games. If you didn't like those with a few more action sequences then you won't like this.

I know nothing about Beyond and only played the first few hours of Heavy Rain. Is there anything in Beyond that works mechanically like HR in the sense that certain actions would allegedly dead end certain story threads? I remember they made a big deal of "if your character dies that's that" or whatever for HR, and it was a pretty intriguing concept (whether or not it made good on it).

Nothing drastic like HR since this is about Jodie, but there are multiple endings.

StuBurns

Banned
Jodie (and Aiden) are the only playable characters, so in that sense, it's not the same, because in HR, you can have people die, and still make it till the last level. Jodie can die hours before 'the end', but you won't see the end if she does.

FluxWaveZ

Specifically regarding character death, there is not much like that in Beyond. I would say player decisions have an impact towards the game's world in Beyond similar to how it was handled in The Walking Dead: it's more of a linear path, but individual player experiences along that path can alter significantly.

There are some things in the Quick Look like Jodie's dialogue during The Interview or Jodie getting bit by the dogs that I hadn't experienced.

Also are people really frustrated at not having 'reached' the prologue? You do realise it's just the chronological position of the events in the prologue right? You are frustrated at the fact that the narrative doesn't progress forward in time in a linear way?

I was not frustrated, but it took me a rather long time to figure out that the "Prologue" wasn't actually something to be reached.

panda21

Oh wow that is frustrating to watch. Vinny repeatedly not being able to find her despite the giant sparkly purple line attaching you to her at all times is excruciating.

Also are people really frustrated at not having 'reached' the prologue? You do realise it's just the chronological position of the events in the prologue right? You are frustrated at the fact that the narrative doesn't progress forward in time in a linear way?

Aaron

It's similar to Cage's previous games. If you didn't like those with a few more action sequences then you won't like this.
I liked Indigo Prophecy, but Heavy Rain went too much in the 'barely a game' direction. There's no reason he has to stick in sequences that don't fit his style of storytelling. Then people telling story driven games feel compelled to keep doing this. The fight in Wolf Among Us was insulting to have to mull through.

I liked Indigo Prophecy, but Heavy Rain went too much in the 'barely a game' direction. There's no reason he has to stick in sequences that don't fit his style of storytelling. Then people telling story driven games feel compelled to keep doing this. The fight in Wolf Among Us was insulting to have to mull through.

Beyond goes even further into "barely a game", if you want to call it that. There are less points of interaction in the environment, and you have less influence on the story.

LiK

It's more of an adventure game. You just happen to be moving the characters and hitting QTEs instead of pointing and clicking with a mouse. I'm totally fine with that.

I really enjoyed the story and characters so if it's just an interactive experience like a VN then that's okay with me. Of course, not everyone will like Cage's games for that reason.

hamchan

I like how Rorie wears old shirts from companies he used to work for. Like on unpro friday he was wearing a Whiskey media shirt and sometimes I see him in Obsidian shirts and hoodies.

I like how Rorie wears old shirts from companies he used to work for. Like on unpro friday he was wearing a Whiskey media shirt and sometimes I see him in Obsidian shirts and hoodies.

Probably stuff that he got for free. I mean, he cuts his own hair, so I imagine there is an element of cheapness to Rorie.

Dragon

Banned
Probably stuff that he got for free. I mean, he cuts his own hair, so I imagine there is an element of cheapness to Rorie.

From a previous thread, I don't think he made much money working on screened.com. Guy probably makes the bare minimum for the San Fran area. His laugh still slays me though, dude is good people.

StuBurns

Banned
It's more of an adventure game. You just happen to be moving the characters and hitting QTEs instead of pointing and clicking with a mouse. I'm totally fine with that.

I really enjoyed the story and characters so if it's just an interactive experience like a VN then that's okay with me. Of course, not everyone will like Cage's games for that reason.
People would take that description as implying the game has puzzles.

There aren't any. It's more like interactive fiction.

LiK

People would take that description as implying the game has puzzles.

There aren't any. It's more like interactive fiction.

There are adventure games where puzzles hardly matter. Which is why I mentioned it could be taken as a VN as well.

popo

Alex played it and talked about it on Bombin' in the AM. Wouldn't surprise me if he will write a review.

He said he is going to write one when it is all out - like he did with TWD.

Frugality™

I think frugal is the world you're looking for.

An admirable trait. I don't think he goes as far as to be "cheap" which has negative conitations.

The hair cutting is a bit far but he bought the razor when he was unemployed and so why not get use out of it - although he should get a friend to do the back.

Rorie represents the poor everyman who trades games at gamespot and waits to buy new releases on the steam sale.

Jeff represents the baller pimp many aspire to. Rolling up to Best Buy in his Lexus Coup and saying "yo, gimme all your Skylanders. That's right - I said ALL of the them!". Buying lifetime access to MMOs and not playing them, 'cause he can.

Brad and Vinny are somewhere in the middle.

Dany

Banned
From what I saw Beyond seems like a more interesting game than heavy rain. How linear is it compared to heavy rain. Being able to interact with 20 objects in a house is not fun. Hopefully they fixed that.

LiK

From what I saw Beyond seems like a more interesting game than heavy rain. How linear is it compared to heavy rain. Being able to interact with 20 objects in a house is not fun. Hopefully they fixed that.
it's much more linear but there are a lot of optional things you can do and a few minor branching decisions that alter what scenes you get. There's definitely way less pointless things to do than like in HR. The optional stuff in Beyond definitely adds to the story but can be missed.

StuBurns

Banned
Patrick sounds borderline pissed off with this 'horror' game.

I wonder if he's actually playing it at like 10fps, or the stream was just screwed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom