• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
If us joking about that crapped-up video player of ours is going to confuse people, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that no one realized that I only brought up Infinite because of that "second review" thing that GameSpot did. My fault on that, I guess.

"second review" thing?

LuchaShaq

Banned
If I remember correctly, he said he almost felt it was the best game ever made.

And GTA5 is massively better in every conceivable way.

Despite having way too many pointless/shitty side story mission lines, Niko's revenge tale is much more interesting and fucking SATISFYING than the buddy criminal movie that is gta5. It's like they took the years later backlash to gta4 and then choose silly/dumb over smart/serious whenever they hit a crossroads in the gta5 story.

Despite having way too many pointless/shitty side story mission lines, Niko's revenge tale is much more interesting and fucking SATISFYING than the buddy criminal movie that is gta5. It's like they took the years later backlash to gta4 and then choose silly/dumb over smart/serious whenever they hit a crossroads in the gta5 story.

For sure. 5 played better, but when the credits rolled I was left thinking "that's it?". I wanted so much more.

StuBurns

Banned
Well, I don't think the story of GTA4 is better, I like the Trevor/Michael premise much more, but certainly, GTA4's antagonist is stronger, GTA5 seems just to pull them from the thin air, and have you wipe them all out and tie loose ends too quickly, Dimitri in GTA4 really felt fully baked into the story.

But as a whole, I think the story is better, the prose are better, the acting is better, it runs better, it looks better, it controls better, it's missions are hugely better, it's side content is better. It's massively better as a complete package.

Zaph

DetectiveGAF, get on it...

8lBhDP6.png

Megasoum

Banned
I remember we talked in the past about quicklooks that are no longer on the website...I just can't remember any specific examples.

StuBurns

Banned
Blood on the Sand had a QL.

Sometimes things aren't QLs though, even though they seem like it, like there is basically a FFXIII QL, but it's an Ask me Anything because the commentary was recorded after the gameplay. So it could be easy to misremember some of them.

Amazing how with a game as simple as Beyond they can still manage to fuck up. It's not even Brad playing!

Edit: Wow they fucked up more and yet managed to escape the cops? I thought getting caught was mandatory. MAKES NO SENSE

I haven't really soured on Bioshock Infinite or The Last of Us, personally. But where they were each at one time number one with a bullet on my GOTY list, actually working it out now, they might not make my top five after fully digesting the games and playing more after the zeitgeist passed.

At some point, I think I was putting games higher up on my GOTY list subconsciously because I didn't want to seem too far out of the mainstream or get accused of bias for games I genuinely enjoyed more than others. This year, fuck it, my top five is going to have a game only a few people like and a game about walking around a house while a teenage girl narrates. Anyone who thinks it's pretentious to have a niche game in the top five while a highly-rated AAA game is outside of it probably only looks at GOTY lists for confirmation of their own views, anyway.

I haven't really soured on Bioshock Infinite or The Last of Us, personally. But where they were each at one time number one with a bullet on my GOTY list, actually working it out now, they might not make my top five after fully digesting the games and playing more after the zeitgeist passed.

At some point, I think I was putting games higher up on my GOTY list subconsciously because I didn't want to seem too far out of the mainstream or get accused of bias for games I genuinely enjoyed more than others. This year, fuck it, my top five is going to have a game only a few people like and a game about walking around a house while a teenage girl narrates. Anyone who thinks it's pretentious to have a niche game in the top five while a highly-rated AAA game is outside of it probably only looks at GOTY lists for confirmation of their own views, anyway.

As great as Gone Home was (I spent 6 hours to beat it even though most people claim it's only 1.5 hours long) I still don't think i'd have it in my top 10 for the year.

webrunner

We don't know what's up with GB and The Last of Us completely. But you know what, none of you do either, so shut your mouths. A person died and you're saying "Yeah but what about this video game"

It's not the Real Objective True Game of the Year. It's the GIANT BOMB game of the year and if they're not covering TLOU at all then it's totally fine it's not a condender.

If you really need a theory, ever think they possibly had TLOU-related plans that needed Ryan? Or that they gave it to Ryan to do a Quick Look after he got back? There might be more connecting this game then just circumstantial timing.

FluxWaveZ

Wasn't there a mythical GTA IV Lost and the Damned Quick Look?

I don't remember if it was plain GTA IV or TL&D (probably the latter), but there was a GTA IV related Quick Look that Jeff posted as a test on the temporary, beta website when it transitioned from the old version to the updated version earlier this year and was removed once more when the site officially relaunched.

My Top 10 probably includes GTA and TLoU, and maybe Infinite, but it also probably has MGR, Pokemon, Luigi's Mansion 2, Ridiculous Fishing...

I'm more interested in the games that'll round out discussion, basically. The heavy hitters don't interest me too much. I want to see Jeff filibuster Senator Armstrong as "Guy We'd Least Like To Party With" or something.

FluxWaveZ

There was never a Blood on the Sand quick look, just the video review and some bombcast talk I believe.

Where do you think "Hit that big ass ramp" or Ryan imitating the racist helicopter pilot came from?

Edit: Unless I'm confusing that with something else and developing false memories? Could have sworn I saw a Blood on the Sand QL once...

Rapstah

I don't remember if it was plain GTA IV or TL&D (probably the latter), but there was a GTA IV related Quick Look that Jeff posted as a test on the temporary, beta website when it transitioned from the old version to the updated version earlier this year and was removed once more when the site officially relaunched.

Yes, but the version he put up had the middle cut out so it was less than five minutes long. Together with the various stories Jeff has told in the past about the Rockstar process for reviewers, it wouldn't surprise me if they don't have direct contact anymore.

StuBurns

Banned
Where do you think "Hit that big ass ramp" or Ryan imitating the racist helicopter pilot came from?

Edit: Unless I'm confusing that with something else and developing false memories? Could have sworn I saw a Blood on the Sand QL once...
Yeah, I remember Jeff talking about the character has a talk button, and he was doing it over and over. I remember the level too, it looked like an abandoned holiday resort.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yes, but the version he put up had the middle cut out so it was less than five minutes long. Together with the various stories Jeff has told in the past about the Rockstar process for reviewers, it wouldn't surprise me if they don't have direct contact anymore.
But he got an advanced copy of GTAV though?

Yeah, I remember Jeff talking about the character has a talk button, and he was doing it over and over. I remember the level too, it looked like an abandoned holiday resort.

The video review has both the talk button and the big ass ramp clip (it's still great). I'm actually surprised they never did a quick look, it would have been great.

I dont think I have played 10 2013 games to even make a list.

TLOU
GTA
Infinite
Guacamelee
Persona 4 Golden (cause thats when it got its EU release)
And soon MGR (thanks PS+)

I did play Bioshock Infinite, Mass Effect 3 and TLOU back to back though. That was a heck of a rollercoaster.

eot

Banned
I think I do remember a Blood on the Sand quicklook. I just remember them missing one of those "big ass ramps", but I could be wrong.

FluxWaveZ

The video review has both the talk button and the big ass ramp clip (it's still great). I'm actually surprised they never did a quick look, it would have been great.

Heh, it's pretty funny that 2 years and 5 months ago, I pretty much said the exact same thing I said before:

I think I remember there being a Quick Look, but it could just be a false memory.

Guess there wasn't a QL. Have no idea why I (and so many others) have this idea that I saw one before.

On the topic of 2013 games we've played/finished, these are mine:

1. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
2. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
3. Injustice: Gods Among Us
4. Anarchy Reigns
5. StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm
6. The Last of Us
7. Tomb Raider
8. DmC Devil May Cry
9. BioShock Infinite
10. Saints Row IV
11. Grand Theft Auto V
12. Beyond: Two Souls
13. Fire Emblem: Awakening
14. Shin Megami Tensei IV
15. The Walking Dead: 400 Days
16. The Wolf Among Us: Chapter 1

Oh, uh, and Divekick.

We don't know what's up with GB and The Last of Us completely. But you know what, none of you do either, so shut your mouths. A person died and you're saying "Yeah but what about this video game"

It's not the Real Objective True Game of the Year. It's the GIANT BOMB game of the year and if they're not covering TLOU at all then it's totally fine it's not a condender.

If you really need a theory, ever think they possibly had TLOU-related plans that needed Ryan? Or that they gave it to Ryan to do a Quick Look after he got back? There might be more connecting this game then just circumstantial timing.

I don't know about where you work, but when a co-worker of mine dies, I'm still expected to do my job.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So wait what's the majority now? Am I the only one who still loves Half-Life 2 now? Popular opinion sways so fast these days.
No man, those hl2 comments on the Friday show were straight up foolish.

renitou

I don't know about where you work, but when a co-worker of mine dies, I'm still expected to do my job.
It's no one's job to cover one specific game. Giant Bomb is not the "cover everything" website, and never will be. IGN, GameSpot, and others will hand out the awards and validation you crave, lol.

Oxx

I seem to remember watching a Giantbomb video of the 50 Cent game, and I pretty much only consume Bombcasts and QLs.

I've been trying to keep up on new releases this year, so I'm really looking forward to the GOTY talk. I fully expect Jeff to oversell Gunpoint as this year's Mark Of The Ninja - and I imagine it will be a standoff between Infinite & GTA V for the big title. Rogue Legacy, Brothers, and Gunpoint will be the year's indie darlings. Patrick will push for Gone Home, but it will not crack the top 10.
What I've played -
FEZ (PC)
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
BioShock Infinite
Rogue Legacy
Tomb Raider
Monaco
Poker Night 2
Super Puzzle Platformer
Stanley Parable
Animal Crossing : New Leaf
Gone Home
Saints Row IV
Gunpoint
GTA V
Last of Us
DmC

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, the "new" stanley parable seems pretty cool actually. Back a few years ago I played the source mod and totally didn't get it and didn't like it. But this seems to be like a completely completely different game rather than just a remake with better assets and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom