• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agkel

Welp, thx Patrick for spoiling Ground Zeroes for me... This is why I stopped watching bombing in the am a long time ago and i guess im going to have to start avoiding everything thats not a lets play by Patrick.

edit: talking about his Pax speech

Why did I watch the Q&A part of the PAX panel? What a harrowing experience.
Kind of my same thought as well... Fortunately, that ending made it worth it.

Also, even though it felt a little out of place, the one guy asking/telling about difficult times was a nice moment for me.

Really solid panel, overall. Felt a little scatter brained, but it felt like everyone was more comfortable and on point than any past panel comes to mind. Props to Brad and Alex doing much better as well! They both seemed more comfortable on stage, GB NY aside, haha.

Dragon

Banned
Welp, thx Patrick for spoiling Ground Zeroes for me... This is why I stopped watching bombing in the am a long time ago and i guess im going to have to start avoiding everything thats not a lets play by Patrick.

I'd recommend not watching or listening to Brad either. I think he gets off spoiling things :).

Agkel

Brad's been fairly good about avoiding that lately, hasn't he?

Hell no, I usually have to skip him during the podcasts. He'll start with "I dont want to spoil it so I wont say anything" but the spoilers start creeping up as soon as he's done saying that.

Kind of sucks I have to stop listening to Patrick, since I like the guy but he lets spoilers out (without warning) too frequent for my taste. I like how Alex gets around talking about stuff without any actual spoilers. Sure there are a few here and there but for the most part he's really good at that... I miss bombing in the AM :(

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
oh come on, he's apologized and admitted it was a stupid thing to do, already
sometimes you guys are ridiculous with the patrick hate

I think it's worth saying that just because a person apologizes does not mean they're deserving of forgiveness.

Apologies are cheap, actual change isn't. It's perfectly understandable for a person to want time to see if a person has actually changed, or is just saying what they need to to get off with little damage.

It's not the first time Patricks apologized, and it's not necessarily that far from the last time that he apologized either.

Mesoian

I think it's worth saying that just because a person apologizes does not mean they're deserving of forgiveness.

Apologies are cheap, actual change isn't. It's perfectly understandable for a person to want time to see if a person has actually changed, or is just saying what they need to to get off with little damage.

It's not the first time Patricks apologized, and it's not necessarily that far from the last time that he apologized either.

Then why continue to follow him?

I mean, it was actual news.

Brad's been fairly good about avoiding that lately, hasn't he?

The only truly egregious example that comes to mind is the FF10 quick look where he and rorie basically spoil EVERYTHING about that game.

M3z_

Then why continue to follow him?

I mean, it was actual news.

The only truly egregious example that comes to mind is the FF10 quick look where he and rorie basically spoil EVERYTHING about that game.

... The game is ancient, that is not an example of poor spoiler control.

Zomba13

That was just rereleased. Which means lots of new people would be interested in a quick look.

There was absolutely no point in them spoiling game.

Yeah the FF ex spoilers were a bit much. I played and finished it years ago so I personally didn't care but I bet it sucked if there were people who hadn't played it yet.

kvothe

Like M3z said, that game is over 10 years old.

But even if it's your first time playing it because of the rerelease, you probably shouldn't be watching a Quick Look about a heavily story-laden RPG if you're sensitive to spoilers.

Agkel

1)I mean, it was actual news.

2)The only truly egregious example that comes to mind is the FF10 quick look where he and rorie basically spoil EVERYTHING about that game.

1)There was controversy news of something that happened in game. Guess what? It was not in the title, so those of us that wanted to avoid the spoiler until we could get around playing it, just had to not click on threads related to MGS, which I did.

2)There are quite a few on this year's podcasts but I dont care enough to go back and look for them. Like I said, I dont expect them to change and my solution is a quick and painless one of avoiding Brad and Patrick conversation.

Am I annoyed that Patrick blurted that spoiler, just like that, when he could have used many other examples to drive the message? Yes, I'm annoyed but I can let it go and move on, only watching Patrick's lets play and skipping Brad on podcasts. I hope in the future they learn not to spoil games for their audience though.

I just opened Giant Bomb and saw the top of the "Jeff Gerstmann Heads To New York, Takes Questions" video. The headline cut off at "Jeff Gerstmann Heads To New" and I had a mini heart attack because I was sure Jeff was leaving. That was weird.

M3z_

That was just rereleased. Which means lots of new people would be interested in a quick look.

There was absolutely no point in them spoiling game.

I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for that, the game is 10 years old and at some point you can't hold people to strict spoiler standards. Especially for a game as big as FFX, it is not like this is some re-release of a game that only shipped a few copies or never came out in this region. It was a fucking mainline Final Fantasy game. When a game is that old I rather hear about their full robust unfiltered opinion and not them tip toeing around spoilers only talking about the surface level of the game. A re-release is more of an opportunity for fans of the game to re-immerse themselves in something they loved than it is a vehicle to recruit new fans.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for that, the game is 10 years old and at some point you can't hold people to strict spoiler standards. Especially for a game as big as FFX, it is not like this is some re-release of a game that only shipped a few copies or never came out in this region. It was a fucking mainline Final Fantasy game. When a game is that old I rather hear about their full robust unfiltered opinion and not them tip toeing around spoilers only talking about the surface level of the game. A re-release is more of an opportunity for fans of the game to re-immerse themselves in something they loved than it is a vehicle to recruit new fans.

There was zero point to their spoilers. They were just rattling them off, not to discuss but just listing them, trying to remember how it ended.

It didn't lead to a robust unfiltered opinion. It was pointless to ruin the storyline for anyone who may be checking out the quick look to see if they may want the game,

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
No, it was just a way to discuss what they can remember about FFX.

Seriously though, after so long, even counting in the rerelease, any spoiler is fair game. I don't give a shit if people haven't saw it yet because if they actually cared about it they would have played it long before the rerelease came along.

At a certain point, there has to be a statute of limitations on spoilers. We as an open society have deemed it to be somewhere much less than 10 years.

Snape kills Dumbledore.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
At a certain point, there has to be a statute of limitations on spoilers. We as an open society have deemed it to be somewhere much less than 10 years.

Snape kills Dumbledore.

Storm of Swords came out 14 years ago. I am guessing people would be pretty angry with me if I started talking about plot points in that.

I get that spoilers for an old Final Fantasy game should be considered low priority. But in the situation, all it was was two guys listing the ending, without any real discussion. It did nothing for those who knew it already and ruined it for those who didn't and might have been picking up the rerelease.

hamchan

Storm of Swords came out 14 years ago. I am guessing people would be pretty angry with me if I started talking about plot points in that.

I get that spoilers for an old Final Fantasy game should be considered low priority. But in the situation, all it was was two guys listing the ending, without any real discussion. It did nothing for those who knew it already and ruined it for those who didn't and might have been picking up the rerelease.

The Game of Thrones comparison is very apt, I completely agree with you. A lot of people sure wouldn't like it if I told them it was fair to spoil ASOIAF just because it came out more than a decade ago.

They didn't even put a spoiler alert for the video too, just Rorie posting in the comments section later, which a lot of people wouldn't see. I remember them putting a big spoiler warning for the Uncharted 2 quick look, this FFX QL sure could have used that.

Mully

It comes off as extremely entitled to be upset at Brad and Rorie for talking about FFX spoilers at this point. They're going to have to talk about a game to give context in order to back up what they have to say about it. You have to accept that they're going to talk about spoilers. In most cases after 4-6 months after a release they're going to talk about spoilers of a game. If you care that much about a game's spoilers, especially from a 10 year old game, you should have probably played it by now.

They're going to ruin it for someone, but if you care about it, you're most likely going to play the game before they do given the reasonable time they give for most spoiler talk.

Dragon

Banned
It comes off as extremely entitled to be upset at Brad and Rorie for talking about FFX spoilers at this point. They're going to have to talk about a game to give context in order to back up what they have to say about a game. You have to accept that they're going to talk about spoilers. In most cases after 4-6 months after a release they're going to talk about spoilers of a game. If you care that much about a game's spoilers, especially from a 10 year old game, you should have probably played it by now.

They're going to ruin it for someone, but if you care about it, you're most likely going to play the game before they do given the reasonable time they give for most spoiler talk.

You'd have a point except Brad has shown on multiple occasions that he doesn't give two shits about spoiling people about games.

Mully

You'd have a point except Brad has shown on multiple occasions that he doesn't give two shits about spoiling people about games.

That's just Brad. The site's been around for nearly six years (damn it's been that long?). We know the dynamics of the site and the people that are involved with it. For the most part, Brad does a good job at warning the spoilers he's about to talk about. I haven't seen the QL, but it's a 10+ year old game. If it really mattered to you, you'd either spoil for yourself or played it already.

If you hadn't played the game, it's fair to be upset, but they can't please everyone and it's something that you have to accept; especially when it's 10 years from the initial release.

Also, people in this thread in particular should note that people who were spoilered enjoyed a film more than those who saw it without spoilers in a recent study. I have a feeling a similar reaction happens in games; especially when story is great. Players are likely more aware of the elements involved. For instance, I knew the end to King Lear and The Walking Dead. In both forms of media, I actually loved the story more than I probably would have since I was aware of the elements involved to get me to the specific points spoiled for me.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Spoiler sensitivity can be pretty unbearable though. Take a step back and look at what you're missing by hearing a plot point in a video game, it probably isn't much. Like the guy who said Patrick spoiled GZ, even if you really didn't want to know that end stuff I doubt a play through of yours will be diminished or something. And it's a month old and takes an hour to beat and you sound interested in it, don't wanna run your life or something but why not just play it?

hamchan

It comes off as extremely entitled to be upset at Brad and Rorie for talking about FFX spoilers at this point. They're going to have to talk about a game to give context in order to back up what they have to say about it. You have to accept that they're going to talk about spoilers. In most cases after 4-6 months after a release they're going to talk about spoilers of a game. If you care that much about a game's spoilers, especially from a 10 year old game, you should have probably played it by now.

It's a rerelease though, I don't think it's entitled at all to at least put a spoiler warning up at the start of the vid. They can have their discussion (even though the spoilers added nothing to that discussion IMO), but let people have the chance to not watch the vid before getting some surprise spoilers. Especially since there's definitely a younger crowd on Giant Bomb, I can totally see someone not being familiar with FFX or not even knowing whether it's a good game.

Basically the same logic as to why we have spoiler tags on GAF.

Pudge

It hasn't quite been a full year yet since Ryan passed, but does anyone here feel a really personal connection with Giant Bomb now?
I mean, I loved Giant Bomb before, but now my connection to that site feels really personal. It's strange. Never felt this way about a website or group of people I've never met.

I feel that way too. It's an oasis of sanity in a sea of falsities and saccharine bullshit. I honestly don't think it's any weirder than people who obsess over pop stars or other celebrities (and it's much healthier intellectually). They really put themselves out there, and I appreciate that as someone who can't stand the crap that a lot of people on the Internet are peddling.

Jintor

if i'm watching a ql about ffx it might possibly occur that i have not actually bought or played ffx and i might like to buy a remaster so i can experience the story for the first time

this is a possibility. it exists in possibility space. giving context is one thing. spoiling the game is another.

please warn before spoils

Mully

It's a rerelease though, I don't think it's entitled at all to at least put a spoiler warning up at the start of the vid. They can have their discussion (even though the spoilers added nothing to that discussion IMO), but let people have the chance to not watch the vid before getting some surprise spoilers. Especially since there's definitely a younger crowd on Giant Bomb, I can totally see someone not being familiar with FFX or not even knowing whether it's a good game.

Basically the same logic as to why we have spoiler tags on GAF.

I guess I didn't think about fans of the site who watch most QLs. I only watch ones that interest me. I can understand getting upset at getting spoiled about a re-release, but if it's cool with you, why didn't you check out another walkthrough or impression from an earlier date? As I said earlier, the site's been around for a while, why did you watch a QL with a guy who's pretty quick (i think reasonable) with spoilers?

I was a bit insensitive initially due to my hate for spoiler disappointment, but I'm coming around to the fact that most people interested in certain games presently weren't interested when said game was announced in the past. I'm ignorant to most games, but don't mind hearing spoilers since my budget doesn't allow me to play more than three games a year, and I'd like to keep up with the industry.

Dragon

Banned
That's just Brad. The site's been around for nearly six years (damn it's been that long?). We know the dynamics of the site and the people that are involved with it. For the most part, Brad does a good job at warning the spoilers he's about to talk about. I haven't seen the QL, but it's a 10+ year old game. If it really mattered to you, you'd either spoil for yourself or played it already.

If you hadn't played the game, it's fair to be upset, but they can't please everyone and it's something that you have to accept; especially when it's 10 years from the initial release.

Also, people in this thread in particular should note that people who were spoilered enjoyed a film more than those who saw it without spoilers in a recent study. I have a feeling a similar reaction happens in games; especially when story is great. Players are likely more aware of the elements involved. For instance, I knew the end to King Lear and The Walking Dead. In both forms of media, I actually loved the story more than I probably would have since I was aware of the elements involved to get me to the specific points spoiled for me.

I agree with you about FFX, the game's been out since 2001. There's no reason to get really upset.

The rest of your post you're kind of just talking about your own personal experiences, as entertainers, they don't really owe us anything really. It's mostly to avoid complaints I'd assume that they even bother with spoiler warnings in the first place.

I just note that Brad definitely very much likes spoilers :).

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I agree with you about FFX, the game's been out since 2001. There's no reason to get really upset.

The rest of your post you're kind of just talking about your own personal experiences, as entertainers, they don't really owe us anything really. It's mostly to avoid complaints I'd assume that they even bother with spoiler warnings in the first place.

I just note that Brad definitely very much likes spoilers :).

He hates to be spoiled though.

Agkel

Spoiler sensitivity can be pretty unbearable though. Take a step back and look at what you're missing by hearing a plot point in a video game, it probably isn't much. Like the guy who said Patrick spoiled GZ, even if you really didn't want to know that end stuff I doubt a play through of yours will be diminished or something. And it's a month old and takes an hour to beat and you sound interested in it, don't wanna run your life or something but why not just play it?

Because I am busy? As a matter of fact I was planning on playing it this weekend since it's a long weekend and I had time to play it. To me, it does affect my enjoyment of the game, because now I know something that the maker of GZ wanted me to experience in the game. It may not affect you and that is fantastic but it's not spoiler sensitivity when the game hasn't been out for more than a month. And like I said before, there are many other examples that he could have used to drive his message.

The example of FF QL I also agree. See if the game had not seen a re-release then sure, go ahead and talk all you want about spoilers but in this case there is a re-release to the game and there are a lot of new generations playing the game for the first time. That QL was pretty bad, because like someone said, they just started spouting spoilers for no real reason. It wasn't to further the conversation.

Not all gamers had the blessing some of us did of growing up alongside the entirety of gaming history and enjoying the game when it was released. So I also believe re-releases should be treated as new releases considering it is the first time many people experience said games. *see Game of Thrones example mentioned before*

Rayme

Half the point of a re-release is to get people playing it for their first time. If someone is 14 now, about to play FFX for their first time, that means they were, what, a 1-year-old when FFX came out? Good chance they never even had a PS2.

demidar

There could be people who have never played X before since it's so old, and now they get a good and easy chance to play it, so spoilers should be tagged.

Don't be spiteful just because you're old :p

Mully

There could be people who have never played X before since it's so old, and now they get a good and easy chance to play it, so spoilers should be tagged.

Don't be spiteful just because you're old :p

Like I said earlier, I might not be seeing everything but what about Bombastica's and remakes of early 90's and late 80's games? Should you be upset that you know a spoiler about a game being broadcasted then?

It's not GB's job to worry about whether you've seen a certain game. Their job is to either inform you about a game or advocate for one. Being upset that a 10+ year old game was spoilered is pretty ridiculous. It's not their job to ensure that everyone has seen a certain game. It's their job to talk about one, and they've done a great job at doing that.

Although a lot of people could have never played FFX (myself included) it's nearly a 15 year old game. It's obscure presently. It's really obscure when you look at how many people are playing traditional JRPGs. If you really wanted to play the game, you've had 15 years to play if or have understood its age and accepted that you'll hear about it at some point.

I'd like to reiterate the recent study which said that people who were spoiled enjoyed a specific film than those who were not spoiled the same film. I assume that a similar trend is in gaming. I do recommend you still play that game.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Like I said earlier, I might not be seeing everything but what about Bombastica's and remakes of early 90's and late 80's games? Should you be upset that you know a spoiler about a game being broadcasted then?

It's not GB's job to worry about whether you've seen a certain game. Their job is to either inform you about a game or advocate for one. Being upset that a 10+ year old game was spoilered is pretty ridiculous. It's not their job to ensure that everyone has seen a certain game. It's their job to talk about one, and they've done a great job at doing that.

Although a lot of people could have never played FFX (myself included) it's nearly a 15 year old game. It's obscure presently. It's really obscure when you look at how many people are playing traditional JRPGs. If you really wanted to play the game, you've had 15 years to play if or have understood its age and accepted that you'll hear about it at some point.

I'd like to reiterate the recent study which said that people who were spoiled enjoyed a specific film than those who were not spoiled the same film. I assume that a similar trend is in gaming. I do recommend you still play that game.

The goal of a quick look (like a review) is to inform the consumer about a product so it can help them make a purchasing decision.

It's reasonable to expect then that a person watching the quick look might be coming into the game fresh and thus, not want spoilers.

It's dumb to spoil something that's being rereleased simply because it is technically "old."

If someone has never heard of or seen MacBeth, and you're going with them to see a performance of it, would you tell them "Hey by the way MacBeth is killed by MacDuff and also he kills the king."

Of course not, because you recognize that it is still new to the person who will be experiencing it, so at that point the age of the work doesn't matter.

It's the context that's important.

demidar

The point is it's a re-release of an old game that allows people who've either had no previous means to play those games within an acceptable cost, who may have not heard of the game before because it's beyond the periphery of the new shit constantly flying in their faces, or both. That it's old doesn't change the fact that a lot of people will be mostly fresh-faced with regards to the re-release, so spoiling them is bad. X is again recent within the gaming audience's consciousness (a portion of which it will be a new experience), once it fades away again then spoilers can go unchecked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom