• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

I broke down in the lack of GiantBomb premium content and decided to hop back on a monthly sub. Watching this weeks UPF now, already worth the money.

Incoming criticism. Please keep in mind I love GB before you react violently and slit my throat.

Could just be me but the last 2 Unprofessional Fridays have been really bad. The games they've been picking have been so boring to watch. And Jeff is just phoning it in. Last week, he worked on getting a few achievement points and they spent the rest of his segment just scrolling through other achievements and games from the early years of the 360. This week he held up a Dual Shock 4. To be fair, he'd just gotten back in town and may not have had a chance to prepare anything, but God damn were Vinnie, Drew, and Brad's games the most boring bullshit I have ever seen.

I don't know man. Love GB, but apart from the Pathfinder vids, lately this show has been pretty weak. It may be the fact that I find 99% of PC games incredibly dull and tedious and chock full of micromanagement. I guess if you love watching people fuck around with menus, you may find these segments riveting. I sure as fuck don't..

I think the live shows have been great for the past few weeks. I agree that Jeff's choices have been pretty bad and their might have been a couple too many make your own fun games in the last episode but the banter's always great. I think they need to make the effort to have at least 1 game like Speed Runners every week where there's a competitive element between them all.

Other than that the premium content has been stellar. You mentioned Pathfinder (and I do enjoy it) but I think LoLS and Breaking Brad have been the stand-outs.

Nethaniah

I don't like every pc game they play but i find it to be way better than some of the early console stuff they did like that 3D castlevania game or brad playing Ass Creed (think this was on UPF), i think it also has to do something with them just not playing consoles that much anymore cause nothing's been coming out, personally i find them doing any sort of recent AAA console title a fucking snoozefest cause it's just not interesting because we all play those games, maybe do some retro stuff or something.

I loved the achievements bit though and talking about the beginning of this gen, think i remember a Jar Time where jeff talked about maybe doing retrospective(?) of this generation, could be mistaken.

Dany

Banned
Incoming criticism. Please keep in mind I love GB before you react violently and slit my throat.

Could just be me but the last 2 Unprofessional Fridays have been really bad. The games they've been picking have been so boring to watch. And Jeff is just phoning it in. Last week, he worked on getting a few achievement points and they spent the rest of his segment just scrolling through other achievements and games from the early years of the 360. This week he held up a Dual Shock 4. To be fair, he'd just gotten back in town and may not have had a chance to prepare anything, but God damn were Vinnie, Drew, and Brad's games the most boring bullshit I have ever seen.

I don't know man. Love GB, but apart from the Pathfinder vids, lately this show has been pretty weak. It may be the fact that I find 99% of PC games incredibly dull and tedious and chock full of micromanagement. I guess if you love watching people fuck around with menus, you may find these segments riveting. I sure as fuck don't..

Last weeks was one of the better Friday shows. This week so far (still watching) has been okay.

Jintor

It was really novel when it first came out, but I never got the extreme praise that it was given. On a few occasions the GB guys have referred to it as the best combat of its kind out there, which I always thought was a little ridiculous. Especially when there's stuff out there like Ninja Gaiden Black, God Hand, or Bayonetta which are all fairly similar.

It's perfect for what that game needs though, since the action in that game is all about quickly switching between stealth and combat.

I actually don't think Bats is that similar to Bayo or God Hand - Bats is not actually very difficult combat, the main problem is maintaining a combo and remembering to stuff as many possible takedowns into it. It's heavily rhythm and target-based as opposed to the more free-form style of Bayo. Plus the amount of shit you can't cancel out of is absolutely infuriating because of how inconsistent it is.

Still among my favourite gameplay systems though. Almost hypnotic. I love the endless battle chambers.

It sounds like there was a lot more stuff actually on the stream this year for Octoberkast. Would I get more out of it if I were to watch the video archive or am I safe to just get the podcasts?

There are lots of old PS1 and PS2 games that could fill a segment.

They like the games they played on UPF more. VInny was having a lot more fun with that random Radbots and Brad was having a lot more fun with Candybox or whatever the hell it was called than whatever PS1 title than would be dragged out of the doldrums.

It sounds like there was a lot more stuff actually on the stream this year for Octoberkast. Would I get more out of it if I were to watch the video archive or am I safe to just get the podcasts?

I am grabbing the video archive of Youtube via JDownloader to be safe, might listen in the background, and switch over when interesting things happen...

... although grabbing everything is 720p is 14GB :/

They like the games they played on UPF more. VInny was having a lot more fun with that random Radbots and Brad was having a lot more fun with Candybox or whatever the hell it was called than whatever PS1 title than would be dragged out of the doldrums.

Yeah they've got a balancing act on their hands when it comes to UPF. They have to find games that are interesting to both them, and the viewer. Drew seems to put the most thought into his, based on his mention of a list he keeps during the week of games he could play, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. I don't know if I've ever found a Brad (or before he passed Ryan) segment on UPF that interesting, but I love Breaking Brad and all their game specific livestreams.

I am grabbing the video archive of Youtube via JDownloader to be safe, might listen in the background, and switch over when interesting things happen...

... although grabbing everything is 720p is 14GB :/

Yeah, I'm going to go with the 480p download. I downloaded all of the 24 Halo stream in 720 and it was a killer for my data cap.

This segment with Will asking Drew about all the crazy awesome shit he's done/does is awesome. What a rad guy.

Surprised his bar approach doesn't work. :lol

popo

That Sessler meltdown (check gaf front page) is getting silly. If the speculation holds then the GB's PS4 launch coverage might be a nightmare for them (lack of dev units, hdcp not patched out until later, threats of legal action for outlets using strippers).

Either way I am sure they will come up with something interesting to watch - even if it is just them talking on the couch with them shooting off screen :-O

I bet they are so glad they don't work for one of the more traditional outlets right now.

NIN90

Maybe you've set your player to play progressive video. That obviously disables the feature.

I'll look into that. It always had the green bar on top that says it'll resume where I left off and then it starts at the beginning anyway so I just figured it's bugged.

Serra

Especially when there's stuff out there like Ninja Gaiden Black, God Hand, or Bayonetta which are all fairly similar.

wow, wow, wow, hold up there man!

The only thing the combat system in Batman has in common with Bayo/Ninja Gaiden (can't speak for God Hand, since I haven't played it) is that you are hitting dudes. They are totally different.

Ken

That Sessler meltdown (check gaf front page) is getting silly. If the speculation holds then the GB's PS4 launch coverage might be a nightmare for them (lack of dev units, hdcp not patched out until later, threats of legal action for outlets using strippers).

Either way I am sure they will come up with something interesting to watch - even if it is just them talking on the couch with them shooting off screen :-O

I bet they are so glad they don't work for one of the more traditional outlets right now.

more windjammers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom