• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesoian

Fucking PAX POX. They should have decontamination showers before the dirty bastards are allowed to interact with other humans. One of these days it is going to mutate and the CDC are going to have to nuke the convention centre.

thx

People need to shower. Seriously. I was getting really tired of gagging everytime I got on an elevator with more than 2 people.

Bathe you fuckwits.

People need to shower. Seriously. I was getting really tired of gagging everytime I got on an elevator with more than 2 people.

Bathe you fuckwits.

How on earth did poor hygiene become so pervasive in nerd culture? Was it just a "I'm not a social guy, so I don't need to shower" thing?

Zaph

How on earth did poor hygiene become so pervasive in nerd culture? Was it just a "I'm not a social guy, so I don't need to shower" thing?
I'm guessing it must be something to do with the travelling? Like because they're mostly young students or in low-paying employment, they just jump on a cheap flight/coach/drive and don't bother booking a hotel for the night before?

Mesoian

I'm guessing it must be something to do with the travelling? Like because they're mostly young students or in low-paying employment, they just jump on a cheap flight/coach/drive and don't bother booking a hotel for the night before?

There are showers in Hostels people. Even if you're shacking up with someone in a hotel room, those rooms have showers.

popo

Jokes aside. It is just a conference thing. People walking about all day, standing in lines are going to be sweaty and smell funky.

The disease thing is more - if you have a cold then you really should stay at home or you are going to spread that shit over a wide population who will then get on a plane and spread it to everyone else etc etc.

mintyice

I missed the past month and a half or so of GB content due to getting a full time job. Is there anything worth going back and watching? Any funny quick looks?

demidar

Just watched the panel, so good. The Q&A wasn't as bad as people were making it out to be. Loved the craziness that happened at the end.

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but what exactly went wrong at the PAX meetup? Just saw another reference to it on Patrick's tumblr, don't think I've seen the specifics anywhere.

Mesoian

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but what exactly went wrong at the PAX meetup? Just saw another reference to it on Patrick's tumblr, don't think I've seen the specifics anywhere.

The original plan was to go to the Atlantic Beer Garden, which probably could have fit everyone with...minimal problems. But it was already booked up. So they chose Whiskey Priest as an alternative which already had quite a few meet ups going on on top of regular friday traffic (as I showed up, a friend of mine who works for a game developer was trying to get a table for 30, he was not the only one trying to make such large plans happen). So the wait to get to the upstairs balcony where the meet up was was something like 90 minutes to two hours, which isn't really acceptable. Gamespot and Giantbomb made up for it by buying line goers drinks though, and it was really nice upstairs once you got there. But yeah, it was sort of a logistics fuck up. The GB meetup is so big that they really need to book an entire venue to house everyone who's interested.

demidar

The original plan was to go to the Atlantic Beer Garden, which probably could have fit everyone with...minimal problems. But it was already booked up. So they chose Whiskey Priest as an alternative which already had quite a few meet ups going on on top of regular friday traffic (as I showed up, a friend of mine who works for a game developer was trying to get a table for 30, he was not the only one trying to make such large plans happen). So the wait to get to the upstairs balcony where the meet up was was something like 90 minutes to two hours, which isn't really acceptable. Gamespot and Giantbomb made up for it by buying line goers drinks though, and it was really nice upstairs once you got there. But yeah, it was sort of a logistics fuck up. The GB meetup is so big that they really need to book an entire venue to house everyone who's interested.

Sounds like a good problem to have.

Patryn

I ate dinner at the Atlantic Beer Garden that night. There is no way the meetup would have fit in there. It was already pretty damn crowded.

Wow that is terrible. Has their modeler never seen a human walking before?

Ha-ha, I never looked at the trailer. They walk like the beast races from Morrowind, if they had regular Human legs but the same animation.

I hope they quick look it, could end up being a secret-hidden-charming-weird sort of game.

TheGrue

Very glad I decided not to bother walking over there after my panel got out at 8:30.

Mesoian

Very glad I decided not to bother walking over there after my panel got out at 8:30.

If what you were planning on getting out of hte meetup was talking to the main crew, you would have been better served hanging around after the panel or in between the rumble and the 404 (Although Drew did do a way more personal recanting of his trip to north korea, which was really cool, and listening to Alex rant about Wrestlemania was pretty fun). If you were planning on meeting up with people from the GB community, it was well worth the wait. Lots of really nice people from all over, but I drank so much, I no longer remember what we talked about.

I don't think CBSi or Giant Bomb observes religious holidays. UPF should be a go!

It's currently not on the schedule of upcoming events. The site is showing that the next two events are Bombing the AM With Scoops and the Wolf on 4/18 (Tomorrow) and Spookin' with Scoops on 4/23 (Wednesday).

If what you were planning on getting out of hte meetup was talking to the main crew, you would have been better served hanging around after the panel or in between the rumble and the 404 (Although Drew did do a way more personal recanting of his trip to north korea, which was really cool, and listening to Alex rant about Wrestlemania was pretty fun). If you were planning on meeting up with people from the GB community, it was well worth the wait. Lots of really nice people from all over, but I drank so much, I no longer remember what we talked about.

I waited in like for about 30 minutes to get upstairs and talk to Vinny, but some kid was dominating the conversation( I dont even remember what it was about) and VinDawg went downstairs.

kvothe

It hasn't quite been a full year yet since Ryan passed, but does anyone here feel a really personal connection with Giant Bomb now?
I mean, I loved Giant Bomb before, but now my connection to that site feels really personal. It's strange. Never felt this way about a website or group of people I've never met.

Alfredo

Probably more of, "I'm not a social guy, so I don't KNOW I need to shower."

Also, I know some people who go to cons, but can't afford a hotel room, so they just stay up the whole time, with no access to a shower. Of course, when I found out about this, I offered them to use the shower in my hotel room, lol.

Cranzor

Both Patrick and Zoe had great presentations and made really good points. Zoe in particular brought up things I haven't thought of and I thought the talk overall was enlightening and thought-provoking.

At any point during this panel about internet bullying does Patrick flip out and start directing his twitter followers to internet bully a random developer for making a clone of his friends game?

The incident you're referring to is brought up in the Q&A segment at the end. I understand Patrick's rationale in that situation and I have forgiven him for that, but I can understand if you haven't.

mattp

At any point during this panel about internet bullying does Patrick flip out and start directing his twitter followers to internet bully a random developer for making a clone of his friends game?

oh come on, he's apologized and admitted it was a stupid thing to do, already
sometimes you guys are ridiculous with the patrick hate

Dany

Banned
I've never understood why it takes them so long to address their own concerns. If they feel they need more staff then get on it, it doesn't take a year. Everything has the vibe of "we'll just do it later" yet very little materialises.

But hey, they live by the shackles of CBS so it isn't on them, right?

Because they don't leave the house so why shower? And when they do leave the house they don't...

Alfredo

I've had the panel going on in the background, so I haven't paid attention to everything they've said, but someone asked Patrick about that, and he replied that he now knows that he was wrong in doing that.

Patrick also responded to a question about retweeting harassment to expose the hate online, and I really like Zoe's idea to screen cap the hate, then remove the person's identity to discourage reactionary bulling, or the "asshole ouroboros," as she puts it. Of course, I bet someone could just google the text to find that person's profile and lay on the hate, but it still creates a barrier to prevent knee-jerk reactions, or whatever.

I also like Patrick's idea to outdo the hate by just being more positive online...at least, I think that was his point. Again, I'm not really listening, but I'm totally going to be more positive online and let people know I like what they do, instead of just reserving posts for negative actions!

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
The guy saying "ok" about a minute in to Pat and Zoe's panel is hilarious.

Chuck

Still without luck
Now I'm having framerate problems with the trials quick look on the html5 player :/

edit: wow.

brad is really really bad at trials.

Chuck

Still without luck
This nyu talk is weird. Jeff went from talking about ces in 1992 to this dude asking about kane and lynch? Weird.

This question asker is really bad.

FluxWaveZ

This nyu talk is weird. Jeff went from talking about ces in 1992 to this dude asking about kane and lynch? Weird.

This question asker is really bad.

Yeah, that was an abrupt transition. For the rest, though, he seems alright and he's well informed.

def sim

It's currently not on the schedule of upcoming events. The site is showing that the next two events are Bombing the AM With Scoops and the Wolf on 4/18 (Tomorrow) and Spookin' with Scoops on 4/23 (Wednesday).

I hope they do have some other sort of show if UPF is not possible this week. If Jeff and Vinny (I guess?) are still sick and they're understaffed for it, something like a Breaking Brad would be nice.

The incident you're referring to is brought up in the Q&A segment at the end. I understand Patrick's rationale in that situation and I have forgiven him for that, but I can understand if you haven't.
I'm pretty sure funky just doesn't like Patrick at all iirc, so it wouldn't matter if he'd apologized or not. Though, a kudos is in order for trolling Patrick about a panel on trolling, truly a matter stroke of irony there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom