• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woah, that was kind of cool to see in the Beyond quick look that she went through the motorcade and proceeded to cause utter chaos. In my game I got arrested and had a completely different event transpire. Game is quite cool, enjoyed going through it. Had some typical moments where Cage chose to make some pretty silly story decisions but in general the writing and performances were improved tenfold and it's just fun to play through. Messing around as Aiden is amusing and the gameplay as Jodie is actually quite varied.

It's completely a game and it's very fun to play. Very much the evolution of old adventure titles with far more actual control.

Kerned

Banned
I for one am happy that Vinny got shown a shortcut.

Me too. That sort of stuff is part of what makes Dark Souls special. The same thing could have happened had he not been streaming his game, so I think it's totally legit and doesn't take away from the experience (his or ours).

Bedlam

Me too. That sort of stuff is part of what makes Dark Souls special. The same thing could have happened had he not been streaming his game, so I think it's totally legit and doesn't take away from the experience (his or ours).
That's true.

But still, I'd rather see Vinny beat the remaining two or three bosses by himself.

edit: Oh wait, Bed of Chaos... that's going to be interesting to watch.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I don't think the show would be fun to watch if it just boiled down to co-op ghosts practically playing the game for him.

Pimpn Drop Bear

Neo Member
I havent seen the latest part of vinnys dark souls feature, but the passive agressive remarks between ian and matt rory were keeping it entertaining haha. Not said explicitly but I always interpreted it as stuff l ike "you can you left here for a shortcut." "Yeah, but if you go left you miss the ring of azmodan" "yeah but if you get the ring of azmodan you can blah blah" "yeah but if you blah blah you cant bling bling" etc etc haha

Patrick's really strong, dismissive comments about Oculus Rift being used for shooters like TF2 seemed a bit weird to me, especially given he went on to say he hadn't tried it. The immersion that the rift brings can be used for many different types of games, and the feeling of being able to look around while aiming separately is really incredible. Being able to see that Gordon has shoulders was something special. Especially given he went on to say he hadn't tried it. Just don't feel any of the Rift games he's shown outside of Alone have done anything particularly mindblowing outside of the Rift's very important advantage of immersion, and that is something that isn't exclusive to horror games. Although of course the connection in often stronger in the horror games because of the very strong feelings presented. In any case the Rift in general is incredible, should ask him to try Vorpx.

I hope giantbomb gives Democracy 3 a go, would be amusing to see them destroy the world.

I played through the entirety of Dark Souls, and the DLC, running super heavy armor like Vinny. It works great right till the final boss, at which point you are fucked. Bed of Chaos is going to be really interesting to watch, and the last fight might just break him. I really hope they pick up the DLC too, there's so many amazing moments in there.

LiK

I played through the entirety of Dark Souls, and the DLC, running super heavy armor like Vinny. It works great right till the final boss, at which point you are fucked. Bed of Chaos is going to be really interesting to watch, and the last fight might just break him. I really hope they pick up the DLC too, there's so many amazing moments in there.

Bed of Chaos will be hilarious to watch. Sorry Vinny.

K.Sabot

Yeugh I hate having to miss Load our Last Souls and not being able to load up some sort of archive.

I hate waiting for it to be uploaded.

Jams775

I wish people (especially Ian and Rorie) would just shut up about if they should lead him or not. It's up to Vinny. Same goes for summoning help. If he wants to cheese it, its a part of the game and his choice. He's the one playing not us. Dark Souls seems like the kind of game everyone thinks should be played the way they played it.

Just let Vinny play how he wants. If he wants to cheese certain bosses that's his prerogative (Bobby Brown dance moves).

DoctorZ

Is Vinny gonna play the DLC?

Can he without starting a new character? I remember someone in chat a few episodes ago saying he'd have to restart, but I wasn't sure if they were right. I never got the DLC on PS3 and started a new playthrough on PC.

demidar

Can he without starting a new character? I remember someone in chat a few episodes ago saying he'd have to restart, but I wasn't sure if they were right. I never got the DLC on PS3 and started a new playthrough on PC.

Yes, or at least I assume you can. The DLC plugs in like an external module, not interwoven throughout the original game. Everything new is clearly sectioned off from the main game and exists in its own little world, but obviously you have to do it before beating the final boss.

LordCanti

Oh man, Vinny is so over leveled. He
one and done'd the four kings and barely got injured, using almost no tactic other than blocking and standing/swinging.

eot

Banned
one and done'd the four kings and barely got injured, using almost no tactic other than blocking and standing/swinging.

No, it's just the nature of that fight. Having high poise and high DPS is the easiest way to beat it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Nah, that is the best way to do that battle. Get your DPS as high as possible, then go havel and iron body.

Bedlam

No, it's just the nature of that fight. Having high poise and high DPS is the easiest way to beat it.
He's still right... Vinny is overleveled. But I guess that's just the way some people play this game. Though to be fair, From has increased the souls amount so much via patches, it's really easy to outlevel the content now and remove any challenge from the game. I feel like the balance was better in vanilla DS.

I mean, has he beaten any boss with proper tactics yet, by learning the boss' attack patterns and reacting accordingly?

LordCanti

Nah, that is the best way to do that battle. Get your DPS as high as possible, then go havel and iron body.

I remember being a similar build (but lower leveled) and getting pretty wrecked. He never got grab attacked for some reason, so maybe that was the difference. Either way, he is probably twice the level I was when I did this content, even if him being over leveled wasn't specifically why that fight went the way it did.

popo

He's still right... Vinny is overleveled. But I guess that's just the way some people play this game. Though to be fair, From has increased the souls amount so much via patches, it's really easy to outlevel the content now and remove any challenge from the game. I feel like the balance was better in vanilla DS.

I mean, has he beaten any boss with proper tactics yet, by learning the boss' attack patterns and reacting accordingly?

He seems to be having fun so who cares if he used proper tactics. There is no "right" way to play. Some people will get satisfaction by repeating the fight until they feel they "earned" the victory, some will just get frustrated.

He doesn't seem that OP. He has very high strength but his vitality and endurance is low. Doesn't look like he grinded much, from all the rings and stuff he seems to have explored a lot of optional areas, either naturally or guide assisted. He is just lucky that he can compensate with havels ring and some heavy armour.

Bedlam

He seems to be having fun so who cares if he used proper tactics. There is no "right" way to play. Some people will get satisfaction by repeating the fight until they feel they "earned" the victory, some will just get frustrated.

He doesn't seem that OP. He has very high strength but his vitality and endurance is low. Doesn't look like he grinded much, from all the rings and stuff he seems to have explored a lot of optional areas, either naturally or guide assisted. He is just lucky that he can compensate with havels ring and some heavy armour.
I didn't mean to say that he should play differently. It's certainly a more enjoyable feature to watch with the way he's going through the game. I'm even somewhat glad he summoned help for Seath because because otherwise he'd probably still be running through the Crytal Caves next week.

My comment was rather directed at the people who wondered why they had such a hard time with the Four Kings while Vinny beat them on his first try. It all depends in what shape you arrive at a boss; both equipment- and level-wise. The same boss can be tough as nails or easy as shit in Dark Souls.

Hmm, he really doesn't have much left then if he doesn't spring for the DLC.
I wonder if they will tell him about Gwyndolin before he finishes the game.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
They changed the amount of souls you get? I'm about where Vinny is, never grinded, just thought alot about my gear and what to update and never really lost souls, because I got back to where I died and I'm just flying through the content right now. It feels almost like cheating.

BearPawB

Banned
They changed the amount of souls you get? I'm about where Vinny is, never grinded, just thought alot about my gear and what to update and never really lost souls, because I got back to where I died and I'm just flying through the content right now. It feels almost like cheating.

The secret is that the hardest part of dark souls is the first 5 hours. And that is mainly due to inexperience. The game is not as hard as people have built it up to be. Don't get me wrong. You will die. But death is pretty softly penalized compared to demons souls.

demidar

Just finished Volgarr the Viking, I now want to see Brad suffer through the same things I've suffered through.

That true final level is a bitch though :/

Serra

I hope Vinny does buy and play the DLC before they kill the final boss.

Load Our Last Souls is probably my favorite 'current' piece of content but it drives me crazy when Rorie and Ian say things that are just incorrect.

Kerned

Banned
I hope Vinny does buy and play the DLC before they kill the final boss.

Load Our Last Souls is probably my favorite 'current' piece of content but it drives me crazy when Rorie and Ian say things that are just incorrect.

You better start watching with the sound off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom