• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
Hmm, the "new" stanley parable seems pretty cool actually. Back a few years ago I played the source mod and totally didn't get it and didn't like it. But this seems to be like a completely completely different game rather than just a remake with better assets and stuff.
You're crazy. It's exactly the same game, it just has more endings. The theme, and setting, are identical.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
You're crazy. It's exactly the same game, it just has more endings. The theme, and setting, are identical.

Hmm, well it has been like 3 years I guess so my memory is just bad. I just didn't get it when I first played it. I got one ending and remember thinking "hmm, well ok that wasn't very neat."

StuBurns

Banned
Hmm, well it has been like 3 years I guess so my memory is just bad. I just didn't get it when I first played it. I got one ending and remember thinking "hmm, well ok that wasn't very neat."
I think one thing that makes this version much better, is it actually resets. If I remember correctly, every time on the original, you just get back to the main menu. In fact, this even cuts out the opening cutscene and has you already stood at the door. Much nicer.

It's possible you played it, got the 'correct' ending, and didn't really know you could play with the narrator. If that had happened, it would be pretty forgettable I'm sure.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
No I remember taking the wrong door or something but then I ended up in a sort of
missile silo bunker type place and there was like a flashing light and a bomb or something.
To be fair it was a looooong time ago and my gaming was suffering at the time due to life stuff. I remember hating everything at the time.

I actually remember the thread and I think I remember talking to you about it at the time.

lol found this
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45881768&postcount=3

ha, and this
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29971107&postcount=12

StuBurns

Banned
No I remember taking the wrong door or something but then I ended up in a sort of
missile silo bunker type place and there was like a flashing light and a bomb or something.
To be fair it was a looooong time ago and my gaming was suffering at the time due to life stuff. I remember hating everything at the time.

I actually remember the thread and I think I remember talking to you about it at the time.
You seem to have thought a little higher of it at the time than you remember...
Actually just got done with it. It was kinda interesting.
The ending I got was kind of offputting. It was interesting in that it happened and made me go "oh whoa, thats pretty neat" but then the narrator who I already wasn't really liking continued to drive home the conclusion I reached 10 seconds prior with a ridiculously awful monologue. I found myself thinking "yeah, it is pretty cool. but you just completely ruined any effect it had by pointing it out."

Megasoum

Banned
If you think you don't like Stanley Parable after seing one ending then you've clearly not understood the concept of Stantlan Parable.

kai3345

Banned
stanley parable is p cool. i just wish my fucking laptop would quit crashing on the middle of my sessions. im pretty sure im pulling a vinny and just have hella dust in my fans

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm watching old quicklooks I didn't get the chance to watch today and, as a Company of Heroes 1 player, watching the Company of Heroes 2 quicklook is torture. Goddammit.

Edit: Brad also though they were winning the online multiplayer match when the enemy had 4 tanks on the field, his teammate had already lost a tank and there was only another tank from his side (Russian tanks are no match to german tanks) and he didn't even have one single AT gun on the field. Poor brad.

Ken

Sonic Lost World looked atrocious in the QL. Not sure if the game is shit or Brad was just showing it off badly.

I think it was Brad playing badly because that's how Sonic looks when I play it badly too (hitting obstacles constantly and stopping completely).

Jintor

I'm watching old quicklooks I didn't get the chance to watch today and, as a Company of Heroes 1 player, watching the Company of Heroes 2 quicklook is torture. Goddammit.

Edit: Brad also though they were winning the online multiplayer match when the enemy had 4 tanks on the field, his teammate had already lost a tank and there was only another tank from his side (Russian tanks are no match to german tanks) and he didn't even have one single AT gun on the field. Poor brad.

let's be honest, if you're watching them QL anything you have a good working knowledge of how to play it's gonna hurt. It's a QL, yo

drizzle

Axel Hertz
let's be honest, if you're watching them QL anything you have a good working knowledge of how to play it's gonna hurt. It's a QL, yo

True. That's also why I'm not so harsh on Brad on Company of Heroes: That's a really demanding game, and Online is pretty much unplayable. There's too many cheap tactics and if you're not instantly moving your troops and capping points and doing what you're supposed to do, you might as well quit the game (like his teammate did).

That Sonic stuff though... woof...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Now imagine if you care about pokemon and watch Jeff play it.

They just don't delve too deep into games they don't care about.

KlotePino

I just popped in to say this thread title makes me laugh every time I read it. I love it when they give Brad shit, I don't know if it's because I think he's full of shit the most out of the squad or if he's just asking for it but it's my biggest guilty pleasure and I hope they don't shy away from it. I'm not talking about full-on being a dick to him but sometimes you gotta call someone out on something they say.

Antiwhippy

I agree that the brad griefing can be fun, but I still don't understand why people think that him stating brothers as one of his top 10 is crazy.

Do people understand the idea of a personal top 10 at all?

I agree that the brad griefing can be fun, but I still don't understand why people think that him stating brothers as one of his top 10 is crazy.

i think it was more that he was so adamant about it only halfway through a year in which we're getting new hardware.

Antiwhippy

You mean the launch lineup which he thinks is never great? :p

Which I kinda agree with. I can't see anything on the launch lineup breaking into my top 10 personally, and knowing his tastes the only thing that might break through is resogun or dead rising 3.

I think people are afraid that he tries to push it in the GOTY conversations.

For some reason, I am reminded of the last Bombcast where Jeff said Tales still probably does locational targeting (where characters attack an enemy slot that is already dead - like Final Fantasy 1 or Golden Sun).

I mean he obviously just threw a random name out there, but I'm pretty sure he's never actually seen a Tales game.

Antiwhippy

I think people are afraid that he tries to push it in the GOTY conversations.

What's wrong with that?

I dunno, I guess I just don't really care about what they pick for GOTY, becuase really, it's just 4-5 people trying to consolidate their subjective tastes. I just enjoy the discussion and arguments.

I guess I don't really see why so many people are invested in what they pick for top 10. It holds almost no worth to me other than the content they create.

For some reason, I am reminded of the last Bombcast where Jeff said Tales still probably does locational targeting (where characters attack an enemy slot that is already dead - like Final Fantasy 1 or Golden Sun).

I mean he obviously just threw a random name out there, but I'm pretty sure he's never actually seen a Tales game.

The only result of this post for me is reminding me how awful Dark Dawn was so thanks for that.

So far in the last week GB has pissed of Miku fans, pokemon fans and Sonic fans.

They really should get a copy of Kingdom Hearts HD and add one more creepy fanbase to the mix.

What's wrong with that?

I dunno, I guess I just don't really care about what they pick for GOTY, becuase really, it's just 4-5 people trying to consolidate their subjective tastes. I just enjoy the discussion and arguments.

I guess I don't really see why so many people are invested in what they pick for top 10.

To me, at least, is the actual conversation as Brad can be pretty stubborn at times (then again, I actually agreed with him about the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer)

Sonicbug

That bugged the heck out of me. Five seconds of battle footage would have made it clear the series doesn't work like that.

Lunzio

What is this thing about a 24 hr charity stream? Did they say who was involved and what they are playing?

2 weeks from today I believe, Drew, Alexis, & Vinny will be involved in a 9 AM to 9 AM stream, if my memory serves me correctly. They haven't said exactly what they're doing, but I suspect they'll try to finish up the Halo series in addition to some other games. Brad will have some contributions the day before, which may or may not involve him playing DoTA 2 til he passes out.

Antiwhippy

To me, at least, is the actual conversation as Brad can be pretty stubborn at times (then again, I actually agreed with him about the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer)

That's part of the fun for me though. :p love the insane lengths they go into winning their fight.

Brad has nothing on Jeff as far as getting a game in that no one else cares about. Remember syndicate.

That's part of the fun for me though. :p love the insane lengths they go into winning their fight.

Brad has nothing on Jeff as far as getting a game in that no one else cares about. Remember syndicate.

That's truth...

then again, I liked the Singler Player even thought had a mediocre story... But man, I like Cyberpunk

MrDaravon

That bugged the heck out of me. Five seconds of battle footage would have made it clear the series doesn't work like that.

As someone who primarily plays JRPGs (or at least used to) I have to make a conscious effort to shrug off any comments they make about them, their complete lack of coverage of most, and the poor coverage of most of the ones they do cover. Now matter how much it pains me, I've come to accept that most of the games/genres I like they either don't care about or misunderstand :(

As someone who primarily plays JRPGs (or at least used to) I have to make a conscious effort to shrug off any comments they make about them, their complete lack of coverage of most, and the poor coverage of most of the ones they do cover. Now matter how much it pains me, I've come to accept that most of the games/genres I like they either don't care about or misunderstand :(

I think they truly need to get a staff member that likes JRPG, I mean, Jeff is still going to get lost in a town in Pokemon but at least he could get lost in a burd... Club in Valhalla Knights 3 for our amusement.

Mr. F

Banned
I'm tempted to make a drinking game/bingo out of Bombin' in the A.M. So far;

- Mention of football
- "Ostensibly"
- "Interesting"
- "Fascinating"
- "Better/funnier/more effective than it has any right to be"

Patryn

2 weeks from today I believe, Drew, Alexis, & Vinny will be involved in a 9 AM to 9 AM stream, if my memory serves me correctly. They haven't said exactly what they're doing, but I suspect they'll try to finish up the Halo series in addition to some other games. Brad will have some contributions the day before, which may or may not involve him playing DoTA 2 til he passes out.
I believe it'll be Alexis, Drew, Jeff and Vinny. It'll run from Sunday 9 a.m. to Monday 9 a.m the first weekend of November.

Last year Drew and Alexis did it and played through the entirety of Halo 1,2 and 3 during it.

Also sounds like Brad will be playing something on Saturday.

I'm tempted to make a drinking game/bingo out of Bombin' in the A.M. So far;

- Mention of football
- "Ostensibly"
- "Interesting"
- "Fascinating"
- "Better/funnier/more effective than it has any right to be"

I almost died when I did that with "Anachronistic" with the Bombcast - Tread carefully.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

The way Patrick fought the good fight for Rayman Origins was beautiful. I beat the game after the GoTY stuff, and I totally understood why he fought for it so hard after playing it.

I hope after Vinny completes Dark Souls he pushes to get it onto a Game of the Generation list.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I hope after Vinny completes Dark Souls he pushes to get it onto a Game of the Generation list.
That part of the bombcast when they talked about a potential GotG and Vinny whispered "Dark Souls" and Jeff was like "Did you say something?" was the funniest shit. I think it was the one with Rorie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom