• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I think I'm really starting to become a big Drew fan. On Professional Friday's he usually has something pretty awesome to show. Well, it isn't always awesome, but he definitely brings in something different.

My favorite thing about him is that he's able to go REALLY DEEP into these games. Like making so many notes about radar stations or the proper procedures for starting up old aircraft he ends up with binders full of the stuff. You have to respect that. I certainly do and I wish I had his resolve and curiosity and thoroughness.

Even though I'm probably 20 years his senior, when I grow up I want to be just like Drewbert.

Zaph

Catching up on Unprofessional Fridays.

Alexis: "YouTube has the worst video player."

[IMG ]http://media.tumblr.com/201eeb8dbee34d6fb5dea877cb915978/tumblr_inline_muvnh6otk21qm6vza.gif[/IMG]
The look/smile made it pretty obvious that was a completely self aware comment.

Wait till you get to Shivering Isles was a bad expansion and Half-Life 2 wasn't even that good.

I understand that the majority of people out there view Half Life 2 on this pedestal, I just wish other people could understand that not everyone does. I just didnt find Half Life fun to play; unfortunately i cant explain why. As a result of that I did not think it was a great game. Having novel ideas and pushing boundaries for technology, I give it props for but this does not automatically make it a great game. We've seen this numerous times and another example i would bring up is crysis. These games are graphically astounding, but I found them boring to play.

So i agree with Jeff and when people show this ravenous excitement for the possibility of half life 3, i go meh.

*now runs and hides under a flame retardant suit to survive the onslaught

Jintor

HL2 is a weird case.

I never had the capacity at the time to appreciate how innovative HL1 and HL2 really were, but what I can tell you is that I always knew they were frankly amazing to play, and were always, in my mind, the absolute pinacle of level design. At least, I remember them as such.

Half Life 2 was a great game for its time. It and the first far cry... good times. But it was already pretty dated by the time the orange box came around which is when I think a lot of people played it.

The gravity gun is still just as good as ever though.

Fox318

I know right? The amount of sexism on the internet also drives me to drink, that's what you mean right? I'm going assume that because otherwise sad.
I'm not saying that there isn't sexism in the game industry or on the internet that isn't worth talking about but I think most people would agree that Patrick tends to crusade on that issue. If Giantbomb really wants to target social issues they need to have a more diverse staff. Its a boys club that hasn't ever hired a female writer and non of the other staffers seem to ever want to talk about it.

Plus Patrick seems like the only person who wants to target issues where as the rest of the staff cares more about what pizza topping is more rad.

Regardless Patrick made some very good points about the state of commentary on the internet but I don't think that censoring them no matter how stupid or bigoted they are is the solution. People will be stupid regardless of anything the internet does to try and sway that. I also tend to believe that the bad stories of the internet tend to be spoken more than the good. There are plenty of people who use the internet for good uses that go unnoticed. A good gesture never gets the same amount of attention as a car accident. Patrick I think addressed the positives of a connected community pretty well with people showing him support during the death of his father.

also for scoops

gKk0VcX.jpg

:p
Catching up on Unprofessional Fridays.

Alexis: "YouTube has the worst video player."

tumblr_inline_muvnh6otk21qm6vza.gif

zEOngXt.gif

Honestly the best feature of having a premium membership is that you always have the option of YouTube on the main site.

LCfiner

Guys, it should have been 100% obvious that Alexis’s comment about Youtube’s player sucking was made knowing full well that the GB player has problems. He’s not oblivious to it and the comment was just shy of knowing wink and nod to the camera.

that said… HTML5 player on Mac OS Safari. running 100% perfectly since they first offered it.

Yeah Alexis saying that is ridiculous considering that Youtube is pretty much the only thing that actually works on Giantbomb.

I dunno, youtube in general has been pretty shitty for me recently. Videos won't load, or they'll buffer forever, or the resolution options just won't work.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I think it's as hilarious and sincere as Will saying "have you ever used Youtube's Live Streaming? It suuuuucks" one week, and two weeks later, when they got 720p Live Streaming YouTube support and they're gonna use it for Octobercast streaming, he praises it as being beautiful and amazing.

This TED talk is boring, I'm not gonna finish it, and Patrick can't tie a tie for his life, I was paying more attention to the tie then what he was saying.

Megasoum

Banned
I think it's as hilarious and sincere as Will saying "have you ever used Youtube's Live Streaming? It suuuuucks" one week, and two weeks later, when they got 720p Live Streaming YouTube support and they're gonna use it for Octobercast streaming, he praises it as being beautiful and amazing.

Well yeah...it's Will Smith.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This TED talk is boring, I'm not gonna finish it, and Patrick can't tie a tie for his life, I was paying more attention to the tie then what he was saying.
come on, you should finish it, he gets his bearings around the half way point. It was a but rough, but his points were good. Shows just how much the casual off the cuff nature adds to the personality of GB. I swear there was a 2x4 up the back of that suit. But he did better than I ever would have and it was a really cool opportunity. So congrats to Patrick! He should have introduced himself as the writer of evil bong.

come on, you should finish it, he gets his bearings around the half way point. It was a but rough, but his points were good. Shows just how much the casual off the cuff nature adds to the personality of GB. I swear there was a 2x4 up the back of that suit. But he did better than I ever would have and it was a really cool opportunity. So congrats to Patrick! He should have introduced himself as the writer of evil bong.

Ah well alright, I guess I will!

FStop7

Banned
The GB player worked fine for me until around the beginning of this year. Then it completely fell apart. I was seeing buffering speeds of around 7 to 50 kilobytes per second on a 75 megabit FIOS connection. Around 2 months ago it started working pretty well again. It still stalls out from time to time, but if I reload the player it resumes almost immediately right from where I left off. That resume feature had also been broken for a while, which made things even more frustrating.

Mr. F

Banned
My biggest issue is that it straight up refuses to buffer past certain points. Also, every 10 minutes or so it'll skip back and repeat the last second before continuing.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
bets on which the chat would be screaming more for 18 hours straight: how to long jump, how to wall jump, or how to use the spin to get higher and change direction in mid-air

The spin is so essential that it's the one thing Brad won't realize until 8 hours into the game.

But even without knowing it he'll still get like 50 stars through sheer god damned determination.

Chuck

Still without luck
relistening to the Bombcast.

I wish they would move to 1080p AND increase the bit-rate. I like maximizing on my 1440p monitor and some of their videos don't look great. Also I don't like they do "low" "medium" "high" settings. we're so far beyond that at this point, it really seems like a thing that's 5 years old.

Mr. F

Banned
Finished UF. Good show.

JEFF GERSTMANN'S GAMES OF THE GENERATION

- Bioshock Infinite
- Rock Band 3
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
- Half-Life 2

NZNova

Hey guys, I'm having a hard time finding the first part of the new series with Vinny playing Dark Souls. I'm able to find parts 4, 3 and 2 but part 1 doesn't show up when I search for it. Anyone have a link? I'm just trying to download the HD versions locally so I can watch em later and I'd like to have the complete set.

relistening to the Bombcast.

I wish they would move to 1080p AND increase the bit-rate. I like maximizing on my 1440p monitor and some of their videos don't look great. Also I don't like they do "low" "medium" "high" settings. we're so far beyond that at this point, it really seems like a thing that's 5 years old.

Yeah...no. I love quality but the 720p 4Mbps 60fps videos kill me, I have 2Mb connection and it takes me half a day just to get a 2 hour video.

Don't take away old options just because you have a fast connection.

M3z_

Finished UF. Good show.

JEFF GERSTMANN'S GAMES OF THE GENERATION

- Bioshock Infinite
- Rock Band 3
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
- Half-Life 2

I don't think he liked Bioshock Infinite that much. On his tumblr someone asked about this year's game of the year and he sad that he felt like a lot of good games have come out but that no game has made itself an obvious GOTY choice. Which leads me to believe he wouldn't think it's a game of the generation if he can't even feel confident if it is GOTY this year.

demidar

Yeah...no. I love quality but the 720p 4Mbps 60fps videos kill me, I have 2Mb connection and it takes me half a day just to get a 2 hour video.

Don't take away old options just because you have a fast connection.

Same, my Internet is shit and will remain shit for a few years (thanks politicians, you cunts).

Mr. F

Banned
I don't think he liked Bioshock Infinite that much. On his tumblr someone asked about this year's game of the year and he sad that he felt like a lot of good games have come out but that no game has made itself an obvious GOTY choice. Which leads me to believe he wouldn't think it's a game of the generation if he can't even feel confident if it is GOTY this year.

I was just joking based off their conversation at the end of Unprofessional Fridays about how he feels Half-Life 2 is overrated. But to your point hopefully it's just Jeff that feels that way otherwise the GOTY podcasts will be kind of boring.

demidar

I was just joking based off their conversation at the end of Unprofessional Fridays about how he feels Half-Life 2 is overrated. But to your point hopefully it's just Jeff that feels that way otherwise the GOTY podcasts will be kind of boring.

Something can be overrated and still be GotY.

Yes it was World at War but it wasn't during a quicklook. They talked about it during the podcast and they posted the video of what happened while they were capturing video for, I assume, a potential video review.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/call-of-duty-vocoders-at-war/2300-102/

There's this proto-ILM where Vinny's got ahold of it singing the upcoming week that ends in "Vi-de-o, Vi-de-o, Vi-de-o, Vi-de-o games, oooooooooooooooooooooooh." that still has me dead.

finally watched UPF and I am already excited at the idea of a 24 hour stream that will include Vinny and Jeff! watched all of last year's Halo stream (not all of it live) with Drew and Alexis, this year sounds even better.

It's getting late and I read this as a 24 hour stream of Vinny and Jeff watching all of last year's Drew/Alexis Halo stream.

OMG Aero

It's a shame Hatsune Miku had that censoring feature, otherwise it would easily be his GOTY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom