• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I want to do a vote/poll thing for the best Quick Looks of the year. I'd rather do it as a Google survey thing with about 20 entries or so, but I can't remember all of the good ones (because it's been about 12 months), so I figure I'd ask for some suggestions now.

Obviously we have 2 months of the year left but I just wanna see what I've forgotten. Right now I'm thinking about Ravaged and Arkham Origins.

IronBru

Neo Member
So, I want to do a vote/poll thing for the best Quick Looks of the year. I'd rather do it as a Google survey thing with about 20 entries or so, but I can't remember all of the good ones (because it's been about 12 months), so I figure I'd ask for some suggestions now.

Obviously we have 2 months of the year left but I just wanna see what I've forgotten. Right now I'm thinking about Ravaged and Arkham Origins.

Motorbike is the one I enjoyed best from what I can remember. Vinny/Jeff combo is always awesome.

Drayco21

Arma 3 and that Wii U Wario game quick looks were pretty good.

Edit: Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F was maybe my favorite, and I completely forgot about it for a second. The whole thing was just plain gold.

daydream

Banned
Looking through the list, I would nominate: Gas Guzzlers, ArmA III and Arma III Alpha, Hot Wheels World's Best Driver, Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F, Motorbike, Ride to Hell: Retribution, Game & Wario, Cry of Fear, Mars: War Logs, Sleeping Dogs DLC (Year of the Snake, Wheels of Fury, Zodiac Tournament), Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You Can and Tokyo Crash Mobs.

I also really enjoy the sports QLs: NHL 14, NBA 2k14, Fifa 14, Pro Evo Soccer 14, Madden NFL 25, MLB 13 The Show

Girl Fight, Marlow Briggs, Rayman Legends, Dynasty Warriors 8, Bientôt l'été and the Capcom Arcade Cabinet stuff also come into consideration.

This Typing of the Dead Overkill quicklook is annoying to watch.

The game tells Brad how to cancel words, he repeats it back, then says there's no way to cancel at the boss fight.

Nevermind the fact that it says "MULTIPLAYER COMING SOON" on the menu and they spend the rest of the quicklook trying to get in to multiplayer.

He seems so bummed about this game not being whatever he had in mind and it shows through the entire quicklook.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Come on. Releasing your stupid novelty game on Halloween with no multiplayer? Inexcusable.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
This post is absolutely all that needs to be said about the issue. We prefer to evaluate products for ourselves. If that's not good enough for you, sorry.

So, to summarize, regardless of what the difference ends up being (which we obviously don't know yet, because they aren't out), you're already sure that the mainstream "Joe Blow" consumer won't be able to tell the difference at the end of the day? Okay...

I would hope that when the time comes to discuss this issue frankly and in detail (it's worth that, at least), that some attempt is made to educate about how rendering resolutions work in consoles (native vs. upscaled with a scaling chip, which both consoles have this time BTW), the advantages of a higher resolution in gameplay (better ability to targets or road details at a distance, being able to see more fidelity in the art assets, etc), and the potential impact of most games on one platform running at below native1080p in a world where it is nearly impossible to buy a TV that isn't 1080p.

There is a substantive reason behind why this issue blew up in the way it did, even if the scale of the reaction is greater than it should be. (And let's not ignore the fact that much of the growth of the reaction is due to dismissive articles and comments from those in the media about the people reacting to this issue.)

Educating people and letting them decide for themselves if it is important to them is always a better approach than skipping talking about it due to an assumed ignorance on the part of the listener/public at large (which only serves to reinforce a cycle where ignorance begets further ignorance).

Serra

Arma 3 + Arma 3 alpha, Motorbike, Eurotruck, Ride to Hell and that Huey sim are my canditates.

Btw, am I misremembering or did Brad say he was thinking about giving Dark Souls another shot? Would be a great game to play for a few hours during his 24h stream. Honestly if he tries to play 24 hours of Dota he will go insane or start crying.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Nevermind the fact that it says "MULTIPLAYER COMING SOON" on the menu and they spend the rest of the quicklook trying to get in to multiplayer.

He seems so bummed about this game not being whatever he had in mind and it shows through the entire quicklook.

Also, I don't get why they keep saying "but comparing yourself to others is the whole point of this, why there's no multiplayer?"

I don't remember playing Typing of the Dead with anybody else ever - also, how could you? Nobody in their right mind would buy TWO Keyboard Dreamcast controllers. I have no idea what they were talking about.

Also, plugging two USB keyboards on a PC will never work. It's like plugging in two mice. Computers, afaik, see all keyboards as the same input device.

Educating people and letting them decide for themselves if it is important to them is always a better approach than skipping talking about it due to an assumed ignorance on the part of the listener/public at large (which only serves to reinforce a cycle where ignorance begets further ignorance).
Educating people is hard enough. Trying to educate people that don't want to be educated is even worse. I experience that constantly: I over explain things to people, because I believe you should know about things before making a decision. So when somebody asks me "hey, should I buy A or B?" I usually end up explaining all the differences between A and B, which takes a while. After that, people usually just say: But which one do you like better?

In other words, they're asking me which one to buy, not what's the difference between them. My answers then depends on my personal opinion on that person, which I also make apparent when telling them that, usually in an offensive way (because I'm a jackass)

This usually ends up in one of three ways: That person understands that he/she should look more into it (best scenario, rarely happens), that person gets annoyed at me but does what I tell them to do anyway (not ideal, happens most of the time), that person gets annoyed at me enough that they don't ever ask me anything again. I don't feel bad for them, because they're idiots most of the time.

kvk1

Gotta go w/ the ArmA 3 for QLOTY.

ETS was great. But that video was 50% QL of the game and 50% QL of the darkest pits of internet download hell.

Bacon

What was that little indie game that Vinny and Patrick did a QL on? I remember that one being funny but can't recall the name.

Edit: Did a little digging and it was the QL of No time to Explain. That was a fun video.

Just looking through the list chronologically here:

Sleeping Dogs: Zodiac Tournament
Euro Truck Simulator 2
Bientot L'ete
Sleeping Dogs: Year of the Snake
Arma III Alpha
Slender: The Arrival
Mars: War Logs
Cry of Fear
Game and Wario
Motorbike
NCAA Football 14
Digital Combat Simulator: UH-1H Huey
Madden NFL 25
Arma III

Also, if Encyclopedia Bombasticas count, then Law of the West. The winner is obviously Euro Truck though.

kiyomi

Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Motorbike were my favourites. Followed by Arma III and Ride to Hell. All them were amazing.

zroid

Banned
I hope there's a Wii Fit U quick look :lol

re: the best quick look discussion, don't forget Mario 3D World. If they go 4 player, it's bound to be incredible.

ultron87

The Ravaged QL has the single funniest moment of the year, but I don't know if that makes up for the rest of it just being okay.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
The Ravaged quick look is one day from being a year old. Not 2013.

RE_Player

Just listened to the morning show. Kind of surprised Patrick doesn't know what SATA is and that the hard drive situation on PS4 is the same as PS3 in that you can swap out a regular laptop drive.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Just listened to the morning show. Kind of surprised Patrick doesn't know what SATA is and that the hard drive situation on PS4 is the same as PS3 in that you can swap out a regular laptop drive.

A fan had to send him an ENTIRE COMPUTER so he would play games on a computer. To what he answered "oh, this PC thing is really good! I'm pretty much not ever playing games on consoles as it turns out", so I'm not surprised he doesn't know what SATA is.

Before that, he thought MacBooks were computers.

MNC

Was Arkham Origins that good? I watched the first half hour and was bored to death, but that was due to the game being a snorefest.

komplanen

The fuck? LOL I'm watching the Gamespot Extra-Life live stream and there's this horrible singing blaring through out their set and they just called it out as coming from Giant Bomb :-D It better not be a joke I want to hear that shrieking in a quick look or something LMAO

PS. It was Wonderwall by Oasis and now it's something I can't quite make out
PPS. Don't watch the Gamespot live stream, it's kinda horrible.

fleck0

The fuck? LOL I'm watching the Gamespot Extra-Life live stream and there's this horrible singing blaring through out their set and they just called it out as coming from Giant Bomb :-D It better not be a joke I want to hear that shrieking in a quick look or something LMAO

Rocksmith?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Rocksmith?

I'd say yes:

https://twitter.com/giantbomb/status/396360854934802432/photo/1

@giantbomb

Vinny shreds.
BYAoGKlCQAAg3Lv.jpg:large

komplanen

Haha amazing! I want this ASAP in my veins. Geez just the idea of these doofuses doing a charity live stream and Giant Bomb's dumb crap is blaring in the background is making me laugh

Danielsan

Man, watching the latest Load Our Last Souls. Vinny is playing terribly. Can't stand the fact that they are letting him run around with a shield., but it's absolutely hilarious.

derFeef

Man, watching the latest Load Our Last Souls. Vinny is playing terribly. Can't stand the fact that they are letting him run around with a shield., but it's absolutely hilarious.
He seems to cross a line sometimes where he just want's to goof around and do dumb shit, it's frustrating to watch sometimes but can lead to great moments. Last video in the series was def. the worst so far.

Danielsan

He seems to cross a line sometimes where he just want's to goof around and do dumb shit, it's frustrating to watch sometimes but can lead to great moments. Last video in the series was def. the worst so far.
In terms of him goofing off? Sure. Watching him do silly animations as an NPC is talking gets boring/annoying real fast. That said, I think the last video was by far the most hilarious. Loved all the deaths at the end of the video.

popo

Haha amazing! I want this ASAP in my veins. Geez just the idea of these doofuses doing a charity live stream and Giant Bomb's dumb crap is blaring in the background is making me laugh

Other people in the office can be heard fucking about in the background every friday on UPF. I guess that is what happens when you set up your live set in an empty corridor though.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
The people fawning over Drew in the chat (and elsewhere) come across as kinda weird.

I thought they were doing karaoke version though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom