• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I was just joking based off their conversation at the end of Unprofessional Fridays about how he feels Half-Life 2 is overrated. But to your point hopefully it's just Jeff that feels that way otherwise the GOTY podcasts will be kind of boring.

Boring? The lack of a clear candidate is just going to open the door for Brad to filibuster Brothers to victory.

def sim

izGObTtErbjOi.png

I get the feeling this game is satire.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
yes

honestly, I feel if any game defined 2013 it's that one, but obviously it has fuck-all chance of winning given a) only Brad plays it and b) TLoU and GTA came out

I think TLOU will get the shaft unfortunately. Brad and Jeff have clearly soured on the game for reasons that don't make a ton of sense to me honestly. It's certainly their right and maybe I'll be wrong, but it seems a shame to ignore one of the best games of the generation.

bjork

I don't think there was a game they were universal on so far. Closest thing is probably SR4.

I want their GOTY segments to be set in an Animal Crossing town. Jeff chasing beetles, villagers wondering where Mayor Brad went, Vinny casually shooting a dog villager in the head, and Drew... telling Kapp'n about the merits of headtracking while sailing a ship?

I think TLOU will get the shaft unfortunately. Brad and Jeff have clearly soured on the game for reasons that don't make a ton of sense to me honestly. It's certainly their right and maybe I'll be wrong, but it seems a shame to ignore one of the best games of the generation.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with that. I think it's because they all started playing it around the time Ryan died, so playing it might rekindle unpleasant memories; but even this, I feel, is not a valid reason to refrain from playing the game months later. They need to play this game before the end of the year.

I don't think there was a game they were universal on so far. Closest thing is probably SR4.

I want their GOTY segments to be set in an Animal Crossing town. Jeff chasing beetles, villagers wondering where Mayor Brad went, Vinny casually shooting a dog villager in the head, and Drew... telling Kapp'n about the merits of headtracking while sailing a ship?

Or they could just do them in Second Life.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with that. I think it's because they all started playing it around the time Ryan died, so playing it might rekindle unpleasant memories; but even this, I feel, is not a valid reason to refrain from playing the game months later. They need to play this game before the end of the year.

Personally I think it was manufactured into an issue by their community. After Ryan's death I saw so many posts here, on GB, on twitter about "wow, I dunno if they'll ever be able to handle playing TLOU!" It's such a nonissue in my opinion. I honestly can't think of a reason why it's become a problem for them other than that they were steered that way by idiots.

You guys seem to have forgotten the state of the Bombcast last November/December, when all discussion revolved around the games they were catching up on.

Personally I think it was manufactured into an issue by their community. After Ryan's death I saw so many posts here, on GB, on twitter about "wow, I dunno if they'll ever be able to handle playing TLOU!" It's such a nonissue in my opinion. I honestly can't think of a reason why it's become a problem for them other than that they were steered that way by idiots.

Yeah, maybe. In any case, it certainly would be very weird for a video game website to not include such an acclaimed game in their end-of-the-year deliberations. It is clearly a game worthy of several awards, or at least, of being nominated for them. Sidestepping it would almost feel... unprofessional, maybe ? Or not. I'm not sure. I think it would be weird though. It would feel lacking.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
You guys seem to have forgotten the state of the Bombcast last November/December, when all discussion revolved around the games they were catching up on.

It's not so much an issue of it needing to be caught up on, but more about the clear disdain Brad and Jeff have about the prospect of doing so. I just don't get the impression that the game will be given a fair shot.

Maybe I'm wrong though. I'm open to that possibility.

Zero_

I think that's a valid reason (if it is the reason). It is their own personal top 10 and even for the site, it's subjective. They've always been a site that hasn't been afraid to challenge the status quo, so they won't be afraid to not give TLoU GOTY when everyone else is - hell this is a site that almost gave GOTY to Saints Row 3.

I would not have anything against the guys if the game was overlooked during the GOTY stuff. The guys seem to have a sensible head on them as well, so even if it was omitted, they'd explain why.

StuBurns

Banned
I think that's a valid reason (if it is the reason). It is their own personal top 10 and even for the site, it's subjective. They've always been a site that hasn't been afraid to challenge the status quo, so they won't be afraid to not give TLoU GOTY when everyone else is - hell this is a site that almost gave GOTY to Saints Row 3.

I would not have anything against the guys if the game was overlooked during the GOTY stuff. The guys seem to have a sensible head on them as well, so even if it was omitted, they'd explain why.
There has been nothing daring or controversial about their GotY winners. In fact, Gamespot is far more daring, they gave Demon's Souls GotY.

I don't think GTA will win GOTY. It seems like they've largely viewed it as "a better one of those games." I get the sense that the excitement around GTA fell off a lot faster than previous games.

Fox318

So wait what's the majority now? Am I the only one who still loves Half-Life 2 now? Popular opinion sways so fast these days.

You are not the only one.

Its been so long since a half-life its getting hip to hate it and I believe that people are sick of talking about HL3 when there is nothing to talk about.

No_Style

So wait what's the majority now? Am I the only one who still loves Half-Life 2 now? Popular opinion sways so fast these days.

You're still the majority. But now with Jeff telling like it is, people like me are going to rally behind him because we no longer have to live in fear of being crushed by the HL2 crazies out there.

I've always believed the HL2 episodes were more entertaining than HL2.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I don't think he liked Bioshock Infinite that much. On his tumblr someone asked about this year's game of the year and he sad that he felt like a lot of good games have come out but that no game has made itself an obvious GOTY choice. Which leads me to believe he wouldn't think it's a game of the generation if he can't even feel confident if it is GOTY this year.

I think I should clarify what Jeff said, or at least the way I interpreted it.

matterless asked:Man. Bummer today's Watch Dogs announcement didn't make to bombcast. Totally understand from a business perspective, but real late in the game to push it back. Preorder numbers, maybe? It was the only retail game I was looking forward to this holiday and pretty much cements Infinite as my GOTY.
I might be with you on that, Infinite was a great game. I don’t know, Game of the Year this year seems weird. I feel like I usually have a couple of games fighting it out in my head at this point, but instead it’s a bunch of great games with none of them really feeling like they belong at the top.

I read it as "Infinite will probably win it so far, but none of the games released thus far feel like actual GOTY games.

I don't know I guess that's actually the same as what you said. Whaaatever then!

You're still the majority. But now with Jeff telling like it is, people like me are going to rally behind him because we no longer have to live in fear of being crushed by the HL2 crazies out there.

You're the crazy.

I think Half Life 2 is still a great game, but compared to the Episodes (Ep 2 especially) it doesn't hold up too well. One part I always refer to is how you take down Striders in HL2 proper compared to the ending sequence of Ep2, it's barely comparable. Taking them down with rockets was never particularly fun or exciting, the way you taken them down in Ep2 with the bombs is so much more fun and satisfying.

And yeah, it does drag in places, the fanboat part specifically. Still a fantastic game though.

LuchaShaq

Banned
It doesn't matter, it's the one mostly likely to reach a consensus.

Sadly, the superior TLoU will not get the time of day.

You mean the game that was more fun to watch than actually play?

Zombies are awful.

The moment to moment combat is at best boring and at worst broken.

You know, I understand the folks who say, "I really wish they'd give TLoU another shot, because I really enjoyed it and I'm sure they would too, if they'd just give it another chance!" You have a good experience with a game, you want others to have that experience, too.

But now it's "It's a shame they didn't play through TLoU, because they won't name it as their GOTY"? You know, I enjoyed the whole SR3 vs. Skyrim debate as much as anyone, but in the end... did it really even matter? GOTY awards mean absolutely nothing. The only reason it could matter would be if TLoU was some indie darling that would get a popularity boost out of being unexpectedly named as a site's GOTY, and that's definitely not the case.

Just remember: Giant Bomb's first GOTY was GTA4.

MonsterDunk

Giant Bomb eSports Editor
Guys, it should have been 100% obvious that Alexis’s comment about Youtube’s player sucking was made knowing full well that the GB player has problems. He’s not oblivious to it and the comment was just shy of knowing wink and nod to the camera.

If us joking about that crapped-up video player of ours is going to confuse people, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that no one realized that I only brought up Infinite because of that "second review" thing that GameSpot did. My fault on that, I guess.

Just remember: Giant Bomb's first GOTY was GTA4.

now i'm remembering some video or podcast where jeff seriously said that parts of gta4's story "hit too close to home" and without any context as to what parts i couldn't stop laughing

edit: i mean, it was funny in a cool way. don't break my legs

Defunkled

I can see Vinny, Patrick, and Drew arguing in favor of The Last of Us during the GOTY discussions. They all seemed to really like the game.

resogun's going to win because somebody like brad will love it and also because it sounds like the name of a KOF attack so jeff will vote for it on principle

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
If us joking about that crapped-up video player of ours is going to confuse people, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that no one realized that I only brought up Infinite because of that "second review" thing that GameSpot did. My fault on that, I guess.
Phew, I was really confused about that Infinite statement.

Also, Jeff is a Junior? Come on GAF.

edit: HEY JEFF MAKE VINNY PLAY "GOODBYE DEPONIA" PLEASE, THANKS.

StuBurns

Banned
now i'm remembering some video or podcast where jeff seriously said that parts of gta4's story "hit too close to home" and without any context as to what parts i couldn't stop laughing

edit: i mean, it was funny in a cool way. don't break my legs
If I remember correctly, he said he almost felt it was the best game ever made.

And GTA5 is massively better in every conceivable way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom