• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarmaCow

Jeff Gerstmann ‏@jeffgerstmann 4m

The number of podcast emails we’ve received from people in the Australian government this week is somewhat alarming.

lol

dfPlpko.png

Was it Jeff or Ryan who never really liked the Infamous games? Or both.

They where always a Brad and Vinny thing.

I think it was Jeff who didnt really give the first game a chance and played Prototype instead then eventually got around to it and was all "oh right. THIS is the good one" on the bombcast.

Also Hey! Remember Prototype?

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say

I think it was Jeff who didnt really give the first game a chance and played Prototype instead then eventually got around to it and was all "oh right. THIS is the good one" on the bombcast.

I actually enjoyed Prototype more than Infamous 1. Both had dumb stories and dumb characters that I didn't care about, but Prototype was fun to play whereas I found Infamous got very tedious at some point. Didn't help that it looked like muck to me compared to Prototype's crispness on the PC.

PBY

Banned
I actually enjoyed Prototype more than Infamous 1. Both had dumb stories and dumb characters that I didn't care about, but Prototype was fun to play whereas I found Infamous got very tedious at some point. Didn't help that it looked like muck to me compared to Prototype's crispness on the PC.
Lol same. I always thought prototype was wayyyyy better

jgminto

Prototype was just The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction without The Hulk, and The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction was the shit.

MG310

It did, but you could drop Macho Man flying elbows off of the top of skyscrapers and kick flying helicopters to death. It definitely had a few things going for it - especially with how quickly you could get around and then drop back into combat.

Those boss fights though...yeesh.

Massa

Outside dumb story and dumb characters and ugly graphics I don't see how anyone could dislike inFamous. :p It was my second favorite game that year, the controls just felt so right. Great mix of platforming and shooting in an open world sandbox.

M3z_

I think the better defensive argument would be that Giantbomb's success was built on their close friends everyone is buddy buddy image. They were a small start up with select friends and coworkers and they very much leaned into that image. The fear would be that in hiring too many dissenting opinions for the sake of diversity would tear away at that close nit feeling you get when listening to or watching GB content. That Giant Bomb from the start stated that they wanted to focus on delivering to a smaller audience with more specific commonalities rather than forcing themselves to cover everything. That just because they have become successful and developed a larger reach should not mean they have to now go back on their mission statement.

That is not to say that is my opinion, but that is the natural devil's advocate argument that comes to my head. Personally I just want them to do whatever they actually want because if their heart is in it I expect it to be good.

erawsd

Yep, me too. Prototype was everything I wanted out of super powers in an open world. I did enjoy Infamous 2 but the first one did nothing for me.

M3z_

Outside dumb story and dumb characters and ugly graphics I don't see how anyone could dislike inFamous. :p It was my second favorite game that year, the controls just felt so right. Great mix of platforming and shooting in an open world sandbox.

I don't think Infamous is a bad game I think it is definitely a good game, but I certainly had some issues with how it played. For one the enemy design was such that enemies were almost always very spread out and they all wanted to fight at distance taking pot shots at you and running when you tried to get close for melee. So it effectively became purely a shooter 90% of the time despite giving you fun tools that worked well in melee. The fact that enemies were usually spread out also limited your ability to have fun with AoE, and meant that you were constantly getting pecked at from 7 different locations. While that did not make the game harder it made it less fun. I also did not like the pea shooter personally.

Still a very good game though, and they did a ton of things right.

Aww yes, got shit nailed down for PAX East, finally. What GB stuff besides the panel (and the Rock Band night, which I've heard is no more) happens, if anything? Any after parties or whatevs?

Is your name a lost reference?
Not consciously, I just love the sounds of Latin. But I did love Lost for a long time, so who knows what my brain thought when I picked it?

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say

I certainly didn't think it was awful, but I just didn't enjoy the "action" as much as I did in Prototype. I had fun with it for a while, but I stopped playing a few hours in, then went back to it and stopped again with maybe a quarter of the game left. I can't remember exactly why, but I think I just got bored with it.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I've always thought prototype has some really shit mission designs.

Prototype had awful missions but I still enjoyed it more than Infamous. Superhero games are the only time I can get behind open world mayhem and Prototype did that pretty well.

I wasn't crazy enough to bother trying Prototype 2 though, while Infamous 2 was pretty decent.

Mesoian

Prototype had awful missions but I still enjoyed it more than Infamous. Superhero games are the only time I can get behind open world mayhem and Prototype did that pretty well.

I wasn't crazy enough to bother trying Prototype 2 though, while Infamous 2 was pretty decent.

It was a more interesting story than "20 something tries to fix his relationship with this girlfriend".

Both have pretty silly writing.

I never finished either.

I myself consider Prototype as a game that looks and plays like a middling PS2 game from 2003, and a hideous and cluncky PS360 game in 2009. No draw distance, low poly models with nary a detail texture, average 20 fps and gameplay that crashes and burns as soon as any amount of finesse is required. I can understand people not liking Infamous, I myself haven't been wooed by that series either so far, but c'mon, the gulf in quality between those games is enormous.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Funnily enough I got both Infamous 1 and prototype free. (Prototype came free with my arcade stick for whatever bizaare reason.

Finished Infamous and dropped prototype after awhile.

Probably would never have bought either, but I did enjoy infamous enough for me to be interested in second son.

obonicus

Prototype was just The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction without The Hulk, and The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction was the shit.

UD was the shit, but I didn't like Prototype as much. I missed weaponization, and though you had more powers all told than H:UD, it felt like you had fewer powers/combos available at one time, since you had to switch powersets to get to all of them.

Also, Alex Mercer was just a monster, while The Hulk could put people down and pat them on the head when you didn't feel like tossing them at buildings.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It was a more interesting story than "20 something tries to fix his relationship with this girlfriend".

Both have pretty silly writing.

I never finished either.

The story in both of them was pretty terrible, with unbearable characters all over the place. In Prototype I felt like I had superpowers, in Infamous I felt like I had lightning colored bullets and grenades. Except the enemies' bullet colored bullets were a lot more efficient, and I got bored of it all really quick.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I remember Prototype 2 having probably the worst story I have ever seen in a videogame. Still was fun enough to play. I just like running trough the city, grabbing a guy, running up a building and throwing him into a helicopter. Just stupid fun.

LuchaShaq

Banned

Prototype and red faction guerilla came out at the same time and were both better than infamous.

I mean it 100%

Infamous 1 was so incredibly uninspired with the powers.
Hey it's an electric....assault rifle.
Hey it's an electric ....uhh grenade
Sniper rifle
etc

90% of his non traversal abilities had a direct comparison.

Prototype had similarly mediocre combat, but at least a 5% interesting story (compared to the story/characters/dialogue in infamous being up there in worst of the gen) and a much more fun traversal mechanic.

Red Faction Guerilla was just amazing compared to them both but got no hype.

edit: forgot how HORRIBLE the motion comics in infamous were as well. That shit is cheap and trashy in a 99 cent ios game, has no place in a retail product, and the decisions being so blatantly kick the puppy/pet the puppy that there was never any reason not to go all one way or the other.

Red guerrilla was the best out of this strange trifecta that I'm not sure how it got introduced to.

Anyone saying prototype was better than infamous needs to be laughed straight into the asylum though.

I really wanted to like Prototype, but the execution was mediocre-to-poor. I enjoyed nothing about that game, aside from the premise that it was built upon.

I think Prototype would have been a lot more fun and well received if it was designed like Batman: Arkham Asylum, with more variation and utility for the powers as well as a stronger narrative. It also would have helped if it was just - you know, in general - a better-designed game.

Mr. F

Banned
Well I didn't like Infamous or Prototype. Beat that!

But really I don't know why, but the open world sandbox + super powers combination of gameplay never struck me as particularly engaging beyond dicking around for a little while. Same reason why I can't really get excited for Second Son, although it looking really gorgeous is starting to win me over.

Jintor

Red guerrilla was the best out of this strange trifecta that I'm not sure how it got introduced to.

Anyone saying prototype was better than infamous needs to be laughed straight into the asylum though.

I'm imagining Red Faction Guerilla if you could leap up buildings and throw tanks around by hand

fuuuuuuuck meeeeeeeeee

Geotech must be crazy expensive or require insane dev resources though cos I was so certain it would become standard in certain types of games. Instead it became an evolutionary dead end after RF:Armageddon died in a ditch

I like Infamous because you can grind on the rails or electrical wires then jump and float across large distances.

Red Faction Guerilla was amazing too because you could Jenga entire structures then take out a ting support beam to make the entire build collapse.

Pfft, everyone knows The Saboteur was the best open world action game of 2009. Come on guys...

I'm lying straight out of my ass

LuchaShaq

Banned
I played all 3 and Infamous felt the tightest. I liked that game so much that it was my 2nd platinum trophy. Sometimes tight mechanics can make a game.

I know taste is subjective but tight isn't in the top 100 things I'd say about infamous or it's controls or mechanics, hell if anything loose would be first.

Weird, maybe my hatred for the DS3 bled into my dislike for the mechanics and the feel of the game

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I know taste is subjective but tight isn't in the top 100 things I'd say about infamous or it's controls or mechanics, hell if anything loose would be first.

Weird, maybe my hatred for the DS3 bled into my dislike for the mechanics and the feel of the game

I don't know, I felt like Cole was always turning away from where I wanted him to be or grabbing something when I had no interest in him grabbing at a pole.

Mr. F

Banned
Anyone think it would be worth making a thread for the shitload of Interview Dumptrucks that are sure to come out this week? Two went up today alone and they're pretty interesting.

Jintor

Anyone think it would be worth making a thread for the shitload of Interview Dumptrucks that are sure to come out this week? Two went up today alone and they're pretty interesting.

yeah i was pretty into that first one with the lady from the not-playtesting company. (Not an insult, i forget what the thing was exactly)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Pfft, everyone knows The Saboteur was the best open world action game of 2009. Come on guys...

I'm lying straight out of my ass

Actually I would argue this. Loved Saboteur.

Though Red Faction Guerilla was pretty damn awesome, outside of the ridiculously cheap AI in gunfights on harder difficulties.

Infamous got really dull and Cole is one of the worst protagonists in gaming(especially awful in 2).

Skipped Prototype, but I probably would have enjoyed it given the comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom