• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

Might be a little OT, but how is Tested doing? Do they appear on the TV show or just the internet? I am so out of the loop...
They seem to be doing pretty damn well - the Adam Savage/BB money has allowed them to go do a wider variety of things which keep their viewer-base growing.

Yeah, but (crosspost from Tested thread)...
Kinda crazy how much of this year's Octoberkast roster is made up of Giant Bomb/Whiskey Media-era friends. You'd think that after a year and a half and all the places they've visited, they'd have a larger pool to call from. Even one of the guys at the top of the site isn't appearing.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yeah, but (crosspost from Tested thread)...

I think Adam showed up last year, but they're recording Mythbusters now (I follow Adam, Jamie and Kari on twitter). And, as Adam said multiple times on his Podcast on tested, they only film a couple of months a year, but when they're doing it, they don't have time to do anything else.

Last year, when the Adam Podcast stopped for about 2 months, it was because they ran out of pre-recorded ones and Adam was too busy filming.

So I don't really blame them.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Does the walrus show up on Tested like the other guy?

Jamie is not really interested in sharing his passions with the world. We had a couple videos of Jamie doing things and a couple of interviews in his office (all which were pretty good), but this is mostly a stage that Adam took to show all the other things he likes to do that don't have a place in the show: Costumes, prop making, obsessive research on subjects, interview with his very famous friends, so on and so forth.

Adam also goes out of his way to make speeches, be motivational and inspire others on numerous amounts of Conventions, gatherings, schools, universities, so on and so forth, even before the Mythbusters as a whole received tested.com as a gift from Berman Braum. He just decided to use tested.com as another outlet for all of those interests of his.

So, to answer your question, not as much.

Fake Edit: My text makes Adam look like somebody that's trying to get something out of tested.com, but I think he genuinely likes to inspire people and use his experience as example of how things can be. This paragraph is just as bad as portraying him, but I'm hopeful you people will understand what I mean.

eot

Banned
Apparently that can take up to a day and a half to produce (plus time to write script and capture footage).

Would you prefer a Breaking Bad and Pathfinder - or a 5min video telling you if you should buy a game you already made you mind up days (or weeks) ago?

Well, personally I enjoyed their video reviews and I don't have time to watch all their content, so yes.

Mr. F

Banned
Don't care for Tested much these days but I hope they do well with Octobercast. First year after the Whiskey breakup was kind of sad to see in terms of how they didn't meet what they made the previous year. I know it's all for a good cause regardless and shouldn't matter, but it was kind of disheartening to see the visible audience drop off without the GB association.

I'll be tuning in now and again.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Don't care for Tested much these days but I hope they do well with Octobercast. First year after the Whiskey breakup was kind of sad to see in terms of how they didn't meet what they made the previous year. I know it's all for a good cause regardless and shouldn't matter, but it was kind of disheartening to see the visible audience drop off without the GB association.

I'll be tuning in now and again.

They were the week after the Giant Bomb Extra Life stream last year. That's why they were down.

grkazan12

I hate to be that guy bringing it up, but how do all of you feel about Giant Bomb post Ryan era?

I personally feel that they've been a doing a fucking excellent job with content, including the podcast, which I was worried about the most. They're still trucking on and keeping the spirit of the website alive. I didn't know him personally, but I think Ryan would have been proud to see the state of site that it is in today.

Also, Vinny should host every bombcast? or At least every other bombcast?

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
It's about exactly as I expected it to be. Still great and always improving, but different without Ryan and his presence is missed as a host. It's sad that we won't get to hear his impressions of all the new stuff coming out.

I also think Vinny is a better podcast host than Jeff. They could try rotating hosts.

LCfiner

I’m watching the bridge constructor quick look and it’s funny but the engineer in me is fucking cringing at the ramps and disconnected points.

And I can’t tell if the guys are being sarcastic or not when they’re surprised when half their designs fail, lol

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I hate to be that guy bringing it up, but how do all of you feel about Giant Bomb post Ryan era?

I personally feel that they've been a doing a fucking excellent job with content, including the podcast, which I was worried about the most. They're still trucking on and keeping the spirit of the website alive. I didn't know him personally, but I think Ryan would have been proud to see the state of site that it is in today.

Vinny has been amazing at hosting things since the Hotspot days. He hosted a couple shows in there and they were amazing as well.

Ryan surely was an essential part of Giantbomb and, understandably, his touch is missing from all the content now. It's still an amazing website producing amazing content.

What I'll say is a little on the sad side, but since we're missing both Patrick and Ryan from the daily content loop, i'm really glad that both Vinny and Drew (and Rorie) ar picking up the slack. They're much more active on the "being part of the content" part of the site, and not only doing the work behind the scenes. I'm pretty sure that's super hard for them and makes their lives much more complex. Now they need to do a good job on both ends. But I like it.

Mr. F

Banned
They were the week after the Giant Bomb Extra Life stream last year. That's why they were down.

I hadn't considered that, good point.

I think they're doing well all things considered. And yeah I like Vinny better than Jeff as host; him hosting was the closest the podcast has been to the same energy and levity as the Ryan days.

Also Drew and Vinny being more involved in content has been awesome. I think having maybe one more full-time personality would help, but that's a tough role to fill.

Vire

Why did they go to the Playstation event if they aren't really covering it anywhere on there site?

Where's the written previews or videos?

FStop7

Banned
Might be a little OT, but how is Tested doing? Do they appear on the TV show or just the internet? I am so out of the loop...

Their podcast is pretty hit and miss. Sometimes it's like the Whiskey media days, others it's just a hot mess.

I think they've been doing great. They're putting out a ton of good content. They're doing more than just games. Alexis, Drew and Rorie are on camera more often. Vinny's playing Dark Souls.

Lunzio

Why did they go to the Playstation event if they aren't really covering it anywhere on there site?

Expect verbal previews in the form of the Bombcast. I'm sure Jeff will talk about some stuff tomorrow on UPF too. GB is not into anything written in terms of previews, and, on the video side, they wind up throwing that coverage into their other content.

popo

A lot of that stuff is embargoed (e.g. Killzone) and Jeff was out all week. They don't do written previews and didn't shoot their own stuff.

Vire

Expect verbal previews in the form of the Bombcast. I'm sure Jeff will talk about some stuff tomorrow on UPF too. GB is not into anything written in terms of previews, and, on the video side, they wind up throwing that coverage into their other content.

Except they do written previews.

They just pick and choose whatever they feel like is worth covering. Just seems kinda strange to go to an event and then not cover it in any capacity, what's the point?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I love Jeff but man, this podcast reminded me: Vinny is a MUCH better host/podcast editor. He's probably super busy but I think he's a much better fit for it than Jeff. Don't get me wrong, Jeff's presence on the podcast is sorely missed when he's not around, but Vinny is just an all-around better host.

I think they've been doing great. They're putting out a ton of good content. They're doing more than just games. Alexis, Drew and Rorie are on camera more often. Vinny's playing Dark Souls.

I agree. It was a little rocky at first, but their quality of output has gotten more consistent with time. They've really hit a good stride recently with Breaking Brads, LOLS, Pathfinder and solid QLs - all in the midst of a dearth of new games (relative to the near future, anyway). I'll be renewing my sub in a month, fo sho.

Would be smart if Adam Savage tweeted about Octoberkast this year - could raise awareness and donates by quite a lot. Could never figure out why he never did so last year

Console launch impressions seems pretty important to me, arguably more so than Bioshock Infinite, but yeah whatever who cares.
What the hell is there even to say at this point? Regurgitate all the shit that has been said a million times already? It's pointless. Giant Bomb will offer their coverage in their way and they don't need to write up a preview every month about the soon to be released Xbox One and Playstation 4.

They'll fuck about with the boxes on a livestream when they get them and that's enough for me. I neither need nor expect more and neither should you.

JeTmAn81

Vinny should probably be the host of every Bombcast from now on. He just seemed to come alive with enthusiasm and ideas. Loved the production touches as well.

Alfredo

I'm gonna assume that Octoberkast won't be interfering with Unprofessional Fridays, since it's still on the Giant Bomb schedule. Guess I'll have to have two streams open tomorrow night, haha.

popo

Console launch impressions seems pretty important to me, arguably more so than Bioshock Infinite, but yeah whatever who cares.

Brad talked briefly about what he saw on the podcast. Jeff is likely to do the same next week. He said a few thing on twitter today (killzone looks like a prettier killzone - shock). Hardly worth a written preview but feel free to do to another site to fillt hose needs.

Jokab

You know that example is an anomaly.
Jeff has stated in multiple places that written previews are kind of pointless. You'll hear about his impressions on the podcast for sure.

Pointless in a way, but I'm also pretty sure he's said they're vital to the site. They get clicks, bring people, they appear on metacritic (honestly quite often when I look up a game on there, GB's review is one of the three shown) and get sent games (I'm not 100% on this, but I think he's said that publishers are more willing to send games if they get reviewed).

EDIT: Oh you said preview. My bad.

FStop7

Banned
Would be smart if Adam Savage tweeted about Octoberkast this year - could raise awareness and donates by quite a lot. Could never figure out why he never did so last year

I bet there are a lot of headaches surrounding what he can say or do to endorse charities because it could be perceived as being officially endorsed or sponsored by the Mythbusters (which is somehow Discover Channel or a production company, not Adam and Jamie), legal weirdness, etc.

Vire

What the hell is there even to say at this point? Regurgitate all the shit that has been said a million times already? It's pointless. Giant Bomb will offer their coverage in their way and they don't need to write up a preview every month about the soon to be released Xbox One and Playstation 4.

They'll fuck about with the boxes on a livestream when they get them and that's enough for me. I neither need nor expect more and neither should you.

Defensive much? You act like I shit on your dog.

All I was saying was that I was hoping to see more coverage from the event they went to than a 2 minutes of Brad briefly talking about it on the Podcast. I shouldn't expect more? Why? Because you said so?

popo

@Vire

Here you go. Put together from twitter posts. No joke, this contains almost as much information as your average preview from Kotaku, etc.
Jeff Gerstmann ‏@jeffgerstmann

Playing Killzone and Knack for a chunk of time last week was a great demo for the PS4 controller, too. Feels great. No complaints.

I played a bit of Killzone last week, came away with the same feeling I had at E3: Looks nice, the OWL abilities really help set it apart.

Frame rate maybe wasn’t as solid as I’d hoped, but it was a nice-looking demo.

I guess I’m not sure what to expect out of these new consoles, performance-wise. It’ll be nice to see a pile of launch games and compare.

Then I guess I’m looking for a bit more polish in some of these experiences. Especially at these prices.

> Try any multiplayer?

No, only got to play a section of the campaign.

Wut? In Killzone you can turn in to an OWL? Like in Manimal? Day one purchase.

Defensive much? You act like I shit on your dog.

All I was saying was that I was hoping to see more coverage from the event they went to than a 2 minutes of Brad briefly talking about it on the Podcast. I shouldn't expect more? Why? Because you said so?

I literally can't imagine that there's anything interesting to talk about from that event. We've all seen Knack, we've all seen Killzone, we've all seen the controller, we've all seen the UI. They're just showing the same things to the press for one last time.

And yes, you shouldn't expect more. Is this your first year on Giant Bomb or something? Written previews have always been an irregularity from them. From preview events I just want the facts and I can get that from any other site. Mainly here on NeoGAF, all bulletpointed and laid out nicely.

Vire

I literally can't imagine that there's anything interesting to talk about from that event. We've all seen Knack, we've all seen Killzone, we've all seen the controller, we've all seen the UI. They're just showing the same things to the press for one last time.

And yes, you shouldn't expect more. Is this your first year on Giant Bomb or something? Written previews have always been an irregularity from them. From preview events I just want the facts and I can get that from any other site. Mainly here on NeoGAF, all bulletpointed and laid out nicely.

Literally can't imagine? The Witness ring a bell? I still have no idea what that game is about and Brad's nebulous podcast ramblings weren't exactly crystal clear.

That was at the event.

I don't necessarily expect a written preview, I expected at least a video (you know, Giant Bomb's bread and butter) from them hanging outside talking about what they saw at a next generation launch event. Which they have done countless times for EA events, Microsoft Events and Ubisoft. I have been at Giant Bomb from the beginning by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom